Von Fourche

Default How to Make Gomme/Sugar Syrup?

I'm a cooking newbie so need some help with some simple instructions.

I'm currently trying my hand at making tropical drinks. One ingratiate
that many drinks have is gomme/sugar syrup.

I have a book with tropical drink recipes and it includes instructions
on making my own sugar syrup.

I need help with the instructions. Here they a

1. Gradually stir 2 cups of granulated sugar into
1 cup of boiling water in a saucepan.

2. Bring to the boil and simmer.

3. Skim it, leave to cool, and pour into small, clean bottles.

4. Store in a dark cupboard.

Ok, I know how to bring water to a boil (when it all bubbles) but what
does it mean to simmer and then skim it? After it boils then how do I go
about simmering it and skimming it?

Also, do stores even sell gomme syrup for drinks?

Is there a better way to make this syrup?

Thanks for the info and help!

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Von Fourche wrote on 21 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I'm a cooking newbie so need some help with some simple
> instructions.
>
> I'm currently trying my hand at making tropical drinks. One
> ingratiate
> that many drinks have is gomme/sugar syrup.
>
> I have a book with tropical drink recipes and it includes
> instructions
> on making my own sugar syrup.
>
> I need help with the instructions. Here they a
>
> 1. Gradually stir 2 cups of granulated sugar into
> 1 cup of boiling water in a saucepan.
>
> 2. Bring to the boil and simmer.
>
> 3. Skim it, leave to cool, and pour into small, clean
> bottles.
>
> 4. Store in a dark cupboard.
>

> Ok, I know how to bring water to a boil (when it all bubbles)
> but what
> does it mean to simmer and then skim it? After it boils then how
> do I go about simmering it and skimming it?
>
> Also, do stores even sell gomme syrup for drinks?
>
> Is there a better way to make this syrup?
>
> Thanks for the info and help!

When boiling the water/liquid will bubble up, roll and be quite active
in the pot. Called a rolling boil. Simering is when there is only a few
bubbles around the edge of the pot and the water is resonably still.

Skim is to remove the floating crud, scum or foam from the
surface...involves the gentle use of a large spoon to remove the
unwanted stuff and very little of the syrup. You carefully dip the
spoon in the liquid in a manner that collects the unwanted material on
the surface and little of the syrup underneath.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
jmcquown

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> Von Fourche wrote on 21 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Ok, I know how to bring water to a boil (when it all bubbles)
>> but what
>> does it mean to simmer and then skim it? After it boils then how
>> do I go about simmering it and skimming it?
>>
>> Also, do stores even sell gomme syrup for drinks?
>>
>> Is there a better way to make this syrup?
>>
>> Thanks for the info and help!
>>

> When boiling the water/liquid will bubble up, roll and be quite active
> in the pot. Called a rolling boil. Simering is when there is only a
> few bubbles around the edge of the pot and the water is resonably
> still.
>
> Skim is to remove the floating crud, scum or foam from the
> surface...involves the gentle use of a large spoon to remove the
> unwanted stuff and very little of the syrup. You carefully dip the
> spoon in the liquid in a manner that collects the unwanted material on
> the surface and little of the syrup underneath.

The OP could also use a small mesh strainer (probably easier), but I find it
rather odd one would need to skim simple syrup. Just stir it well as it
simmers and make sure all the sugar melts.

Jill

Von Fourche

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> Von Fourche wrote on 21 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > I'm a cooking newbie so need some help with some simple
> > instructions.
> >
> > I'm currently trying my hand at making tropical drinks. One
> > ingratiate
> > that many drinks have is gomme/sugar syrup.
> >
> > I have a book with tropical drink recipes and it includes
> > instructions
> > on making my own sugar syrup.
> >
> > I need help with the instructions. Here they a
> >
> > 1. Gradually stir 2 cups of granulated sugar into
> > 1 cup of boiling water in a saucepan.
> >
> > 2. Bring to the boil and simmer.
> >
> > 3. Skim it, leave to cool, and pour into small, clean
> > bottles.
> >
> > 4. Store in a dark cupboard.
> >

> > Ok, I know how to bring water to a boil (when it all bubbles)
> > but what
> > does it mean to simmer and then skim it? After it boils then how
> > do I go about simmering it and skimming it?
> >
> > Also, do stores even sell gomme syrup for drinks?
> >
> > Is there a better way to make this syrup?
> >
> > Thanks for the info and help!
> >

> When boiling the water/liquid will bubble up, roll and be quite active
> in the pot. Called a rolling boil. Simering is when there is only a few
> bubbles around the edge of the pot and the water is resonably still.

So, are the instructions saying boil first and then bring it down to a
simmer? Or just simmer?

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Von Fourche wrote on 22 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> > Von Fourche wrote on 21 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
> >

> > > I'm a cooking newbie so need some help with some simple
> > > instructions.
> > >
> > > I'm currently trying my hand at making tropical drinks.
> > > One ingratiate
> > > that many drinks have is gomme/sugar syrup.
> > >
> > > I have a book with tropical drink recipes and it includes
> > > instructions
> > > on making my own sugar syrup.
> > >
> > > I need help with the instructions. Here they a
> > >
> > > 1. Gradually stir 2 cups of granulated sugar into
> > > 1 cup of boiling water in a saucepan.
> > >
> > > 2. Bring to the boil and simmer.
> > >
> > > 3. Skim it, leave to cool, and pour into small, clean
> > > bottles.
> > >
> > > 4. Store in a dark cupboard.
> > >

> > > Ok, I know how to bring water to a boil (when it all
> > > bubbles) but what
> > > does it mean to simmer and then skim it? After it boils then
> > > how do I go about simmering it and skimming it?
> > >
> > > Also, do stores even sell gomme syrup for drinks?
> > >
> > > Is there a better way to make this syrup?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the info and help!
> > >

> > When boiling the water/liquid will bubble up, roll and be quite
> > active in the pot. Called a rolling boil. Simering is when there
> > is only a few bubbles around the edge of the pot and the water
> > is resonably still.

> So, are the instructions saying boil first and then bring it
> down to a
> simmer? Or just simmer?

It's just a syrup...you are just trying to get all that sugar to
dissolve. Bring to a good boil with the sugar in the pot stirring a
lot. remove from the heat...to hell with the simmering....no need
unless there are other flavourings that need to infuse. Heating the
water will aid in dissolving the sugar. It would hurt if you put in the
all the sugar first or added it gradually. Nothing can be hurt or go
bad...you just want all the sugar to dissolve. There probably won't be
anything to skim.

My instructions....
in a pot over medium high heat put 1 cup water and 2 cups
sugar....bring to a boil while stirring...once all the sugar has
dissolved remove from heat...remove any foam and bottle.

If the sugar has all dissolved before it boils that's ok...move to the
remove foam cool and bottle step. If it takes a while after reaching a
boil for the sugar to dissolve thats ok too... move on to the foam
removal and bottling step.

Let the mixture cool and put in clean bottles and store in a dark
cupboard.

Wait till you try caramel....or custard to worry

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Von Fourche

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> Von Fourche wrote on 22 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> > > Von Fourche wrote on 21 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> > > When boiling the water/liquid will bubble up, roll and be quite
> > > active in the pot. Called a rolling boil. Simering is when there
> > > is only a few bubbles around the edge of the pot and the water
> > > is resonably still.

> > So, are the instructions saying boil first and then bring it
> > down to a
> > simmer? Or just simmer?
> >

> It's just a syrup...you are just trying to get all that sugar to
> dissolve. Bring to a good boil with the sugar in the pot stirring a
> lot. remove from the heat...to hell with the simmering....no need
> unless there are other flavourings that need to infuse. Heating the
> water will aid in dissolving the sugar. It would hurt if you put in the
> all the sugar first or added it gradually. Nothing can be hurt or go
> bad...you just want all the sugar to dissolve. There probably won't be
> anything to skim.
>
> My instructions....
> in a pot over medium high heat put 1 cup water and 2 cups
> sugar....bring to a boil while stirring...once all the sugar has
> dissolved remove from heat...remove any foam and bottle.
>
> If the sugar has all dissolved before it boils that's ok...move to the
> remove foam cool and bottle step. If it takes a while after reaching a
> boil for the sugar to dissolve thats ok too... move on to the foam
> removal and bottling step.
>
> Let the mixture cool and put in clean bottles and store in a dark
> cupboard.
>

> Wait till you try caramel....or custard to worry

Thanks for the info!

Perishability of sugar syrup? Adam Funk[_2_] Winemaking 4 12-10-2008 09:49 PM
Sugar syrup PanHandler Recipes 0 29-12-2005 05:49 PM
Need Help making Gomme/Surgar Syrup Von Fourche General 8 24-07-2005 06:40 PM
Making Sugar Syrup Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 9 27-06-2004 06:26 PM
how long will sugar syrup keep? Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 0 17-06-2004 05:08 AM