Daisy

Default Help with freezing please

I like to be able to freeze small lots of whatever. Is it better to
wrap the stuff to be frozen in clingwrap first and then put into a
freezer container. The reason I ask is that sometimes I find I have
freezer-burn on things I have frozen.

Let's say I want to freeze off a couple of small steaks. If I simply
put them in a suitable container and then place cling-wrap or freezer
wrap around, the meat will get crystals and some freezer burn quite
quickly. Do you think I should wrap each item separately in either
foil or cling-wrap and then seal in a container and seal again?

I'd really like a solution to this ongoing probem. Thanks

Cheers

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
jmcquown

Daisy wrote:
> Let's say I want to freeze off a couple of small steaks. If I simply
> put them in a suitable container and then place cling-wrap or freezer
> wrap around, the meat will get crystals and some freezer burn quite
> quickly. Do you think I should wrap each item separately in either
> foil or cling-wrap and then seal in a container and seal again?
>
> I'd really like a solution to this ongoing probem. Thanks
>
> Cheers
>

> Daisy

Your best bet would be to buy a vacuum sealer. Or use Ziplock freezer bags
rather than the cling-wrap plastic stuff; squeeze out as much of the air as
possible prior to zipping them closed. Also, get a marker and write the
date on the package so you know how long it's been there. I rarely have any
problems with freezer burn unless it gets buried in the freezer for a year.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 21 Jul 2005 01:52:20a, Daisy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I like to be able to freeze small lots of whatever. Is it better to
> wrap the stuff to be frozen in clingwrap first and then put into a
> freezer container. The reason I ask is that sometimes I find I have
> freezer-burn on things I have frozen.
>
> Let's say I want to freeze off a couple of small steaks. If I simply
> put them in a suitable container and then place cling-wrap or freezer
> wrap around, the meat will get crystals and some freezer burn quite
> quickly. Do you think I should wrap each item separately in either
> foil or cling-wrap and then seal in a container and seal again?
>
> I'd really like a solution to this ongoing probem. Thanks

One of the first rules of freezing food is to eliminate as much air as
possible. In the case of meats, I wrap tightly in cling wrap, followed by
wrapping tightly in heavy duty foil. There is seldom any freezer burn
wrapped this way.

In the case of liquid or semi-solid food packed in a container, it helps if
you place a piece of cling wrap directly on the top surface of the food
before putting on the lid.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-1, 07/20/2005
Tested on: 7/21/2005 2:58:54 AM

Edwin Pawlowski

"Daisy" > wrote in message
>I like to be able to freeze small lots of whatever. Is it better to
> wrap the stuff to be frozen in clingwrap first and then put into a
> freezer container. The reason I ask is that sometimes I find I have
> freezer-burn on things I have frozen.

FoodSaver vacuum sealer. Never see ice crystals again.

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Daisy > wrote:

> I like to be able to freeze small lots of whatever. Is it better to
> wrap the stuff to be frozen in clingwrap first and then put into a
> freezer container. The reason I ask is that sometimes I find I have
> freezer-burn on things I have frozen.
>
> Let's say I want to freeze off a couple of small steaks. If I simply
> put them in a suitable container and then place cling-wrap or freezer
> wrap around, the meat will get crystals and some freezer burn quite
> quickly. Do you think I should wrap each item separately in either
> foil or cling-wrap and then seal in a container and seal again?
>
> I'd really like a solution to this ongoing probem. Thanks

This depends to a large extent on the type of food you are freezing, but
in general, you want to get the air out of the package before you put it
in your freezer. For steaks, wrap them separately and tightly in plastic
wrap and make sure you press out off the air. The steaks should be fine
for a few months in your freezer.

MOMPEAGRAM

"Daisy" > wrote in message
>I like to be able to freeze small lots of whatever. Is it better to
> wrap the stuff to be frozen in clingwrap first and then put into a
> freezer container. The reason I ask is that sometimes I find I have
> freezer-burn on things I have frozen.
>
> Let's say I want to freeze off a couple of small steaks. If I simply
> put them in a suitable container and then place cling-wrap or freezer
> wrap around, the meat will get crystals and some freezer burn quite
> quickly. Do you think I should wrap each item separately in either
> foil or cling-wrap and then seal in a container and seal again?
>
> I'd really like a solution to this ongoing probem. Thanks
>
> Cheers
>

> Daisy

It doesn't matter how you "wrap" it, you will have these problems. Only
solution is vacuum sealing with heavy sealing bags. Have to remove the air.

limey

"Daisy" wrote in message

> Let's say I want to freeze off a couple of small steaks. If I simply
> put them in a suitable container and then place cling-wrap or freezer
> wrap around, the meat will get crystals and some freezer burn quite
> quickly. Do you think I should wrap each item separately in either
> foil or cling-wrap and then seal in a container and seal again?
>
> I'd really like a solution to this ongoing probem. Thanks
>
> Daisy

I tightly wrap individual steaks in cling wrap, place the required number in
Ziploc freezer bags and press out all the air. I have already marked the
bags with the contents and date. I'm not exaggerating - I've not found a
trace of freezer burn ever. In fact, we found a couple of overlooked,
buried steaks the other day marked 10/5/2002 and they were absolutely fine.
( had one and I'm picky about steak.)

The same goes for anything else I have frozen, except I use up quickly items
that are in the door shelves. They are usually things in plastic
containers, like spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, etc. Haven't sprung for a
Foodsaver at this point. HTH.

Dora

limey wrote:
> "Daisy" wrote in message
> >
> > Let's say I want to freeze off a couple of small steaks. If I simply
> > put them in a suitable container and then place cling-wrap or freezer
> > wrap around, the meat will get crystals and some freezer burn quite
> > quickly. Do you think I should wrap each item separately in either
> > foil or cling-wrap and then seal in a container and seal again?
> >
> > I'd really like a solution to this ongoing probem. Thanks
> >
> > Daisy

> I tightly wrap individual steaks in cling wrap, place the required number in
> Ziploc freezer bags and press out all the air. I have already marked the
> bags with the contents and date. I'm not exaggerating - I've not found a
> trace of freezer burn ever. In fact, we found a couple of overlooked,
> buried steaks the other day marked 10/5/2002 and they were absolutely fine.
> ( had one and I'm picky about steak.)
>
> The same goes for anything else I have frozen, except I use up quickly items
> that are in the door shelves. They are usually things in plastic
> containers, like spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, etc. Haven't sprung for a
> Foodsaver at this point. HTH.
>
> Dora

I've switched from ordinary plastic wrap to "Press 'n Seal" freezer
wrap - that stuff is terrific. Press it down all around and over the
food item. You can put it in the freezer without bagging it, or you
can toss it in a Ziplock first. If you don't want to invest in a
Food-Saver unit, you can suck all the air out of a bag with a straw -
that helps a little, especially if the contents of the bag are liquidy
and you can't use Press 'n Seal.

N.

limey

> wrote in message >
> limey wrote:
>>
>> I tightly wrap individual steaks in cling wrap, place the required number
>> in
>> Ziploc freezer bags and press out all the air. I have already marked
>> the
>> bags with the contents and date. I'm not exaggerating - I've not found
>> trace of freezer burn ever. In fact, we found a couple of overlooked,
>> buried steaks the other day marked 10/5/2002 and they were absolutely
>> fine.
>> ( had one and I'm picky about steak.)

>> Haven't sprung for a
>> Foodsaver at this point. HTH.
>>
>> Dora

> I've switched from ordinary plastic wrap to "Press 'n Seal" freezer
> wrap - that stuff is terrific. Press it down all around and over the
> food item. You can put it in the freezer without bagging it, or you
> can toss it in a Ziplock first. If you don't want to invest in a
> Food-Saver unit, you can suck all the air out of a bag with a straw -
> that helps a little, especially if the contents of the bag are liquidy
> and you can't use Press 'n Seal.
>
> N.

Thanks, Nancy, that sounds like a good idea and I'll have to try it. I've
wrestled with getting a Foodsaver because we're kitchen appliance freaks and
I'm running out of space! (Now, if I can just get rid of that Jack LaLanne
juicer I'll have it made.)

Dora

Freezing Ham [email protected] General Cooking 2 08-12-2010 12:18 AM
Freezing [email protected] Preserving 2 21-07-2007 06:25 PM
Re-Freezing OJ Terry General Cooking 1 11-11-2006 06:07 AM
What about freezing this George Newton General Cooking 5 15-10-2005 03:36 AM
Freezing news.verizon.net Beer 6 11-01-2004 09:22 PM