jay

Default Fresh Homegrown Tomato Tart

Fresh Homegrown Tomato Tart

Make or buy basic pie crust
Bake 400 until crust is slightly brown (about 15 minutes)
Top with shredded mozzarella cheese
Cover with fresh sliced tomatoes
Salt to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Bake 400 until crust browns and cheese melts (about 10 minutes)
Top with fresh basil
Slice like a pizza

jay

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:02:36 +0000, jay wrote:

> Fresh Homegrown Tomato Tart
>
> Make or buy basic pie crust
> Bake 400 until crust is slightly brown (about 15 minutes)
> Top with shredded mozzarella cheese
> Cover with fresh sliced tomatoes
> Salt to taste
> Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
> Bake 400 until crust browns and cheese melts (about 10 minutes)
> Top with fresh basil
> Slice like a pizza

Drizzle with olive oil after the tomatoes are added
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Sheryl Rosen wrote on 12 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> jay at wrote on 7/11/05 7:53 PM:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:02:36 +0000, jay wrote:
> >
> >> Fresh Homegrown Tomato Tart
> >>
> >> Make or buy basic pie crust
> >> Bake 400 until crust is slightly brown (about 15 minutes)
> >> Top with shredded mozzarella cheese
> >> Cover with fresh sliced tomatoes
> >> Salt to taste
> >> Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
> >> Bake 400 until crust browns and cheese melts (about 10 minutes)
> >> Top with fresh basil
> >> Slice like a pizza

> > Drizzle with olive oil after the tomatoes are added

> Can this be served room temp?
> This might be a good thing to bring to the pot luck...

This is very nice at room temp.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Alan's Tomato Pie

none

2 deep-dish pie crusts (10 inch)
black pepper to taste; see note2
kosher salt to taste
2 1/2-3 lbs 3 pounds medium-sized ripe slicing; tomatoes, see note1
1 large bunch of fresh basil
4 ounces (2 cups) medium-sharp or sharp cheddar; cheese grated
2/3 cup homemade or best-quality mayonnaise
1/2 juice of 1/2 lemon
2-3 tbsp heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350F

Fit one of the crusts to a pie pan. Sprinkle with pepper (well) SEE
NOTE2
and prick the pastry all over with a fork.

Place a layer of tomatoes in the pie pan, sprinkle with a little
salt.pepper and add a sparse layer of fresh basil leaves;

repeat for a second, third, and fourth layer.

Top with the grated cheese.

Thin the mayonnaise with the juice of 1/2 lemon and spread it over the
surface.

Quickly add the second pie crust, fit it over the pie and seal the
edges by pinching them together. Cut several slits in the dough to
allow steam to escape and brush the surface with the heavy cream.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until the pie is hot all the way through and
the crust is golden, about 25 - 30 minutes.

Let rest for 15 minutes before serving. Cut in wedges and garnish each
slice with a sprig of fresh basil.

NOTE1: Peel and seed the tomatoes, and cut into thickish silces. Allow
to drain really well on papper towels a while to remove excess
water/juice.

(I usually just slice, de-seed and drain the tomatoes.) I can't
stress enough Drain well....

NOTE2: Try a thin layer of dejon mustard instead of the pepper.

It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:

<snip recipes, yum!>

> NOTE1: Peel and seed the tomatoes, and cut into thickish silces. Allow
> to drain really well on papper towels a while to remove excess
> water/juice.
>
> (I usually just slice, de-seed and drain the tomatoes.) I can't
> stress enough Drain well....
>
> NOTE2: Try a thin layer of dejon mustard instead of the pepper.

Okay, now I have to weigh in, though my contribution is a bit
different as it has no tomatoes. I think they'd be a nice addition
though:

Tex Mex Appetizer Tart (Pillsbury)

1 8-inch pie crust
1-1/2 C. shredded Colby-Montery Jack cheese blend
1/2½ C. roasted red bell peppers (from 7.5 oz. jar), drained, chopped
1/2 C. mayonnaise
1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chiles
1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Salsa

Heat oven to 375°. Place pie crust on ungreased cookie sheet. In
medium bowl, combine cheese, peppers, chiles, and mayo; mix well.
Spread over crust to within 1 inch of edges. Fold crust edges over
filling to form 1 inch border, flute. Bake for 20 to 35 minutes or
until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with cilantro. Let stand 10
minutes, cut into wedges and serve warm, with salsa if desired.

I've served this at room temp and we had no leftovers...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~

jay

> Can this be served room temp?
> This might be a good thing to bring to the pot luck...

Yes, it is very good at room temp or cold. You will not believe how good
it is and it is very quick and easy to make.