Mary

Default Fried Okra!

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

I-zheet M'drurz

Mary spaketh thusly:

> Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Sheldon

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> Mary spaketh thusly:
>
> > Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> > okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

> OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

And as an adult it's her panties Mary can't keep up.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote:

> Mary spaketh thusly:
>
> > Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> > okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

> OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

<raises spatula>
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> > Mary spaketh thusly:
> >
> > > Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> > > okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

> > OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

> And as an adult it's her panties Mary can't keep up.

You wish...... ;-)
--
Om.

Mary

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> > Mary spaketh thusly:
> >
> > > Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> > > okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

> > OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

> And as an adult it's her panties Mary can't keep up.

My secret is out!

Mary

"I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in message
> Mary spaketh thusly:
>
> > Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> > okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

> OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...
>
> --

Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
batter to brown.

ba boom!

Bob

Mary tried to explain:

>> Mary spaketh thusly:
>>
>>> Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
>>> okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

>> OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...
>>
>> --

> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> batter to brown.

But okra doesn't *have* to be slimy. Pickled okra isn't slimy, is it?. Fried
okra doesn't have to be slimy either: The trick is to buy small pods and
leave them whole. In fact, I did that exact thing last night, and the okra
wasn't slimy at all. I got that tip from Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect
Vegetables_ -- which means it's probably in at least a couple other Cook's
Illustrated books.

For the record, Southerners are *never* hard-pressed to find something to
deep-fry. They'd be hard-pressed to find something they *wouldn't*
deep-fry.

Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, "Mary" >
wrote:

> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in message
> > Mary spaketh thusly:
> >
> > > Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> > > okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

> > OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...
> >
> > --

> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> batter to brown.
>
> ba boom!

Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not slimy.
That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob" > wrote:

> Mary tried to explain:
>
> >> Mary spaketh thusly:

> >> OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...
> >>
> >> --

> > Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> > slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> > were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> > for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> > batter to brown.

> But okra doesn't *have* to be slimy. Pickled okra isn't slimy, is it?. Fried
> okra doesn't have to be slimy either: The trick is to buy small pods and
> leave them whole. In fact, I did that exact thing last night, and the okra
> wasn't slimy at all. I got that tip from Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect
> Vegetables_ -- which means it's probably in at least a couple other Cook's
> Illustrated books.
>
> For the record, Southerners are *never* hard-pressed to find something to
> deep-fry. They'd be hard-pressed to find something they *wouldn't*
> deep-fry.
>
> Bob

<snicker> The voice of a native methinks??? ;-D

Same here, and you are right!
--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 12:56:24p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, "Mary" >
> wrote:
>
>> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in message
>> > Mary spaketh thusly:

>> > OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...
>> >
>> > --

>> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
>> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
>> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
>> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
>> batter to brown.
>>
>> ba boom!
>>

> Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not slimy.
> That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

Correct! However, if you don't really want fried okra, you can lightly
saute it in just a bit of oil or butter and then steam 'til tender.
Sauteing it first prevents it from being slimy.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Mon 18 Jul 2005 12:56:24p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >, "Mary" >
> > wrote:

> >> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> >> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> >> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> >> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> >> batter to brown.
> >>
> >> ba boom!
> >>

> > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not slimy.
> > That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> Correct! However, if you don't really want fried okra, you can lightly
> saute it in just a bit of oil or butter and then steam 'til tender.
> Sauteing it first prevents it from being slimy.

So does a light blanching....... ;-)
--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not slimy.
> > That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> Correct! However, if you don't really want fried okra, you can lightly
> saute it in just a bit of oil or butter and then steam 'til tender.
> Sauteing it first prevents it from being slimy.

Okra wrote the book on slime.

When I worked in OKC for a couple years, I think I probably had 50
people tell me, "Okra isn't slimey if it's cooked [right] [young]
[properly] (take your choice)."

Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. I had pounds of it deep fried
and sauteed and fixed every which way for me to prove it wasn't slimey,
and do you know what? Okra wrote the book on slime.

I feel about okra the way Barb feels about beets. That's how bad it
is. I first had it when I was a youngster and lived in Miami - had
more of it in Kentucky when I lived there in grade school - had pounds
of it in OKC when I was an adult.

Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. There is no way to fix it that
it isn't slimey.

N.

Mary

"Jim Davis" > wrote in message

> Mary wrote:
>
> > snip
> >

> >Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> >slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> >were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> >for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> >batter to brown.
> >
> >ba boom!
> >

> Y'musta had it done wrong. Fried okra done properly is fantastic,not
> slimey at all, but crisp and good. I miss it, same as fried green

tomatoes.

Actually I have never cooked it myself. Let's have a good recipe!
(I have had fried tomatoes, but not green. My
grandmother fried ripe ones, battered lightly, and they were delicious with
a little sprinkle of sugar.)

Mary

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not

slimy.
> > > That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> > Correct! However, if you don't really want fried okra, you can lightly
> > saute it in just a bit of oil or butter and then steam 'til tender.
> > Sauteing it first prevents it from being slimy.
> >

> Okra wrote the book on slime.
>
> When I worked in OKC for a couple years, I think I probably had 50
> people tell me, "Okra isn't slimey if it's cooked [right] [young]
> [properly] (take your choice)."
>
> Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. I had pounds of it deep fried
> and sauteed and fixed every which way for me to prove it wasn't slimey,
> and do you know what? Okra wrote the book on slime.
>
> I feel about okra the way Barb feels about beets. That's how bad it
> is. I first had it when I was a youngster and lived in Miami - had
> more of it in Kentucky when I lived there in grade school - had pounds
> of it in OKC when I was an adult.
>
> Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. There is no way to fix it that
> it isn't slimey.

Well, I'll be! [Gomer Pyle style ...]

Jim Davis

Mary wrote:

> snip
>

>Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
>slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
>were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
>for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
>batter to brown.
>
>ba boom!

Y'musta had it done wrong. Fried okra done properly is fantastic,not
slimey at all, but crisp and good. I miss it, same as fried green tomatoes.

Mary

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> > For the record, Southerners are *never* hard-pressed to find something

> > deep-fry. They'd be hard-pressed to find something they *wouldn't*
> > deep-fry.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> <snicker> The voice of a native methinks??? ;-D
>
> Same here, and you are right!
> --

I am the proud owner of a deep-fryer the size of a small
child.

jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >, "Mary" >
> wrote:
>
>> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in message
>>> Mary spaketh thusly:

>>> OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...
>>>
>>> --

>> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
>> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
>> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
>> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
>> batter to brown.
>>
>> ba boom!
>>

> Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not
> slimy. That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

Here she goes again (sigh). Breaded or battered and deep fried is the only
way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's one of the
veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra, sliced and added
to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy in the least under
those conditions.

Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 03:33:21p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> In article >, "Mary" >
>> wrote:

>>> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
>>> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
>>> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
>>> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
>>> batter to brown.
>>>
>>> ba boom!
>>>

>> Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not
>> slimy. That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> Here she goes again (sigh). Breaded or battered and deep fried is the
> only way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's
> one of the veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra,
> sliced and added to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy
> in the least under those conditions.
>
> Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry

Jill, I pan fry sliced okra with a coating mixture of seasoned flour and
cornmeal. It's crunchy on the outside, and I like it even better than deep
fried.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >, "Mary" >
> > wrote:

> >> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> >> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> >> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> >> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> >> batter to brown.
> >>
> >> ba boom!
> >>

> > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not
> > slimy. That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> Here she goes again (sigh). Breaded or battered and deep fried is the only
> way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's one of the
> veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra, sliced and added
> to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy in the least under
> those conditions.
>
> Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry

To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
and know a lot of folks that do!

I use in in soups and stir fry's for a thickener, or serve it whole and
lightly steamed as a side dish.

Neither way turns out slimy. :-)

I HAVE eaten it in local dives and freinds places breaded and deep fried
tho'!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Mary

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >, "Mary" >
> > wrote:

> >> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> >> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> >> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> >> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> >> batter to brown.
> >>
> >> ba boom!
> >>

> > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not
> > slimy. That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> Here she goes again (sigh).

Here who goes with what? What is your problem, Jill? We're talking
about Okra ffs.

Breaded or battered and deep fried is the only
> way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's one of

the
> veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra, sliced and

added
> to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy in the least under
> those conditions.
>
> Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry

I didn't ask you what you do with okra, but I have a few suggestions for
you.

Mary

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not
> > > slimy. That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> > Here she goes again (sigh). Breaded or battered and deep fried is the

only
> > way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's one of

the
> > veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra, sliced and

added
> > to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy in the least under
> > those conditions.
> >
> > Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry
> >

> To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
> and know a lot of folks that do!
>
> I use in in soups and stir fry's for a thickener, or serve it whole and
> lightly steamed as a side dish.
>
> Neither way turns out slimy. :-)

Yeah, well, I'm glad we've got convincing testimony otherwise.

jmcquown

Jim Davis wrote:
> Mary wrote:
>
>> snip
>>

>> Have you ever had fried okra?
>>

> Y'musta had it done wrong. Fried okra done properly is fantastic,not
> slimey at all, but crisp and good. I miss it, same as fried green
> tomatoes.

I had fried green tomatoes for the first time at a diner outside of
Huntsville, Alabama. They were thinly sliced, coated in a cornmeal/flour
mixture and pan fried (not sure if they used an egg wash). I never thought
I'd like such a thing but they were pretty good. Not so good that I'd make
them at home, mind you, but not bad, either.

Jill

Mary

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jim Davis wrote:
> > Mary wrote:
> >
> >> snip
> >>

> >> Have you ever had fried okra?
> >>

> > Y'musta had it done wrong. Fried okra done properly is fantastic,not
> > slimey at all, but crisp and good. I miss it, same as fried green
> > tomatoes.

> I had fried green tomatoes for the first time at a diner outside of
> Huntsville, Alabama. They were thinly sliced, coated in a cornmeal/flour
> mixture and pan fried (not sure if they used an egg wash). I never

thought
> I'd like such a thing but they were pretty good. Not so good that I'd

make
> them at home, mind you, but not bad, either.

There she goes again.

Mary

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote:

> > Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry
> >

> To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
> and know a lot of folks that do!

There's not a thing wrong with deep frying, as long as the folks you are
serving are going out to plough the back 40 after dinner.

Or don't mind a bit of early bypass surgery.

Or have bulletproof genes.

Or figure that something will get them anyway and they might
just as well enjoy food until it does.

Trish

(South Park) Cartman: What kind of side dishes will we be enjoying this
evening with our frozen waffles?

"Mary" > wrote in message
news:1121733481.40a1d317538f2ca50b7364ea12231547@t eranews...

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote:
> > >
> > > Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry
> > >

> > To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
> > and know a lot of folks that do!

> There's not a thing wrong with deep frying, as long as the folks you are
> serving are going out to plough the back 40 after dinner.
>
> Or don't mind a bit of early bypass surgery.
>
> Or have bulletproof genes.
>
> Or figure that something will get them anyway and they might
> just as well enjoy food until it does.

Where I'm from alot of people deep fry, heart disease and early death is
very high.

The Joneses

jmcquown wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >, "Mary" >
> > wrote:

> >> Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
> >> slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
> >> were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
> >> for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
> >> batter to brown.
> >>
> >> ba boom!
> >>

> > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not
> > slimy. That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> Here she goes again (sigh). Breaded or battered and deep fried is the only
> way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's one of the
> veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra, sliced and added
> to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy in the least under
> those conditions.
>
> Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry

Do try some pickled okra. Some recipes are hot & spicy! The slime factor should
be very low to non existant. I know folks who won't eat oatmeal for the same
reason. *Some* slippery texture is to be expected. I learned to like okra very
late in life. Ditto for b**ts for that matter.
Edrena

The Joneses

Mary wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote:
> > >
> > > Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry
> > >

> > To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
> > and know a lot of folks that do!

> There's not a thing wrong with deep frying, as long as the folks you are
> serving are going out to plough the back 40 after dinner.
>
> Or don't mind a bit of early bypass surgery.
>
> Or have bulletproof genes.
>
> Or figure that something will get them anyway and they might
> just as well enjoy food until it does.

I saw a recipe on Food TV where they baked okra until crispy. I can't eat so
much fried stuff and this is good.
Edrena
Baked Okra
http://www.3fatchicks.com/
ingredients
1 cups cornmeal
1/4 tsp. light salt
1 1/2 lb. fresh okra, sliced thin
cooking spray
directions
Coat okra slices with cornmeal and salt. Place in single layer on a baking
sheet which has been sprayed well with cooking spray. Also spray tops of
okra. Bake at 450* for 30 to 35 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned

Mary

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Mary wrote:

> > > To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
> > > and know a lot of folks that do!

> > There's not a thing wrong with deep frying, as long as the folks you are
> > serving are going out to plough the back 40 after dinner.
> >
> > Or don't mind a bit of early bypass surgery.
> >
> > Or have bulletproof genes.
> >
> > Or figure that something will get them anyway and they might
> > just as well enjoy food until it does.

> I saw a recipe on Food TV where they baked okra until crispy. I can't eat

so
> much fried stuff and this is good.
> Edrena
> Baked Okra
> http://www.3fatchicks.com/
> ingredients
> 1 cups cornmeal
> 1/4 tsp. light salt
> 1 1/2 lb. fresh okra, sliced thin
> cooking spray
> directions
> Coat okra slices with cornmeal and salt. Place in single layer on a baking
> sheet which has been sprayed well with cooking spray. Also spray tops of
> okra. Bake at 450* for 30 to 35 minutes or until crispy and lightly

browned

Aha! I have saved this to my recipe file, and promise to try it.
Also, I love the name of the recipe site, and have bookmarked it
for future reference. Thanks! I will report on the slime/no slime
factor asap!

Mary

"Trish" > wrote in message
.. .

> --
> (South Park) Cartman: What kind of side dishes will we be enjoying this
> evening with our frozen waffles?
>
> "Mary" > wrote in message
> news:1121733481.40a1d317538f2ca50b7364ea12231547@t eranews...

> > > To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
> > > and know a lot of folks that do!

> > There's not a thing wrong with deep frying, as long as the folks you are
> > serving are going out to plough the back 40 after dinner.
> >
> > Or don't mind a bit of early bypass surgery.
> >
> > Or have bulletproof genes.
> >
> > Or figure that something will get them anyway and they might
> > just as well enjoy food until it does.
> >

> Where I'm from alot of people deep fry, heart disease and early death is
> very high.

ooo

Not good.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 08:01:27p, The Joneses wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Mary wrote:

>> > To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the
>> > South and know a lot of folks that do!

>> There's not a thing wrong with deep frying, as long as the folks you
>> are serving are going out to plough the back 40 after dinner.
>>
>> Or don't mind a bit of early bypass surgery.
>>
>> Or have bulletproof genes.
>>
>> Or figure that something will get them anyway and they might just as
>> well enjoy food until it does.

> I saw a recipe on Food TV where they baked okra until crispy. I can't
> eat so much fried stuff and this is good.
> Edrena
> Baked Okra
> http://www.3fatchicks.com/
> ingredients
> 1 cups cornmeal
> 1/4 tsp. light salt
> 1 1/2 lb. fresh okra, sliced thin
> cooking spray
> directions
> Coat okra slices with cornmeal and salt. Place in single layer on a
> baking sheet which has been sprayed well with cooking spray. Also spray
> tops of okra. Bake at 450* for 30 to 35 minutes or until crispy and
> lightly browned

I'm gonna try this! I shouldn't have the fat from frying, either, and I
love fried okra. I've roasted Brussels sprouts this way (without the
cornmeal), and they were delicious.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-0, 07/18/2005
Tested on: 7/18/2005 9:26:24 PM

levelwave

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Jill, I pan fry sliced okra with a coating mixture of seasoned flour and
> cornmeal. It's crunchy on the outside, and I like it even better than deep
> fried.

That's 'zactly how I've always cooked Okra and normally how better
southern restaurants prepare it. If it's deep friend and completely
surrounded by batter then it's most likely frozen prepared okra.

Soaking okra that's been cut-up in cold water for about 30 minutes
removes most of the slime. Rinsing will remove the rest...

~john
levelwave

jmcquown wrote:

> I had fried green tomatoes for the first time at a diner outside of
> Huntsville, Alabama. They were thinly sliced, coated in a cornmeal/flour
> mixture and pan fried (not sure if they used an egg wash). I never thought
> I'd like such a thing but they were pretty good. Not so good that I'd make
> them at home, mind you, but not bad, either.

Born in Tennessee and currently living in Huntsville and have never
eaten a Fried Green Tomato. It's something I always hear being tied to
Southern Food yet I've never been served it at anyone's house either...

~john
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 10:06:18p, levelwave wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Jill, I pan fry sliced okra with a coating mixture of seasoned flour
>> and cornmeal. It's crunchy on the outside, and I like it even better
>> than deep fried.

> That's 'zactly how I've always cooked Okra and normally how better
> southern restaurants prepare it. If it's deep friend and completely
> surrounded by batter then it's most likely frozen prepared okra.
>
> Soaking okra that's been cut-up in cold water for about 30 minutes
> removes most of the slime. Rinsing will remove the rest...
>
> ~john

Thanks, John. I'll add that note to the recipe!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-0, 07/18/2005
Tested on: 7/18/2005 10:11:48 PM

Mary

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > I had fried green tomatoes for the first time at a diner outside of
> > Huntsville, Alabama. They were thinly sliced, coated in a

cornmeal/flour
> > mixture and pan fried (not sure if they used an egg wash). I never

thought
> > I'd like such a thing but they were pretty good. Not so good that I'd

make
> > them at home, mind you, but not bad, either.

> Born in Tennessee and currently living in Huntsville and have never
> eaten a Fried Green Tomato. It's something I always hear being tied to
> Southern Food yet I've never been served it at anyone's house either...

They are served at home in Eastern Virginia and North Carolina.
But generally not green. Fried tomatoes are great.

Shaun aRe

"Mary" > wrote in message

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>
> > > For the record, Southerners are *never* hard-pressed to find something

> > > deep-fry. They'd be hard-pressed to find something they *wouldn't*
> > > deep-fry.
> > >
> > > Bob
> > >

> > <snicker> The voice of a native methinks??? ;-D
> >
> > Same here, and you are right!
> > --

> I am the proud owner of a deep-fryer the size of a small
> child.

Who's child?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

jmcquown wrote:

> Here she goes again (sigh). Breaded or battered and deep fried is the only
> way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's one of the
> veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra, sliced and added
> to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy in the least under
> those conditions.
>
> Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry

LOL. Are you talkin' to me? Then I won't tell you that the very first
time I experienced okra was in GUMBO, where I got the initial sliming,
which has never gone away. ;-) It's o.k. for other people to like it,
though...I'm not like Barb, who would like to stamp out beets entirely.
(This reminds me; got to get to the farmer's market to get some beets
to pickle....)

N.

AlleyGator

The Joneses > wrote:

>I saw a recipe on Food TV where they baked okra until crispy. I can't eat so
>much fried stuff and this is good.
>Edrena
>Baked Okra
>http://www.3fatchicks.com/
>ingredients
>1 cups cornmeal
>1/4 tsp. light salt
>1 1/2 lb. fresh okra, sliced thin
>cooking spray
>directions
>Coat okra slices with cornmeal and salt. Place in single layer on a baking
>sheet which has been sprayed well with cooking spray. Also spray tops of
>okra. Bake at 450* for 30 to 35 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned

My wife just loves fried okra and fried green tomatoes, but I am
trying to avoid much fried food. This sounds really good - I think
I'll give it a try. I think maybe the same thing would work for the
tomatoes, it'll just be a little experimentation to decide when
they're ready.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Mary

"AlleyGator" > wrote:

> My wife just loves fried okra and fried green tomatoes, but I am
> trying to avoid much fried food. This sounds really good - I think
> I'll give it a try. I think maybe the same thing would work for the
> tomatoes, it'll just be a little experimentation to decide when
> they're ready.

It does work for tomatoes. Brush a cookie sheet with
olive oil and get it hot. (I do them on 400F.) Then put
your floured and seasoned tomatoes on. The hot oven
allows them to crisp up before they start to leak moisture,
and they get pretty crispy.

While it is good to avoid deep fried food, I think pan-fried
is an okay choice when you use mono or polyunsaturated
oils and drain well.

Mary

> wrote >

Then I won't tell you that the very first
> time I experienced okra was in GUMBO, where I got the initial sliming,
> which has never gone away. ;-) It's o.k. for other people to like it,
> though...I'm not like Barb, who would like to stamp out beets entirely.
> (This reminds me; got to get to the farmer's market to get some beets
> to pickle....)

Oh gad I forgot all about okra in gumbo. Eyuuu.

Fried Okra International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 16-09-2008 03:53 AM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
Pan Fried Okra Rob Mills Barbecue 0 24-05-2007 10:05 PM
Fried Okra Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 29-09-2004 06:44 PM
Fried Okra And Potatoes luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2003 01:40 PM