MJ

Default HELP beef ribs

Does anyone have a good recipe using beef ribs..I bought some on sale and
cooked one slab already..I put them on the BBQ and cooked them slow while
basting with bbq sauce.
I found them kind of tough and greasy.
I have one more slab left in the freezer and i was wondering if anyone had
any other ideas on how to cook them? I am use to cooking pork ribs not beef.
HELP!!
MJ

Dimitri

"MJ" > wrote in message
. ..
> Does anyone have a good recipe using beef ribs..I bought some on sale and
> cooked one slab already..I put them on the BBQ and cooked them slow while
> basting with bbq sauce.
> I found them kind of tough and greasy.
> I have one more slab left in the freezer and i was wondering if anyone had
> any other ideas on how to cook them? I am use to cooking pork ribs not beef.
> HELP!!
> MJ

What kind of Beef Ribs?

If they are the Big ones at 99 cents per pound stick them in the oven or on a
grill until cooked then give them to the dogs or cook them until almost burnt
and make stock.

Dimitri

zxcvbob

Dimitri wrote:

> "MJ" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Does anyone have a good recipe using beef ribs..I bought some on sale and
>>cooked one slab already..I put them on the BBQ and cooked them slow while
>>basting with bbq sauce.
>>I found them kind of tough and greasy.
>>I have one more slab left in the freezer and i was wondering if anyone had
>>any other ideas on how to cook them? I am use to cooking pork ribs not beef.
>>HELP!!
>>MJ

> What kind of Beef Ribs?
>
> If they are the Big ones at 99 cents per pound stick them in the oven or on a
> grill until cooked then give them to the dogs or cook them until almost burnt
> and make stock.
>

> Dimitri

Why would you say that? (I haven't cooked beef ribs before, but I often
roast *very* tough pieces of meat.) I would put them in an electric
roaster at 300° for however many hours it takes for them to get tender.
Something magic happens with another hour or two of slow cooking beyond
"well done".

Best regards,
Bob

Dave Smith

MJ wrote:

> Does anyone have a good recipe using beef ribs..I bought some on sale and
> cooked one slab already..I put them on the BBQ and cooked them slow while
> basting with bbq sauce.
> I found them kind of tough and greasy.
> I have one more slab left in the freezer and i was wondering if anyone had
> any other ideas on how to cook them? I am use to cooking pork ribs not beef.
> HELP!!

Beef short ribs are pretty good braised. Cook them as you would a stew by
browning them in a heavy pot with some oil, then saute onion, garlic, diced
carrot and mushrooms, ass some stock and red wine, then cover and stick it in
the oven for a few hours. To make them even better, let them cool after the
initial cooking, stick them in the fridge over night and then heat them up again
the next day. They should be tender and tasty.

Cooling over night should cause the grease to rise to the top and you can spoon
it out in chunks. You can remove the meat and thicken the broth too.

teleflora

"MJ" > wrote in message
. ..
> Does anyone have a good recipe using beef ribs..I bought some on sale and
> cooked one slab already..I put them on the BBQ and cooked them slow while
> basting with bbq sauce.
> I found them kind of tough and greasy.
> I have one more slab left in the freezer and i was wondering if anyone had
> any other ideas on how to cook them? I am use to cooking pork ribs not
> beef.
> HELP!!
> MJ

If I KNOW they are going to be tough, I have been known, upon occasion, and
VERY RELUCTANTLY mind you, to, um, boil them for awhile to release a lot of
the grease and then I put them in the oven, slather them with sauce and cook
them for a couple hours on low/medium (say, 250 - 300). The sauce is what
gives them the flavor anyway, IMHO.

Cindy > jerking on my flame proof underwear as I run back into the edge of
cover.

Dimitri

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

<snip>
>> What kind of Beef Ribs?
>>
>> If they are the Big ones at 99 cents per pound stick them in the oven or on a
>> grill until cooked then give them to the dogs or cook them until almost burnt
>> and make stock.
>>

>> Dimitri
>>

> Why would you say that? (I haven't cooked beef ribs before, but I often roast
> *very* tough pieces of meat.) I would put them in an electric roaster at 300°
> for however many hours it takes for them to get tender. Something magic
> happens with another hour or two of slow cooking beyond "well done".
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

To me there are 2 kinds of beef ribs. The ribs or bones that come from the
"standing rib roast" and/or rib steaks are wonderful and a real treat to eat.
Its like a slightly fatty steak on a bone. Yum.

The large bones they sell on Holidays at 99 cents per pound they are calling
"back bones" but if you look they have most of the meat between the bones
trimmed away. I think they are a bad value and you'd probably be better off
buying steak. There is probably less than 20% meat per pound the other 80% is
just bone. That's 3.2 ounces of meat per pound is tat is true that works out to
$5.00 per pound for the meat.

I just think they are JUNK and should not be sold as ribs

Dimitri

Ted Campanelli

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> Does anyone have a good recipe using beef ribs..I bought some on sale and
> cooked one slab already..I put them on the BBQ and cooked them slow while
> basting with bbq sauce.
> I found them kind of tough and greasy.
> I have one more slab left in the freezer and i was wondering if anyone had
> any other ideas on how to cook them? I am use to cooking pork ribs not beef.
> HELP!!
> MJ

Put them in a 200 degree oven for about 3 hrs then finish them on the
grill. The low heat will disolve the tough connective fibers in the meat.

Beef ribs NancyJaye General Cooking 4 17-02-2006 02:47 PM
Beef Ribs The Ranger General Cooking 6 17-05-2005 04:29 PM
Beef Ribs??? Randy Barbecue 39 06-09-2004 01:14 AM
Are beef (back) ribs the same as short ribs? Timothy Sebora Barbecue 1 15-07-2004 03:56 PM
Beef Ribs/Pork Ribs Peter Newman Barbecue 4 04-07-2004 07:47 PM