Kate Connally

Default Dinner tonight - er... Last Night

Dog3 wrote:

> I had a really busy morning Wednesday. I got home about 3pm and decided on
> dinner and a movie at home. I put together some Posole stew and watched
> The Sum of Us on the IFC channel. I seldom follow a recipe exactly but this
> is the recipe I went by and usually use the recipe as a guideline. I think
> the recipe is still on cyber-kitchen.com. I leave out the cloves and add a
> bit more cumin and I add some fresh cilantro. I use the optional
> incredients. This is very tasty.
>
> Michael
>
> posted by Tonkmom 12-12-2001 8:06 AM
>
> Posole Stew
> Originally posted by Kevin in Las Cruces
>
> 2 Tbsp oil
> 1 sm onion, chopped
> 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
> 1/2 tsp black pepper
> 1/2 tsp ground cumin
> 1/2 tsp ground cloves
> 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
> 1 1/2 lbs pork shoulder, roasted, then cut into 1" cubes (after it has been
> cooked
> 3 cups chicken broth
> 1 cup chopped green chile
> 2 jalapenos, chopped (optional)
> 3 cups cooked posole or 3 cups canned hominy
>
> Heat oil until hot, saute onion until it begins to brown a little. Add the
> garlic, black pepper, cumin, cloves, and cayenne, stir and cook 1 minute to
> ripen and toast. Add in the pork, cooked posole (or hominy), broth, green
> chile, and jalapenos. Cover, simmer at least 1 hour, anything less than 2
> hours will still be fine.
>
> Serve with red enchilada sauce, picante sauce, lime wedges, and flour (or
> corn) tortillas.

Okay, now you've made me hungry for posole.
This recipe sounds somewhat similar to mine
except for all the spices. Mine called for
finely shredded radish, shredded lettuce,
and salsa to put on top and then lime wedges
to squeeze over it. I've got some country-style
ribs in the freezer and they are what I usually
use for this so I'm good to go.

Here's my recipe:

POZOLE
(Jaliscan Hominy Soup)

3 lb. country-style spareribs
2 T. lard or vegetable oil
1 c. finely chopped white onion
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. cumin seeds, crushed
3 cans condensed chicken broth
3 cans water
1 can (29 oz.) hominy
fresh or bottled tomato salsa
shredded iceberg lettuce
sliced radishes
sliced green onions
lime wedges

Trim fat from spareribs. Brown ribs in lard in 6-7 quart Dutch oven
over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 30-40
minutes. Remove ribs from pan. Add onion to pan; saute over medium
heat until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, salt, oregano, and cumin;
saute 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, water, and spareribs to pan. Heat
over medium heat to boiling; reduce heat to very low. Simmer, covered,
until ribs are tender, 2-2½ hours. Remove spareribs to plate; let stand
until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard fat
and bones from ribs. Break meat into large chunks; return to soup.
Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or overnight. Prepare salsa, if making
fresh. Remove and discard fat from top of soup. Stir in hominy. Heat
over medium heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 30
minutes. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Pass lettuce, radishes,
green onions, lime wedges, and salsa to be added according to
individual taste. Serve with warm corn tortillas. Makes 4-6 servings.

Kate