Bob Simon

Default Benedictine Cheese

When I was a kid, I used to enjoy a green cream cheese spread called
Benedictine Cheese. My mother told me that it was made with
cucumbers. I got an urge to buy some last weekend but could not find
it in any of the grocery stores I tried, so I figure I'll try to make
a batch in the food processor.

Is there anything I should put in besides cream cheese, a peeled
cucumber, and some salt? Perhaps half an onion might be a nice
addition.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
Dimitri

"Bob Simon" > wrote in message
> When I was a kid, I used to enjoy a green cream cheese spread called
> Benedictine Cheese. My mother told me that it was made with
> cucumbers. I got an urge to buy some last weekend but could not find
> it in any of the grocery stores I tried, so I figure I'll try to make
> a batch in the food processor.
>
> Is there anything I should put in besides cream cheese, a peeled
> cucumber, and some salt? Perhaps half an onion might be a nice
> addition.
>
> --
> Bob Simon
> remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

From Epicurious:

Bénédictine; benedictine
[ben-eh-DIHK-teen]
1. A sweet LIQUEUR named after the Benedictine monks of the Abbey of Fecamp,
Normandy, who first began making it in the 16th century. Though the recipe is a
closely guarded secret, it is known that Bénédictine is COGNAC-based and
flavored with various AROMATICS, fruit peels and herbs. 2. A local specialty of
Louisville, Kentucky, benedictine is a spread made with cream cheese, cucumbers
and dill, all tinted brightly with green food coloring. It's named after its
creator, caterer Jennie Benedict.

You'll need to do a google search for the recipe there are just too many to post
here.

Just search "Benedictine cheese recipe"

Dimitri

nancree

Looks like you guessed right, Bob.

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...8/155785.shtml

Nancree

-L.

Bob Simon wrote:
> When I was a kid, I used to enjoy a green cream cheese spread called
> Benedictine Cheese. My mother told me that it was made with
> cucumbers. I got an urge to buy some last weekend but could not find
> it in any of the grocery stores I tried, so I figure I'll try to make
> a batch in the food processor.
>
> Is there anything I should put in besides cream cheese, a peeled
> cucumber, and some salt? Perhaps half an onion might be a nice
> addition.
>
> --
> Bob Simon
> remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

I add garlic, but I am a garlicoholic.

-L.

Bob Simon

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:18:09 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>From Epicurious:
>
>Bénédictine; benedictine
>[ben-eh-DIHK-teen]
>1. A sweet LIQUEUR named after the Benedictine monks of the Abbey of Fecamp,
>Normandy, who first began making it in the 16th century. Though the recipe is a
>closely guarded secret, it is known that Bénédictine is COGNAC-based and
>flavored with various AROMATICS, fruit peels and herbs. 2. A local specialty of
>Louisville, Kentucky, benedictine is a spread made with cream cheese, cucumbers
>and dill, all tinted brightly with green food coloring. It's named after its
>creator, caterer Jennie Benedict.

How about that! I'm from Louisville and moved away in 1979. No
wonder I can't find it here in New Orleans.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Bob Simon

On 21 Jun 2005 12:02:09 -0700, "nancree" > wrote:

>Looks like you guessed right, Bob.
>
>http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...8/155785.shtml
>
>Nancree

Thank you. I've printed this and will try this later tonight or
tomorrow.

Mayo doesn't sound right. I think if I need to thin this, I'll use
sour cream instead.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
Bob Simon

On 21 Jun 2005 12:04:52 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>I add garlic, but I am a garlicoholic.

I love garlic too but it doesn't match my memory of how this is
supposed to taste. I'll try adding it in a later version when I feel
adventurous.

Thanks!

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
sf

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:15:55 -0500, Bob Simon wrote:

> On 21 Jun 2005 12:04:52 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>
> >I add garlic, but I am a garlicoholic.

> I love garlic too but it doesn't match my memory of how this is
> supposed to taste. I'll try adding it in a later version when I feel
> adventurous.

Get back to us with your recipe... it sounds refreshing, even better
than "garden spread".
djs0302

Bob Simon wrote:
> When I was a kid, I used to enjoy a green cream cheese spread called
> Benedictine Cheese. My mother told me that it was made with
> cucumbers. I got an urge to buy some last weekend but could not find
> it in any of the grocery stores I tried, so I figure I'll try to make
> a batch in the food processor.
>
> Is there anything I should put in besides cream cheese, a peeled
> cucumber, and some salt? Perhaps half an onion might be a nice
> addition.
>
> --
> Bob Simon
> remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

>From the Courier-Journal Kentucky Cookbook:

Benedictine spread was originated in the 1920's by a Louisville caterer
named Jennie Benedict.

12 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1 medium cucumber peeled and grated, drain off the juice
1 medium onion peeled and grated, drain off the juice but save some of
it for later
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cayenne or dash of Tabasco
Mayonnaise to thin

Blend cream cheese, cucumber, and onion in a food processor. Add onion
juice to taste. Blend in just enough mayonnaise so that it's
spreadable.
Drop or two of green food coloring

djs0302

djs0302 wrote:
> >From the Courier-Journal Kentucky Cookbook:

> Benedictine spread was originated in the 1920's by a Louisville caterer
> named Jennie Benedict.
>
> 12 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
> 1 medium cucumber peeled and grated, drain off the juice
> 1 medium onion peeled and grated, drain off the juice but save some of
> it for later
> 1 teaspoon salt
> Pinch of cayenne or dash of Tabasco
> Mayonnaise to thin
>
> Blend cream cheese, cucumber, and onion in a food processor. Add onion
> juice to taste. Blend in just enough mayonnaise so that it's
> spreadable.
> Drop or two of green food coloring

Forgot to include the cayenne pepper and salt in the instructions. Add
those in with the cream cheese, cucumber, and onion, before you add in
the additional onion juice.

Drunken Cheese in a Bowl (Beer Cheese Soup) - DinkingAround.org DinkingAround Recipes 4 19-11-2014 12:33 PM
Benedictine Beartooth General Cooking 0 25-01-2009 05:13 PM
Cheese - who sells dehydrated found in Mac & Cheese boxes? The Hun General Cooking 16 03-11-2007 09:37 PM
Benedictine Spread Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 12-11-2005 03:26 AM