jmcquown

Default Which Fish to Grill Today?

Damsel's grilled fish set off a craving. Now if it doesn't rain today I
want to grill fish. The question is, which fish? I have tilapia fillets.
I love tilapia but I'm getting a little tired of it. I have sole fillets
(and sorry, it's not Dover sole, it's Florida sole). I have orange roughy
which I normally would not have bought. It was a fluke; someone tossed the
package in the bin with the cod and at that point all I did was read the
weight and price and pick up the package. Didn't notice I'd bought roughy
until I checked the freezer in the middle of the night.

I was thinking baste with a simple butter/dill concoction and grill some
sliced zucchini (courgettes) to go along with it. Maybe also prepare some
couscous which I would season with garlic and herbs.

Given this choice of fish, which would you grill? I can tell you the
tilapia is the thinnest of the fillets, followed by the sole and the roughy
is the thickest at close to 3/4 inch at the thickest part.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Bob

Jill wrote:

> Damsel's grilled fish set off a craving. Now if it doesn't rain today I
> want to grill fish. The question is, which fish? I have tilapia fillets.
> I love tilapia but I'm getting a little tired of it. I have sole fillets
> (and sorry, it's not Dover sole, it's Florida sole). I have orange roughy
> which I normally would not have bought. It was a fluke; someone tossed
> the package in the bin with the cod and at that point all I did was read
> the weight and price and pick up the package. Didn't notice I'd bought
> roughy until I checked the freezer in the middle of the night.
>
> I was thinking baste with a simple butter/dill concoction and grill some
> sliced zucchini (courgettes) to go along with it. Maybe also prepare some
> couscous which I would season with garlic and herbs.
>
> Given this choice of fish, which would you grill? I can tell you the
> tilapia is the thinnest of the fillets, followed by the sole and the
> roughy is the thickest at close to 3/4 inch at the thickest part.

If you've got orange roughy, then it ISN'T a fluke. Fluke is a totally
different kind of fish -- it's a flatfish like a sole! :-)

Okay, narrowing down your answer by process of elimination, I *wouldn't*
grill the sole. Sole is a very delicate fish, and I think it would suffer
from being grilled.

So that leaves the orange roughy and the tilapia. For the butter-dill
preparation you've got in mind, I think the tilapia would be better-suited
(though I think salmon would be better than either). Orange roughy goes best
with citrus flavors, at least to my tastes.

Bob

jmcquown

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Jill wrote:
>
> > Damsel's grilled fish set off a craving. Now if it doesn't rain today I
> > want to grill fish. The question is, which fish? I have tilapia

fillets.
> > I love tilapia but I'm getting a little tired of it. I have sole

fillets
> > (and sorry, it's not Dover sole, it's Florida sole). I have orange

roughy
> > which I normally would not have bought. It was a fluke; someone tossed
> > the package in the bin with the cod and at that point all I did was read
> > the weight and price and pick up the package. Didn't notice I'd bought
> > roughy until I checked the freezer in the middle of the night.
> >
> > I was thinking baste with a simple butter/dill concoction and grill some
> > sliced zucchini (courgettes) to go along with it. Maybe also prepare

some
> > couscous which I would season with garlic and herbs.
> >
> > Given this choice of fish, which would you grill? I can tell you the
> > tilapia is the thinnest of the fillets, followed by the sole and the
> > roughy is the thickest at close to 3/4 inch at the thickest part.

> If you've got orange roughy, then it ISN'T a fluke. Fluke is a totally
> different kind of fish -- it's a flatfish like a sole! :-)
>
> Okay, narrowing down your answer by process of elimination, I *wouldn't*
> grill the sole. Sole is a very delicate fish, and I think it would suffer
> from being grilled.
>
> So that leaves the orange roughy and the tilapia. For the butter-dill
> preparation you've got in mind, I think the tilapia would be better-suited
> (though I think salmon would be better than either). Orange roughy goes

best
> with citrus flavors, at least to my tastes.
>
> Bob

For the roughy, lemon butter, then? I'm all for that!

Jill

jmcquown

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> > Jill wrote:
> >
> > > (and sorry, it's not Dover sole, it's Florida sole). I have orange

> roughy
> > > which I normally would not have bought. It was a fluke; someone > >

> > If you've got orange roughy, then it ISN'T a fluke. Fluke is a totally
> > different kind of fish -- it's a flatfish like a sole! :-)

LOL You're right, and fluke is not available at my local markets!

> > Okay, narrowing down your answer by process of elimination, I *wouldn't*
> > grill the sole. Sole is a very delicate fish, and I think it would

suffer
> > from being grilled.

I think I'll use it (yet again) for sole piccata! Can't say I get tired of
that, it's an excellent dish served with pasta and steamed asparagus

Jill

Bob

Jill replied to me:

>> Okay, narrowing down your answer by process of elimination, I *wouldn't*
>> grill the sole. Sole is a very delicate fish, and I think it would
>> suffer from being grilled.

> I think I'll use it (yet again) for sole piccata! Can't say I get tired
> of that, it's an excellent dish served with pasta and steamed asparagus

Thinking about what I wrote, you *could* steam-grill the sole by wrapping it
in foil along with whatever other flavoring agents you wanted to add, then
putting the foil packet on the grill, taking care that the grill isn't too
hot. You'd avoid heating up your kitchen, at any rate.

And consolidating my replies, yes, grilled orange roughy with lemon butter
is quite yummy. It's one of my favorites.

Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Damsel's grilled fish set off a craving. Now if it doesn't rain today I
> want to grill fish. The question is, which fish? I have tilapia fillets.
> I love tilapia but I'm getting a little tired of it. I have sole fillets
> (and sorry, it's not Dover sole, it's Florida sole). I have orange roughy
> which I normally would not have bought. It was a fluke; someone tossed the
> package in the bin with the cod and at that point all I did was read the
> weight and price and pick up the package. Didn't notice I'd bought roughy
> until I checked the freezer in the middle of the night.
>
> I was thinking baste with a simple butter/dill concoction and grill some
> sliced zucchini (courgettes) to go along with it. Maybe also prepare some
> couscous which I would season with garlic and herbs.
>
> Given this choice of fish, which would you grill? I can tell you the
> tilapia is the thinnest of the fillets, followed by the sole and the roughy
> is the thickest at close to 3/4 inch at the thickest part.
>
> Jill

I'd follow my housemate's usual advice and use whatever is oldest and
needs to be used up first. ;-D

Cheers and happy grilling!

I just spent an hour or so in the kitchen finishing up the "chicken
etc." soup and threw together some self-serve salad makings in seperate
containers to last the next day or two.

My housemate had requested a broth-type non-chunky soup so I started it
yesterday by pressure cooking some chicken wings with celery, onions,
garlic, a can of salt free peas, and a little lemon pepper, then went
from there.

Got to clean some stuff out of the 'frige, then after removing the meat
and bones (the meat went into a container for the salad makings and the
bones went to the emus), I pureed all the veggies with the stick
blender, added merlot, V-8 juice and some leftover sour cream.

It's quite good! Made too much tho' so had to freeze a couple of
portions. <g>

Making soup can be fun!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> > Jill wrote:
> >
> > > Damsel's grilled fish set off a craving. Now if it doesn't rain today I
> > > want to grill fish. The question is, which fish? I have tilapia

> fillets.
> > > I love tilapia but I'm getting a little tired of it. I have sole

> fillets
> > > (and sorry, it's not Dover sole, it's Florida sole). I have orange

> roughy
> > > which I normally would not have bought. It was a fluke; someone tossed
> > > the package in the bin with the cod and at that point all I did was read
> > > the weight and price and pick up the package. Didn't notice I'd bought
> > > roughy until I checked the freezer in the middle of the night.
> > >
> > > I was thinking baste with a simple butter/dill concoction and grill some
> > > sliced zucchini (courgettes) to go along with it. Maybe also prepare

> some
> > > couscous which I would season with garlic and herbs.
> > >
> > > Given this choice of fish, which would you grill? I can tell you the
> > > tilapia is the thinnest of the fillets, followed by the sole and the
> > > roughy is the thickest at close to 3/4 inch at the thickest part.

> > If you've got orange roughy, then it ISN'T a fluke. Fluke is a totally
> > different kind of fish -- it's a flatfish like a sole! :-)
> >
> > Okay, narrowing down your answer by process of elimination, I *wouldn't*
> > grill the sole. Sole is a very delicate fish, and I think it would suffer
> > from being grilled.
> >
> > So that leaves the orange roughy and the tilapia. For the butter-dill
> > preparation you've got in mind, I think the tilapia would be better-suited
> > (though I think salmon would be better than either). Orange roughy goes

> best
> > with citrus flavors, at least to my tastes.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> For the roughy, lemon butter, then? I'm all for that!
>
> Jill

Don't forget the dill!!!!!! :-d
--
Om.

Nancy Young

"Bob" > wrote

> And consolidating my replies, yes, grilled orange roughy with lemon butter
> is quite yummy. It's one of my favorites.

Not to be a nag or a pest, but are you aware that orange roughy
is endangered?

nancy

jmcquown

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Bob" > wrote
>
> > And consolidating my replies, yes, grilled orange roughy with lemon

butter
> > is quite yummy. It's one of my favorites.

> Not to be a nag or a pest, but are you aware that orange roughy
> is endangered?
>
> nancy

Yep. That's why in my original post I indicated I wouldn't have bought it
except someone tossed it in the bin with the cod fillets. At that point I
was only looking at weight & price when I grabbed the package. I didn't
realize until early this morning it was roughy.

Jill

jmcquown

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > Given this choice of fish, which would you grill? I can tell you the
> > tilapia is the thinnest of the fillets, followed by the sole and the

roughy
> > is the thickest at close to 3/4 inch at the thickest part.
> >
> > Jill

> I'd follow my housemate's usual advice and use whatever is oldest and
> needs to be used up first. ;-D

So, you expect me to ask my *cat* which fish to grill? Hmmm. :-)

> Cheers and happy grilling!

Thanks!

> I just spent an hour or so in the kitchen finishing up the "chicken
> etc." soup and threw together some self-serve salad makings in seperate
> containers to last the next day or two.
>
> Making soup can be fun!
> --
> Om.

LOL! Around here I'm known as the "Soup Queen"

Jill

Bob

Nancy wrote:

> Not to be a nag or a pest, but are you aware that orange roughy
> is endangered?

No, I was *not* aware. Thanks for the information; it prompted me to read
about the fish. Since the fish isn't fecund, it'll probably take at least
twenty years of protection before the population can even approach the level
it was just four years ago. I, for one, will stop eating it immediately.

Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> > > Given this choice of fish, which would you grill? I can tell you the
> > > tilapia is the thinnest of the fillets, followed by the sole and the

> roughy
> > > is the thickest at close to 3/4 inch at the thickest part.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > I'd follow my housemate's usual advice and use whatever is oldest and
> > needs to be used up first. ;-D
> >

> So, you expect me to ask my *cat* which fish to grill? Hmmm. :-)

<rofl!>
I'm sure he/she would be happy to share! ;-)

> > Cheers and happy grilling!
> >

> Thanks!
>
> > I just spent an hour or so in the kitchen finishing up the "chicken
> > etc." soup and threw together some self-serve salad makings in seperate
> > containers to last the next day or two.
> >
> > Making soup can be fun!
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> LOL! Around here I'm known as the "Soup Queen"
>
> Jill

Soup and stew give me an excuse to go thru the freezer! <G>

--
Om.

The Ranger

> > "Bob" > wrote in message
> > > Okay, narrowing down your answer by process of elimination,
> > > I *wouldn't* grill the sole. Sole is a very delicate fish, and I
> > > think it would suffer from being grilled.

Oh yeah; sole is a VERY delicate fish! It's fine taste would disappear
when grilling it. It's also not strong enough to handle being put onto a
grill and flipped. The filet would dissolve into minute flakes and fall
through the rack to the heat source below. Sautéed quickly with a mild
mustard-dill sauce would probably be a better route.

The Ranger

Damsel

"Bob" > said:

> Nancy wrote:
>
> > Not to be a nag or a pest, but are you aware that orange roughy
> > is endangered?

> No, I was *not* aware. Thanks for the information; it prompted me to read
> about the fish. Since the fish isn't fecund, it'll probably take at least
> twenty years of protection before the population can even approach the level
> it was just four years ago. I, for one, will stop eating it immediately.

Bless your pea-pickin' little heart.

Carol
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> "Bob" > said:
>
>> Nancy wrote:
>>
>>> Not to be a nag or a pest, but are you aware that orange roughy
>>> is endangered?

>> No, I was *not* aware. Thanks for the information; it prompted me to
>> read about the fish. Since the fish isn't fecund, it'll probably
>> take at least twenty years of protection before the population can
>> even approach the level it was just four years ago. I, for one,
>> will stop eating it immediately.

> Bless your pea-pickin' little heart.
>
> Carol

I hope everyone will take note I didn't *intend* to buy orange roughy. I
would not have intentionally have bought an over-fished fish. By the time I
noticed it was roughy (early this AM) it had been in the freezer for over a
month so I couldn't exactly take it back. I thought I was picking up cod
fillets. I honestly don't understand why they are still selling roughy.

Jill

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Damsel wrote:

> >> No, I was *not* aware. Thanks for the information; it prompted me to
> >> read about the fish. Since the fish isn't fecund, it'll probably
> >> take at least twenty years of protection before the population can
> >> even approach the level it was just four years ago. I, for one,
> >> will stop eating it immediately.

> > Bless your pea-pickin' little heart.
> >
> > Carol

> I hope everyone will take note I didn't *intend* to buy orange roughy. I
> would not have intentionally have bought an over-fished fish. By the time I
> noticed it was roughy (early this AM) it had been in the freezer for over a
> month so I couldn't exactly take it back. I thought I was picking up cod
> fillets. I honestly don't understand why they are still selling roughy.
>
> Jill

I don't think anyone is going to fault you dear. :-)
--
Om.