notbob

Default butter substitute

OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
recommendations?

nb
Dee Randall

"notbob" > wrote in message
> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

Bob, my reply will not answer your question and you probably won't like my
advice, but here goes my 'butter anonymous" story.
Many years ago after looking around like you, I decided to go cold turkey on
butter. In my opinion, food does not taste 'better' with butter; it used
to. It's been years since I've used butter ON food. I now will use it in
food preparation, such as desserts, but I try to avoid an inordinate amount
of butter, such as were in Peter's biscuits -- however, I wouldn't have
these or anything else made with so much butter everyday. After you get off
butter -- and it will take a looooong time, you will never again think it
tastes that good. I now buy mostly Amish butter because it is the one
butter that still tastes good to me, but I hardly use it. I believe that in
Italy, they don't ordinarily eat bread spread with butter, but in
Scandanivia? they routinely add butter to sandwiches. I think that butter
is a habit or the way we've been brought up. After sitting down with
meal-after-meal in the last few months with my f-i-l, he 'noticed' that I
never had butter on my bread; and I was glad that I was able to say that I
prefer it that way.

There is a substitute 'spectrum' made with palm oil -I think- that I used,
but it is pretty tasteless. I do use coconut oil for a little cooking, but
if you are a die-hard butter lover, it will never do. What do you think of
substituting and learning to absolutely Love olive oil?
Good luck,
Dee

Dee Randall

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:46:38 -0500, notbob wrote:
>
> Any
>> recommendations?
>>
>> nb

> Exercise or Lipitor. Eat the butter. Most of the substitutes are as bad
> and many are worse, not to mention the fact that they are so tastey too.
> Life has too many side effects.

Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high cholesterol.
Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?
Just pondering...
Dee Dee

serene

notbob > wrote:

> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge.

http://www.earthbalance.net -- the stuff in the tan tub is what we use,
and it's the closest to butter we've found. It's yummy.

serene

sarah bennett

notbob wrote:
> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html#p1

their products could all-but-fool me eaten plain on bread. (and this is
coming from someone who generally hates fake *anything*, particularly
dairy fakes.)

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
sarah bennett

serene wrote:
> notbob > wrote:
>

>>OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
>>my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
>>Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
>>no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
>>free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
>>lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
>>substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
>>a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge.

> http://www.earthbalance.net -- the stuff in the tan tub is what we use,
> and it's the closest to butter we've found. It's yummy.
>
> serene

it's one of the few non-dairy margarines i have tried that doesn't have
that icky hydrogenated mouthfeel.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Dave Smith

Dee Randall wrote:

> Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high cholesterol.
> Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
> cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?

It makes no sense to me. My brother had a heart attack at age 50, and no
cholesterol problem. My wife eats a lot of butter, cheese, cream, cold cuts,
eats all the fat on her meat. I cut the fat off meat and leave it for the dogs,
but she will eat my discarded fat. I don't understand how anyone can like the
fat that much. She has not cholesterol problem. My father in law also ate all
that same sort of stuff and was healthy as a horse until a few months before he
started having a heart problem when he was almost 95. Meanwhile, other people
are taking all that good stuff out of their diets to reduce cholesterol. I
think there must be something else to it.

jay

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:30 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> "jay" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:46:38 -0500, notbob wrote:
>>
>> Any
>>> recommendations?
>>>
>>> nb

>> Exercise or Lipitor. Eat the butter. Most of the substitutes are as bad
>> and many are worse, not to mention the fact that they are so tastey too.
>> Life has too many side effects.

> Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high cholesterol.
> Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
> cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?
> Just pondering...
> Dee Dee

My friend that smokes 2 packs a day is worried about his cholestrol. Most
recommendations concerning health issues come from those PRACTICING
physicians.

serene

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> We've been using "Canola Harvest", which has no trans fats and is
> cholersterol free. We like it much better than others we've tried. We
> hated "Smart Balance".

We think Smart Balance is okay, but we really like Earth Balance, which
is a bit different, but not a lot.

serene

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 15 Jul 2005 01:21:52p, sarah bennett wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> serene wrote:
>> notbob > wrote:
>>

>>>OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
>>>my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
>>>Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
>>>no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
>>>free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
>>>lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
>>>substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
>>>a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge.

>> http://www.earthbalance.net -- the stuff in the tan tub is what we use,
>> and it's the closest to butter we've found. It's yummy.
>>
>> serene

> it's one of the few non-dairy margarines i have tried that doesn't have
> that icky hydrogenated mouthfeel.

We've been using "Canola Harvest", which has no trans fats and is
cholersterol free. We like it much better than others we've tried. We
hated "Smart Balance".

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dimitri

"notbob" > wrote in message
> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

Are you medicated? I take Zocor and eat all the butter and Mayo I want. I also
cook mostly with OO and use EVOO is salads and for dipping. I had bloodwork
done last week. The overall count 156. All the individual components were in
range. This was a decrease from the last time. The last time I was low carbing
it and the overall was 167.

I firmly believe there is a lot of genetic influence here.

Please understand I am not recommending my life style or my medication. We use
Smart Balance for those in the house who are not as lucky as I am. Sometimes
I'll use some of that. I think it is pleasing not because of teats but because
of mouth feel.

For pure flavor some of the powders like Butter Buds or Molly McButter are quite
good sprinkled on veggies.

Good Luck,

Dimitri

sarah bennett

Dimitri wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>
>>OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
>>my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
>>Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
>>no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
>>free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
>>lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
>>substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
>>a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
>>should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
>>semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
>>recommendations?
>>
>>nb

> Are you medicated? I take Zocor and eat all the butter and Mayo I want. I also
> cook mostly with OO and use EVOO is salads and for dipping. I had bloodwork
> done last week. The overall count 156. All the individual components were in
> range. This was a decrease from the last time. The last time I was low carbing
> it and the overall was 167.
>
> I firmly believe there is a lot of genetic influence here.
>
> Please understand I am not recommending my life style or my medication. We use
> Smart Balance for those in the house who are not as lucky as I am. Sometimes
> I'll use some of that. I think it is pleasing not because of teats but because
> of mouth feel.
>
> For pure flavor some of the powders like Butter Buds or Molly McButter are quite
> good sprinkled on veggies.

they taste pretty butter-like, but are too salty for my taste. I use
real butter. you don't have to eat it a stick at a time, you know

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Bob

Dee Dee wrote:

> Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high cholesterol.
> Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
> cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?
> Just pondering...

"LIPITOR is not for everyone . . . It has not been shown to prevent heart
disease or heart attacks."

(From http://www.lipitor.com)

Bob

Dee Randall

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high
>> cholesterol.
>> Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
>> cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?
>>

> It makes no sense to me. My brother had a heart attack at age 50, and no
> cholesterol problem. My wife eats a lot of butter, cheese, cream, cold
> cuts,
> eats all the fat on her meat. I cut the fat off meat and leave it for the
> dogs,
> but she will eat my discarded fat. I don't understand how anyone can like
> the
> fat that much. She has not cholesterol problem. My father in law also ate
> all
> that same sort of stuff and was healthy as a horse until a few months
> before he
> started having a heart problem when he was almost 95. Meanwhile, other
> people
> are taking all that good stuff out of their diets to reduce cholesterol.
> think there must be something else to it.

A book that I bought and have read some of it is called "Stop Inflammation
Now! .. A Step-by-Step Plan to prevent, treat and reverse Inflmmation--the
Leading Cause of Heart Disease and Related Conditions" 2005, Avery
publishing, by Richard M. Fleming, M.D. This 'inflammation theory' has
been in the news of late, but not headline news.
Your description brings a smile to my lips thinking of my grandmother whom I
can remember as a child eating fat and seeing it on her arms up to her
elbow; but I can't state what she died from. And another cousin who is now
82 and having fun as a 'red hatter' and eating all sour cream she can
devour.
Dee

Bob

Dimitri wrote:

> We use Smart Balance for those in the house who are not as lucky as I am.
> Sometimes I'll use some of that. I think it is pleasing not because of
> teats but because of mouth feel.

Okay, that last sentence got my attention: Smart Balance comes in teats?
AND it has a good mouth feel? (Well, OF COURSE it would!)

Oh, I bet you meant "taste." Had me going there for a minute.

Bob

Dean G.

So you need to reduce you LDLs ? Then you need to go with a sub that is
high in HDLs. Look for things made with olive oil, canola oil, and
other oils high in mono-unsaturated fats like (surprisingly) hazlenut
oil. Remember, all oils are fat, but the ones that are primarily
mono-unsaturated with very little saturated fat are much better for
you.

Personally, I'd never completely give up butter, but I don't use it on
much. Waffles will have real butter and real maple syrup till the day I
die eating them. But I don't have them very often. Eggs don't need
butter, and I try not to fry them in bacon grease very often any more.
Hash browns get the good oils (yes, they do taste better in butter),
and more onions. Toast gets just a dab of butter instead of four large
slabs. Mashed potatoes taste good with various cheeses added instead of
gobs of butter. Roasted garlic is good on bread without butter.

Butter is such a small part of my diet, that I can't see it making a
huge difference in my LDL. I have cut back on rib-eyes, and eat more
chicken and round steaks/roasts. I also cut back on bacon. Each is more
significant than butter in my diet.

There are also many ways to prepare Salmon without butter. Salmon is
high in omega-3 fatty acids, and adding butter seems to be
counter-productive.

Dean G.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 15 Jul 2005 01:30:58p, serene wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> We've been using "Canola Harvest", which has no trans fats and is
>> cholersterol free. We like it much better than others we've tried. We
>> hated "Smart Balance".

> We think Smart Balance is okay, but we really like Earth Balance, which
> is a bit different, but not a lot.
>
> serene

I've never seen Earth Balance. It may not be carried in our area.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Julia Altshuler

notbob wrote:
> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?

I recommend very small amounts of the real thing. From a cooking
perspective, wild salmon is fine with nothing or a brushing of an olive
oil based glaze. Put jam on bread. Skip cake altogether. I don't
recommend substitutions. Even if they taste close to the real thing,
you never feel quite satisfied and end up eating more and more. From a
health and nutrition perspective, make sure you're one of those people
for whom cutting down on dietary cholesterol works to prevent heart
disease. Different diets work for different people so make sure you're
following the diet that works for you. There are people who do great on
a low fat Pritikin type diet and others for whom Atkins is the ticket.

--Lia

I-zheet M'drurz

sarah bennett spaketh thusly:

> you don't have to eat it a stick at a time, you know

DING DING DING DING DING! we have a *winner*!!!

>>> L E S S <<< Butter, original poster!

Start by cutting a stick into 1 Tbsp "pats". Every time you eat
one (realize that you might have eaten 2 or 3's worth before you
discovered 'portion control') say to yourself - I am ingesting
100 calories of pure FAT.

It worked for me. In fact, a week ago I started cutting my Tbsp
portions in half. It's amazing how many things that used to need
a whole pat now STILL WORK with a half!

(PS: I use the spray/baking/"Pam" stuff on my popcorn, only to
help heep the garlic/onion powder mixture reasonably attached.)

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)

CheCooks

My cholesterol dropped when I went from margarine to real unsalted butter!!!
No joke....

Che

"notbob" > wrote in message
> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

Dee Randall

"CheCooks" > wrote in message
. ..
> My cholesterol dropped when I went from margarine to real unsalted
> butter!!!
> No joke....
>
> Che
>

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
>> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
>> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
>> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
>> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
>> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
>> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
>> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
>> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
>> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
>> recommendations?
>>
>> nb

Because margarine is trans-fat; I've heard, a killer.
Dee Dee

Dimitri

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> We use Smart Balance for those in the house who are not as lucky as I am.
>> Sometimes I'll use some of that. I think it is pleasing not because of
>> teats but because of mouth feel.

> Okay, that last sentence got my attention: Smart Balance comes in teats? AND
> it has a good mouth feel? (Well, OF COURSE it would!)
>
> Oh, I bet you meant "taste."

Yep - it has not been a good day.....

Dimitri

Dimitri

"CheCooks" > wrote in message
. ..
> My cholesterol dropped when I went from margarine to real unsalted butter!!!
> No joke....
>
> Che

yep - mine too.

Dimitri

Damsel

notbob > said:

> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?

Benecol? I haven't tasted it, but it's supposed to improve your lipids.

Carol

limey

"notbob" wrote in message
> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

I sneak butter for myself whenever I can; otherwise, we both use "I Can't
Believe It's Not Butter" (no trans fats and it doesn't taste too bad).

My cholesterol last time was 177. However, my HDL is 9 - yes, 9. Last
three tests, it has been 13, 10, then 9. My doctor says he has never seen
it so low - as I asked him, when it gets to zero do they shovel me in?
Neither an endocrinologist nor anything on the internet has an answer.
Enjoy your butter - I know I do.

Dora

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, notbob
> wrote:

> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction.

What are you doing about it?

> My last holdout is my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on
> my grilled wild Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of
> those healthy no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free,
> non-hydrogenated, free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered,
> frontal lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can
> be a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?

> nb

I use Butter Buds sprinkles on hot vegetables. I haven't been baking
any sweets since I modified my eating habits. Good luck in the
reduction, nb. My weight's been pretty steady for at least a couple
weeks in spite of not-so-faithful adherence to my food plan nor
exercising as much as I should. Got rid of Sister Irene today and am
back to minding my ps and qs.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!
Dave Smith

Dee Randall wrote:

> Your description brings a smile to my lips thinking of my grandmother whom I
> can remember as a child eating fat and seeing it on her arms up to her
> elbow; but I can't state what she died from. And another cousin who is now
> 82 and having fun as a 'red hatter' and eating all sour cream she can
> devour.

I should also have mentioned my grandmother (father's mother) who died less than
two weeks short of 100 and living on her own until she was almost 90. She
always ate a lot of ham, ice cream for dessert almost every night, a lot of
cheese, and butter. She used to bring out a big pitcher of cream with tea and
coffee, and if there was any left it never made it to the fridge. She drank it.
She died after breaking a hip for the second time. No heart problems at all.
Yet, she lost daughter at 44 to a brain embolism and a son at 49 to a heart
attack.

I-zheet M'drurz

Dee Randall spaketh thusly:

> Your description brings a smile
> to my lips thinking of my grandmother whom I can remember as a
> child eating fat and seeing it on her arms up to her elbow; but
> I can't state what she died from. And another cousin who is now
> 82 and having fun as a 'red hatter' and eating all sour cream
> she can devour.

Whenever this subject comes up, I have to share my story of cousin
Eddie. When cousin Eddie came to the family summer cabin, his
specialty was breakfast (usually for about 10 people). He fried
up about 2 lbs of bacon and just kept the grease going in a big
ol' cast iron skillet and literally deep fried your fried eggs
for you, just swam 'em through the grease bath for a few minutes
and plopped 'em right on to the plate when done. Oooh! Ahhhh!
don't they look *pretty*, nice and done on the outside and full
of hot liquid yellow middles! Yum-m-m-m-m!

Cousin Eddie ate his own cooking of course, not just at camp but
24/7/365, and damned if we (ignorant at the time, admittedly)
could figure out why he dropped dead of a massive heart attack at
the grand old age of 44! Oh well, RIP cousin Eddie. Loved them
eggs, buddy.

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
jmcquown

notbob wrote:
> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

My mom uses Benecol spread. I've only ever tried it on a single piece of
toast so I can't really speak to whether it tastes that much like butter.
But although mom had been on cholesterol medication for a number of years,
after she switched to Benecol her cholesterol level was down considerably at
her next checkup.

Jill

Boron Elgar

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:30 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"jay" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:46:38 -0500, notbob wrote:
>>
>> Any
>>> recommendations?
>>>
>>> nb

>> Exercise or Lipitor. Eat the butter. Most of the substitutes are as bad
>> and many are worse, not to mention the fact that they are so tastey too.
>> Life has too many side effects.

>Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high cholesterol.
>Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
>cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?
>Just pondering...
>Dee Dee

What makes you think that the 50% who do not have high cholesterol do
not have some other risk factor for heart disease?

Boron
Dee Randall

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:30 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>"jay" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:46:38 -0500, notbob wrote:
>>>
>>> Any

>>> Exercise or Lipitor. Eat the butter. Most of the substitutes are as
>>> bad
>>> and many are worse, not to mention the fact that they are so tastey too.
>>> Life has too many side effects.

>>Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high cholesterol.
>>Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
>>cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?
>>Just pondering...
>>Dee Dee
>>

> What makes you think that the 50% who do not have high cholesterol do
> not have some other risk factor for heart disease?
>
> Boron

I cited in another posting a book that I have purchased (and read a portion
of) that does theorize on the possibility of 'inflamation' as a risk factor
for heart disease. I do believe that high cholesterol is not the only risk
factor for heart disease.
Dee Dee

sarah bennett

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> sarah bennett spaketh thusly:
>

>>you don't have to eat it a stick at a time, you know

> DING DING DING DING DING! we have a *winner*!!!

> Start by cutting a stick into 1 Tbsp "pats". Every time you eat
> one (realize that you might have eaten 2 or 3's worth before you
> discovered 'portion control') say to yourself - I am ingesting
> 100 calories of pure FAT.
>
> It worked for me. In fact, a week ago I started cutting my Tbsp
> portions in half. It's amazing how many things that used to need
> a whole pat now STILL WORK with a half!
>
> (PS: I use the spray/baking/"Pam" stuff on my popcorn, only to
> help heep the garlic/onion powder mixture reasonably attached.)

we do butter-parmesan-cayenne here, usually. but I'm thinking that sweet
kettle corn could be nice the next night we're up watching a movie.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

Yeah, give up sugar instead.

Eating cholesterol does not raise your cholesterol.
That's why people end up on Statins when a "low fat, low cholesterol"
diet ends up not working!

Enhjoy your butter...... Quit drinking sodas and eating high sugar
desserts every night!

Would not hurt to give up bread either. Bread, more than anything else,
raises my blood lipid levels.

It's handy to be able to have my blood drawn monthly and run levels to
see what diet does. ;-) I can run it for free.
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:46:38 -0500, notbob wrote:
>
> Any
> > recommendations?
> >
> > nb

> Exercise or Lipitor. Eat the butter. Most of the substitutes are as bad
> and many are worse, not to mention the fact that they are so tastey too.
> Life has too many side effects.

Not lipitor, Vanachol.....

No side effects and it's not hepatotoxic.

It's fairly new on the scene, but is giving good reviews.
--
Om.

Boron Elgar

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:29:28 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:30 -0400, "Dee Randall"
>> > wrote:

>>>Statistics: 50% of heart attacks occur in people without high cholesterol.
>>>Hmm ... does this also mean that 50% of people who have had their
>>>cholesterol lowered by statins still have heart attacks?
>>>Just pondering...
>>>Dee Dee
>>>

>> What makes you think that the 50% who do not have high cholesterol do
>> not have some other risk factor for heart disease?
>>
>> Boron

>I cited in another posting a book that I have purchased (and read a portion
>of) that does theorize on the possibility of 'inflamation' as a risk factor
>for heart disease. I do believe that high cholesterol is not the only risk
>factor for heart disease.
>Dee Dee

I do not think that anyone has ever claimed it is the *only* risk
indicator. There are any number of them, including genetics, but that
does not mean that high cholesterol levels, in particular poor LDL/HDL
ratios are not a risk indicator.

Inflammation is now thought to contribute to coronary artery disease
by facilitating fatty deposit build up in the arteries. R-Reactive
protein (CRP), which seems indicative of inflammation, is being
studies to determine if it can be used as a risk marker.

For many victims, the first sign of heart disease is death. That does
not mean that these people did not have risk factors, but that they
were undetected.

Boron
Dee Randall

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:29:28 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:30 -0400, "Dee Randall"

>>> What makes you think that the 50% who do not have high cholesterol do
>>> not have some other risk factor for heart disease?
>>>
>>> Boron

>>I cited in another posting a book that I have purchased (and read a
>>portion
>>of) that does theorize on the possibility of 'inflamation' as a risk
>>factor
>>for heart disease. I do believe that high cholesterol is not the only
>>risk
>>factor for heart disease.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> I do not think that anyone has ever claimed it is the *only* risk
> indicator. There are any number of them, including genetics, but that
> does not mean that high cholesterol levels, in particular poor LDL/HDL
> ratios are not a risk indicator.
>
> Inflammation is now thought to contribute to coronary artery disease
> by facilitating fatty deposit build up in the arteries. R-Reactive
> protein (CRP), which seems indicative of inflammation, is being
> studies to determine if it can be used as a risk marker.
>
> For many victims, the first sign of heart disease is death. That does
> not mean that these people did not have risk factors, but that they
> were undetected.
>
> Boron

I agree.
Dee Dee

I-zheet M'drurz

sarah bennett spaketh thusly:
> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

>> (PS: I use the spray/baking/"Pam" stuff on my popcorn, only
>> to help heep the garlic/onion powder mixture reasonably
>> attached.)

> we do butter-parmesan-cayenne here, usually. but I'm thinking
> that sweet kettle corn could be nice the next night we're up
> watching a movie.

A couple of qualifiers he 1) It's been so long since I've had
"real" kettle corn that I might be easily impressed by a kettle
corn "wannabe", and B) I really do prefer bulk popcorn made in my
microwave popper bowl (yep, I'll use Parm too, as a treat), but...

Jolly Time makes a decent microwave lo cal/lo fat kettle corn, 225
cals for the whole bag, same as their ultra-low butter product.

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Damsel

"I-zheet M'drurz" > said:

> sarah bennett spaketh thusly:
>
> > we do butter-parmesan-cayenne here, usually. but I'm thinking
> > that sweet kettle corn could be nice the next night we're up
> > watching a movie.

> A couple of qualifiers he 1) It's been so long since I've had
> "real" kettle corn that I might be easily impressed by a kettle
> corn "wannabe", and B) I really do prefer bulk popcorn made in my
> microwave popper bowl (yep, I'll use Parm too, as a treat), but...
>
> Jolly Time makes a decent microwave lo cal/lo fat kettle corn, 225
> cals for the whole bag, same as their ultra-low butter product.

You can use up to twice as much sugar as is called for in this recipe. I
prefer a more subtle sweet taste. This probably wouldn't work in a
microwave popper bowl, but you never know.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kettle Corn

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : snacks

vegetable oil
popcorn
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
salt -- for sprinkling

In a three-quart saucepan (or "kettle") with a tight-fitting lid, pour
enough oil to cover to a depth of about one-half the size of a popcorn
kernel. Add two "test" kernels of popcorn, and turn heat to medium high.
When the test kernels pop, the oil is hot enough to continue.

Quickly pour in enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the saucepan in an
even layer. Sprinkle the sugar over the unpopped kernels, and place the
lid on the pan. As the corn pops, shake the pan occasionally to assure
that unpopped kernels reach the bottom of the pan. When the lid starts to
lift off the pan and the popping slows or stops, remove pan from heat.

Pour popped corn into a large bowl or several smaller ones. Dust lightly
with salt.

Yield:
"12 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brick

On 15-Jul-2005, notbob > wrote:

> OK, I'm in serious need of cholesteral reduction. My last holdout is
> my beloved butter (still gonna use real butter on my grilled wild
> Sockeye salmon tonight!! . I gotta find one of those healthy
> no-cholesterol, no-trans-fat, sodium-free, non-hydrogenated,
> free-range, dairy-free, non-genetically engineered, frontal
> lobotomized, save-the-children-oceans-air, pro-choice, butter
> substitutes that will extend my life until my SS runs out and I can be
> a healthy drooling idiot sleeping under a bridge. Preferably, it
> should actaully taste in the same galaxy as butter and not be a
> semi-pourable liquid at below freezing temperatures. Any
> recommendations?
>
> nb

Start reading the labels of the whipped margarines. I use Parkay.
0 cholesteral, 0 transfat. 7g fat (1.5g saturated fat)
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)