Default Waffle House hash browns scattered, smothered, and covered

How would you go about cutting potatoes in the small stick shape like
they have at Waffle House? Waffle House hash browns scattered
smothered with onions and covered with cheese is about as good as it
gets.

Gregory Morrow

> How would you go about cutting potatoes in the small stick shape like
> they have at Waffle House? Waffle House hash browns scattered
> smothered with onions and covered with cheese is about as good as it
> gets.

Especially if you find a dead roach somewhere in the mix...

*Really*, Waffle House is as disgusting a place as you can find. But it's
in the South, so no surprise there.

--
Best
Greg

Dean G.

"I think it should be a crime to serve potatoes -- *ANY* potatoes --
without some onions in the mix."

In Waffle House-speak that would be "smothered".

IIRC the terms they use are :
scattered - served scattered instead of in a patty
smothered - smothered in onions
covered - covered with cheese
chunked - chunks of ham added
capped - mushrooms on top
topped - topped with chili
diced - diced tomatoes added

"How would you go about cutting potatoes in the small stick shape like
they have at Waffle House? "

I use a cheese grater. The problem I have is getting the moisture out
without them turning the gray-brown color they get when oxidizing. I
have tried the freezer and an oven on low, but neither see to work very
well.

You can also buy pre-grated potatoes at the store. Usually they are
near the eggs at the stores around here.

Dean G.

Dimitri

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> How would you go about cutting potatoes in the small stick shape like
> they have at Waffle House? Waffle House hash browns scattered
> smothered with onions and covered with cheese is about as good as it
> gets.

Never having been to a waffle house I am not 100% sure but if you are looking to
make "matchsticks" get a Mandoline.

Dimitri

Pan Ohco

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:04:50 GMT, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> How would you go about cutting potatoes in the small stick shape like
>> they have at Waffle House? Waffle House hash browns scattered
>> smothered with onions and covered with cheese is about as good as it
>> gets.

>Especially if you find a dead roach somewhere in the mix...
>
>*Really*, Waffle House is as disgusting a place as you can find. But it's
>in the South, so no surprise there.

Cheep shot Greg.

Pan Ohco

Gregory Morrow

Pan Ohco wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:04:50 GMT, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>

> > wrote:
> >
> >> How would you go about cutting potatoes in the small stick shape like
> >> they have at Waffle House? Waffle House hash browns scattered
> >> smothered with onions and covered with cheese is about as good as it
> >> gets.

> >Especially if you find a dead roach somewhere in the mix...
> >
> >*Really*, Waffle House is as disgusting a place as you can find. But

it's
> >in the South, so no surprise there.

> Cheep shot Greg.

Just because a shot is cheap doesn't mean it can't hit the mark, Monsieur
Pan Pipe - any random stone can be just as effective a weapon as a million -
dollar cruise missile :-)

Now as southron institutions go I *do* harbor a sneeking affection for
Stuckey's...

--
Best
Greg

Default User

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

> I think it should be a crime to serve potatoes -- *ANY*
> potatoes -- without some onions in the mix. Even with french
> fries, some de-greased fried onions just set the potato flavor
> off like nobody's business.

And I think it's a crime to put onions in potatoes. Or anything else
for that matter, can NOT stand them. That's what makes the world go
around.

Brian

Scattered, Smothered, Covered, Capped, Topped, Country Ubiquitous Restaurants 1 24-02-2014 10:05 AM
HASH BROWNS werwiniskp General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 12:41 PM
Hash Browns Steve Walker General Cooking 16 11-07-2006 08:16 AM
Indian hash browns Jke General Cooking 12 15-05-2006 10:32 PM