Kate

Default Wrong .....

I'm so sorry. The word should have been rumtopf , that I am searching
for. Also, any new ways to preserve figs. Thank you kindly for any help,
in advance , hugs , kate
Bob (this one)

Kate wrote:
> I'm so sorry. The word should have been rumtopf , that I am searching
> for. Also, any new ways to preserve figs. Thank you kindly for any help,
> in advance , hugs , kate

I just collected several recipes and didn't use any of them exactly.
I've set up 12 gallons of fruit to boozing. X-mas gifts. Cherries (Binig
and Ranier), blueberries, pineapple, nectarines, plums, dried apricots,
dried cranberries, rum for some, vodka for others.

Pastorio

Here are the recipes I collected...
---------------------------
Dried fruit Rumtopf
This wonderfully rich and fruity preserve should be stored for at least
four weeks to allow the flavors to blend. For a quick and easy dessert,
serve decorated with an orange slice and a sprig of fresh mint.
115 gram (½ cup) granulated sugar
250 ml (1 cup) water
225 gram (2 cups) dried apricots (soaked and drained)
225 gram (2 cups) dried apricot halves
115 gram (2/3 cup) stoned prunes
115 gram (2/3 cup) semidried figs
115 gram (½ cup) dried apple rings
225 gram (1 cup) dried orange rings
5 ml (1 teaspoon) cloves
3 sticks cinnamon, halves
about 350 ml (1 ½ cups) dark rum or brandy
Put the sugar and water in a pan over a low heat. Stir until the sugar
has dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil, without stirring, for 5
minutes. Set aside to cool.
Pack the fruit into three dry, sterilized 450 gram jars, arranging in
layers. Divide the cloves, cinnamon sticks and syrup among the jars and
top up with rum or brandy, making sure to cover the fruit.
Cover and seal the jars and tip from side to side to blend the liquids.
Cool completely, then label and store in a cool place for up to 6 months.

-----------------
Untraditional Rumtopf.
• 4 500gram packs mixed frozen soft fruits © 4½lb)
• 2 lb 4oz caster sugar
• bottle of rum (or any spirit)
• 3 litre glass preserving jar
Tip fruit into large bowl. Add sugar. Leave overnight. Put into glass
jar and fill up with spirit. Try to leave for a few days before eating!
This is the best rumtopf I've ever tasted, having made it the
traditional way many times. I used organic fruit frozen without sugar.
Details about sugar added will be on the packet.

----------------------
Rumtopf

Use only a large thoroughly cleaned and dried two gallon glass jar or
stone crock with a lid. You may use any creative combination of ripe
firm fruits, (never bruised or over ripe) such as berries, cherries,
melons, apricots, peaches, plums or pears. Avoid citrus fruits, banana,
kiwi or apples.

Method: Wash fruits gently to remove spray substance, let stand to dry
on paper towels. Make sure they are dry. Core or pit fruits before
measuring them. The season begins with cherries and strawberries. They
make a good foundation for your rumtopf. Sprinkle fruit with 1 ½ cups of
sugar, cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Transfer berries into vessel
and pour enough rum into the vessel to cover the fruit with about one
inch above the fruit line. Cover the vessel with a lid and place in a
cool dark place. Stir the mixture gently, from the bottom, every three
to four days. As the season progresses, you will add more fruit, sugar
and rum in proportion, to cover. If you use melons, remove the rind and
seeds and cut them into bite size chunks. When you have fairly filled
your container with your selections of fruit, let it mature.

3 Cups cherries or strawberries for starter layer
2 cups each, raspberries, gooseberries, current, apricots, peaches,
melons, plums and pears.
10 cups super fine sugar (1 ½ cup per layer)
2 Qts white or dark Jamaican rum added as needed to cover each layer of
fruit.
Serve the finished sauce over Vanilla Ice Cream or as a topping for
fresh fruit salads, accompanied with yogurt. Can be spooned over pound
cake, angel food or an earthy cake like gingerbread, making for a
delicious dessert.
Makes About 2 Gallons

-------------------

German rumtopf
Yield: 1 Servings
3 Pears; cored & chopped
3 Oranges; peeled & chopped
1 c Strawberries
1 c Sugar
1 c Rum
Fill a large lidded crock with all the ingredients combined. Cover;
refrigerate about two weeks. Serve over ice cream or cake. As crock
empties, refill and let stand, then enjoy rumtopf again. Almost any
fruit, fresh or dried, can be used. For a lovely no-cook summer dessert,
try this. REQUIRES 2 WEEKS From <A Taste of Louisiana>. Downloaded from
Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.

----------------------
Rumtopf (fruit in rum)
Yield: 1 Servings
Sliced fruit such as peaches; nectarines; apricots, mangos; plums and
pineapple. Or small whole fruits like blueberries; blackberries,
currants; gooseberries, strawberries; or pitted cherries.
Granular sugar
Dark rum
Sterilize a large glass jar in boiling water (I used quart canning jars)
As fruit comes in season, alternately several inches of fruit in jar,
then add enough sugar to cover fruit( or sugar to taste) pour enough rom
to completely cover each layer of fruit mixture. cover jars( do not seal
canning jars just cover tops) Store in a cool dry place. keep adding
layers of different fruit, sugar and rum until jars are nearly full. The
amount of fruit sugar and rum will vary according to the size of jar and
fruit. using 2 cups of fruit and a half cup sugar per layer is a good
start for large jars. Figure about a half to one cup fruit less than
volume of jars.(an 8-cup jar will hold about 7-7 ½ cups of fruit..etc)
and allow enough head space for rum to cover top layer of fruit. For
best results select fruit that will retain shape and color. Apples,
pears, and bananas do not work well. Let fruit stand for several months.
To serve: Spoon fruit mixture over pound cake or ice cream.

-------------------------------
my mother always used to top up the rumtopf after Christmas with any
left over figs and dried apricots etc which always provided a good treat
at Easter. They do need to be quality fruits otherwise they disintegrate
although the disintegrated bits always made a nice topping for ice cream.

Kate

Bob (this one) wrote:
> [...]

> fruit. using 2 cups of fruit and a half cup sugar per layer is a good
> start for large jars. Figure about a half to one cup fruit less than
> volume of jars.(an 8-cup jar will hold about 7-7 ½ cups of fruit..etc)
> and allow enough head space for rum to cover top layer of fruit. For
> best results select fruit that will retain shape and color. Apples,
> pears, and bananas do not work well. Let fruit stand for several months.
> To serve: Spoon fruit mixture over pound cake or ice cream.
>
> -------------------------------
> my mother always used to top up the rumtopf after Christmas with any
> left over figs and dried apricots etc which always provided a good treat
> at Easter. They do need to be quality fruits otherwise they disintegrate
> although the disintegrated bits always made a nice topping for ice cream.

Thank you so very much for all this info. We just returned from
vacation to find more figs than I can handle. No one we know wants
them. And I really do hate to see anything so good go to waste. They are
not good keepers. So, do need to do something quick with them. Don't
really care to put up anymore. Jam, and that sort of thing. Thinking
about something like the rumtopf , I have heard about it . And also
branded fruit. Just don't know if figs are good in there. Will sure
think about the dried ones. Have a couple of dehydrators. But don't know
a lot about dried figs nor their use. hugs , kate
Bob (this one)

Kate wrote:

> Thank you so very much for all this info. We just returned from
> vacation to find more figs than I can handle. No one we know wants
> them. And I really do hate to see anything so good go to waste. They are
> not good keepers. So, do need to do something quick with them. Don't
> really care to put up anymore. Jam, and that sort of thing. Thinking
> about something like the rumtopf , I have heard about it. And also
> branded fruit. Just don't know if figs are good in there.

Fresh figs will likely fall apart. Their natural fragility doesn't hold
up well with the stirring.

> Will sure
> think about the dried ones. Have a couple of dehydrators. But don't know
> a lot about dried figs nor their use. hugs , kate

I've not dried figs, but I've certainly used dried ones in several
applications. First, just eat out of hand. Also, bar cookies topped with
processed figs, chicken stew with figs, stuffed pork roasts, infused
vinegars, processed with booze as a sauce...

Look around. There are lots of ways to use them.

Pastorio
Peter Aitken

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Kate wrote:
>
>> Thank you so very much for all this info. We just returned from vacation
>> to find more figs than I can handle. No one we know wants them. And I
>> really do hate to see anything so good go to waste. They are not good
>> keepers. So, do need to do something quick with them. Don't really care
>> to put up anymore. Jam, and that sort of thing. Thinking about something
>> like the rumtopf , I have heard about it. And also
>> branded fruit. Just don't know if figs are good in there.

> Fresh figs will likely fall apart. Their natural fragility doesn't hold up
> well with the stirring.
>
> > Will sure
>> think about the dried ones. Have a couple of dehydrators. But don't know
>> a lot about dried figs nor their use. hugs , kate

> I've not dried figs, but I've certainly used dried ones in several
> applications. First, just eat out of hand. Also, bar cookies topped with
> processed figs, chicken stew with figs, stuffed pork roasts, infused
> vinegars, processed with booze as a sauce...
>
> Look around. There are lots of ways to use them.
>
> Pastorio

Figs go very well with prosiutto de Parma.

--
Peter Aitken

sf

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:21:23 -0500, Kate wrote:

> I'm so sorry. The word should have been rumtopf , that I am searching
> for. Also, any new ways to preserve figs. Thank you kindly for any help,
> in advance , hugs , kate

I knew what you meant. I made it once and wasn't impressed... that's
why I didn't reply.
Kate

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Kate wrote:
>
>> Thank you so very much for all this info. We just returned from
>> vacation to find more figs than I can handle. No one we know wants
>> them. And I really do hate to see anything so good go to waste. They
>> are not good keepers. So, do need to do something quick with them.
>> Don't really care to put up anymore. Jam, and that sort of thing.
>> Thinking about something like the rumtopf , I have heard about it.
>> And also
>> branded fruit. Just don't know if figs are good in there.

> Fresh figs will likely fall apart. Their natural fragility doesn't hold
> up well with the stirring.
>
> > Will sure

>> think about the dried ones. Have a couple of dehydrators. But don't
>> know a lot about dried figs nor their use. hugs , kate

> I've not dried figs, but I've certainly used dried ones in several
> applications. First, just eat out of hand. Also, bar cookies topped with
> processed figs, chicken stew with figs, stuffed pork roasts, infused
> vinegars, processed with booze as a sauce...
>
> Look around. There are lots of ways to use them.
>
> Pastorio

Thanks again, but as I said, I need to get on this fig thing now ar
loose a lot of them. I do like them in lots of dishes , too. Preserving
in some new way is what I'm looking for. Other than the drying of them,
don't know what to do to catch up with the ones already ripe now. As I
said before. I don't want anymore jams nor preserves right now. I am
really considering hooking up the dehydrators and just letting them dry.
I will think more about the rumtopf for sure. I know I would love it.
You have been such a great help. What i found on the searches were not
nearly as informative. Nor helpful. hugs , kate
Bob (this one)

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote
>
>>Kate wrote:
>>
>>>We just returned from vacation
>>>to find more figs than I can handle. No one we know wants them. And I
>>>really do hate to see anything so good go to waste. They are not good
>>>keepers. So, do need to do something quick with them.

> Figs go very well with prosciutto de Parma.

And as often as possible.

Here's a good one...

Fresh Fig Clafouti
2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup AP flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound fresh figs, stems trimmed and cut lengthwise in half or into
quarters if large
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 10-inch tart pan and sprinkle with 1
tablespoon sugar, tilting to cover the inside. In bowl large enough to
hold everything, stir together flour, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar. In
another bowl, whisk together milk, cream, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly pour
milk mixture into flour mixture, whisking constantly. Pour into prepared
tart pan. Lay figs, cut sides up, in batter; dot with butter. Bake until
edge of custard is puffed and golden and knife inserted 1 inch from edge
comes out almost clean (center will not be set), 45 to 55 minutes. Cool
tart pan on wire rack; sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Let
stand 15 minutes to serve warm or cool for later service.

Pastorio
sf

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:30:47 -0500, Kate wrote:

> No one we know wants them.

I'd help you out if we were neighbors.

sf

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:54:08 -0500, Kate wrote:

> Other than the drying of them,
> don't know what to do to catch up with the ones already ripe now.

Look up recipes for spiced or pickled figs. Yummy stuff.

modom

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:21:23 -0500, Kate > wrote:

>I'm so sorry. The word should have been rumtopf , that I am searching
>for. Also, any new ways to preserve figs. Thank you kindly for any help,
>in advance , hugs , kate

Don't know about rumtopf, but I've been drying figs to beat the band
lately. I rinse them, slice them in half longitudinally, and set them
in the dehydrator for about 8 hours.

Also I've made fig leather and savory fig leather by blending a cup or
more fresh figs to a puree and either drying them straight or spicing
them with lemon juice and zest, salt, black pepper, rosemary and
chiles. The savory stuff works well with goat cheese (chevre or
bucheron) and maybe a little cucumber as a snack/appetizer. Note
however, last year's savory fig leather batch got weevils in it after
a couple of months. I stored it in a baggie in the pantry. This
year, I'm freezing it after drying. I blame the black pepper for the
weevil problem.

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde
Kate

modom wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:21:23 -0500, Kate > wrote:
>

>>I'm so sorry. The word should have been rumtopf , that I am searching
>>for. Also, any new ways to preserve figs. Thank you kindly for any help,
>>in advance , hugs , kate

> Don't know about rumtopf, but I've been drying figs to beat the band
> lately. I rinse them, slice them in half longitudinally, and set them
> in the dehydrator for about 8 hours.
>
> Also I've made fig leather and savory fig leather by blending a cup or
> more fresh figs to a puree and either drying them straight or spicing
> them with lemon juice and zest, salt, black pepper, rosemary and
> chiles. The savory stuff works well with goat cheese (chevre or
> bucheron) and maybe a little cucumber as a snack/appetizer. Note
> however, last year's savory fig leather batch got weevils in it after
> a couple of months. I stored it in a baggie in the pantry. This
> year, I'm freezing it after drying. I blame the black pepper for the
> weevil problem.
>

> modom
>
> Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
> -- Oscar Wilde

I have decided the dehydrator is the best route . At least until I get
caught up and maybe even throw them into the freezer. Had not thought
about a bug problem with the dried ones. Guess they can be a problem,
any time though. I appreciate your taking the time to help me. hugs , kate