Robert Marshall

Default How to make sweetened coconut milk??

Hi all,

I've got a recipe that calls for sweetened coconut milk. Today I
checked three stores, including a large Asian market, and cannot find
anything labeled sweetened coconut milk.

Does anyone know of a way of making sweetened coconut milk from
unsweetened coconut milk? Can someone simply add sugar? If so, what
type and how much?

Thanks!!

Robert

rms

Robert Marshall wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a recipe that calls for sweetened coconut milk. Today I
> checked three stores, including a large Asian market, and cannot find
> anything labeled sweetened coconut milk.
>
> Does anyone know of a way of making sweetened coconut milk from
> unsweetened coconut milk? Can someone simply add sugar? If so, what
> type and how much?

Just add sugar, say half a cup for a can, and add more to whatever
you are making if it needs more. Look for sweetened cm where the
cocktail mixes are in a grocery. Coco Lopez usually in US. rms

"...and getting caught in the rain.
And the feel of the ocean,
and the taste of champagne..."
Robert Marshall

Yes, I'm being serious. Why would you think otherwise?

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the sugar method out later today,

Robert

NT wrote:

> ...If youre being serious you can sweetn it with anything you want.
>
> Regards, NT

jmcquown

Robert Marshall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a recipe that calls for sweetened coconut milk. Today I
> checked three stores, including a large Asian market, and cannot find
> anything labeled sweetened coconut milk.
>
> Does anyone know of a way of making sweetened coconut milk from
> unsweetened coconut milk? Can someone simply add sugar? If so, what
> type and how much?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Robert

Depends on the recipe; sometimes what you are actually looking for is
coconut cream. But for sateh, I use 12 oz. frozen coconut, thawed, then
heat it gently with about 1/2 cup milk and about 2 Tbs. of white sugar.
It's an ingredient in the marinade, and my amounts are never exact.

Jill

Robert Marshall

Thanks all!!

I ended up going to a 99 Ranch Market, which is a big chain of Asian
stores out here on the West Coast.

They had about a half dozen brands of canned coconut milk, none of
which were sweetened. What I did notice was that they all had some
type of preservative in the (potasium Metabisulfite or Sodium).
However, right next to them was something in a liter-sized box that
had no preservatives. I honestly can't remember the name. It was
something like ASAM or ASIAM. It was in a green box with lots of Thai
writing on it. In any event it was the thickest most delicious coconut
milk (more like cream!) that I've ever had. Added some cane sugar to
it, and it worked just as expected. Best part is that the liter was
only $1.89!!!!

If you have a 99 Ranch Market in your neck of the woods, its
definately worth taking a tour, even if you don't buy anything. They
have scores and scores of live fish in tanks where you can choose your
own fish. Also, lots of unique-looking vegetables too.

Later,

Robert
-------------------
jmk > wrote in message >...
> On 5/11/2004 2:23 PM, Frogleg wrote:
> > On 3 May 2004 16:30:31 -0700, (Robert
> > Marshall) wrote:
> >

> >>I've got a recipe that calls for sweetened coconut milk. Today I
> >>checked three stores, including a large Asian market, and cannot find
> >>anything labeled sweetened coconut milk.

> > The sweet stuff in cans is usually shelved with coctail mixers, as
> > Jill says. And 'coconut cream' is the operative term. However, this
> > applies to both the sweetened product (which is also available in
> > Asian markets as a dry powder) and thick, unsweetened coconut milk --
> > the first pressing, as it were. If uncertain, check the ingredient
> > label for sweeteners.

> My local stores keep it in the "ethnic food" section. They all seem to
> have Thai next to Mexican. I think that one store keeps it in both
> ethnic food and also in the baking aisle on the bottom shelf by the
> shredded coconut and chocolate chips.

Robert Marshall