FoodBanter.com

-   -   Celigene Mozzarella Cheese - is it supposed to taste sour? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/64740-celigene-mozzarella-cheese-supposed.html)

Jerome Whelan 08-07-2005 01:47 AM

Celigene Mozzarella Cheese - is it supposed to taste sour?

I was in my neighborhood Trader Joe's store this
afternoon and picked up a refrigerated plastic
container of "Marinated Celigene Mozzarella
Cheese" packed in oil with herbs.

I expected mild, pleasant, slightly crumbly
mozzarella cheese balls, but I found them sharp,
sour, and unpleasant in taste. Is this normal for
a "Celigene Mozzarella" and my palate needs more
education, or does this cheese have a problem?

Thanks for any education you might provide.

I have posted a 456 kilobyte photo of the
container label at URL
http://mysite.verizon.net/~whelanjh/CheeseLabel.jpg

pavane 08-07-2005 02:36 AM

"Jerome Whelan" > wrote in message
> I was in my neighborhood Trader Joe's store this
> afternoon and picked up a refrigerated plastic
> container of "Marinated Celigene Mozzarella
> Cheese" packed in oil with herbs.
>
> I expected mild, pleasant, slightly crumbly
> mozzarella cheese balls, but I found them sharp,
> sour, and unpleasant in taste. Is this normal for
> a "Celigene Mozzarella" and my palate needs more
> education, or does this cheese have a problem?
>
> Thanks for any education you might provide.

It was mishandled, probably subjected to heat somewhere
in its life. Mozz should be very clean, fresh and nice; no
trace of sourness. Either take it back to TJ or tell them
the next time you are there; they should give you a fresh
package to make up for it and if possible pull the old batch.

pavane