Default Hamburger Patties-thickness

As I mentioned in earlier threads, we're having about 50 people on
July 2nd, weather permitting. The store that we're getting the ground
sirloin from makes patties that are 1/4. They make good hamburgers
but they seem to get lost in the roll.

Does size really matter? What is your experience on hamburger size.
Unforunately, they only do 1/4 pound patties in this store that has
chooped sirloin for 2.99 a pound. I'd prefer 1/3 of a pound but there
is so much to do, we don't want to have to make 50 hamburger patties
ourselves. We're also serving hot dogs, sliced shell steak and
chicken with that Cattleman's Sauce that they sell in Costco, so there
will be plenty of food.

Alan
Sheldon

> As I mentioned in earlier threads, we're having about 50 people on
> July 2nd, weather permitting. The store that we're getting the ground
> sirloin from makes patties that are 1/4. They make good hamburgers
> but they seem to get lost in the roll.
>
> Does size really matter? What is your experience on hamburger size.
> Unforunately, they only do 1/4 pound patties in this store that has
> chooped sirloin for 2.99 a pound. I'd prefer 1/3 of a pound but there
> is so much to do, we don't want to have to make 50 hamburger patties
> ourselves.

I've experimented extensively and have discovered that 7 ounce burgers
made with 85% lean meat are perfect to my taste... I serve burgers on
hard kiaser rolls and they fit perfectly.

I grind my own meat and can tell you that to grind and prepare 50
burgers start to finish including weighing each 7 ounce portion and
clean up shouldn't require much more than one hour... and I make my own
wax paper squares too. I normally prepare and freeze 20 at a shot and
that takes me about a half hour but I'm sure I could easily speed that
up to 20 minutes... only need about ten seconds to form a burger.
Naturally the more you prepare they less time per burger... prep and
clean up remain constant.

Chopped sirloin (generic) at $3/lb is no bargain. I buy top round
roasts at $2/lb... and when I grind meat myself I know what/who is in
it.

Sheldon

zuuum

> wrote in message
> As I mentioned in earlier threads, we're having about 50 people on
> July 2nd, weather permitting. The store that we're getting the ground
> sirloin from makes patties that are 1/4. They make good hamburgers
> but they seem to get lost in the roll.
>
> Does size really matter? What is your experience on hamburger size.
> Unforunately, they only do 1/4 pound patties in this store that has
> chooped sirloin for 2.99 a pound. I'd prefer 1/3 of a pound but there
> is so much to do, we don't want to have to make 50 hamburger patties
> ourselves. We're also serving hot dogs, sliced shell steak and
> chicken with that Cattleman's Sauce that they sell in Costco, so there
> will be plenty of food.

50 patties is not a huge task. A pair of desert plates and parchment paper,
you'll be finished in no time. Squashing weighed ground beef between two
plates covered with parchment squres can make for pretty swift and
consistent patty production. May as well make extras and freeze for later.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 30 Jun 2005 05:49:07p, A.C. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> wrote:
>
>> As I mentioned in earlier threads, we're having about 50 people on
>> July 2nd, weather permitting. The store that we're getting the ground
>> sirloin from makes patties that are 1/4. They make good hamburgers
>> but they seem to get lost in the roll.
>>
>> Does size really matter? What is your experience on hamburger size.
>> Unforunately, they only do 1/4 pound patties in this store that has
>> chooped sirloin for 2.99 a pound. I'd prefer 1/3 of a pound but there
>> is so much to do, we don't want to have to make 50 hamburger patties
>> ourselves. We're also serving hot dogs, sliced shell steak and
>> chicken with that Cattleman's Sauce that they sell in Costco, so there
>> will be plenty of food.

> i've found that a 1/4 pattie is plenty if you plan on loading it with
> the usuals. tomato, onion, cheese, ketchup mustard and or mayo (or slaw,
> chilli and mustard for some of us weird folk) just choose a bun that is
> slightly smaller than the pattie size and don't over cook the burgers.
> they should meet in the middle.

I don't like burgers overly thick. 5-6 oz. of 80/20. By the time they're
cooked, they're the right size for the bun.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-3, 06/30/2005
Tested on: 6/30/2005 6:02:40 PM

Bob

Sheldon wrote:

> I've experimented extensively and have discovered that 7 ounce burgers
> made with 85% lean meat are perfect to my taste... I serve burgers on
> hard kiaser rolls and they fit perfectly.
>
> I grind my own meat and can tell you that to grind and prepare 50
> burgers start to finish including weighing each 7 ounce portion and
> clean up shouldn't require much more than one hour... and I make my own
> wax paper squares too.

How on Earth have you managed to avoid marrying Martha Stewart? :-)

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 30 Jun 2005 06:40:11p, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> I've experimented extensively and have discovered that 7 ounce burgers
>> made with 85% lean meat are perfect to my taste... I serve burgers on
>> hard kiaser rolls and they fit perfectly.
>>
>> I grind my own meat and can tell you that to grind and prepare 50
>> burgers start to finish including weighing each 7 ounce portion and
>> clean up shouldn't require much more than one hour... and I make my own
>> wax paper squares too.

> How on Earth have you managed to avoid marrying Martha Stewart? :-)
>
> Bob

You didn't know? "Sheldon" is Martha Stewart's pen name on rfc. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-3, 06/30/2005
Tested on: 6/30/2005 6:49:50 PM

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"A.C." > wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > As I mentioned in earlier threads, we're having about 50 people on
> > July 2nd, weather permitting. The store that we're getting the ground
> > sirloin from makes patties that are 1/4. They make good hamburgers
> > but they seem to get lost in the roll.
> >
> > Does size really matter? What is your experience on hamburger size.
> > Unforunately, they only do 1/4 pound patties in this store that has
> > chooped sirloin for 2.99 a pound. I'd prefer 1/3 of a pound but there
> > is so much to do, we don't want to have to make 50 hamburger patties
> > ourselves. We're also serving hot dogs, sliced shell steak and
> > chicken with that Cattleman's Sauce that they sell in Costco, so there
> > will be plenty of food.

> i've found that a 1/4 pattie is plenty if you plan on loading it with the
> usuals. tomato, onion, cheese, ketchup mustard and or mayo (or slaw, chilli
> and mustard for some of us weird folk) just choose a bun that is slightly smaller
> than the pattie size and don't over cook the burgers. they should meet in the
> middle.

I agree. For me, more than 1/4 pound is overkill for a hamburger. I
don't even like that many condiments on hamburgers. Just some ketchup and
a slice of cheese (cheddar or American) is fine. If I am really hungry, I
might put on some bacon and sauted mushrooms.

Those big huge hamburgers I sometimes see also take too long to cook.
Anyone who wants a heftier hamburger can always add two beef patties to
the sandwich.

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
(Dan Abel) wrote:

http://www.mikesburgers.com/images/mikeburg.JPG

Looks tasty, but I would lose the lettuce and onion.
I am not a fan of either one. I would, of course, put
on two or three tablespoons worth of Heinz Ketchup.
Sheldon

A.C. wrote:

> i've found that a 1/4 pattie is plenty.

Quarter pound burgers flattened enough to fill the typical burger bun
are too thin. They cook up like flattened hocky pucks, tough and dry
like the usual fast food joint booger. A mere 2-3 ounces more makes
the burger thick enough to cook up much less dry. Naturally if you
grind your own than it's perfectly safe to cook burgers rare... and
until you've eaten a burger from a freshly ground quality cut of never
frozen meat that's cooked rare you really have never eaten a burger.
Fast food mystery meat boogers are NOT burgers, not even close. The
burgers I make are steakburgers cooked within an hour of grinding...
not mystery meat hamburgers from unknown meat ground 2-3 days ago... I
don't know how yoose get past the stench.

Sheldon

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

> Two whole beef patties extra sauce
> lettuce cheese on a sesame seed bun.

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a
sesame seed bun!

I think it's time to try again to get back to sleep.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Stan Horwitz

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> A.C. wrote:
> >
> > i've found that a 1/4 pattie is plenty.

> Quarter pound burgers flattened enough to fill the typical burger bun
> are too thin. They cook up like flattened hocky pucks, tough and dry
> like the usual fast food joint booger. A mere 2-3 ounces more makes
> the burger thick enough to cook up much less dry. Naturally if you
> grind your own than it's perfectly safe to cook burgers rare... and
> until you've eaten a burger from a freshly ground quality cut of never
> frozen meat that's cooked rare you really have never eaten a burger.
> Fast food mystery meat boogers are NOT burgers, not even close. The
> burgers I make are steakburgers cooked within an hour of grinding...
> not mystery meat hamburgers from unknown meat ground 2-3 days ago... I
> don't know how yoose get past the stench.

Like most things involving food, burger weight is a matter of personal
taste. Quarter pound burgers are fine with me, but a slightly larger
patty is okay by me too. I am not a fanatic about the hamburgers I eat.
As long as the patty fits entirely on the bun, but is not too small, its
okay with me, assuming its cooked properly.
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> "jmcquown" > said:
>
>> Two whole beef patties extra sauce
>> lettuce cheese on a sesame seed bun.

> Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions
> on a sesame seed bun!
>
> I think it's time to try again to get back to sleep.
>
> Carol

Hey, I don't eat the stuff and apparently the "jingle" didn't stick in my
brain, which I take to be a good sign I do, however, remember the entire
"Fig Newton" song. Oooey gooey fresh and chewy inside... golden flakey
tender cakey outside... wrap the inside in the outside is it good? Darn
Tootin! Doing the Big Fig Newton!"

Jill

jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
> Damsel wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > said:
>>
>>> Two whole beef patties extra sauce
>>> lettuce cheese on a sesame seed bun.

>> Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions
>> on a sesame seed bun!
>>
>> I think it's time to try again to get back to sleep.
>>
>> Carol

> remember the entire "Fig Newton" song. Oooey gooey RICH and chewy
> inside... golden flakey tender cakey outside... wrap the inside in
> the outside is it good? Darn Tootin! Doing the Big Fig Newton!"
>
> Jill

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 01 Jul 2005 05:42:49a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Damsel wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > said:
>>
>>> Two whole beef patties extra sauce lettuce cheese on a sesame seed
>>> bun.

>> Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions
>> on a sesame seed bun!
>>
>> I think it's time to try again to get back to sleep.
>>
>> Carol

> Hey, I don't eat the stuff and apparently the "jingle" didn't stick in
> my brain, which I take to be a good sign I do, however, remember the
> entire "Fig Newton" song. Oooey gooey fresh and chewy inside... golden
> flakey tender cakey outside... wrap the inside in the outside is it
> good? Darn Tootin! Doing the Big Fig Newton!"
>
> Jill

This one I remember from a billboard when I was ~5 years old...
"Pepsi-Cola hits the spot, 12 full ounces, that's a lot, Twice as much for
a nickel too, Pepsi-Cola is the Drink for you!"

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0526-4, 07/01/2005
Tested on: 7/1/2005 5:51:09 AM

Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Get the smaller burger patty and look for a smaller bun to contain it.
> Even if it's a roll from the bakery, rather than a "hamburger bun."

What's with these monster sized bins these days? They are way to big. I
just want the bun as a vehicle for the meat pattie and condiments, not to
make a meal of the roll. The really cheap hamburger buns aren't too big,
but they are cheap, crappy buns. The better quality buns are enormous. If I
can't make it to our local bakery to get their hamburg buns I just buy
dinner rolls from the bakery department at the grocery store and used them.

As for burger size..... I have heard enough warnings about the consequences
of eating rare hamburg that I go for them being more well done than I would
want a steak to be. I make my hamburger patties thin so that they can cook
in the middle without burning the outside too much. Besides, I prefer the
flavour of the fattier ground meats than the lean stuff. If you make them
too thick, you start getting a lot of flare ups from the dripping fat,
charring the outside before the inside is cooked. If you make them thinner
you stand a better chance of getting a more evenly cooked burger.

Bob (this one)

Dave Smith wrote:

> As for burger size..... I have heard enough warnings about the consequences
> of eating rare hamburg that I go for them being more well done than I would
> want a steak to be.

The warnings are for store-bought ground beef which should be cooked to
at least 150°F (although unless you have a good tip-reading thermometer,
you can't measure). If you grind it yourself from a piece of
whole-muscle beef, you can eat it as it comes out of the grinder. Or
cook it (or not) to any degree of doneness you want. A rare burger is
one of my faves.

> I make my hamburger patties thin so that they can cook
> in the middle without burning the outside too much. Besides, I prefer the
> flavour of the fattier ground meats than the lean stuff. If you make them
> too thick, you start getting a lot of flare ups from the dripping fat,
> charring the outside before the inside is cooked. If you make them thinner
> you stand a better chance of getting a more evenly cooked burger.

You don't need to make them thin to cook evenly, you need to lower the
heat or raise your grate. And don't cook them directly over the hottest
part of the flame.

When you shape them, they'll cook more evenly and finish more like a
patty and less like a meatball if you make them slightly concave. Make
the edges 3/4 inch thick and the centers 1/2 inch thick. As the meat
cooks and shrinks, it draws up such that it will be of uniform thickness
when finished. The more done you cook them, the more the difference
should be.

Pastorio
Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

> Damsel wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > said:
> >
> >> Two whole beef patties extra sauce
> >> lettuce cheese on a sesame seed bun.

> > Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions
> > on a sesame seed bun!

> Hey, I don't eat the stuff and apparently the "jingle" didn't stick in my
> brain, which I take to be a good sign I do, however, remember the entire
> "Fig Newton" song. Oooey gooey fresh and chewy inside... golden flakey
> tender cakey outside... wrap the inside in the outside is it good? Darn
> Tootin! Doing the Big Fig Newton!"

I don't recall ever hearing that! I'd probably recognize it if I heard the
tune, though. Call me up and sing to me, Jill.

Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs
What kinds of kids eats Armour hot dogs?
Fat kids, skinny kids
Kids who climb on rocks
Tough kids, sissy kids
Even kids with chicken pox
Love hot dogs, Armour hot dogs
The dogs. Kids. Love. To bite!

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Damsel

Damsel > said:

> "jmcquown" > said:
>
> > Hey, I don't eat the stuff and apparently the "jingle" didn't stick in my
> > brain, which I take to be a good sign I do, however, remember the entire
> > "Fig Newton" song. Oooey gooey fresh and chewy inside... golden flakey
> > tender cakey outside... wrap the inside in the outside is it good? Darn
> > Tootin! Doing the Big Fig Newton!"

> I don't recall ever hearing that! I'd probably recognize it if I heard the
> tune, though. Call me up and sing to me, Jill.

She did it!

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> Damsel > said:
>
>> "jmcquown" > said:
>>
>>> Hey, I don't eat the stuff and apparently the "jingle" didn't stick
>>> in my brain, which I take to be a good sign I do, however,
>>> remember the entire "Fig Newton" song. Oooey gooey fresh and chewy
>>> inside... golden flakey tender cakey outside... wrap the inside in
>>> the outside is it good? Darn Tootin! Doing the Big Fig Newton!"

>> I don't recall ever hearing that! I'd probably recognize it if I
>> heard the tune, though. Call me up and sing to me, Jill.

> She did it!
>
> Carol

That will teach you to challenge me when I have your phone number!
Yeah, then we started singing the "Oscar Mayer Weiner" song and talking
about the boy (now man) who sang "My bologna has a first name, it's OSCAR".
Egads! We're sick!

Jill

Jeff Bienstadt

Damsel wrote:

> "jmcquown" > said:
>
>> Damsel wrote:

>> > Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions
>> > on a sesame seed bun!

>> Hey, I don't eat the stuff and apparently the "jingle" didn't stick in my
>> brain, which I take to be a good sign I do, however, remember the
>> entire
>> "Fig Newton" song. Oooey gooey fresh and chewy inside... golden flakey
>> tender cakey outside... wrap the inside in the outside is it good? Darn
>> Tootin! Doing the Big Fig Newton!"

> I don't recall ever hearing that! I'd probably recognize it if I heard
> the
> tune, though. Call me up and sing to me, Jill.
>
> Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs
> What kinds of kids eats Armour hot dogs?
> Fat kids, skinny kids
> Kids who climb on rocks
> Tough kids, sissy kids
> Even kids with chicken pox
> Love hot dogs, Armour hot dogs
> The dogs. Kids. Love. To bite!
>
> Carol

Grab a bucket and mop.
Clean the bottom and top.
There is nothing so clean.
As my burger machine.

You deserve a break today,
So get up and get away
To McDonalds!
--- Barry Manilow

---jkb

--
"We're having lasagna. There is a recipe in the back
of a Rice Krispies box."

widewoman

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:30:20 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> As for burger size..... I have heard enough warnings about the consequences
>> of eating rare hamburg that I go for them being more well done than I would
>> want a steak to be.

>The warnings are for store-bought ground beef which should be cooked to
>at least 150°F (although unless you have a good tip-reading thermometer,
>you can't measure). If you grind it yourself from a piece of
>whole-muscle beef, you can eat it as it comes out of the grinder. Or
>cook it (or not) to any degree of doneness you want. A rare burger is
>one of my faves.

Doesn't matter much if it's never been frozen or not, it's a matter of
whether during the butchering any of the gut content of the animal has
splattered onto the flesh of the meat. e-coli can remain on the
external part of the meat and get redistributed in the process of
cutting. Plus if you aren't sure of the butcher and cutter, cross
contamination from animal to the next occurs if they don't clean their
saws between cutting of one person's beef to the next, and if it's a
commercial operation..they sure don't do that.

So while you're certainly far safer grinding your own, it's not a
guarantee of complete safety from e-coli, nor other contamination from
handling, contact with surfaces etc.

I'll take mine well done please ;-) I used to cook medium rare.. and
while it's good that way, so's well done if the meat has enough fat in
it to keep it from becoming chalky.

>> I make my hamburger patties thin so that they can cook
>> in the middle without burning the outside too much. Besides, I prefer the
>> flavour of the fattier ground meats than the lean stuff. If you make them
>> too thick, you start getting a lot of flare ups from the dripping fat,
>> charring the outside before the inside is cooked. If you make them thinner
>> you stand a better chance of getting a more evenly cooked burger.

>You don't need to make them thin to cook evenly, you need to lower the
>heat or raise your grate. And don't cook them directly over the hottest
>part of the flame.

As someone else has said, it's all a matter of personal taste. I like
mine as thin as I can mash 'em on a plate I have rinsed with water so
they will release from the plate easily. I can make them larger than
I ultimately want them, and they shrink to the size I want them quite
nicely and could quickly. Just the way I like them. I'd rather stack
up 2 or 3, than cook the same amount of meat in one piece. Until I
figured out how to get the meat as thin as I liked it, I didn't like
home cooked burgers at all. So, I probably like 'em like you hate 'em
;-) All a matter of personal preference!

Janice