Yeff

Default The "All Men are *******s" Knife Block

Picture he <http://www.fototime.com/484AC2DD12B4F59/orig.jpg>

--

-Jeff B. (who thought all men are dogs)
zoomie at fastmail fm
day dreamer@dream .com@

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:55:08 GMT, Yeff > wrote:

>Picture he <http://www.fototime.com/484AC2DD12B4F59/orig.jpg>

Maybe the name of that thing should be rethought. If it were true then
what would that make the mothers of these *******s?

kalanamak

Yeff wrote:
> Picture he <http://www.fototime.com/484AC2DD12B4F59/orig.jpg>

I think it should be called "dinner guests who no show and never call".
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 03:06:25p, kalanamak wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Yeff wrote:
>> Picture he <http://www.fototime.com/484AC2DD12B4F59/orig.jpg>
>>

> I think it should be called "dinner guests who no show and never call".

I will never forget a very small but elaborate dinner party I had planned
for two guests, my partner and myself. We had not socialized in our home
with them before so this was a "first dinner". The two guests were also
friends of each other and had planned to drive together. They were due to
arrive at 7pm for cocktails, then dinner around 8pm.

7pm came and went...no guests; 8pm came and went...no guests. 9pm came, no
guests, and the dinner was ruined. When I was finally able to reach one of
them just before 10pm, I was told they had decided to do something else!
No other explanation. Luckily, they were not in the presence of me and my
knives. Needless to say, they were never invited again.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-0, 07/18/2005
Tested on: 7/18/2005 7:46:09 PM

TammyM

On 19 Jul 2005 04:50:34 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 18 Jul 2005 03:06:25p, kalanamak wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Yeff wrote:
>>> Picture he <http://www.fototime.com/484AC2DD12B4F59/orig.jpg>
>>>

>> I think it should be called "dinner guests who no show and never call".

>I will never forget a very small but elaborate dinner party I had planned
>for two guests, my partner and myself. We had not socialized in our home
>with them before so this was a "first dinner". The two guests were also
>friends of each other and had planned to drive together. They were due to
>arrive at 7pm for cocktails, then dinner around 8pm.
>
>7pm came and went...no guests; 8pm came and went...no guests. 9pm came, no
>guests, and the dinner was ruined. When I was finally able to reach one of
>them just before 10pm, I was told they had decided to do something else!
>No other explanation. Luckily, they were not in the presence of me and my
>knives. Needless to say, they were never invited again.

I have a voodoo doll for such occasions, Wayne. And the right pins
:-)

TammyM

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 09:49:36p, TammyM wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 19 Jul 2005 04:50:34 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> I think it should be called "dinner guests who no show and never
>>> call".

>>I will never forget a very small but elaborate dinner party I had
>>planned for two guests, my partner and myself. We had not socialized in
>>our home with them before so this was a "first dinner". The two guests
>>were also friends of each other and had planned to drive together. They
>>were due to arrive at 7pm for cocktails, then dinner around 8pm.
>>
>>7pm came and went...no guests; 8pm came and went...no guests. 9pm came,
>>no guests, and the dinner was ruined. When I was finally able to reach
>>one of them just before 10pm, I was told they had decided to do
>>something else! No other explanation. Luckily, they were not in the
>>presence of me and my knives. Needless to say, they were never invited
>>again.

> I have a voodoo doll for such occasions, Wayne. And the right pins
>:-)
>
> TammyM

I could certainly have used it! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-0, 07/18/2005
Tested on: 7/18/2005 10:02:34 PM

pjjehg

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote >
>> Yeff wrote:
>>> Picture he <http://www.fototime.com/484AC2DD12B4F59/orig.jpg>

> I will never forget a very small but elaborate dinner party I had planned
> for two guests, my partner and myself. We had not socialized in our home
> with them before so this was a "first dinner". The two guests were also
> friends of each other and had planned to drive together. They were due to
> arrive at 7pm for cocktails, then dinner around 8pm.
>
> 7pm came and went...no guests; 8pm came and went...no guests. 9pm came,
> no
> guests, and the dinner was ruined. When I was finally able to reach one
> of
> them just before 10pm, I was told they had decided to do something else!
> No other explanation. Luckily, they were not in the presence of me and my
> knives. Needless to say, they were never invited again.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Man, that is so far beyond rude, even abuse!

Pam

Andy

"pjjehg" > wrote in
:

>> I will never forget a very small but elaborate dinner party I had
>> planned for two guests, my partner and myself. We had not socialized
>> in our home with them before so this was a "first dinner". The two
>> guests were also friends of each other and had planned to drive
>> together. They were due to arrive at 7pm for cocktails, then dinner
>> around 8pm.
>>
>> 7pm came and went...no guests; 8pm came and went...no guests. 9pm
>> came, no
>> guests, and the dinner was ruined. When I was finally able to reach
>> one of
>> them just before 10pm, I was told they had decided to do something
>> else! No other explanation. Luckily, they were not in the presence
>> of me and my knives. Needless to say, they were never invited again.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Man, that is so far beyond rude, even abuse!
>
> Pam

Put some of the meal in two boxes, wrap them really good and ship them
"last class" mail to the no-shows.

Andy's evil twin
Dave Smith

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> 7pm came and went...no guests; 8pm came and went...no guests. 9pm came, no
> guests, and the dinner was ruined. When I was finally able to reach one of
> them just before 10pm, I was told they had decided to do something else!
> No other explanation. Luckily, they were not in the presence of me and my
> knives. Needless to say, they were never invited again.

Some people are amazing. My wife has a friend who is no longer invited for
dinner because she was so late on two occasions. The second time had been a
last minute invitation, Sunday night and we had a large roast, so my wife
called her at 4 pm. told her to come for drinks at 5 dinner at 6. At 6 pm my
wife called to see where she was, but there as no answer, 6:30 and still no
answer. She lives three minutes away by car. She showed up at 7. It turned out
that after being invited out, she hopped into her car and drive to another town
to a craft show.

She was never called and invited for dinner after that, but one day she was
here helping my wife with a project and I invited her to stay for supper. She
accepted the invitation, but had to go home to feed the cat, the same cat that
she often leaves at home for days at a time. She came back two hours later.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to listen to the whining about how she
unfairly lost her teaching job and how she is having so much trouble finding a
decent job.

Gregory Morrow

Dave Smith wrote:

> It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to listen to the whining about how

she
> unfairly lost her teaching job and how she is having so much trouble

finding a
> decent job.

The motto here is "Don't be late for class!" ;-)

--
Best
Greg

serene

Dave Smith > wrote:

> Some people are amazing. My wife has a friend who is no longer invited for
> dinner because she was so late on two occasions.

I have a different approach. Rather than not invite my friends who are
habitually late, I plan differently that night. Here is how I invited
my friend the other night: when she said, "Yeah, I can be there between
6 and 7," I said, "Okay, so I won't start the fish until you arrive, and
if you're not here at 7:30, I'll start without you.

7:30 came and went. I made the fish, my family sat down to dinner, and
the guest called to say she was on her way at 7:40. I said fine, we're
sitting down to eat without you, but when you get here, we'll fix you a
plate. She arrived around 8; we were done eating already. I fixed her a
plate, and we had a perfectly happy and peaceful evening, because I had
made my plans knowing that she would be late.

serene
Dave Smith

serene wrote:

> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > Some people are amazing. My wife has a friend who is no longer invited for
> > dinner because she was so late on two occasions.

> I have a different approach. Rather than not invite my friends who are
> habitually late, I plan differently that night. Here is how I invited
> my friend the other night: when she said, "Yeah, I can be there between
> 6 and 7," I said, "Okay, so I won't start the fish until you arrive, and
> if you're not here at 7:30, I'll start without you.
>
> 7:30 came and went. I made the fish, my family sat down to dinner, and
> the guest called to say she was on her way at 7:40. I said fine, we're
> sitting down to eat without you, but when you get here, we'll fix you a
> plate. She arrived around 8; we were done eating already. I fixed her a
> plate, and we had a perfectly happy and peaceful evening, because I had
> made my plans knowing that she would be late.

That was very patient of you. I might do something like that if the person had
something important going on that made timing unreliable, and dish was versatile
enough to go through the process again. But I don't think you read the rest of
my post. In the first incident my wife was talking to her on the telephone at
home. After accepting an invitation for dinner and drinks in an hours time she
jumped in her car and went out of town. She lives approximately 3 minutes away
by car. She went to a craft show that was to close at 5 pm. The next time it
happened, she was at our house and hung around long enough that we invited her
to stay for dinner. She went home to feed her cat, the same cat that she leaves
alone for days at a time.

Goro

Yeff wrote:
> Picture he <http://www.fototime.com/484AC2DD12B4F59/orig.jpg>

it's the Raffaele Iannello knife block; it showed up at Gizmodo about
6months ago and was shown as "not for sale, but cool anyway."

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadge...ock-033956.php
http://www.viceversa.com/Dynamic/Pro...emID,1447.html

at some point later, i recall reading that they are selling it.

-goro-

serene

Dave Smith > wrote:

> serene wrote:
>
> > Dave Smith > wrote:
> >
> > > Some people are amazing. My wife has a friend who is no longer invited for
> > > dinner because she was so late on two occasions.

> > I have a different approach. Rather than not invite my friends who are
> > habitually late, I plan differently that night. Here is how I invited
> > my friend the other night: when she said, "Yeah, I can be there between
> > 6 and 7," I said, "Okay, so I won't start the fish until you arrive, and
> > if you're not here at 7:30, I'll start without you.
> >
> > 7:30 came and went. I made the fish, my family sat down to dinner, and
> > the guest called to say she was on her way at 7:40. I said fine, we're
> > sitting down to eat without you, but when you get here, we'll fix you a
> > plate. She arrived around 8; we were done eating already. I fixed her a
> > plate, and we had a perfectly happy and peaceful evening, because I had
> > made my plans knowing that she would be late.

> That was very patient of you. I might do something like that if the person
> had something important going on that made timing unreliable, and dish was
> versatile enough to go through the process again. But I don't think you
> read the rest of my post. In the first incident my wife was talking to her
> on the telephone at home. After accepting an invitation for dinner and
> drinks in an hours time she jumped in her car and went out of town. She
> lives approximately 3 minutes away by car. She went to a craft show that
> was to close at 5 pm. The next time it happened, she was at our house and
> hung around long enough that we invited her to stay for dinner. She went
> home to feed her cat, the same cat that she leaves alone for days at a
> time.

Oh, no, I agree with you on your friend -- she was incredibly rude. I
just mean that if there's someone I want to see and I know they're
habitually late, I plan things differently so that I'm not kept waiting.
That's all. If a person is late for dinner at my house, they will come
and find that everyone has eaten -- we don't hold dinner for people.
Luckily, we also have a fridge and a help-yourself attitude, so people
won't starve.

serene
serene

Dave Smith > wrote:

> You are more gracious than I.

I suppose it just bothers you more than it bothers me; I think you're
right to set your boundaries where they're comfy for you, and mine work
for me.

> I consider chronic lateness to be extremely
> disrespectful, so I just don't invite people like that for meals. I figure
> there are some key factors to cooking, the cost of the ingredients, the
> work to prepare it and the work to clean it up. I am not keen on spending
> the money for good cuts of meat or other pricey ingredients for people who
> do not have the courtesy to show up on time. I am not going to go to the
> work to cook two meals because some inconsiderate oaf could not be
> bothered to appear in a reasonable time. Not am I interested in having to
> do dishes and clean the kitchen twice.

None of that applies here. People who eat with us get what we're having,
and they help clean up. If they get cold leftovers out of the fridge,
that's what they get. (That said, I love love love puttering around in
the kitchen, so whipping something up for someone who arrives in the
evening is fun for me.) What would bother me would be letting our
dinner get cold while we wait on someone, so I don't ever do that --
when it's ready, it's ready, and if you're late, you don't get it when
it's fresh.

> I have friends like that whose company I enjoy when they come around. I
> just don't bother inviting them for dinners.

Sure; makes sense to me. I just do things a little differently.

serene

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 19 Jul 2005 10:22:42a, serene wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> Some people are amazing. My wife has a friend who is no longer invited
>> for dinner because she was so late on two occasions.

> I have a different approach. Rather than not invite my friends who are
> habitually late, I plan differently that night. Here is how I invited
> my friend the other night: when she said, "Yeah, I can be there between
> 6 and 7," I said, "Okay, so I won't start the fish until you arrive, and
> if you're not here at 7:30, I'll start without you.
>
> 7:30 came and went. I made the fish, my family sat down to dinner, and
> the guest called to say she was on her way at 7:40. I said fine, we're
> sitting down to eat without you, but when you get here, we'll fix you a
> plate. She arrived around 8; we were done eating already. I fixed her a
> plate, and we had a perfectly happy and peaceful evening, because I had
> made my plans knowing that she would be late.
>
> serene

I applaud your effort, but I wouldn't do it. IMHO, it is the
responsibility of the guest to arrive at the appointed time, presuming the
guest agreed with the time when invited, emergency conditions
notwithstanding.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-0, 07/18/2005
Tested on: 7/19/2005 5:17:18 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 19 Jul 2005 12:58:19p, serene wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> serene wrote:

>> > I have a different approach. Rather than not invite my friends who
>> > are habitually late, I plan differently that night. Here is how I
>> > invited my friend the other night: when she said, "Yeah, I can be
>> > there between 6 and 7," I said, "Okay, so I won't start the fish
>> > until you arrive, and if you're not here at 7:30, I'll start without
>> > you.
>> >
>> > 7:30 came and went. I made the fish, my family sat down to dinner,
>> > and the guest called to say she was on her way at 7:40. I said fine,
>> > we're sitting down to eat without you, but when you get here, we'll
>> > fix you a plate. She arrived around 8; we were done eating already.
>> > I fixed her a plate, and we had a perfectly happy and peaceful
>> > evening, because I had made my plans knowing that she would be late.

>> That was very patient of you. I might do something like that if the
>> person had something important going on that made timing unreliable,
>> and dish was versatile enough to go through the process again. But I
>> don't think you read the rest of my post. In the first incident my wife
>> was talking to her on the telephone at home. After accepting an
>> invitation for dinner and drinks in an hours time she jumped in her car
>> and went out of town. She lives approximately 3 minutes away by car.
>> She went to a craft show that was to close at 5 pm. The next time it
>> happened, she was at our house and hung around long enough that we
>> invited her to stay for dinner. She went home to feed her cat, the same
>> cat that she leaves alone for days at a time.

> Oh, no, I agree with you on your friend -- she was incredibly rude. I
> just mean that if there's someone I want to see and I know they're
> habitually late, I plan things differently so that I'm not kept waiting.
> That's all. If a person is late for dinner at my house, they will come
> and find that everyone has eaten -- we don't hold dinner for people.
> Luckily, we also have a fridge and a help-yourself attitude, so people
> won't starve.
>
> serene

Okay, with that I agree. However, I still would not invite someone like
that to a more formal occasion where everyone is expected to sit down
together. I'm not running a cafeteria or fast food joint.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-0, 07/18/2005
Tested on: 7/19/2005 5:18:33 PM

serene

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 19 Jul 2005 12:58:19p, serene wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Oh, no, I agree with you on your friend -- she was incredibly rude. I
> > just mean that if there's someone I want to see and I know they're
> > habitually late, I plan things differently so that I'm not kept waiting.
> > That's all. If a person is late for dinner at my house, they will come
> > and find that everyone has eaten -- we don't hold dinner for people.
> > Luckily, we also have a fridge and a help-yourself attitude, so people
> > won't starve.

> Okay, with that I agree. However, I still would not invite someone like
> that to a more formal occasion where everyone is expected to sit down
> together. I'm not running a cafeteria or fast food joint.

I guess my house is more about hanging out with people than about formal
dinners. The same friend was quite late for Thanksgiving (a sit-down,
several-course thing), as well, but we just shoved some chairs over,
grabbed another plate, and went on having a great time. I am not saying
anyone here is wrong for doing it their way, just that it's not as big a
deal to me as it is to some.

serene
Shaun aRe

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> serene wrote:
>

> > > drinks in an hours time she jumped in her car and went out of town.

She
> > > lives approximately 3 minutes away by car. She went to a craft show

that
> > > was to close at 5 pm. The next time it happened, she was at our house

and
> > > hung around long enough that we invited her to stay for dinner. She

went
> > > home to feed her cat, the same cat that she leaves alone for days at a
> > > time.

> > Oh, no, I agree with you on your friend -- she was incredibly rude.

> She is not my friend. She is my wife's friend. Actually, she is more of a

charity
> case. She is a well meaning woman, but she needs either medication or

therapy.

> > just mean that if there's someone I want to see and I know they're
> > habitually late, I plan things differently so that I'm not kept waiting.
> > That's all. If a person is late for dinner at my house, they will come
> > and find that everyone has eaten -- we don't hold dinner for people.
> > Luckily, we also have a fridge and a help-yourself attitude, so people
> > won't starve.

> You are more gracious than I. I consider chronic lateness to be extremely
> disrespectful, so I just don't invite people like that for meals. I figure

there are
> some key factors to cooking, the cost of the ingredients, the work to

prepare it and
> the work to clean it up. I am not keen on spending the money for good

cuts of meat
> or other pricey ingredients for people who do not have the courtesy to

show up on
> time. I am not going to go to the work to cook two meals because some

inconsiderate
> oaf could not be bothered to appear in a reasonable time. Not am I

interested in
> having to do dishes and clean the kitchen twice.
>
> I have friends like that whose company I enjoy when they come around. I

just don't
> bother inviting them for dinners.

Heheheh, I have another method! I spend *oh* so much time on prep, that it's
so late by the time the food is served, even the latest people are there
already. Also of course, everyone is absolutely delighted by the results, as
not only do I do a reasonable job in the kitchen, but hunger is the best
seasoning. ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

serene

Shaun aRe > wrote:

> Heheheh, I have another method! I spend *oh* so much time on prep, that it's
> so late by the time the food is served, even the latest people are there
> already. Also of course, everyone is absolutely delighted by the results, as
> not only do I do a reasonable job in the kitchen, but hunger is the best
> seasoning. ',;~}~

I really really hate being told that dinner will be at, say, six, and
then hanging around waiting for it until nine. If dinner was going to be
at nine, the host should've said so. Some people (like my diabetic
partner) need to know when they will be eating next; if I go somewhere
and dinner is hours late, I am very annoyed.

When I tell people dinner will be at six, it is never later than about
6:15, if that. Usually, I put dinner on the table when I've said it will
be.

(I would have assumed you were feeding folks substantive hors d'oeuvres
or something, but you say they are hungry by the time there's food, and
that wouldn't work for us at all.)

serene

Shaun aRe

"serene" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe > wrote:
>
> > Heheheh, I have another method! I spend *oh* so much time on prep, that

it's
> > so late by the time the food is served, even the latest people are there
> > already. Also of course, everyone is absolutely delighted by the

results, as
> > not only do I do a reasonable job in the kitchen, but hunger is the best
> > seasoning. ',;~}~

> I really really hate being told that dinner will be at, say, six, and
> then hanging around waiting for it until nine.

Oh I don't tell 'em. And, these are always close friends - I would never
cook for aquaintances. My friends all know I take forever in the kitchen,
but I'm a bit of a meticulous, attention to detail prep guy, so it takes,
heheheh... time - I'd NEVER make it in a pro kitchen, even if my other
skills were up to it!

> If dinner was going to be
> at nine, the host should've said so. Some people (like my diabetic
> partner) need to know when they will be eating next; if I go somewhere
> and dinner is hours late, I am very annoyed.
>
> When I tell people dinner will be at six, it is never later than about
> 6:15, if that. Usually, I put dinner on the table when I've said it will
> be.
>
> (I would have assumed you were feeding folks substantive hors d'oeuvres
> or something, but you say they are hungry by the time there's food, and
> that wouldn't work for us at all.)

Ahhh, they can take what they like from the 'fridge if they want. Like I
said, I only cook for real close friends and they *well* know me, poor sods!
Heheheh...

Shaun aRe

Dave Smith

Shaun aRe wrote:

> Ahhh, they can take what they like from the 'fridge if they want. Like I
> said, I only cook for real close friends and they *well* know me, poor sods!
> Heheheh...

I have an aunt who is painfully slow in the kitchen. She is a wonderful woman
who ran her own business back in the 50's, made a bundle when she sold it. She
was the one behind the design and renovation of a cottage and a string of homes
they bought and sold over the years and is still working as a financial
consultant at the age of 82. But when it comes to preparing a meal she is out
of her league. Once when we were invited for lunch at their cottage it took her
more than two hours to prepare hot dogs. There were four of us visiting, so
that meant cooking for three times as many as she was used to, but still.....
hot dogs.... two hours plus. My aunt and uncle eat in restaurants most
evenings. :-)