toddjb

Default Any good street food in Phoenix, AZ ?

I'm off to Phoenix this weekend for a wedding. Any particular food that
Phoenix is known for that I should try while I'm there?

I'm not talking fine dining or anything. Something along the lines of
Philly is known for cheese steaks, NY/NJ for good pizza and bagels,
Chicago for chicago style pizza, Pittsburgh for Primanti's sandwiches (mmmm),
etc.

So, any "must eat" stops while I'm visiting Phoenix for a few days?

Thanks!

-todd
Deepak Saxena

In article >,
toddjb > wrote:

>I'm off to Phoenix this weekend for a wedding. Any particular food that
>Phoenix is known for that I should try while I'm there?
>
>I'm not talking fine dining or anything. Something along the lines of
>Philly is known for cheese steaks, NY/NJ for good pizza and bagels,
>Chicago for chicago style pizza, Pittsburgh for Primanti's sandwiches (mmmm),
>etc.

>So, any "must eat" stops while I'm visiting Phoenix for a few days?

Do you have a rental car and what part of Phx are you in? I ask b/c
Phoenix is over 50 miles in diameter. I live in Tempe, and down here
there is a lot of middle-eastern (17 restaurants in a 2 mile radius
last I counted) and there's some good stuff around the campus. There's
not much of a street food scene here b/c Phoenix is not a pedestrian
friendly town and and it's too hot half the year to be outside. Some
not to pricy places worth checking out if you have the time:

- Four Peaks Brewery. Good beer (Kiltlifter and Heffe are the best)
and decent food for a pub. Just avoid their Thai Hummus.

- Cheba Hut. Toasted sub place with a pot theme. Better than what
you'll get a at any national chain, but the atmosphere is what
makes it worthwhile.

- Chuckbox in downtown tempe. Wood fired burgers.

- Wildflower Bakery. Good artisan bread and sandwiches. If you're
ok going meatless for a meal, get their roasted sweet potato.
Slices of roasted sweet potato, shaved fennel, balsamic fig compote,
argula, and mozzarella on foccacia. Amazing.

- If you have time on saturday, head over to The Farm on South Mountain.
They have a farmer's market and a little restaurant that sells good
breakfast.

- Anywhere but Scotsdale and the outer burbs, you will find many
little mexican places. Most of them are really greasy and not
that great, though some of them stand out. If head into guadalupe,
you'll get fresher and more traditional dishes using ingredients
such as cactus (nopales)

- _Good_ mexican @ Los Sombrero's in south Scotsdale. They have
a pumpkin seed encrusted snapper that is to die for. Very different
than your usual fajita, enchilada, etc.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net - http://www.plexity.net/

"Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment and
will die here like rotten cabbages." - Number 6
Heidi

(toddjb) wrote in message . com>...
> Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> > Steve Wertz wrote:
> > >
> > > On 4 May 2004 10:29:41 -0700,
(toddjb)

> > > Pittsburgh may be known for it's Primanati sandwich, but it's
> > > hardly a PGH specialty. It's an inferior quality sandwich that
> > > has a *very* small following in PGH itself. It irks me when
> > > people think Primanati's is classic PGH food. It's just a bunch
> > > of hype featured on a few food shows.

> Steve, you must have misunderstood my post. I'm looking for great
> street food. Again, not fine dining...something that's good casual
> or after a night of drinking. I've been to PGH several times, have
> family and friends from PGH and othes who have gone to college there...all
> of them would disagree with you. So, it isn't a very small following,
> but yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure there
> are people who don't like the sandwich. I happen to love their sandwiches!!!
>
> But, I'll heed to your opinion and as a tangent to this thread, what
> do you think is a classic PGH food? Just curious.
>
> -todd
>

> > That is *SO* not true! Primanti's sandwiched are great!
> > I love them.

I've been to four of the Primanti's locations: Strip, Downtown near
Kaufmann's, Oakland and North Versailles. As far as I can tell they
are all about the same. I'm not a big fan of french fries so I'm not
thrilled with their sandwiches, but it is quite a meal in hand as was
originally intended. Primanti's is famous because it is unusual. For
a hoagie, I'd go to Uncle Sam's Subs. I don't know if they're
classic, but their stuff is good.

So far, no one seems to have mentioned Vincent's pizza but I'm not
sure that's considered street food. I consider it classic Pgh food.
I recently found out that they still use well water at the original
Forest Hills location. Perhaps this is the "secret".

Heidi
Aria

In N Out Burger....

"toddjb" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm off to Phoenix this weekend for a wedding. Any particular food that
> Phoenix is known for that I should try while I'm there?
>
> I'm not talking fine dining or anything. Something along the lines of
> Philly is known for cheese steaks, NY/NJ for good pizza and bagels,
> Chicago for chicago style pizza, Pittsburgh for Primanti's sandwiches

(mmmm),
> etc.
>
> So, any "must eat" stops while I'm visiting Phoenix for a few days?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -todd

Mr. Wizard

"toddjb" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm off to Phoenix this weekend for a wedding. Any particular food that
> Phoenix is known for that I should try while I'm there?
>
> I'm not talking fine dining or anything. Something along the lines of
> Philly is known for cheese steaks, NY/NJ for good pizza and bagels,
> Chicago for chicago style pizza, Pittsburgh for Primanti's sandwiches

(mmmm),
> etc.
>
> So, any "must eat" stops while I'm visiting Phoenix for a few days?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -todd

Check out Nellos Pizza on Southern in Tempe.
Fantastic Chi Town family recipe.

Neil Williams

I think Honey Bear Barbecue is a bit of a local institution. It's kind
of a divey bbq place. The original restaurant is close to the airport
somewhere. There's a 2nd location downtown around central
and thomas. Pretty good bbq chicken and ribs.

Also, I don't know if this up your alley but there's a Chinese market
around 44th and Van Buren where you can buy a live fish (usually
tilapia) and they'll clean and deep fry it for you on the spot. Best
eaten immediately in the car while crispy and steaming!

As Deepak says, Phoenix isn't a pedestrian town (except maybe
for Tempe) so there's not much street food to be had. I can point
you towards a few of my favorite Scottsdale restaurants if you're
interested.

--Neil