FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cake decorating tips (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/6454-cake-decorating-tips.html)

Nic 09-05-2004 01:12 PM

Cake decorating tips

What is the simplest way to ice and decorate a cake that makes it look as
good as bought in a shop ?

I have made the cake from scratch, and its turned out quiet good.
Now I need to ice it.
So do you have a fail proof way of icing the cake and making it look good ?
Or do you know of something else that I can use as icing to mould onto or
around a cake ?
What are some do's and don't with icing and decorating cakes ?

TIA
Nic

Mr. Wizard 09-05-2004 01:58 PM

Cake decorating tips

u...

?
> Or do you know of something else that I can use as icing to mould onto or
> around a cake ?
> What are some do's and don't with icing and decorating cakes ?
>
> TIA
> Nic

I make a lot of icing made between medium to thin
consistency to do this with.
For this method you need a revolving cake stand
so you can turn the cake easily. Also have something
to rest the arm that you hold the bag with on.
I use a decorating bag with a 3/8" straight nozzle.
As the cake spins, squirt the icing on in concentric circles
starting from the center.
Then do the sides from the bottom up.
If done right you have coils of icing that are very dramatic.
If you mess up use a warm spatula to smooth the icing.

Vox Humana 09-05-2004 04:20 PM

Cake decorating tips

"Nic" > wrote in message
u...
> What is the simplest way to ice and decorate a cake that makes it look as
> good as bought in a shop ?
>
> I have made the cake from scratch, and its turned out quiet good.
> Now I need to ice it.
> So do you have a fail proof way of icing the cake and making it look good

?
> Or do you know of something else that I can use as icing to mould onto or
> around a cake ?
> What are some do's and don't with icing and decorating cakes ?

I think it is a matter of having the right icing, the right tools, and a
practiced technique. I would either recommend that you take a beginner's
class on cake decorating or pick up a video on the subject. Cake decorating
stores often have them for rent.

DJS0302 09-05-2004 11:13 PM

Cake decorating tips

>What is the simplest way to ice and decorate a cake that makes it look as
>good as bought in a shop ?
>
>I have made the cake from scratch, and its turned out quiet good.
>Now I need to ice it.
>So do you have a fail proof way of icing the cake and making it look good ?
>Or do you know of something else that I can use as icing to mould onto or
>around a cake ?
>What are some do's and don't with icing and decorating cakes ?
>
>TIA
>Nic

Well it helps if you have the right tools. A metal cake spatula is the best
tool for spreading icing on a cake and a small offset spatula helps when you're
trying to smooth out the top. If you want the top of the cake to be perfectly
smooth then dip your spatula in hot water before each time you run it across
the top of your cake. Both the heat from the water and the water itself will
soften the icing so it will smooth out more easily. Just don't get your cake
too wet.