Robert Sparkman

Default Gritted Cornbread recipe?

Hello All,

Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?

thanks.

Robert

jmcquown

Robert Sparkman wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
>
> thanks.
>
> Robert

Could you describe it better than that? No idea what "gritted" cornbread
is.

Jill

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

> Robert Sparkman wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?

> Could you describe it better than that? No idea what "gritted" cornbread
> is.

All I could think of is cornbread made with part cornmeal and part grits?

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 06 Jul 2005 07:32:43p, Robert Sparkman wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
>
> thanks.
>
> Robert

You really need stone ground cornmeal for the texture you want.

2 cups stone ground cornmeal, either yellow or white
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, well beaten
1-3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup bacon drippings or melted Crisco

Preheat oven to 425°F. Place bacon drippings in 9-inch cast iron skillet
or heavy baking pan. Place in oven as it preheats. Drippings should be
almost smoking hot when ready. Do not allow to cool.

Combine cornmeal, salt, and baking soda in large mixing bowl.

With a whisk or fork, beat eggs and buttermilk into dry mixture. (Start
with 1-1/2 cups of the buttermilk. Batter should be thick, but pourable.
Add additional butter as necessary.)

Carefully pour hot drippings into batter while continuing to beat.

Pour batter into skillet. It should sizzle as it hits the pan.

Bake in upper third of oven for 30-35 minutes, or until firm to touch and
well browned.

Turn bread out upside down on large plate. Slide back into pan top side
down, return to oven, and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Turn bread out right side up on plate, cut into wedges, and serve very hot.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/6/2005 8:41:38 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 06 Jul 2005 08:20:34p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Robert Sparkman wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> Robert

> Could you describe it better than that? No idea what "gritted" cornbread
> is.
>
> Jill

I think he means the way I make it, Jill. No flour.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/6/2005 8:42:23 PM

JeanineAlyse

Robert Sparkman wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
>
> thanks.
>
> Robert

Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the cob
that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute. Grate the
corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes. Try using a
six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for grating into a
boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting the batter to bake.

....Picky ~JA~

jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> "jmcquown" > said:
>
>> Robert Sparkman wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?

>> Could you describe it better than that? No idea what "gritted"
>> cornbread is.

> All I could think of is cornbread made with part cornmeal and part
> grits?
>
> Carol

That sounds awful! Unless the grits were already cooked, then it might be
okay... (doubtful)

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 06 Jul 2005 08:48:11p, JeanineAlyse wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Robert Sparkman wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> Robert

> Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
> mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the cob
> that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute. Grate the
> corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes. Try using a
> six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for grating into a
> boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting the batter to bake.
>
> ...Picky ~JA~

Guess that's another way, and it sounds good. However, we always called it
gritted cornbread when it contained stone ground cornmeal and no flour.
The stone ground meal provides the grittiness.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/6/2005 8:52:18 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 06 Jul 2005 08:54:33p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Damsel wrote:

>>> Could you describe it better than that? No idea what "gritted"
>>> cornbread is.

>> All I could think of is cornbread made with part cornmeal and part
>> grits?
>>
>> Carol

> That sounds awful! Unless the grits were already cooked, then it might
> be okay... (doubtful)
>
> Jill

Actually, Jill, it's pretty good. I was short on cornmeal one day and
needed a full pan of cornbread. I cooked enough stone ground grits to
equal 1 cup cooked. Mixed that with 1 cup of stone ground cornmeal and my
usual ingredients. It had a great texture and was incredibly moist. Happy
accident. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/6/2005 9:08:23 PM

JeanineAlyse

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 06 Jul 2005 08:48:11p, JeanineAlyse wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Robert Sparkman wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
> >>
> >> thanks.
> >>
> >> Robert

> > Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
> > mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the cob
> > that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute. Grate the
> > corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes. Try using a
> > six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for grating into a
> > boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting the batter to bake.
> >
> > ...Picky ~JA~

> Guess that's another way, and it sounds good. However, we always called it
> gritted cornbread when it contained stone ground cornmeal and no flour.
> The stone ground meal provides the grittiness.

Wayne, I've made it the way you describe, as well as with a mix of
flour and cornmeal. Both are quite good, though I'm not real fond of
the dryer corn-gritty one, though the off the cobs one can become too
chewy and also too dry if the corn becomes too old before using.

....Picky

Sheldon

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> Robert Sparkman wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > Robert

> Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
> mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the cob
> that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute. Grate the
> corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes. Try using a
> six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for grating into a
> boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting the batter to bake.

Total nonsense.

Actually where the OP says "gritted" he means coarser mealed
cornbread.... simply substitute part of the fine ground cornmeal in
your favorite recipe with medium ground cornmeal (I do 1/2 n' 1/2),
which will result in a grittier-chewier product... I much prefer gritty
cornbread/corn muffins too, in fact I detest the cakey/wussy kind like
you typically find in the US south.

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 05:38:45p, JeanineAlyse wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
>> > mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the
>> > cob that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute.
>> > Grate the corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes.
>> > Try using a six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for
>> > grating into a boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting
>> > the batter to bake.
>> >
>> > ...Picky ~JA~

>> Guess that's another way, and it sounds good. However, we always
>> called it gritted cornbread when it contained stone ground cornmeal and
>> no flour. The stone ground meal provides the grittiness.

> Wayne, I've made it the way you describe, as well as with a mix of
> flour and cornmeal. Both are quite good, though I'm not real fond of
> the dryer corn-gritty one, though the off the cobs one can become too
> chewy and also too dry if the corn becomes too old before using.
>
> ...Picky

I think they're all good at some point, and I enjoy them. I was used to
the gritty one as my family has always made it that way, although it never
really seemed dry to me. When I use corn kernals, if they seem a litle
tough I whirl them briefly in the blender with the buttermilk. Seems to
help. The only variety I really don't like is one including flour.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 6:12:14 PM

jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> JeanineAlyse wrote:
>> Robert Sparkman wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a recipe for gritted cornbread?
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>>
>>> Robert

>> Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
>> mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the
>> cob that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute.
>> Grate the corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes.
>> Try using a six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for
>> grating into a boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting
>> the batter to bake.

> Total nonsense.
>
> Actually where the OP says "gritted" he means coarser mealed
> cornbread.... simply substitute part of the fine ground cornmeal in
> your favorite recipe with medium ground cornmeal (I do 1/2 n' 1/2),
> which will result in a grittier-chewier product... I much prefer
> gritty cornbread/corn muffins too, in fact I detest the cakey/wussy
> kind like you typically find in the US south.
>
> Sheldon

Oh dear. You're wrong about the cakey/wussy kind in the U.S. South. In
fact, it's much more likely you'll find cakey/wussy cornbread with way too
much sugar up in your neck of the woods.

Jill

Jean B.

JeanineAlyse wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
>>>mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the cob
>>>that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute. Grate the
>>>corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes. Try using a
>>>six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for grating into a
>>>boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting the batter to bake.
>>>
>>>...Picky ~JA~

>>Guess that's another way, and it sounds good. However, we always called it
>>gritted cornbread when it contained stone ground cornmeal and no flour.
>>The stone ground meal provides the grittiness.

> Wayne, I've made it the way you describe, as well as with a mix of
> flour and cornmeal. Both are quite good, though I'm not real fond of
> the dryer corn-gritty one, though the off the cobs one can become too
> chewy and also too dry if the corn becomes too old before using.
>
> ...Picky

You can have the best of all worlds by substituting masa harina for the
flour. (IMHO, anyway)

--
Jean B.
Jean B.

Sheldon wrote:

> Actually where the OP says "gritted" he means coarser mealed
> cornbread.... simply substitute part of the fine ground cornmeal in
> your favorite recipe with medium ground cornmeal (I do 1/2 n' 1/2),
> which will result in a grittier-chewier product... I much prefer gritty
> cornbread/corn muffins too, in fact I detest the cakey/wussy kind like
> you typically find in the US south.
>
> Sheldon

I agree. That cake-like sweet cornbread is just awful! I want a
cornbread with texture and a nice corn flavor.

--
Jean B.