Old 18-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Mary

Default Fried Okra!

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

Old 18-07-2005, 05:05 AM
I-zheet M'drurz

Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Old 18-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Sheldon

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

And as an adult it's her panties Mary can't keep up.

Old 18-07-2005, 08:53 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

raises spatula
--
Om.

Old 18-07-2005, 08:53 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Sheldon" wrote:

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

And as an adult it's her panties Mary can't keep up.

You wish...... ;-)
--
Om.

Old 18-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Mary

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

And as an adult it's her panties Mary can't keep up.

My secret is out!

Old 18-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Mary

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

--

Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners

ba boom!

Old 18-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Bob

Mary tried to explain:

Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

--

Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
batter to brown.

But okra doesn't *have* to be slimy. Pickled okra isn't slimy, is it?. Fried
okra doesn't have to be slimy either: The trick is to buy small pods and
leave them whole. In fact, I did that exact thing last night, and the okra
wasn't slimy at all. I got that tip from Cook's Illustrated's _Perfect
Vegetables_ -- which means it's probably in at least a couple other Cook's
Illustrated books.

For the record, Southerners are *never* hard-pressed to find something to
deep-fry. They'd be hard-pressed to find something they *wouldn't*
deep-fry.

Bob

Old 18-07-2005, 08:56 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article , "Mary"
wrote:

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

--

Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
batter to brown.

ba boom!

Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not slimy.
That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!
--
Om.

Old 18-07-2005, 08:57 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

"Bob" wrote:

Mary tried to explain:

Mary spaketh thusly:

[...]

snicker The voice of a native methinks??? ;-D

Same here, and you are right!
--
Om.

Old 18-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 18 Jul 2005 12:56:24p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

In article , "Mary"
wrote:

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
Mary spaketh thusly:

Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much okra as a child that
he couldn't keep his socks up?

OK, anybody else who doesn't get it, raise your spatula...

--

Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
batter to brown.

ba boom!

Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not slimy.
That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

Correct! However, if you don't really want fried okra, you can lightly
saute it in just a bit of oil or butter and then steam 'til tender.
Sauteing it first prevents it from being slimy.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 18-07-2005, 09:41 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

[...]

So does a light blanching....... ;-)
--
Om.

Old 18-07-2005, 09:42 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not slimy.
That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

Correct! However, if you don't really want fried okra, you can lightly
saute it in just a bit of oil or butter and then steam 'til tender.
Sauteing it first prevents it from being slimy.

Okra wrote the book on slime.

When I worked in OKC for a couple years, I think I probably had 50
people tell me, "Okra isn't slimey if it's cooked [right] [young]
[properly] (take your choice)."

Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. I had pounds of it deep fried
and sauteed and fixed every which way for me to prove it wasn't slimey,
and do you know what? Okra wrote the book on slime.

I feel about okra the way Barb feels about beets. That's how bad it
is. I first had it when I was a youngster and lived in Miami - had
more of it in Kentucky when I lived there in grade school - had pounds
of it in OKC when I was an adult.

Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. There is no way to fix it that
it isn't slimey.

N.

Old 18-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Mary

"Jim Davis" wrote in message

Mary wrote:

snip

Have you ever had fried okra? It is kind of like deep-fried
slime. Very slippery. It is almost as though southerners
were hard pressed to find something to deepfry and settled
for something that would hold its shape just long enough for the
batter to brown.

ba boom!

Y'musta had it done wrong. Fried okra done properly is fantastic,not
slimey at all, but crisp and good. I miss it, same as fried green

tomatoes.

Actually I have never cooked it myself. Let's have a good recipe!
(I have had fried tomatoes, but not green. My
grandmother fried ripe ones, battered lightly, and they were delicious with
a little sprinkle of sugar.)

Old 18-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Well, I'll be! [Gomer Pyle style ...]

Fried Okra International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 16-09-2008 03:53 AM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
Pan Fried Okra Rob Mills Barbecue 0 24-05-2007 10:05 PM
Fried Okra Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 29-09-2004 06:44 PM
Fried Okra And Potatoes luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2003 01:40 PM