sf

Default What's a cube steak?

I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
serve it to me).

The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
this or is some other cut usually used?

TIA

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
> serve it to me).
>
> The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
> a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
> this or is some other cut usually used?
>
> TIA

Depends on your recipe. I pound round steak with a mallet for mine. Cube
steak is basically that, cute into pieces and run through a tenderizing
machine to give it that weird "holes in it" effect. Usually more expensive
than just beating the crap out of round steak and then cutting it up
yourself You can buy tenderized whole round steaks, too.

Jill (adding round steak to my shopping list)

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 12 Jul 2005 05:50:34p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
> serve it to me).
>
> The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
> a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
> this or is some other cut usually used?
>
> TIA

Cube steak usually starts its life out as round steak, although other not-
so-tender cuts may be used. The old equipment that processed it into cube
steak was called a cubing machine. Today it's more commonly known as a
tenderizing machine. The meat is passed through the machine where dozens
or hundreds of tiny knives pierce and cut through the meat at close
intervals. Voila! Cube Steak! More recently I've noticed in the
supermarket that pork steaks and even turkey meat are being sold as
tenderized cuts, having made the same pass through the same type of
equipment.

Chicken fried steak, or country fried steak, is usually made from cube
steak that has been coated in some fashion from as simple as a seasoned
flour to dips into milk and egg, crumbs, etc.

Many decades ago when the cubing machine wasn't as common, folks bought
round steak and attacked it with a mallet that had deep raised diamond-
shaped or linear patterns on it. It was pounded half to death before
coating and cooking.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-2, 07/12/2005
Tested on: 7/12/2005 6:07:52 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 12 Jul 2005 06:02:17p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sf wrote:
>> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
>> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
>> relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
>> serve it to me).
>>
>> The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
>> a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
>> this or is some other cut usually used?
>>
>> TIA

> Depends on your recipe. I pound round steak with a mallet for mine.
> Cube steak is basically that, cute into pieces and run through a
> tenderizing machine to give it that weird "holes in it" effect. Usually
> more expensive than just beating the crap out of round steak and then
> cutting it up yourself You can buy tenderized whole round steaks,
> too.
>
> Jill (adding round steak to my shopping list)

When I'm going to make chicken fried steak I always pick out the round
steak I want, then take it to someone in the meat department and ask them
to run it through the tenderizer. There's never any extra charge.
Perhaps the prepackaged cube steak is sold at a higher price. I don't
know. I prefer picking out the piece of steak myself so I really know
what I'm getting.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-2, 07/12/2005
Tested on: 7/12/2005 6:13:38 PM

Kevin_Sheehy

sf wrote:
> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> relatives by marriage who love it.

<snip>

I think you're just trying to get the "I hate Sandra Lee" threads going
again.

I-zheet M'drurz

Kevin_Sheehy spaketh thusly:
> sf wrote:

>> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've
>> never managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in
>> spite of having relatives by marriage who love it.

> <snip>
>
> I think you're just trying to get the "I hate Sandra Lee"
> threads going again.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who smelled a rat here.

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Damsel

"I-zheet M'drurz" > said:

> Kevin_Sheehy spaketh thusly:
> > sf wrote:

> >> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've
> >> never managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in
> >> spite of having relatives by marriage who love it.

> > <snip>
> >
> > I think you're just trying to get the "I hate Sandra Lee"
> > threads going again.

> I'm glad I wasn't the only one who smelled a rat here.

sf is *not* a troll.

Carol
S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:

<snip>

> Many decades ago when the cubing machine wasn't as common, folks bought
> round steak and attacked it with a mallet that had deep raised diamond-
> shaped or linear patterns on it. It was pounded half to death before
> coating and cooking.

I have an old wooden mallet like that -- it belonged to my
grandmother...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 12 Jul 2005 06:23:36p, I-zheet M'drurz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Kevin_Sheehy spaketh thusly:
>> sf wrote:

>>> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've
>>> never managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of
>>> having relatives by marriage who love it.

>> <snip>
>>
>> I think you're just trying to get the "I hate Sandra Lee" threads
>> going again.

> I'm glad I wasn't the only one who smelled a rat here.

Sandra Lee's a rat?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-2, 07/12/2005
Tested on: 7/12/2005 6:26:35 PM

Curly Sue

On 13 Jul 2005 03:17:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>When I'm going to make chicken fried steak I always pick out the round
>steak I want, then take it to someone in the meat department and ask them
>to run it through the tenderizer.

<snip>

You need a Volvo.

Sue(tm)

sf wrote:
> [...]The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together
> - so it's a pretenderized WHAT?.

Heya, sf-

Thanks for bringing back my worst childhood food memory. My mom used
to make "cube steak" regularly. An incredibly tough round cut was
rendered 10% less tough by having been mechnically beaten until it
looked like a meat waffle, then twice as tough by being badly
overcooked, then disguised with a topping of fried onions. I always
saved it for last, since (1) by definition, you couldn't eat anything
after you finished the cube steak because it was impossible to finish
the cube steak, and (2) chewing it worked great for pulling the stuck
bits of corn out of one's teeth.

>Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for this

No. Cube steak is what you're not supposed to use for anything.

Dan Masi

ryan

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:50:34 -0700, sf wrote:

> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
> serve it to me).
>
> The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
> a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
> this or is some other cut usually used?
>
> TIA

where is penmart when u need him..
itsjoannotjoann

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Cube steak usually starts its life out as round steak, although other not-
> so-tender cuts may be used. The old equipment that processed it into cube
> steak was called a cubing machine. Today it's more commonly known as a
> tenderizing machine.
>

> Many decades ago when the cubing machine wasn't as common, folks bought
> round steak and attacked it with a mallet that had deep raised diamond-
> shaped or linear patterns on it. It was pounded half to death before
> coating and cooking.

The first time I made country fried steak many years ago a girlfriend
gave me her recipe out of her Betty Crocker cookbook. I bought the
round steak and told my b/f what we were having. While he was taking a
shower I was pounding the hell out of that steak and believe me, it was
tender when I got through with it. When he got out of the shower he
wanted to know if I had completed the den conversion he had been
working on. He said he could hear me pounding on that steak over the
water running in the shower with the door closed.

Sheldon

> sf wrote:
> > [...]The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together
> > - so it's a pretenderized WHAT?.

> Heya, sf-
>
> Thanks for bringing back my worst childhood food memory. My mom used
> to make "cube steak" regularly. An incredibly tough round cut was
> rendered 10% less tough by having been mechnically beaten until it
> looked like a meat waffle, then twice as tough by being badly
> overcooked, then disguised with a topping of fried onions. I always
> saved it for last, since (1) by definition, you couldn't eat anything
> after you finished the cube steak because it was impossible to finish
> the cube steak, and (2) chewing it worked great for pulling the stuck
> bits of corn out of one's teeth.
>
> >Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for this

> No. Cube steak is what you're not supposed to use for anything.
>
> Dan Masi

You're fired, get your dumb butt outta my kitchen, NOW! You haven't a
clue... cube steak is used for many great classic dishes.

Cube Steak

1/4 cup cooking oil
1 can sliced water chestnuts drained
1 1/2 pounds cube steak
1 jar homestyle beef gravy
1 bell pepper cut into strips
chow mein noodles
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cut steak into 1/4 inch strips. Heat oil over medium high heat. Add
steak, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and salt. Cook until meat is
brown, stirring constantly. Drain and add water chestnuts and gravy.
Cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve over
rice and sprinkle with chow mein noodles.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 12 Jul 2005 07:14:24p, itsjoannotjoann wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>> Cube steak usually starts its life out as round steak, although other
>> not- so-tender cuts may be used. The old equipment that processed it
>> into cube steak was called a cubing machine. Today it's more commonly
>> known as a tenderizing machine.
>>

>> Many decades ago when the cubing machine wasn't as common, folks bought
>> round steak and attacked it with a mallet that had deep raised diamond-
>> shaped or linear patterns on it. It was pounded half to death before
>> coating and cooking.
>>

> The first time I made country fried steak many years ago a girlfriend
> gave me her recipe out of her Betty Crocker cookbook. I bought the
> round steak and told my b/f what we were having. While he was taking a
> shower I was pounding the hell out of that steak and believe me, it was
> tender when I got through with it. When he got out of the shower he
> wanted to know if I had completed the den conversion he had been
> working on. He said he could hear me pounding on that steak over the
> water running in the shower with the door closed.

LOL! To be sure, it's loud! I don't usually use one, preferring to have
it run through the machine, although i still have my mother's old one and
have tried it.

When I pound chicken, pork, or veal into very thin cutlets, I use a rubber
mallet that I bought at the hardware store. Even that's loud, but not
quite as loud as wood or metal.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-2, 07/12/2005
Tested on: 7/12/2005 7:38:42 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 12 Jul 2005 06:56:21p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sf wrote:
>> [...]The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so
>> it's a pretenderized WHAT?.

> Heya, sf-
>
> Thanks for bringing back my worst childhood food memory. My mom used
> to make "cube steak" regularly. An incredibly tough round cut was
> rendered 10% less tough by having been mechnically beaten until it
> looked like a meat waffle, then twice as tough by being badly
> overcooked, then disguised with a topping of fried onions. I always
> saved it for last, since (1) by definition, you couldn't eat anything
> after you finished the cube steak because it was impossible to finish
> the cube steak, and (2) chewing it worked great for pulling the stuck
> bits of corn out of one's teeth.
>
>>Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for this

> No. Cube steak is what you're not supposed to use for anything.
>
> Dan Masi

Had it been put through a tenderizer and cooked properly, it would have
been very tender. Blame your mother.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-2, 07/12/2005
Tested on: 7/12/2005 7:40:30 PM

Sheryl Rosen

Wayne Boatwright at wrote on 7/12/05 10:42 PM:

>> The first time I made country fried steak many years ago a girlfriend
>> gave me her recipe out of her Betty Crocker cookbook. I bought the
>> round steak and told my b/f what we were having. While he was taking a
>> shower I was pounding the hell out of that steak and believe me, it was
>> tender when I got through with it. When he got out of the shower he
>> wanted to know if I had completed the den conversion he had been
>> working on. He said he could hear me pounding on that steak over the
>> water running in the shower with the door closed.

> LOL! To be sure, it's loud! I don't usually use one, preferring to have
> it run through the machine, although i still have my mother's old one and
> have tried it.
>
> When I pound chicken, pork, or veal into very thin cutlets, I use a rubber
> mallet that I bought at the hardware store. Even that's loud, but not
> quite as loud as wood or metal.

Cube steak can be dangerous in the wrong hands.
Made correctly--that is, seasoned well and cooked very quickly over high
heat until no more than medium-well (it only takes 4-5 minutes to cook a
cube steak), it can be quite delicious. It goes on sale regularly here for
about $3 a pound. And a pound is 4-5 steaks.

I usually season the steaks with a flavorful blend, such as a Montreal
Steak, or just salt, pepper and garlic--whatever you like on beef--and let
it sit while I sauté a bunch of onions until caramelized (add mushrooms if
you are so inclined, I do if I have'em). I take the onions out of the
frying pan, make sure my side dishes are nearly ready--and then I add a
tablespoon or so of margarine or oil (canola, corn, olive, whatever is
handy) to the skillet and just sear the meat on both sides. Like I said, 2-3
minutes on the first side, flip'em, another minute or 2 on the other. Remove
from the pan and hold aside. Then I either just serve it with the sauteed
onions, or I'll add back the onions, add a big splash of worcestershire, a
smaller splash of red wine or vinegar to deglaze, some water or if I have
beef broth, great, if not--water is fine--bring it to a boil, lower the heat
and add the meat back to the pan, letting the juices reduce by half. A pat
of butter will smooth out the sauce, if you like. Add some crushed black
pepper and you're ready to go.

You have a very inexpensive steak with a very elegant fancy pan
sauce--served with mashed potatoes or rice and it's a very quick, very
affordable weeknight meal. And it eats a lot fancier than its price and ease
of prep would indicate.

sf

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:55:17 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2005 03:17:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> >When I'm going to make chicken fried steak I always pick out the round
> >steak I want, then take it to someone in the meat department and ask them
> >to run it through the tenderizer.

> <snip>
>
> You need a Volvo.

Only Tammy and I understand that one - and it's CHICKEN, not beef.

LOLOL
sf

On 13 Jul 2005 03:12:04 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Cube steak usually starts its life out as round steak, although other not-
> so-tender cuts may be used. The old equipment that processed it into cube
> steak was called a cubing machine. Today it's more commonly known as a
> tenderizing machine. The meat is passed through the machine where dozens
> or hundreds of tiny knives pierce and cut through the meat at close
> intervals. Voila! Cube Steak! More recently I've noticed in the
> supermarket that pork steaks and even turkey meat are being sold as
> tenderized cuts, having made the same pass through the same type of
> equipment.
>
> Chicken fried steak, or country fried steak, is usually made from cube
> steak that has been coated in some fashion from as simple as a seasoned
> flour to dips into milk and egg, crumbs, etc.
>
> Many decades ago when the cubing machine wasn't as common, folks bought
> round steak and attacked it with a mallet that had deep raised diamond-
> shaped or linear patterns on it. It was pounded half to death before
> coating and cooking.

It certainly did... thanks, Wayne!

sf

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:26:57 GMT, S'mee [AKA Jani] wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Many decades ago when the cubing machine wasn't as common, folks bought
> > round steak and attacked it with a mallet that had deep raised diamond-
> > shaped or linear patterns on it. It was pounded half to death before
> > coating and cooking.

> I have an old wooden mallet like that -- it belonged to my
> grandmother...

I used to have a plumber's mallet... (suggested by Julia Child) for
such things.
sf

On 12 Jul 2005 19:14:24 -0700, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> The first time I made country fried steak many years ago a girlfriend
> gave me her recipe out of her Betty Crocker cookbook. I bought the
> round steak and told my b/f what we were having. While he was taking a
> shower I was pounding the hell out of that steak and believe me, it was
> tender when I got through with it. When he got out of the shower he
> wanted to know if I had completed the den conversion he had been
> working on. He said he could hear me pounding on that steak over the
> water running in the shower with the door closed.

LOL! Well, did he like it?
sf

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:00:56 GMT, ryan wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:50:34 -0700, sf wrote:
>

> > I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> > managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> > relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
> > serve it to me).
> >
> > The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
> > a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
> > this or is some other cut usually used?
> >
> > TIA

> where is penmart when u need him..

Whatta NEWBIE. If you're going to comment, at least be accurate. He
responds to TUBE steak, not cube steak.

Kevin_Sheehy wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> > managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> > relatives by marriage who love it.

> <snip>
>
> I think you're just trying to get the "I hate Sandra Lee" threads going
> again.

SF is not a troll; quite the contrary. In addition, her post concerned
what chicken fried steak is, not Sandra Lee. Your egregious
misrepresentation of her post makes me wonder about *your* motivation.

Mac

sf wrote:
> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
> serve it to me).
>
> The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
> a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
> this or is some other cut usually used?

Interesting. I've never eaten a chicken fried steak nor a cube steak.
I suspect that like most foods there are variations in the cut, cooking
method, flavoring, saucing, etc. To be pedantic for a moment, the
"Food Lover's Companion" says that a chicken-fried steak "refers to a
thin cut of steak that has been tenderized by pounding. It's dipped
into a milk-egg mixture and seasoned flour, then fried like chicken
until crisp and brown, and served with country gravy." Sounds good.

As long as I'm prowling around the Companion.....it states that cube
steak refers to a "flavorful cut of beef taken from the top or bottom
round and tenderized (or cubed) by running it through a butcher's
tenderizing machine once or twice." I haven't seen cube steak in a
market for years...must be a sign of age.

Chicken-fried steak sounds good. I think I'll try to prepare one soon
but I hope I do better with beef than I do with chicken.

Mac

ryan

OIs cube steak what you're supposed to use for
> this or is some other cut usually used?
>
> TIA

In some parts of the country, a cube steak may be called a minute steak.
The cube steak is popular because many people believe it is tender, but
often it is made up of tough, stingy, meat scraps that couldn't otherwise
be sold. What most people don't know is that a cube steak started out as a
tough round steak, a cut of meat that comes from the South bound part of a
North bound cow.

To make a cube steak, the butcher generally takes an ordinary, flavorful
but tough round steak cut from the top or bottom round ,and runs it
through a butcher's tenderizer once or twice, turning it almost into
hamburger meat. This machine is sometimes called a cube steak machine, it
was invented in 1941, and leaves cube-shaped imprints on the surface of
the meat, thus the name "cube steak".

source..not sure
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 13 Jul 2005 03:01:38a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sf wrote:
>> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
>> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
>> relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
>> serve it to me).
>>
>> The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
>> a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
>> this or is some other cut usually used?

> Interesting. I've never eaten a chicken fried steak nor a cube steak.
> I suspect that like most foods there are variations in the cut, cooking
> method, flavoring, saucing, etc. To be pedantic for a moment, the
> "Food Lover's Companion" says that a chicken-fried steak "refers to a
> thin cut of steak that has been tenderized by pounding. It's dipped
> into a milk-egg mixture and seasoned flour, then fried like chicken
> until crisp and brown, and served with country gravy." Sounds good.
>
> As long as I'm prowling around the Companion.....it states that cube
> steak refers to a "flavorful cut of beef taken from the top or bottom
> round and tenderized (or cubed) by running it through a butcher's
> tenderizing machine once or twice." I haven't seen cube steak in a
> market for years...must be a sign of age.
>
> Chicken-fried steak sounds good. I think I'll try to prepare one soon
> but I hope I do better with beef than I do with chicken.

The definitions are spot on, however, many people (and restaurants) make
chicken fried steak from cube steak instead of pounding the meat.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-2, 07/12/2005
Tested on: 7/13/2005 4:42:55 AM

ryan

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:33:02 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

classic dishes.

> Cube Steak
>
> 1/4 cup cooking oil
> 1 can sliced water chestnuts drained
> 1 1/2 pounds cube steak
> 1 jar homestyle beef gravy
> 1 bell pepper cut into strips
> chow mein noodles
> 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>
> Cut steak into 1/4 inch strips. Heat oil over medium high heat. Add
> steak, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and salt. Cook until meat is
> brown, stirring constantly. Drain and add water chestnuts and gravy.
> Cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve over
> rice and sprinkle with chow mein noodles.

Well that is about as classic as a Honda Civic.. better get your google
out and play with it again...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> When I'm going to make chicken fried steak I always pick out the round
> steak I want, then take it to someone in the meat department and ask them
> to run it through the tenderizer. There's never any extra charge.
> Perhaps the prepackaged cube steak is sold at a higher price. I don't
> know. I prefer picking out the piece of steak myself so I really know
> what I'm getting.

That's what I do if I don't feel like pounding stuff - I don't always
trust cube steak (or minute steak, around here) -- you can do the same
with nice pieces of boneless pork loin and have midwestern-type
"tenderloin" sandwiches (on a bun) - terrific stuff.

N.

Dimitri

"sf" > wrote in message

> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've never
> managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in spite of having
> relatives by marriage who love it (nope, I've never asked them to
> serve it to me).
>
> The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together - so it's
> a pretenderized WHAT?. Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for
> this or is some other cut usually used?
>
> TIA

Generally a cube steak is a piece of round steak (not London Broil) that is put
through a meat tenderizer right in the meat department. This machine makes
several "micro-cuts" per inch into the meat ( imagine a rotating blade with 1/4
inch knives). When breaded like fried chicken and fried like chicken it will
become "chicken fried steak".

Next time you're at the meat department - ask the butcher and he'll be happy to
show you the "tenderizer"

Dimitri

S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, "I-zheet M'drurz" > said:
> Kevin_Sheehy spaketh thusly:
> > sf wrote:

> >> I had an AHA moment while watching Semi-Homemade today. I've
> >> never managed to figure out what chicken fried steak was in
> >> spite of having relatives by marriage who love it.

> > <snip>
> >
> > I think you're just trying to get the "I hate Sandra Lee"
> > threads going again.

> I'm glad I wasn't the only one who smelled a rat here.

Nah, sf is no troll...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
tammym

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:55:17 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:
>
> > On 13 Jul 2005 03:17:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >When I'm going to make chicken fried steak I always pick out the round
> > >steak I want, then take it to someone in the meat department and ask

them
> > >to run it through the tenderizer.

> > <snip>
> >
> > You need a Volvo.
> >

> Only Tammy and I understand that one - and it's CHICKEN, not beef.
>
> LOLOL

I think the Volvo would work as well for beef as for chicken.

God, we have been around here a long time ....

TammyM
Sacramento, California

tammym

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> sf wrote:
> > [...]The cube steak looked like hamburger except it held together
> > - so it's a pretenderized WHAT?.

> Heya, sf-
>
> Thanks for bringing back my worst childhood food memory. My mom used
> to make "cube steak" regularly. An incredibly tough round cut was
> rendered 10% less tough by having been mechnically beaten until it
> looked like a meat waffle, then twice as tough by being badly
> overcooked, then disguised with a topping of fried onions. I always
> saved it for last, since (1) by definition, you couldn't eat anything
> after you finished the cube steak because it was impossible to finish
> the cube steak, and (2) chewing it worked great for pulling the stuck
> bits of corn out of one's teeth.
>
> >Is cube steak what you're supposed to use for this

> No. Cube steak is what you're not supposed to use for anything.
>
> Dan Masi

WOW! What a treat! Where ya been, stranger?!

TammyM
Sacramento, California

Curly Sue

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:23:20 -0700, "tammym" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:55:17 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:
>>
>> > On 13 Jul 2005 03:17:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright

>them
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > You need a Volvo.
>> >

>> Only Tammy and I understand that one - and it's CHICKEN, not beef.
>>
>> LOLOL

>I think the Volvo would work as well for beef as for chicken.
>
>God, we have been around here a long time ....

I know, tempus fugit!

I was seriously thinking about giving it a try with my Chevy...

Sue(tm)
I-zheet M'drurz

S'mee [AKA Jani] spaketh thusly:
> One time on Usenet, "I-zheet M'drurz":
>> Kevin_Sheehy spaketh thusly:

>> > I think you're just trying to get the "I hate Sandra Lee"
>> > threads going again.

>> I'm glad I wasn't the only one who smelled a rat here.

> Nah, sf is no troll...

One needn't be a "troll" to stir an occasional pot of stink.

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
itsjoannotjoann

~patches~ wrote:

> Our butcher shop has a machine that they put the cube steak though to
> delicate (?) it. It ends up with lots of little holes. I haven't
> bought any since I was first married and knew diddly squat about
> cooking. I only bought it once and even DH hated it. Memories! I
> think you're supposed to flash fry it or sauce it or anything else you
> can do to make it partially edible.
> >

> > No. Cube steak is what you're not supposed to use for anything.

> Shoe leather comes to mind, or perhaps an edible frisbee, or a tire
> patch in an emergency, instant roof leak repair, but edible, NO.

It does have to be properly seasoned to be edible and tasty.
Occasionally, you do get one that is tough, but for the most part, they
are very tender once they have been properly prepared.

Minute/cube steak? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 36 22-08-2012 01:18 AM
Cube Steak Dinner Mom2SamTiny[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-06-2007 02:27 PM
Cube Steak Casserole Tim Recipes 0 01-05-2005 07:58 AM
Cube Steak With Mushroom Sauce Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 09-04-2004 02:37 PM