chefjeff

Default Help---lost a "Dimitri" recipe.

Hi all,

Guessing that I am looking for a needle in a haystack, but here goes anyway.
I lost a recipe shared by Dimitri entitled "East Meets West Ribs"---or
something very similar to that title. It was a unique marinade for beef
ribs, and the results were delicious. If the recipe is floating in
cyberspace, I would sure like to get it back!
Cheers,
Jeff

BOB

chefjeff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Guessing that I am looking for a needle in a haystack, but here goes anyway.
> I lost a recipe shared by Dimitri entitled "East Meets West Ribs"---or
> something very similar to that title. It was a unique marinade for beef
> ribs, and the results were delicious. If the recipe is floating in
> cyberspace, I would sure like to get it back!
> Cheers,
> Jeff

Google is your friend...REALLY

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...king&lr=&hl=en

BOB

chefjeff > wrote:
> Hi all,

> Guessing that I am looking for a needle in a haystack, but here goes anyway.
> I lost a recipe shared by Dimitri entitled "East Meets West Ribs"---or
> something very similar to that title. It was a unique marinade for beef
> ribs, and the results were delicious. If the recipe is floating in
> cyberspace, I would sure like to get it back!

When in doubt, search http://groups.google.com

chefjeff

Hi Stan,

Although I've visited rec.food.cooking a few times over the years, I've yet
to be involved enough, to know all of the ins and outs.
I did go to the google site you recommended, and I even found that I could
go to rec.food.cooking
But I still don't know how to find that recipe I've lost. Bye the way, I
joined rec.food.cooking via my outlook express. Is this the optimal way to
join a newsgroup?
Thanks for responding to my original post
Jeff

jmcquown

chefjeff wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> Although I've visited rec.food.cooking a few times over the years,
> I've yet to be involved enough, to know all of the ins and outs.
> I did go to the google site you recommended, and I even found that I
> could go to rec.food.cooking
> But I still don't know how to find that recipe I've lost. Bye the
> way, I joined rec.food.cooking via my outlook express. Is this the
> optimal way to join a newsgroup?
> Thanks for responding to my original post
> Jeff

Beware - you are about to be slammed for using Outlook Express as a
newsreader!

Jill

Cryambers

Is this the missing recipe? I found this recipe in a post from Dimitri
8-16-02, by searching google groups for the words east west ribs in the group
rec.food.cooking.

pat

<<
Dimitri

Ginger-Orange Barbecued Beef Back Ribs
East meets west in this Oriental BBQ.

Refrigerate: Overnight--Cook: 1 hour--Servings: Serves 8
6 lbs. beef back ribs
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. soy sauce 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp. garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp. lemon zest, grated
1 tsp. salt
-- hot chili oil to taste

Trim excess fat from back ribs. Combine all other ingredients. Mix well and
pour over ribs. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight but no longer
than 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 425°F.

Remove ribs from marinade. Reserve marinade in a
saucepan. Place ribs on a rack over a pan of hot water in oven.
Roast 1 hour, turning once halfway through the cooking until browned and
crisp.

Reduce marinade to a glaze-like consistency
(about 1-1/2 cups). Reduce oven heat to 375°F. Brush ribs with glaze,
roast 15 minutes, turn, brush with glaze and roast 15 minutes more.

limey

"chefjeff" > wrote in message
> Hi Stan,
>
> Although I've visited rec.food.cooking a few times over the years, I've

yet
> to be involved enough, to know all of the ins and outs.
> I did go to the google site you recommended, and I even found that I could
> go to rec.food.cooking
> But I still don't know how to find that recipe I've lost. Bye the way, I
> joined rec.food.cooking via my outlook express. Is this the optimal way

> join a newsgroup?
> Thanks for responding to my original post
> Jeff

Jeff, be sure to click on the link that BOB gave you. It will take you
right to the information you want. I clicked on the first message under

Dora

chefjeff

Wow Pat, are you a lifesaver, or what? Indeed this is the recipe. Thank
you so much. Originally when Dimitri sent me this recipe, I made it
following the directions exactly, and an inexpensive rib dinner came out as
delicious, as if I'd purchased expensive dry aged prime new york steaks!
The ribs were melt in the mouth delicious, and crispy at the edges. I made
it again a few months later, and for some reason, this time the ribs turned
out dry and almost burnt at the edges. I've not made beef ribs often, and
now I know that they can vary in fat to lean ratio, thereby producing
different results when cooked. Nonetheless I am anxious to try Dimitri's
recipe again, because they were perfect on my first attempt. Thank you
again for finding that recipe.
Jeff

chefjeff

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer geek out
of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was the
only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved with rfc, and
if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any tips on
the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Christine Dabney

On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:55:13 -0700, "chefjeff" >
wrote:

>Hi Jill,
>
>Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer geek out
>of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was the
>only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved with rfc, and
>if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any tips on
>the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Jeff

This is where you go. Get Agent, the best newsreader around. There
is a free version, or was. But it pays to spring for the full
version.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Christine

BOB

chefjeff wrote:
> Hi Jill,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer geek out
> of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was the
> only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved with rfc, and
> if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any tips on
> the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jeff

If you're here, and reading and posting, then you've joined.

OE is an acceptable newsreader to use, it's just that many people believe that
"their" way is the only way.

Hope this helps,

BOB

jmcquown

chefjeff wrote:
> Hi Jill,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer
> geek out of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought
> that it was the only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become
> involved with rfc, and if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it
> the right way. Any tips on the right way to join a newsgroup would
> be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jeff

I should have told you, I also use Outlook Express! But there are tons of
newsreaders which come up in discussion here from time to time and most
everyone seems to hate Outlook. I use it simply because it's my email
client and I don't like being bothered by multiple programs when one can
perform the same functions. Here's a suggestion, however. Download O.E.
Quotefix - it will adjust your quoted text for you.

Oh, that's another thing I need to mention... quoting relevant text when
replying to a post. It helps people have some idea of what you are talking
about when you reply to posts.

The next thing you'll hear about, from someone, is how top-posting replies
is a bad thing. It can be, if a post is extremely long, because we read a
reply before having any clue what portion of a post you are responding to.
I, for one, prefer bottom or middle posting. Snipping irrelevant text is
also my preference, although sometimes I forget to do so.

Any other questions, just let me know. Oh, and there is an FAQ for
rec.food.cooking:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgrou...d.cooking.html

Welcome to the group ) Put on some flame-retardent underwear!

Jill

ChefJeff

Thank you Bob, Stan, Jill, Pat, and Dora.----I think that Google will
be my preferred method of accessing newsgroups. You all helped me
with finding the recipe I was searching for, and also a couple of the
particulars regarding newsgroups. Thanks again, and who
knows---perhaps I can return the favor!
Best wishes,
Jeff
sf

On Sun, 02 May 2004 09:05:19 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:55:13 -0700, "chefjeff" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Jill,
> >
> >Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer geek out
> >of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was the
> >only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved with rfc, and
> >if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any tips on
> >the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
> >Thanks,
> >Jeff
> >

> This is where you go. Get Agent, the best newsreader around. There
> is a free version, or was. But it pays to spring for the full
> version.
>
> http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

I use the free version and it's all I need.

sf

On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:55:13 -0700, "chefjeff"
> wrote:

> Any tips on
> the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.

This is a public newsgroup, so joining is the easy part ---
you're official the moment you post.

Leaving is the hard part. heheheheh.

limey

"ChefJeff" > wrote in message
om...
> Thank you Bob, Stan, Jill, Pat, and Dora.----I think that Google will
> be my preferred method of accessing newsgroups. You all helped me
> with finding the recipe I was searching for, and also a couple of the
> particulars regarding newsgroups. Thanks again, and who
> knows---perhaps I can return the favor!
> Best wishes,
> Jeff

You're welcome. Just mail me some of those ribs! <G> (kidding).

Dora

jmcquown

limey wrote:
> "ChefJeff" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Thank you Bob, Stan, Jill, Pat, and Dora.----I think that Google will
>> be my preferred method of accessing newsgroups. You all helped me
>> with finding the recipe I was searching for, and also a couple of the
>> particulars regarding newsgroups. Thanks again, and who
>> knows---perhaps I can return the favor!
>> Best wishes,
>> Jeff

> You're welcome. Just mail me some of those ribs! <G> (kidding).
>
> Dora

I, for one, can't wait until they perfect email like a transporter (a la
Star Trek): Does this sauce need some salt? <ZAP> No, but you might try
adding a little more pepper )

Jill

Charles Gifford

"chefjeff" > wrote in message
> Hi Jill,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer geek

out
> of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was the
> only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved with rfc,

and
> if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any tips on
> the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Hi Jeff! I use OE and find it very satisfactory. Much easier than google
unless you need so search for something.

Charlie, still hoping to see you in June!

hahabogus

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "chefjeff" > wrote in message
>> Hi Jill,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer
>> geek

> out
>> of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was
>> the only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved
>> with rfc,

> and
>> if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any
>> tips on the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff
>>

> Hi Jeff! I use OE and find it very satisfactory. Much easier than
> google unless you need so search for something.
>
> Charlie, still hoping to see you in June!

I like xnews...ctrl-d takes you to google and the rest is totaly adjustable
to the most common options you'd prefer. And the big plus is that it is
free. I used to use OE a long time ago, back in the Win 95-98 days.

Prior to that I used MR ICE a OS2 e-mail and newsreader client. But that
was before DSL.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Dimitri

"chefjeff" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Guessing that I am looking for a needle in a haystack, but here goes

anyway.
> I lost a recipe shared by Dimitri entitled "East Meets West Ribs"---or
> something very similar to that title. It was a unique marinade for beef
> ribs, and the results were delicious. If the recipe is floating in
> cyberspace, I would sure like to get it back!
> Cheers,
> Jeff

Sorry - was out of town,

You got the answers.

Dimitri

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:14:54 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
this:

>"chefjeff" > wrote in message
>> Hi Jill,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer geek

>out
>> of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was the
>> only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved with rfc,

>and
>> if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any tips on
>> the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff
>>

>Hi Jeff! I use OE and find it very satisfactory. Much easier than google
>unless you need so search for something.

Allow me to horn in here - do give Free Agent a try. It's, uh, free:

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

If you like the free version, you'll really like the commercial
version which includes such niceities as killfiles. Very slick, very
easy to use and very easy to configure. I've used commercial Agent for
years and love it.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
sf

On Mon, 03 May 2004 10:03:47 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> I like xnews...ctrl-d takes you to google

Shouldn't that be ctrl-G? <w>

Charles Gifford

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:14:54 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > arranged random neurons, so they looked like
> this:
>

> >"chefjeff" > wrote in message
> >> Hi Jill,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your reply. Now I have to ask you to help this computer

geek
> >out
> >> of the "outlook express rut" I've fallen into. I thought that it was

the
> >> only way to join a newsgroup. I really want to become involved with

rfc,
> >and
> >> if you give me a nudge, I would like to do it the right way. Any tips

on
> >> the right way to join a newsgroup would be appreciated.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jeff
> >>

> >Hi Jeff! I use OE and find it very satisfactory. Much easier than google
> >unless you need so search for something.
> >

> Allow me to horn in here - do give Free Agent a try. It's, uh, free:
>
> http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
>
> If you like the free version, you'll really like the commercial
> version which includes such niceities as killfiles. Very slick, very
> easy to use and very easy to configure. I've used commercial Agent for
> years and love it.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

I have had the commercial version for a few years now. I dislike it very
much. Might be fine for some folks, but I'll take the simplicity of OE.
YMMV.

Charlie

hahabogus

sf > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 03 May 2004 10:03:47 GMT, hahabogus
> > wrote:
>

>> I like xnews...ctrl-d takes you to google

> Shouldn't that be ctrl-G? <w>
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

No it is Ctrl-d. probably a dejavou <??> holdover

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

sf

On Tue, 04 May 2004 09:51:51 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> No it is Ctrl-d. probably a dejavou <??> holdover

OH, how I miss dejavu! I don't care what "they" say, I
still like deja better. <s>