T E

Default recipe for Black Forest chocolate cake

Here you go.
http://www.ichef.com/bulletinboard-t...m?threadid=112

Frodo

I would like a recipe for Black Forest chocolate cake. Does it need
whipping cream added to the cake?
How do you make the chocolate cake? Does it take marachino cherries as
well? Do you have to put it in the refrigerator to chill it before serving?
Should you add strawberries in glaze and whipping cream when serving the
cake for dessert? What meal should be served before the cake is served?
Sincerely;
Ingrid Kraemer

MOM PEAGRAM

"Frodo" > wrote in message
> I would like a recipe for Black Forest chocolate cake. Does it need
> whipping cream added to the cake?
> How do you make the chocolate cake? Does it take marachino cherries as
> well? Do you have to put it in the refrigerator to chill it before

serving?
> Should you add strawberries in glaze and whipping cream when serving the
> cake for dessert? What meal should be served before the cake is served?
> Sincerely;
> Ingrid Kraemer

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Forest Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes

-----CAKE-----
1 c Water
1 c Honey
1/2 c Applesauce
1 t Vanilla
1 t Vinegar
2 c Wholewheat pastry flour or
-- ¥
unbleached white flour
3/4 c Cocoa powder
1 tb Baking powder
1 t Baking soda
-----SYRUP-----
1/2 c Water
1/4 c Honey
2 Thin lemon or orange slices
1/3 c Kirsch
-----ICING-----
3/4 c Raw cashews
3/4 c Water
2 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Honey
10 oz Firm tofu
3 oz Semi-sweet chocolate,
Melted
16 oz Jar pitted cherries,
Drained

CAKE: Preheat oven to 350F. Combine liquid ingredients in a large
bowl & whisk well. Sift dry ingredients together & whisk into liquid
mixture. Pour into greased & floured 9" cake tin & bake for 35
minutes or until springy.

Cool cake completely & remove from pan. With a serrated knife, cut
cake horizontally to make 3 thin layers.

SYRUP: Combine first 3 ingredients in a small pot & boil for 3
minutes. Let cool & then add kirsch.

ICING: In a blender, combine cashews, water & vanilla. Blend till
smooth & creamy. Add honey & tofu & blend again. Set aside 2 c for
the vanilla icing to go on top & sides of cake. To the rest of the
mixture, add melted chocolate & 3 tb of syrup. Blend till smooth.
Chill both icings before using.

TO ASSEMBLE: Carefully remove the top two layers of cake. Brush some
syrup onto bottom layer & spread half of chocolate icing over it.
Place the middle cake layer on top & brush with syrup & icing. Put
down a layer of cherries & dot with a little vanilla icing to help
the top layer stick. Place the top layer on the cherries & brush
again with syrup. Frost top & sides with vanilla icing. Decorate with
cherries & pipe rosettes if desired.

Chill several hours before serving. The cake can be kept covered if
not being served till the following day. However, the frosting may
discolour after about 3 days.

"Vegetarian Times" December, 1993

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 195 Calories; 2g Fat (7.4% calories
from fat); 3g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 3
Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Forest Cake 3

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes

-----CAKE-----
2 c Plus
2 tb All purpose flour
2 c Sugar
3/4 c Cocoa
1 1/2 ts Baking powder
3/4 ts Baking soda
3/4 ts Salt
3 Eggs
1 c Milk
1/2 c Vegetable oil
1 tb Vanilla
-----CHERRY TOPPING-----
2 cn (20 Ounce size) tart pitted
Cherries, undrained
1 c Sugar
1/4 c Cornstarch
1 t Vanilla
-----FROSTING-----
3 c Whipping cream
1/3 c Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake
pans. Cover bottoms with waxed paper. Combine dry ingredients in
large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat until well blended.
Pour evenly into prepared pans. Bake 35 minutes or until wooden pick
inserted in centers comes out clean. While cake is baking prepare
Cherry Topping and let cool. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10
minutes. Loosen edges, remove from pans to racks. Remove waxed paper,
cool completely. Split each cake layer in half horizontally. Tear one
of these split layers into crumbs; set aside. (Use toothpicks on
sides of cakes to use as guides when cutting horizontally) Prepare
Frosting; reserve 1 1/2 cups for decorating cake, set aside. Brush
loose crumbs off cake layers. To assemble place one cake layer on
serving plate. Spread top of this layer with one cup frosting top
with 3/4 cup Cherry Topping. Top with second cake layer; repeat
layers of Frosting, Cherry Topping and cake, ending with cake. Frost
side of cake with remaining frosting. Pat reserved crumbs onto
frosting on side of cake. Spoon reserved frosting into pastry bag
fitted with star decorator top. Pipe around top and bottom edges of
cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping onto top of cake. Refrigerate.

Cherry Topping: Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine
reserved juice, cherries, sugar and cornstarch in two quart saucepan.
Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in one
teaspoon vanilla. Cool, set aside. Directions for Frosting: Beat
together whipping cream and powdered sugar in chilled medium bowl at
high speed or electric mixer until Stiff Peaks form.

Fabulous Party Ideas 1994

I have seen this impressive cake, but have not tasted it. It will be a
party stopper. Well worth the effort.

== Courtesy of Dale & Gail Shipp, Columbia Md. ==

From: Gail Shipp

From: "Christi Calvert Brogan" <brogan@date: 7 Apr 1999 06:37:17 -0600

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6548 Calories; 403g Fat (53.4%
calories from fat); 52g Protein; 740g Carbohydrate; 22g Dietary Fiber;
1573mg Cholesterol; 3851mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat;
3 Non-Fat Milk; 79 Fat; 43 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Forest Cherry Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Fruits
German

Cake----------- 1 Cup
Sugar
4 oz Unsweetened
Bakingchocolate*
Syrup----------- 1/3 Cup
-- water
---------filling----------
1/3 c Butter -- unsalted
2 tb Kirsch liquer
2 c Sour cherries -- canned,
Drain
1 c Cream -- heavy, whipped
6 Eggs -- large
1 t Vanilla extract
1 c Flour -- sifted
1/4 c Sugar
2 tb Kirsch
1 1/2 c Confectioners' sugar
1 Egg yolk -- large
Topping---------- 2
tb Confectioners' sugar
8 oz Semisweet chocolate bar (1)

* There should be 4 squares of chocolate and it should be melted.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++
+++ ++++ CAKE: Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla together until thick and
fluffy, about 10 minutes. Alternately fold chocolate and flour into
the egg mixture, ending with flour. Pour the batter into 3 8-inch
cake pans that have been well greased and floured. Bake in a
preheated 350 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until a cake
tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for
5 minutes; turn out on racks to cool completely. SYRUP: Make syrup by
mixing together sugar and water and boiling for 5 minutes. When syrup
has cooled, stir in kirsch. Prick the cake layers and pour syrup over
all 3 layers. FILLING: To make the butter-cream filling, beat
together sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolk; beat
until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Fold in Kirsch. CAKE
ASSEMBLY: To assemble cake, place 1 layer on a cake plate. Spread
with butter cream filling. Using 3/4 cup of the cherries, which have
been patted dry, drop cherries evenly over cream. Place second layer
on cake. Repeat. Place third layer on top. Fold 2 T confectioners'
sugar into the whipped cream. Cover the sides and top of the cake
with whipped cream. Decorate top of cake with remaining 1/2 cup
cherries. To make chocolate curls from chocolate bar, shave (at room
temperature) with a vegetable peeler. Refrigerate curls until ready
to use. Press chocolate curls on sides of cake and sprinkle a few on
the top. Chill until serving time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 302 Calories; 19g Fat (57.1% calories
from fat); 7g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 214mg
Cholesterol; 136mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Black Forest Dump Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes

1 (8 oz.) can crushed
Pineapple
1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie
Filling
1 pk Devil's food cake mix
1 c Chopped pecans
1/2 c Butter or margarine, melted
Whipped topping

Drain pineapple, reserving liquid. Spread pineapple in a lightly
greased 13x9 inch pan. Add pie filling, spreading gently. Sprinkle
dry cake mix on pie filling; top with pecans.

Combine butter and reserved pineapple liquid; drizzle on mixture in
pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cut into squares. Top
with whipped topping.

from Southern Living Annual Recipes 1985

From: Ldavis > Date: Sunday, May 30, 1999 4:00
Pm MM by Helen Peagram

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 198 Calories; 20g Fat (85.4% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
trace Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 4 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brigitte Sealing's Black Forest Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes

MMMMM-------------------TYPED BY LINDA
FIELDS------------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories
from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte (black Forest Cherry Cake)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Fruits
German

-----CAKE-----
6 Eggs -- Large
1 c Sugar
1 t Vanilla Extract
4 oz Unsweetened
BakingChocolate*
1 c Flour -- Sifted
-----SYRUP-----
1/4 c Sugar
1/3 c -- Water
2 tb Kirsch
-----FILLING-----
1 1/2 c Confectioners' Sugar
1/3 c Butter -- Unsalted
1 Egg Yolk -- Large
2 tb Kirsch Liquer
-----TOPPING-----
2 c Sour Cherries -- Canned,
Drain
2 tb Confectioners' Sugar
1 c Cream -- Heavy, Whipped
[...]

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 399 Calories; 19g Fat (43.0% calories
from fat); 7g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 214mg
Cholesterol; 136mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Victor Sack

Frodo > wrote:

> I would like a recipe for Black Forest chocolate cake. Does it need
> whipping cream added to the cake?
> How do you make the chocolate cake? Does it take marachino cherries as
> well? Do you have to put it in the refrigerator to chill it before serving?
> Should you add strawberries in glaze and whipping cream when serving the
> cake for dessert?

Below is a recipe that will answer your questions. It is from _Recipes:
The Cooking of Germany_, Time-Life _Foods of the World_ series.

> What meal should be served before the cake is served?

It is generally served by itself, with coffee, not as a part of a larger
meal.

Victor

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte
Black Forest Cherry Cake

To serve 8 to 10

CHOCOLATE CURLS
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate

To make chocolate curls to garnish the cake, the bar or chunks of
chocolate should be at room temperature but not soft. Hold the
chocolate over wax paper or foil and shave the bar or square into thin
curls with a sharp narrow-bladed vegetable peeler. Draw the peeler
along the wide surface of the chocolate for large curls and along the
narrow side for small ones. Handle the chocolate as little as possible.
Refrigerate or freeze the curls until you are ready to use them.

CAKE
1 tablespoon butter, softened
6 tablespoons flour
10 tablespoons sweet butter
6 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa

Preheat the oven to 350°. With a pastry brush or paper towel, lightly
coat the bottoms and sides of three 7-inch round cake pans with soft
butter using about 1 tablespoon of butter in all. Sprinkle 2
tablespoons of flour into each pan, tip them from side to side to spread
the flour evenly, then invert the pans and rap them sharply on a table
to remove excess flour. Set the pans aside.

Clarify 10 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan by melting it slowly
over low heat without letting it brown. Let it rest for a minute off
the heat, then skim off the foam. Spoon the clear butter into a bowl
and set aside. Discard the milky solids at the bottom of the pan.

In an electric mixer, beat the eggs, vanilla and 1 cup of sugar together
at high speed for at least 10 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and
fluffy. (By hand with a rotary beater, this may take as long as 20
minutes of uninterrupted beating.)

Combine the 1/2 cup of sifted flour and the unsweetened cocoa in a
sifter. A little at a time sift the mixture over the eggs, folding it
in gently with a rubber spatula. Finally, add the clarified butter 2
tablespoons at a time. Do not overmix. Gently pour the butter into the
prepared cake pans dividing it evenly among the three of them.

Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until a cake
tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean. Remove
the cakes from the oven and let them cool in the pans for about 5
minutes. Then run a sharp knife around the edge of each cake and turn
them out on racks to cool out completely.

SYRUP
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup kirsch

Meanwhile, prepare the kirsch syrup in the following fashion: Combine
3/4 cup of sugar and 1 cup of cold water in a small saucepan and bring
to a boil over moderate heat, stirring only until the sugar dissolves.
Boil briskly, uncovered, for 5 minutes, then remove the pan from the
heat and when the syrup has cooled to lukewarm stir in the kirsch.

Transfer the cakes to a long strip of wax paper and prick each layer
lightly in several places with the tines of a long fork. Sprinkle the
layers evenly with the syrup and let them rest for at least 5 minutes.

FILLING AND TOPPING
3 cups chilled heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup kirsch
1 cup poached pitted fresh red cherries or 1 cup drained and rinsed
canned sour cherries
Fresh sweet cherries with stems, or substitute maraschino cherries with
stems, drained and rinsed

If you are using fresh cherries for the filling, poach them in the
following fashion: Remove their stems and pits, then combine them with 2
cups of water and 3/4 cup of sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil
over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, simmer for 5 minutes, or
until the cherries are tender. Drain them in a colander, discarding the
syrup, and pat the cherries completely dry with paper towels. Canned
cherries need only be rinsed in cold water and patted completely dry
with paper towels.

In a large chilled bowl, beat the cream with a whisk or a rotary or
electric beater until it thickens lightly. Then sift 1/2 cup of
confectioners' sugar over the cream and continue beating until the cream
forms firm peaks on the beater when it is lifted out of the bowl. Pour
in the 1/4 cup kirsch in a thin stream, and beat only until the kirsch
is absorbed.

To assemble the cake, place one of the three layers in the center of a
serving plate. With a spatula, spread the top with a 1/2-inch-thick
layer of whipped cream and strew the cup of fresh or canned cherries
over it leaving about 1/2 inch of cream free of cherries around the
perimeter. Gently set a second layer on top of the cherries and spread
it with 1/2 inch of whipped cream. Then set the third layer in place.
Spread the top and sides of the cake with the remaining cream.

With your fingers, gently press chocolate curls into the cream on the
sides of the cake and arrange a few chocolate curls and fresh or
maraschino cherries attractively on top.
Fudge

Best BFC to cross my lips wuz at a wedding reception. I asked the caterer
for the recipe and she said it was available as a mix and came in a large
pail. It was perfectly moist with luscious whipped stuff and lots of
cherries and a whiff of booze. Very high quality for a cake mix.

F.J.

"Frodo" > wrote in message
> I would like a recipe for Black Forest chocolate cake. Does it need
> whipping cream added to the cake?
> How do you make the chocolate cake? Does it take marachino cherries as
> well? Do you have to put it in the refrigerator to chill it before

serving?
> Should you add strawberries in glaze and whipping cream when serving the
> cake for dessert? What meal should be served before the cake is served?
> Sincerely;
> Ingrid Kraemer

Bronwyn Ferrier Ms

(Victor Sack) wrote in message >...
> Frodo > wrote:
>
> > I would like a recipe for Black Forest chocolate cake. Does it need
> > whipping cream added to the cake?
> > How do you make the chocolate cake? Does it take marachino cherries as
> > well? Do you have to put it in the refrigerator to chill it before serving?
> > Should you add strawberries in glaze and whipping cream when serving the
> > cake for dessert?

> Below is a recipe that will answer your questions. It is from _Recipes:
> The Cooking of Germany_, Time-Life _Foods of the World_ series.
>
> > What meal should be served before the cake is served?

> It is generally served by itself, with coffee, not as a part of a larger
> meal.
>
> Victor

This sounds the best BFC out of the two posted. I much prefer the
whipped cream with the cherries etc. rather than the icing with tofu
suggested in the first recipe. However, who knows until you make it,
the first recipe may be wonderful if not traditional. Making me
hungry just thinking about BFC. I am not a chocolate mud cake fan, so
much prefer cakes make with a chocolate sponge method. Using really
good quality dutch cocoa and pure vanilla essenses, the flavour is
still intense.
Cheers
Bronwyn
Qld Oz