sf

Default for all you beet lovers

BEET AND ORANGE SALAD

* 1 16-ounce can sliced beets
* 1 medium orange
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 3 tablespoons each orange juice and cider vinegar
* Salt and white pepper to taste

Drain beets and set aside. Peel and slice orange into thin rounds.
Alternate beet and orange slices on a platter. Spread onion slices on
top. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serves 4.

http://www.samcooks.com/flavor/Scand...morgasbord.htm
Sheldon

sf wrote:
> BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
>
> * 1 16-ounce can sliced beets
> * 1 medium orange
> * 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions
> * 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
> * 3 tablespoons each orange juice and cider vinegar
> * Salt and white pepper to taste
>
> Drain beets and set aside. Peel and slice orange into thin rounds.
> Alternate beet and orange slices on a platter. Spread onion slices on
> top. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over.
>
> Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serves 4.
>
> http://www.samcooks.com/flavor/Scand...morgasbord.htm

One of my favs! I use canned manderin segments and add a couple Tbs of
honey too. And I drink the beet juice... hey, I flush before anyone
peeks. hehe

Sheldon

JeanineAlyse

Sheldon wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > BEET AND ORANGE SALAD (recipe snipped)

> One of my favs! I use canned manderin segments and add a couple Tbs of
> honey too. And I drink the beet juice... hey, I flush before anyone
> peeks. hehe

Sheldon, you certainly caused a giggle here with that flusing tell. I
so remember being horrified as just a tot while my mother laughed into
tears when that happened to me. With now being the family matriarch, I
remain the only one in my family loving beets.

....Picky ~JA~

-L.

sf wrote:
> BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
>
> * 1 16-ounce can sliced beets

Canned beets? CANNED BEETS?!? Sacrilege!

-L.

MOMPEAGRAM

Yum!

"sf" > wrote in message
> BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
>
> * 1 16-ounce can sliced beets
> * 1 medium orange
> * 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions
> * 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
> * 3 tablespoons each orange juice and cider vinegar
> * Salt and white pepper to taste
>
> Drain beets and set aside. Peel and slice orange into thin rounds.
> Alternate beet and orange slices on a platter. Spread onion slices on
> top. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over.
>
> Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serves 4.
>
> http://www.samcooks.com/flavor/Scand...morgasbord.htm

MOMPEAGRAM

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> sf wrote:
>> BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
>>
>> * 1 16-ounce can sliced beets

> Canned beets? CANNED BEETS?!? Sacrilege!
>
> -L.

Nonsense! I have used both. Canned and fresh. To be honest, I find no
real difference. I buy no-name canned whole beets. They are tiny and sweet
and delicious and sure save me a lot of time!

READYTORV
2002 FOREST RIVER SUNSEEKER LE
JIM & HELEN
DAISY - CHIHUAHUA

Sheldon

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> > > BEET AND ORANGE SALAD (recipe snipped)

> > One of my favs! I use canned manderin segments and add a couple Tbs of
> > honey too. And I drink the beet juice... hey, I flush before anyone
> > peeks. hehe

> Sheldon, you certainly caused a giggle here with that flushing tell. I
> so remember being horrified as just a tot while my mother laughed into
> tears when that happened to me. With now being the family matriarch, I
> remain the only one in my family loving beets.

There's probably been more comedy related to food and bodily functions
than any other topics, with beets near the top of the food list...
guess beets can't compete with cukes... beets may not be as popular say
as potatoes but I seriously doubt there are any potato jokes (anyone
has any good ones feel free). Hey, did yoose hear about potato head...

Canned beets don't even come close to fresh but fresh are not usually
readily available, except from farm stands, but mine are ready then
too... and I don't consider typical stupidmarket produce section beets
fresh, they are generally old and limp... unless you've eaten freshly
dug beets you can't possibly know how a beet is supposed to taste
(which is probably why so many have an aversion - after 24 hours they
don't taste the same), that goes for potatoes as well. The potatoes at
the stupidmarket are old storage spuds, they taste nothing like freshly
dug (which again is why folks pile so much crap on, butter, sour cream,
cheese, salad dressings, all of the above... and of course mostly
fried/greezy - fast food fried have no taste of potato whatsoever, and
I don't think I've ever seen anyone eat a nude unadorned potato, but I
do when they're freshly dug, in fact I'll usually eat the small ones
raw, skin and all -- in fact freshly dug new potatoes sliced paper thin
are lovely layered with sliced freshly picked beesteak tomato --
perhaps a wee bit of salt, that's it). Freshly dug potatoes and beets
are truly earthy... I'm positive that very few posting here have ever
tasted freshly dug root vegetables of any type, not even a carrot (a
whole nother venue, all packaged carrots are like eating plywood). But
of all the canned vegetables canned beets are probably as close to
fresh as is possible. Unfortunately beets do not freeze well and home
canned beets are no different from commercially canned, which is why I
don't grow more beets than I can consume during growing season. I do
plant a few extras to trade with my neighbor who grows potatoes, so for
as long as the growing season permits we both have freshly dug beets
and freshly dug spuds. I get all the beets because his family won't
eat the tops and because I introduced him to roasted beets and don't
mind roasting his portion too... only way I do freshly dug beets is
roasted, but they can still be sliced up and used in any recipe calling
for canned, and I do. My beets are about half grown, I can hardly
wait... I'm almost tempted to pluck some young tender leaves for a
salad but they need all their leaves to collect energy to mature.
Anyway I have 20 heads of romaine all already as large as a five gallon
bucket, so I've been picking 4-5 outer leaves from each everyday, can
hardly eat it all... but it's so good.

My garden is doing wonderful this year, the weather has been perfect,
Mother Nature has been very kind... and all the hard work has been
worth it. How many of you can sit out on their deck munching freshly
picked romain salad while gazing at newly born fawns romping and
nursing in a meadow ablaze with myriad wildflowers... anyone thinks I
don't have a life would be blessed to have one a tenth as good as
mine... uh oh... there go a family of albino skunks scampering across
my ten acres of manicured lawn heading out to my pond at the edge of my
Norway spruce pine forest. I ain't bull shitting, I can prove it...
yoose have no idea. Only improvement would be if does had udders... no
problem, the gal down the road runs a dairy farm... and Wendy has
udders. hehe

Sheldon (resting for the 4th and exercising my rights... and anyone
without a sense of humour will never have a life)

Sheldon

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >

> > sf wrote:
> >> BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
> >>
> >> * 1 16-ounce can sliced beets

> > Canned beets? CANNED BEETS?!? Sacrilege!
> >
> > -L.
> >

> Nonsense! I have used both. Canned and fresh. To be honest, I find no
> real difference. I buy no-name canned whole beets. They are tiny and sweet
> and delicious and sure save me a lot of time!

Yup, canned beets are every bit as good as stupidmarket produce section
beets, and may even be better/beetier.. 'cause canned beets are
processed from freshly harvested but the stupidmarket variety are
old,limp, and withered. But to truly know beets yoose gotta try em
freshly dug from the garden, roasted within the hour, while still warm
from the sun drenched earth. When I put out my freshly dug roasted
beets alongside my freshly picked roasted corn folks who've never
tolerated the same room with a beet and love corn transform into beet
lovers and forego the corn until the beets are gone. It's no wonder
the Ausies have beet root on burgers, a slab of freshly dug roasted
beet on a home ground burger grilled to rare perfection, perhaps a
couple fresh lettuce leaves, don't even need ketchup.

Sheldon

sf

On 3 Jul 2005 22:31:54 -0700, -L. wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
> >
> > * 1 16-ounce can sliced beets

> Canned beets? CANNED BEETS?!? Sacrilege!

No law says you have to follow the recipe exactly. Boil up some
beets.... and don't forget to "skin" them.

Sheldon

sf wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2005 22:31:54 -0700, -L. wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:
> > > BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
> > >
> > > * 1 16-ounce can sliced beets

> > Canned beets? CANNED BEETS?!? Sacrilege!
> >

> No law says you have to follow the recipe exactly. Boil up some
> beets.... and don't forget to "skin" them.

Boiled beets are awfull, roast them, and roasted beets are much easier
to skin.

Sheldon

Goomba38

Sheldon wrote:

> Yup, canned beets are every bit as good as stupidmarket produce section
> beets, and may even be better/beetier.. 'cause canned beets are
> processed from freshly harvested but the stupidmarket variety are
> old,limp, and withered.
> Sheldon

I recently cooked (my very first time) fresh beets. I wanted to know how
they compared to the canned/jarred beets I was familiar with and love.
Well, not a lot of difference in taste but the time required to cook
them was phenomenal. It seemed to take forever!! I kid you not, they
simmered for near on 2 hours before they could be considered cooked
enough to eat.
How long do you roast them for??
Gooomba
Dee Randall

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Yup, canned beets are every bit as good as stupidmarket produce section
>> beets, and may even be better/beetier.. 'cause canned beets are
>> processed from freshly harvested but the stupidmarket variety are
>> old,limp, and withered. Sheldon
>>

> I recently cooked (my very first time) fresh beets. I wanted to know how
> they compared to the canned/jarred beets I was familiar with and love.
> Well, not a lot of difference in taste but the time required to cook them
> was phenomenal. It seemed to take forever!! I kid you not, they simmered
> for near on 2 hours before they could be considered cooked enough to eat.
> How long do you roast them for??
> Gooomba

http://www.cwinters.com/recipes/roasted_beets.html

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Roasted Beets
6 medium beets, cleaned with 1-inch stem remaining
2 large shallots, peeled
2 sprigs rosemary
2 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Place into a foil pouch
and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.**I've boiled beets and found the color
all drained out into the water; I can't remember tho what trick is to keep
the color in the beet - perhaps vinegar, but don't take my word for it.Beets
are wonderful roasted. Dee Dee

Goomba38

Dee Randall wrote:

> Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
>
> Roasted Beets
> 6 medium beets, cleaned with 1-inch stem remaining
> 2 large shallots, peeled
> 2 sprigs rosemary
> 2 teaspoons olive oil
>
> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
>
> In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Place into a foil pouch
> and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.**I've boiled beets and found the color
> all drained out into the water; I can't remember tho what trick is to keep
> the color in the beet - perhaps vinegar, but don't take my word for it.Beets
> are wonderful roasted. Dee Dee

Are you cutting these beets up or roasting them whole? Thanks for the
recipe, by the way!
Goomba
Dee Randall

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
>>
>> Roasted Beets
>> 6 medium beets, cleaned with 1-inch stem remaining
>> 2 large shallots, peeled
>> 2 sprigs rosemary
>> 2 teaspoons olive oil
>>
>> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
>>
>> In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Place into a foil pouch
>> and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.**I've boiled beets and found the
>> color all drained out into the water; I can't remember tho what trick is
>> to keep the color in the beet - perhaps vinegar, but don't take my word
>> for it.Beets are wonderful roasted. Dee Dee

> Are you cutting these beets up or roasting them whole? Thanks for the
> recipe, by the way!
> Goomba

I've always roasted mine whole. However, I used larger ones the first time.
I recommend using medium-sized, if one can figure that out what medium sized
is; I guess it's what part of the US you are living in and in what month
you are buying them.
Dee Dee
P.S. I can't see why cutting them up wouldn't work; for some reason I've
not done this.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 04 Jul 2005 04:09:20p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>>> Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
>>>
>>> Roasted Beets
>>> 6 medium beets, cleaned with 1-inch stem remaining
>>> 2 large shallots, peeled
>>> 2 sprigs rosemary
>>> 2 teaspoons olive oil
>>>
>>> Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
>>>
>>> In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients. Place into a foil pouch
>>> and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.**I've boiled beets and found the
>>> color all drained out into the water; I can't remember tho what trick
>>> is to keep the color in the beet - perhaps vinegar, but don't take my
>>> word for it.Beets are wonderful roasted. Dee Dee

>> Are you cutting these beets up or roasting them whole? Thanks for the
>> recipe, by the way!
>> Goomba

> I've always roasted mine whole. However, I used larger ones the first
> time. I recommend using medium-sized, if one can figure that out what
> medium sized is; I guess it's what part of the US you are living in
> and in what month you are buying them.
> Dee Dee
> P.S. I can't see why cutting them up wouldn't work; for some reason
> I've not done this.

I also roast my beets, regardless of what their ultimate use is. I never
peel them or remove the root end, and I leave about 2 inches of stem
intact. This keeps the color from bleeding and provides the most intense
flavor. After they're done, I trim both ends and slip off the skins.

Beets vary in size from season to season and from crop to crop. Regardless
of size, I would never think of cutting them.

I use a large covered Pyrex casserole, arrange the beets in a single layer,
and add 3-4 tablespoons of water.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/4/2005 4:17:46 PM

sf

On 4 Jul 2005 12:43:51 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > >

> > No law says you have to follow the recipe exactly. Boil up some
> > beets.... and don't forget to "skin" them.

> Boiled beets are awfull, roast them, and roasted beets are much easier
> to skin.

If you roast the beets, then please use fresh oranges too.

Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > Canned beets? CANNED BEETS?!? Sacrilege!
> > >

> > No law says you have to follow the recipe exactly. Boil up some
> > beets.... and don't forget to "skin" them.

> Boiled beets are awfull, roast them, and roasted beets are much easier
> to skin.
>
> Sheldon

I pressure cook them.....
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Julian Vrieslander

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> But to truly know beets yoose gotta try em
> freshly dug from the garden, roasted within the hour, while still warm
> from the sun drenched earth.

I've never tried beets right out of the garden. But I can testify that
there's something special about freshly picked corn-on-the-cob. The
quicker you can get it from stalk to pot, the better it tastes.

There's a common thread here. Both corn and beets are used as crops for
producing sugar. Maybe the sugars begin to change soon after the corn
or beet is picked. But it's not obvious to me why this happens. Are
there any food chemists here who can explain it?

--
Julian Vrieslander
sf

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:08:45 GMT, Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > But to truly know beets yoose gotta try em
> > freshly dug from the garden, roasted within the hour, while still warm
> > from the sun drenched earth.

> I've never tried beets right out of the garden. But I can testify that
> there's something special about freshly picked corn-on-the-cob. The
> quicker you can get it from stalk to pot, the better it tastes.
>
> There's a common thread here. Both corn and beets are used as crops for
> producing sugar. Maybe the sugars begin to change soon after the corn
> or beet is picked. But it's not obvious to me why this happens. Are
> there any food chemists here who can explain it?

The only thing I can tell you is sugar changes into starch... other
than that, I know nothing too.