FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cold drinks (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/65764-cold-drinks.html)

[email protected] 20-07-2005 09:05 PM

Cold drinks

Does anyone know why it is so darn difficult to get a really cold drink
when away from home. At home, no problem--I come in from working
outside in 95 degree heat and take a heavy glass tumbler from the
freezer, fill it with peach flavored Arizona diet black tea from the
fridge, and I have a darn cold refreshing drink.

In a restaurant or fast food place, can you get a cold glass of tea or
soda? Hell, no. All you will get is a styrofoam cup with warm drink and
lots of ice cubes, which not only don't do a very good job of cooling
the drink, but also dilute it and destroy the flavor.

I don't drink sodas, but what do Coca Cola Classic cognoscenti think
about having their favorite beverage diluted with melted water?

So is there some commercial advantage to diluting drinks with ice
instead of serving drinks that are really cold? It occurs to me that
maybe the advantage lies in serving what looks like a huge drink, but
is really a small one filled out with lots of hollow ice cubes, but
this is purely speculation. Any ideas?

Incidentally, if I do want a cold drink when out, I find the best thing
to do is to go to a supermarket and get a can or bottle of drink, and
then place it betwixt the bags of ice in the ice cabinet for a few
minutes before taking it to the checkout.

levelwave 21-07-2005 01:03 AM

wrote:

> Incidentally, if I do want a cold drink when out, I find the best thing
> to do is to go to a supermarket and get a can or bottle of drink, and
> then place it betwixt the bags of ice in the ice cabinet for a few
> minutes before taking it to the checkout.

I prefer all of my drinks, outside of beer (wine) to have lots'a
ice-cubes. Pouring a cold Coke into ice filled glass doesn't water it
down enough to fret in the time it takes me to drink it...

~john

aem 21-07-2005 01:15 AM

wrote:
> Does anyone know why it is so darn difficult to get a really cold drink
> when away from home. [snip]

I dunno, but it's darn easy to find a bar that will give you a cold
draft beer in a frosted mug. That'll cool you off and refresh you
better than tea or soda or tall glasses full of ice cubes. -aem

Dave Smith 21-07-2005 01:15 AM

levelwave wrote:

> I prefer all of my drinks, outside of beer (wine) to have lots'a
> ice-cubes. Pouring a cold Coke into ice filled glass doesn't water it
> down enough to fret in the time it takes me to drink it...

Most definitely true about beer. It can be kept on ice to cool, but never put
ice cubes in it. I once learned something very useful from watching
television. Lou Grant told Mary Richards how to drink Scotch. His advice was
to get some goof Scotch and a nice glass. Put some ice in the glass and pour
in a good shot of Scotch. Swirl it around a bit and keep tasting it. When the
enough of the ice has melted to make it perfect, knock it back.

Doug Kanter 21-07-2005 01:41 AM

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> Does anyone know why it is so darn difficult to get a really cold drink
>> when away from home. [snip]
>>

> I dunno, but it's darn easy to find a bar that will give you a cold
> draft beer in a frosted mug. That'll cool you off and refresh you
> better than tea or soda or tall glasses full of ice cubes. -aem

Actually, alcohol diminishes your ability to deal with heat. Maybe not a
problem if you're staying in an air conditioned place, but outdoors, wrong
drink.

S'mee [AKA Jani] 24-07-2005 08:23 PM

One time on Usenet, levelwave > said:
> wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, if I do want a cold drink when out, I find the best thing
> > to do is to go to a supermarket and get a can or bottle of drink, and
> > then place it betwixt the bags of ice in the ice cabinet for a few
> > minutes before taking it to the checkout.

> I prefer all of my drinks, outside of beer (wine) to have lots'a
> ice-cubes. Pouring a cold Coke into ice filled glass doesn't water it
> down enough to fret in the time it takes me to drink it...

Speaking of watering down, I wondered the other day why one couldn't
use frozen grapes (a favorite snack) in place of ice cubes, 'cuz they
wouldn't water down a drink. Too bad the shape makes them a choking
hazard...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~