Jean B.

Mary wrote:

> "AlleyGator" > wrote:
>
>>My wife just loves fried okra and fried green tomatoes, but I am
>>trying to avoid much fried food. This sounds really good - I think
>>I'll give it a try. I think maybe the same thing would work for the
>>tomatoes, it'll just be a little experimentation to decide when
>>they're ready.
>>

> It does work for tomatoes. Brush a cookie sheet with
> olive oil and get it hot. (I do them on 400F.) Then put
> your floured and seasoned tomatoes on. The hot oven
> allows them to crisp up before they start to leak moisture,
> and they get pretty crispy.
>
> While it is good to avoid deep fried food, I think pan-fried
> is an okay choice when you use mono or polyunsaturated
> oils and drain well.

I tried this with okra. Had thought about that for many years
after reading about making okra croutons this way. They were,
um, hard. I do think it is doable though--dredge the sliced
okra in seasoned cornmeal (I don't think you need to use egg
first, for the obvious reason), spray with some kind of oil,
and bake til crispy basically.

--
Jean B.
Brick

On 19-Jul-2005, levelwave > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > I had fried green tomatoes for the first time at a diner outside of
> > Huntsville, Alabama. They were thinly sliced, coated in a
> > cornmeal/flour
> > mixture and pan fried (not sure if they used an egg wash). I never
> > thought
> > I'd like such a thing but they were pretty good. Not so good that I'd
> > make
> > them at home, mind you, but not bad, either.

> Born in Tennessee and currently living in Huntsville and have never
> eaten a Fried Green Tomato. It's something I always hear being tied to
> Southern Food yet I've never been served it at anyone's house either...
>
> ~john

Just this year, I've seen green tomatoes in the supermarket. I can't
remember ever seeing them in a market before. We had them on
the farm before I left home because we had tomatoes coming out of
our ears and fixed them every way we could think of. We canned
them by the bushel, ate some green and fed the rest to the hogs.
Dredged in seasoned flour, fried and served alongside eggs and
bacon or ham with fresh bisquits and butter on the side, they're
hard to beat.

Somebody mentioned Okra being slimy. Well it is if you just throw
it in a pot and boil it. We dip it in buttermilk, dredge it in cornmeal
and then deepfry it. Nothing gets much better then that. It sure as
hell isn't slimy. Rather it is crispy with a warm, soft center.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 19 Jul 2005 09:28:10p, Brick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 19-Jul-2005, levelwave > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > I had fried green tomatoes for the first time at a diner outside of
>> > Huntsville, Alabama. They were thinly sliced, coated in a
>> > cornmeal/flour mixture and pan fried (not sure if they used an egg
>> > wash). I never thought I'd like such a thing but they were pretty
>> > good. Not so good that I'd make them at home, mind you, but not bad,
>> > either.

>> Born in Tennessee and currently living in Huntsville and have never
>> eaten a Fried Green Tomato. It's something I always hear being tied to
>> Southern Food yet I've never been served it at anyone's house either...
>>
>> ~john

> Just this year, I've seen green tomatoes in the supermarket. I can't
> remember ever seeing them in a market before. We had them on
> the farm before I left home because we had tomatoes coming out of
> our ears and fixed them every way we could think of. We canned
> them by the bushel, ate some green and fed the rest to the hogs.
> Dredged in seasoned flour, fried and served alongside eggs and
> bacon or ham with fresh bisquits and butter on the side, they're
> hard to beat.

I love fried green tomatoes, but if you've never tried it, you really
should try a green tomato pie...

6 to 8 medium green tomatoes
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
pastry to 9-inch 2-crust pie

Wash the green tomatoes well; peel and slice. In a saucepan, combine
tomatoes with lemon juice, peel, salt, and cinnamon. Cook tomato mixture
over low heat, stirring frequently. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into
tomato mixture. Cook mixture until clear, stirring constantly. Add butter,
remove from heat, and let stand until slightly cooled. Line a 9-inch pie
plate with pastry; pour in tomato mixture. Cover with top pastry, seal
edges, crimp, and cut several small slits in crust to allow steam to
escape. Bake at 435° for 35 to 45 minutes, or until nicely browned. Serve
warm or cooled.

> Somebody mentioned Okra being slimy. Well it is if you just throw
> it in a pot and boil it. We dip it in buttermilk, dredge it in cornmeal
> and then deepfry it. Nothing gets much better then that. It sure as
> hell isn't slimy. Rather it is crispy with a warm, soft center.

One of my favorite vegetables!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-0, 07/18/2005
Tested on: 7/19/2005 9:34:22 PM

Brick

On 18-Jul-2005, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >, "Mary" >
> > wrote:

<snip>

> > Sorry, but all of the deep fried, breaded, Okra I have had was not
> > slimy. That is why they fix it that way. It gets RID of the slime!

> Here she goes again (sigh). Breaded or battered and deep fried is the
> only
> way I'll eat okra, but only when I'm out in a restaurant and it's one of
> the
> veggie choices on the menu. I don't deep fry stuff. Okra, sliced and
> added
> to gumbo acts as a natural thickener and is not slimy in the least under
> those conditions.
>
> Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry

Thank you Jill. You just reminded me that I have a mess of fresh okra
in the crisper that needs tending to. Mine will get dipped in buttermilk
and dredged in cornmeal, then deepfried in Canola oil. I guarantee, it
will not be slimy when it gets to a plate. What little fat it absorbs will
be monounsaturated.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

Mary

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote :

> > Somebody mentioned Okra being slimy. Well it is if you just throw
> > it in a pot and boil it. We dip it in buttermilk, dredge it in cornmeal
> > and then deepfry it. Nothing gets much better then that. It sure as
> > hell isn't slimy. Rather it is crispy with a warm, soft center.

> One of my favorite vegetables!!!

Well, I have to wonder what everyone who ever deepfried any
okra that I ever tasted got wrong. I suspect slimy okra is overcooked
okra.

Brick

On 18-Jul-2005, "Mary" > wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote:
> > >
> > > Jill <--southern and doesn't deep fry
> > >

> > To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the South
> > and know a lot of folks that do!

> There's not a thing wrong with deep frying, as long as the folks you are
> serving are going out to plough the back 40 after dinner.
>
> Or don't mind a bit of early bypass surgery.
>
> Or have bulletproof genes.
>
> Or figure that something will get them anyway and they might
> just as well enjoy food until it does.

You are largely correct Mary, but like so many others, you fail to mention
that there are degrees to the impact of frying. For instance, the difference
between frying in lard (Saturated fat) and vegetable oil, (poly-unsaturated
fat),
and Canola or Olive, (Mono-unsaturated fat).

Then, there is the procedure actually used to fry. As long as a product is
boiling out moisture, it is not absorbing oil. When a cook removes a product
from hot oil before the boiling stops and then immediately blots the product
with paper towels or some such, the amount of any kind of oil is vastly
diminished. Official guidelines never mention this because they must
convey the worst possible case to cover their own ass.

Final point. Don't eat any kind of fried foods everyday, but remember,
humans need fat to survive. It is essential to the diet in proper
proportions.
Ref: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

Mary

"Brick" > wrote :

> You are largely correct Mary, but like so many others, you fail to mention
> that there are degrees to the impact of frying. For instance, the

difference
> between frying in lard (Saturated fat) and vegetable oil,

(poly-unsaturated
> fat), and Canola or Olive, (Mono-unsaturated fat).

Excellent point. I use vegetable oil when I deep fry--I would use olive
oil but my deep fryer says not to. I wonder why that is? Do you know?

> Then, there is the procedure actually used to fry. As long as a product is
> boiling out moisture, it is not absorbing oil.

Hmm. I didn't know this.

>When a cook removes a product
> from hot oil before the boiling stops and then immediately blots the

product
> with paper towels or some such, the amount of any kind of oil is vastly
> diminished. Official guidelines never mention this because they must
> convey the worst possible case to cover their own ass.

This is what I have often thought, and why I have a hard time
seeing how deep-frying is worse than pan frying. I drain everything
very well either way I fry, and not only drain the items on paper
towels but blot them from the top, too.

> Final point. Don't eat any kind of fried foods everyday, but remember,
> humans need fat to survive. It is essential to the diet in proper
> proportions.
> Ref: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
> --
> The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
> my mind.)

I generally "oven broil" meaning that I do meats at fairly high temps using
the oven broiler. But there are things I just have to fry. Catfish is one.
love broiled salmon and grouper and such, but catfish has GOT to be
fried. The fresh cole slaw I eat with it has to make up for some of the
fat, right?

jmcquown

Brick wrote:

>>> To be honest, I don't deep fry it either. ;-) I just live in the
>>> South and know a lot of folks that do!

> You are largely correct Mary, but like so many others, you fail to
> mention that there are degrees to the impact of frying.

Brick, sweetie, please don't feed the troll!

Jill

LynneA

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> I love fried green tomatoes, but if you've never tried it, you really
> should try a green tomato pie...

Gee, thanks Wayne, now I've gotta try it!LOL (Diet, shmiet!)

Lynne A

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Jul 2005 10:44:07a, LynneA wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>> I love fried green tomatoes, but if you've never tried it, you really
>> should try a green tomato pie...
>>

> Gee, thanks Wayne, now I've gotta try it!LOL (Diet, shmiet!)

It's one of my favorite pies, Lynne. Hope you enjoy it! What a diet?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

LynneA

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> It's one of my favorite pies, Lynne. Hope you enjoy it! What a diet?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Hehehe, a diet is that thing I'm SUPPOSED to be on, but fall off of way too
regularly!

Lynne A

cathyxyz

Mary wrote:
> Anyone hear the comic who said he ate so much
> okra as a child that he couldn't keep his socks up?

plonk
Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 19 Jul 2005 09:28:10p, Brick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Born in Tennessee and currently living in Huntsville and have never
>>> eaten a Fried Green Tomato. It's something I always hear being tied to
>>> Southern Food yet I've never been served it at anyone's house either...
>>>
>>> ~john

>> Just this year, I've seen green tomatoes in the supermarket. I can't
>> remember ever seeing them in a market before. We had them on
>> the farm before I left home because we had tomatoes coming out of
>> our ears and fixed them every way we could think of. We canned
>> them by the bushel, ate some green and fed the rest to the hogs.
>> Dredged in seasoned flour, fried and served alongside eggs and
>> bacon or ham with fresh bisquits and butter on the side, they're
>> hard to beat.

> I love fried green tomatoes, but if you've never tried it, you really
> should try a green tomato pie...
>
> 6 to 8 medium green tomatoes
> 2 tablespoons lemon juice
> 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> 3/4 cup granulated sugar
> 2 tablespoons cornstarch
> 1 tablespoon butter
> pastry to 9-inch 2-crust pie
>
> Wash the green tomatoes well; peel and slice. In a saucepan, combine
> tomatoes with lemon juice, peel, salt, and cinnamon. Cook tomato mixture
> over low heat, stirring frequently. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir
> into
> tomato mixture. Cook mixture until clear, stirring constantly. Add butter,
> remove from heat, and let stand until slightly cooled. Line a 9-inch pie
> plate with pastry; pour in tomato mixture. Cover with top pastry, seal
> edges, crimp, and cut several small slits in crust to allow steam to
> escape. Bake at 435° for 35 to 45 minutes, or until nicely browned. Serve
> warm or cooled.
>
>> Somebody mentioned Okra being slimy. Well it is if you just throw
>> it in a pot and boil it. We dip it in buttermilk, dredge it in cornmeal
>> and then deepfry it. Nothing gets much better then that. It sure as
>> hell isn't slimy. Rather it is crispy with a warm, soft center.

> One of my favorite vegetables!!!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>==========

Huh. Yours is quite different from mine. Mine gets breaded with a mix of
flour, cornmeal, salt & pepper and a sprinkle of this and that plus some
Everglades Heat (I LOVE that stuff) and dredged through an egg wash... then
fried. Ah hell... I'm an idiot! I just realized you posted for a Tomato
Pie and not Fried Green Tomatoes! Doh!

I too love Tomato Pie. This is the one I always make:

Tomato Pie

Cornmeal Pie Shell*
6-8 med. tomatoes
1/4 c mayonnaise (Miracle Whip Light!!)
1/4 c sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1 clove minced garlic
Salt & Pepper
2 TBSP butter
1/2 c chopped green onions (top & bottoms)
1/2 c soft (fresh) bread crumbs
1/4 c chopped parsley
1/4 c Parmesan Cheese

Prepare and partially bake pie shell.

Slice tomatoes 1/2" thick and layer in pie shell.
Combine mayo, sour cream & garlic. Spread over tomatoes. Sprinkle with
salt & pepper.

Melt butter and saute green onions for a few minutes. Stir in bread crumbs,
parsley, & cheese. Sprinkle over tomatoes.

Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting
and serving.

*****
CORNMEAL PIE SHELL

Combine 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP flour and 2 TBSP yellow cornmeal.

Remove and discard 2 heaping TBSP of the flour/cornmeal mix.

Add 2 TBSP cold water to mix (more if necessary) and cut-in 6 TBSP butter.

Mix all together and roll into a 10" circle. Fit into 9" pie pan.
Trim/shape pie shell edges.

Bake at 450 F. for 5 minutes.

Originally based upon a My Great Recipes recipe but tweaked a bit.

Wayne Boatwright

On 20 Jul 2005, you wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Huh. Yours is quite different from mine. Mine gets breaded with a mix
> of flour, cornmeal, salt & pepper and a sprinkle of this and that plus
> some Everglades Heat (I LOVE that stuff) and dredged through an egg
> wash... then fried. Ah hell... I'm an idiot! I just realized you
> posted for a Tomato Pie and not Fried Green Tomatoes! Doh!

ROTFLMAO! I can just imagine your trying to equate that to fried tomatoes!

> I too love Tomato Pie. This is the one I always make:
>
> Tomato Pie

Mine is a dessert pie, but I'm going to try yours as well. Sounds delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On 20 Jul 2005, you wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Huh. Yours is quite different from mine. Mine gets breaded with a mix
>> of flour, cornmeal, salt & pepper and a sprinkle of this and that plus
>> some Everglades Heat (I LOVE that stuff) and dredged through an egg
>> wash... then fried. Ah hell... I'm an idiot! I just realized you
>> posted for a Tomato Pie and not Fried Green Tomatoes! Doh!

> ROTFLMAO! I can just imagine your trying to equate that to fried
> tomatoes!
>

>> I too love Tomato Pie. This is the one I always make:
>>
>> Tomato Pie

> Mine is a dessert pie, but I'm going to try yours as well. Sounds
> delicious!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> ------------------

Thank you for humoring me Wayne! That's one of your very endearing
qualities. <giggle>

Yep, I was definitely having an idiot day. I kept looking at your
ingredients and going "whoa, that's an awful lot of sugar for frying... and
where the heck is the breading...". <snort>

Looks like you guys are getting some rather warm weather... I don't know
about you but I'm ready for December or January; this stuff is too hot for
my heat sensitivities. Bleh.

Cyndi HotandGoofy

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Jul 2005 09:31:27p, Rick & Cyndi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On 20 Jul 2005, you wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Huh. Yours is quite different from mine. Mine gets breaded with a
>>> mix of flour, cornmeal, salt & pepper and a sprinkle of this and that
>>> plus some Everglades Heat (I LOVE that stuff) and dredged through an
>>> egg wash... then fried. Ah hell... I'm an idiot! I just realized
>>> you posted for a Tomato Pie and not Fried Green Tomatoes! Doh!

>> ROTFLMAO! I can just imagine your trying to equate that to fried
>> tomatoes!
>>

>>> I too love Tomato Pie. This is the one I always make:
>>>
>>> Tomato Pie

>> Mine is a dessert pie, but I'm going to try yours as well. Sounds
>> delicious!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>> ------------------

> Thank you for humoring me Wayne! That's one of your very endearing
> qualities. <giggle>
>
> Yep, I was definitely having an idiot day. I kept looking at your
> ingredients and going "whoa, that's an awful lot of sugar for frying...
> and where the heck is the breading...". <snort>

I got a real kick of it! :-) (I've done the same myself.)

> Looks like you guys are getting some rather warm weather... I don't
> know about you but I'm ready for December or January; this stuff is too
> hot for my heat sensitivities. Bleh.

We're SE of Phoenix in Apache Junction. Phoenix temps make the news, but
it's hotter in AJ. The past two weeks have had highs between 116-119.
AFAIC, uninhabitable without a/c. We've both had our fill, and are driving
to the mountains this weekend.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-1, 07/20/2005
Tested on: 7/20/2005 10:05:00 PM

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[color=blue][i][color=green][i]

Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. There is no way to fix it that
it isn't slimey.

N.
Wayne Bob, you are wrong. Pan fried okra is not always slimey. My grandmother makes it and it is NEVER slimey. In fact, it can be crunchy. Most people just don't know how to make it. Here's how:

In a bowl, mix together cornmeal and a little salt and pepper (actually, I add a lot of salt and pepper). Some people add a little flour, but I don't. Cut the okra into 1/4"-1/2" slices. Pat dry (yes, they are still slimey at this point). Add the okra to bowl and toss well. Let it sit for about 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Just cover the bottom of a large deep-sided skillet or sauté pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil it hot, add the okra, in batches just covering the pan; do not pile up. Don't stir until they are a bit brown. If you stir too early, the cornmeal will fall off. After they start to get brown, stir often. Fry until lightly browned, adjusting the heat as needed so it doesn’t burn. Using a slotted spoon or spider, remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. If desired, season with a little more salt.
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 03 Aug 2005 05:54:40p, tangledup wrote in rec.food.cooking:
[color=blue][i]

> Wrote:[color=green][i]
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>> Folks? Okra wrote the book on slime. There is no way to fix it that
>> it isn't slimey.
>>
>> N.

> Wayne Bob, you are wrong. Pan fried okra is not always slimey. My
> grandmother makes it and it is NEVER slimey. In fact, it can be
> crunchy. Most people just don't know how to make it. Here's how:
>
> In a bowl, mix together cornmeal and a little salt and pepper
> (actually, I add a lot of salt and pepper). Some people add a little
> flour, but I don't. Cut the okra into 1/4"-1/2" slices. Pat dry (yes,
> they are still slimey at this point). Add the okra to bowl and toss
> well. Let it sit for about 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Just cover the
> bottom of a large deep-sided skillet or sauté pan with oil and heat over
> medium-high heat. When the oil it hot, add the okra, in batches just
> covering the pan; do not pile up. Don't stir until they are a bit
> brown. If you stir too early, the cornmeal will fall off. After they
> start to get brown, stir often. Fry until lightly browned, adjusting
> the heat as needed so it doesn’t burn. Using a slotted spoon or spider,
> remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. If desired, season with a
> little more salt.

Your quoting is off! I did not write that okra is slimey. I prepare it
much the same way as you do and it's absolutely delicious.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0531-2, 08/03/2005
Tested on: 8/3/2005 11:43:41 PM

dwacon

My dad fried it in bacon grease... no slime... just a nice bacon-ey crunch.

--
I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
http://www.dwacon.com

Fried Okra International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 16-09-2008 03:53 AM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
Pan Fried Okra Rob Mills Barbecue 0 24-05-2007 10:05 PM
Fried Okra Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 29-09-2004 06:44 PM
Fried Okra And Potatoes luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2003 01:40 PM