Mary

Default More About Chicken Broth

Since canned chicken broth does not gel is it safe
to assume that it is made without bones?

Sheldon

Mary wrote:
> Since canned chicken broth does not gel is it safe
> to assume that it is made without bones?

No, it's safe to assume the gelatin has been separated (precipitated
out) from the stock, to be used as, well gelatin. Canned stock is
really nothing more than reconstituted bouillon cubes, folks think it
tastes better only because it contains fat... most foods taste better
with fat.

Peter Aitken

"Mary" > wrote in message

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>

>> Mary wrote:
>> > Since canned chicken broth does not gel is it safe
>> > to assume that it is made without bones?

>> No, it's safe to assume the gelatin has been separated (precipitated
>> out) from the stock, to be used as, well gelatin. Canned stock is
>> really nothing more than reconstituted bouillon cubes, folks think it
>> tastes better only because it contains fat... most foods taste better
>> with fat.
>>

> Oh. Well I guess there will be no shortcuts taken to my usual
> chicken soup made from my own stock.
>
> How do they "precipitate out" the gelatin? What do you mean
> by that?

You go a lot of inaccurate information n the first reply. Gelatin comes
almost entirely from bones and skin, not meat, so non-setting stock probably
was made from all or mostly meat. Commercial gelatin is made from pigskin
mostly and also bones - it is not extracted from stock. And canned stock is
certainly not made from bullion cubes. Many canned stocks are awful but I
find the Swansons to be quite good. Not homemade but certainly usable in a
pinch.

--
Peter Aitken

Sheldon

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Mary" > wrote in message
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> No, it's safe to assume the gelatin has been separated (precipitated
> >> out) from the stock, to be used as, well gelatin. Canned stock is
> >> really nothing more than reconstituted bouillon cubes, folks think it
> >> tastes better only because it contains fat... most foods taste better
> >> with fat.
> >>

> > Oh. Well I guess there will be no shortcuts taken to my usual
> > chicken soup made from my own stock.
> >
> > How do they "precipitate out" the gelatin? What do you mean
> > by that?
> >

> You go a lot of inaccurate information n the first reply. Gelatin comes
> almost entirely from bones and skin, not meat, so non-setting stock probably
> was made from all or mostly meat. Commercial gelatin is made from pigskin
> mostly and also bones - it is not extracted from stock. And canned stock is
> certainly not made from bullion cubes. Many canned stocks are awful but I
> find the Swansons to be quite good. Not homemade but certainly usable in a
> pinch.

Geeze, how do you think any gelatin is purified.

You are the one who's misinformed. Commercial gelatin is made mostly
from animal hides, all types, and chopped up bones ... but not poultry,
poultry skin contains little gelatin, mostly it's fat... can certainly
prove that easily enough at home. Commercial gelatin needs to be
separated too, they have ways.

Commercial stock is made from connective tissue, not bones per se, not
much from meat considering how yoose garbage hoarders do stock too...
it's from the connective tissue that holds the meat together and the
meat to the bones... the bones would need to be chopped up to extract
their gelatin, and then the resultant stock would be awful... for
commercial gelatin the bones are chopped up, but there no stock is
being made. Canned/commercial stock is made from animal scraps, very
little meat is included, certainly none that can be sold as meat
cuts... mostly its what's left after all the meat cuts are removed,
animal carcasses are inclueded but after the meat is removed. Poultry
carcasses are held together with a substantial quantity of connective
tissue, being how bird skeletons need to be of very light weight.
Commercial stock is a big business, gelatin even bigger. Gelatin is
valuable in the pharmaceutical indusry, and cosmetics, and many other
commercial endeavers having nothing to do with food. Exactly how the
gelatin is separated from commercial stock vats is something to ask a
food chemist but there is lots of precise chemical info on the net.
Btw, the stock is of secondary importance, which is why they steal the
gelatin, then doctor up the sludge that remains and sell it to yoose...
they either add back water and can it or evaporate the remaining water
and sell it as cubes/powder.

http://www.rense.com/general5/theory.htm

How to make chicken fat into chicken broth for soup? Seekingsuggestions. Gold Finch General Cooking 21 27-04-2010 07:04 AM
Chicken Broth ULB General Cooking 26 26-10-2006 10:31 PM
Chicken And Broth T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2005 10:19 PM
Chicken broth biig General Cooking 35 23-10-2005 03:01 PM
chicken broth Mary Jo Oliver General Cooking 17 22-09-2004 02:07 PM