Larry G

Default Ken's 1000 Island Salad Dressing recipe clone?

Does anyone know if there's a recipe clone to Ken's 1000 Island Salad
Dressing? This stuff is great if you haven't tried it. It's slightly more
pink than the other 1000 island dressings and a bit less tart. I'll have to
travel to Massachusetts to try the steakhouse one day if the rest of the
food is as good as the dressings.

Larry

kilikini

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there's a recipe clone to Ken's 1000 Island Salad
> Dressing? This stuff is great if you haven't tried it. It's slightly more
> pink than the other 1000 island dressings and a bit less tart. I'll have

> travel to Massachusetts to try the steakhouse one day if the rest of the
> food is as good as the dressings.
>
> Larry

I love Ken's dressings! 'Bout the best thing regarding my move from Maui to
Florida. Ken's is all I buy. Didn't know there was a real steakhouse
associated with it, though. I'll have to do a google on it. Anyone been
there?

kili

Larry G

"kilikini" > wrote in message ...
> I love Ken's dressings! 'Bout the best thing regarding my move from Maui
> Florida. Ken's is all I buy. Didn't know there was a real steakhouse
> associated with it, though. I'll have to do a google on it. Anyone been
> there?

Yep. http://www.kenssteakhouse.com/

Never been there though. I bet the food is amazing. I'd love to clone the
dressing somehow. I'll still buy the real thing of course. I'd just love to
know how to do it, in case it's ever gone. Great stuff.

Larry

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 09:03:08a, Larry G wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "kilikini" > wrote in message ...
>> I love Ken's dressings! 'Bout the best thing regarding my move from
>> Maui to Florida. Ken's is all I buy. Didn't know there was a real
>> steakhouse associated with it, though. I'll have to do a google on it.
>> Anyone been there?

> Yep. http://www.kenssteakhouse.com/
>
> Never been there though. I bet the food is amazing. I'd love to clone
> the dressing somehow. I'll still buy the real thing of course. I'd just
> love to know how to do it, in case it's ever gone. Great stuff.
>
> Larry

I agree, it's a very good dressing and I used to almost always have it on
hand. Since making my own, however, the freshly made dressing is even
tastier. Lots of recipe on the web and bares experimenting to achieve just
the taste you want. I love it on a big wedge of iceburg lettuce or thick
slabs of beefsteak tomato and sweet onion.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/18/2005 10:19:46 PM

Larry G

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message ...
> I agree, it's a very good dressing and I used to almost always have it on
> hand. Since making my own, however, the freshly made dressing is even
> tastier. Lots of recipe on the web and bares experimenting to achieve
> just
> the taste you want. I love it on a big wedge of iceburg lettuce or thick
> slabs of beefsteak tomato and sweet onion.

That gives me encouragement. I make a mix right now of sour cream,
ketchup, and french onion dip mix. It's a delicious dipping sauce, but
heretofore, I've thought it was probably a bit much to use as a salad
dressing. I guess I'm almost there though. I should market the stuff.

I'll try various mixes of the ingredients and see what I can come up with.
If I can get it as good as Ken's, wonderful! The only thing I can't seem to
get my head around in the various recipes is that a hard boiled egg will
melt or mix into the sauce, but enough of them say this, that it must be
true.

Larry

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 03:10:23a, Larry G wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message ...
>> I agree, it's a very good dressing and I used to almost always have it
>> on hand. Since making my own, however, the freshly made dressing is
>> even tastier. Lots of recipe on the web and bares experimenting to
>> achieve just the taste you want. I love it on a big wedge of iceburg
>> lettuce or thick slabs of beefsteak tomato and sweet onion.

> That gives me encouragement. I make a mix right now of sour cream,
> ketchup, and french onion dip mix. It's a delicious dipping sauce, but
> heretofore, I've thought it was probably a bit much to use as a salad
> dressing. I guess I'm almost there though. I should market the stuff.
>
> I'll try various mixes of the ingredients and see what I can come up
> with. If I can get it as good as Ken's, wonderful! The only thing I
> can't seem to get my head around in the various recipes is that a hard
> boiled egg will melt or mix into the sauce, but enough of them say this,
> that it must be true.
>
> Larry

Larry, try using Heinz Chili Sauce instead of or in addition to the catsup.
Also note that many recipes for thousand island dressing do not call for
hardboiled egg. I often don't use it, but when I do I mash the white and
yolk together very thoroughly with a fork. Finely chopped pickle or well-
drained pickle relish should also be used.

Here's a jumping off point...

Thousand Island Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoons catsup
2 tablespoons chili sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 hardboiled egg,finely mashed with a fork (optional)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon sweet relish, or finely chopped sweet pickle
1 tablespoon finely chopped stuffed green olives

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate at least 2=3
hours before serving.

Some recipes call for plain yoghurt instead of mayonnaise, in which case add
1-2 tablespoons of salad oil. AFAIK, sour cream is not used in Thousand
Island Dressing.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/19/2005 8:14:33 AM

cathyxyz

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Thousand Island Dressing

<snipped recipe>

This sounds very good, Wayne.... printed it out and will try it very soon
Thanks
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 09:19:19a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> Thousand Island Dressing

> <snipped recipe>
>
> This sounds very good, Wayne.... printed it out and will try it very
> soon Thanks
> Cathy

You're welcome. Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/19/2005 9:24:04 AM

Joseph Littleshoes

Larry G wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message ...
> > I agree, it's a very good dressing and I used to almost always have

> it on
> > hand. Since making my own, however, the freshly made dressing is

> even
> > tastier. Lots of recipe on the web and bares experimenting to

> achieve
> > just
> > the taste you want. I love it on a big wedge of iceburg lettuce or

> thick
> > slabs of beefsteak tomato and sweet onion.

> That gives me encouragement. I make a mix right now of sour cream,
> ketchup, and french onion dip mix.

Plain yoghurt, "Pat Chun" Hong Kong garlic chilli sauce (319g for 99
cents) and del monte sweet pickle "relish". A bit of minced onion and a
touch of cumin or anise seed. Sometimes caraway.

Recently got a bottle of vidalia onion salad dressing "on sale" that was
better than i expected it to be, and nothing hydrogenated or hydrolysed
about it.

Though "Garrards" in the triangular bottle is probly my favourite
commercial salad dressing that i use as much as a sauce and marinade as
i do a salad dressing, that is when i buy it, which is rare now a days
as it has gone up to 5 dollar a bottle. And i just wont pay that much
for a vinaigrette that i can make a reasonable facsimile of for less
than a dollar.
---
JL

> It's a delicious dipping sauce, but
> heretofore, I've thought it was probably a bit much to use as a salad
> dressing. I guess I'm almost there though. I should market the stuff.
>
> I'll try various mixes of the ingredients and see what I can come up
> with.
> If I can get it as good as Ken's, wonderful! The only thing I can't
> seem to
> get my head around in the various recipes is that a hard boiled egg
> will
> melt or mix into the sauce, but enough of them say this, that it must
> be
> true.
>
> Larry

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 10:11:04a, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Larry G wrote:
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message ...
>> > I agree, it's a very good dressing and I used to almost always have
>> > it on hand. Since making my own, however, the freshly made dressing
>> > is even tastier. Lots of recipe on the web and bares experimenting
>> > to achieve just the taste you want. I love it on a big wedge of
>> > iceburg lettuce or thick slabs of beefsteak tomato and sweet onion.

>> That gives me encouragement. I make a mix right now of sour cream,
>> ketchup, and french onion dip mix.

> Plain yoghurt, "Pat Chun" Hong Kong garlic chilli sauce (319g for 99
> cents) and del monte sweet pickle "relish". A bit of minced onion and a
> touch of cumin or anise seed. Sometimes caraway.

My apologies, Joseph, but this sounds too far flung from the "original" for
me to think of it as Thousand Island Dressing, albeit it is probably very
tasty.

> Recently got a bottle of vidalia onion salad dressing "on sale" that was
> better than i expected it to be, and nothing hydrogenated or hydrolysed
> about it.

I've never bought a vidalia onion salad dressing, but I do sometimes buy
vidalia onion relish which is very good.

> Though "Garrards" in the triangular bottle is probly my favourite
> commercial salad dressing that i use as much as a sauce and marinade as
> i do a salad dressing, that is when i buy it, which is rare now a days
> as it has gone up to 5 dollar a bottle. And i just wont pay that much
> for a vinaigrette that i can make a reasonable facsimile of for less
> than a dollar.

I've meant to try Garrards ever since you mentioned it once before. Still
haven't gotten around to it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/19/2005 10:38:12 AM

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 19 Jun 2005 10:11:04a, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Larry G wrote:

> have

> dressing

> experimenting

> onion.
> >>
> >> That gives me encouragement. I make a mix right now of sour

> cream,
> >> ketchup, and french onion dip mix.

> > Plain yoghurt, "Pat Chun" Hong Kong garlic chilli sauce (319g for 99

> > cents) and del monte sweet pickle "relish". A bit of minced onion

> and a
> > touch of cumin or anise seed. Sometimes caraway.

> My apologies, Joseph, but this sounds too far flung from the
> "original" for
> me to think of it as Thousand Island Dressing, albeit it is probably
> very
> tasty.

The old recipes i have for 'thousand island' tend to be mildly spicy or
hot, piquant? i ratchet it up a notch.

> > Recently got a bottle of vidalia onion salad dressing "on sale" that

> was
> > better than i expected it to be, and nothing hydrogenated or

> hydrolysed
> > about it.

> I've never bought a vidalia onion salad dressing, but I do sometimes
> buy
> vidalia onion relish which is very good.

Out here in California on the west coast of the U.S. we get a west
Virginian product, "Virginia Brand" vidalia onion salad dressing. I
purchased it for an "elderly relative" and for a commercial product it
is not bad. EDTA & etc. but not hydrolysed or MSG added.

> > Though "Garrards" in the triangular bottle is probly my favourite
> > commercial salad dressing that i use as much as a sauce and marinade

> as
> > i do a salad dressing, that is when i buy it, which is rare now a

> days
> > as it has gone up to 5 dollar a bottle. And i just wont pay that

> much
> > for a vinaigrette that i can make a reasonable facsimile of for less

> > than a dollar.

> I've meant to try Garrards ever since you mentioned it once before.
> Still
> haven't gotten around to it.

I prefer their "Italian" vinaigrette, though the "champagne" and
"French" vinaigrettes are good they are not quite as robust as the
"Italian" the Caesar, a cream dressing i have not tried and they market
an "spinach" vinaigrette that is nothing more than the Italian with a
different name. I do not like there raspberry vinaigrette either.

And to be accurate the bottle can be had for 3 dollars or less,
depending on where one shops. For myself i make a dressing, a
vinaigrette, though i am fond of the hard boiled egg yolk mayo, when i
make a salad. But because of a certain responsibility for an "elderly
relative" i shop for a number of commercial food products that i would
not buy for myself. Cost is not so much an issue as taste and
convenience.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 01:16:23p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> The old recipes i have for 'thousand island' tend to be mildly spicy or
> hot, piquant? i ratchet it up a notch.

I've honestly never seen a thousand island recipe that I really considered
spicy or hot. Most, if fact, have been very mild. Piquant, yes, but
because of the olive and pickle additions. I suppose I've always
considered TID a mild dressing.

> Out here in California on the west coast of the U.S. we get a west
> Virginian product, "Virginia Brand" vidalia onion salad dressing. I
> purchased it for an "elderly relative" and for a commercial product it
> is not bad. EDTA & etc. but not hydrolysed or MSG added.

I would probably like this, but I've never seen it here in AZ.

>> > Though "Garrards" in the triangular bottle is probly my favourite
>> > commercial salad dressing that i use as much as a sauce and marinade
>> > as i do a salad dressing, that is when i buy it, which is rare now a
>> > days as it has gone up to 5 dollar a bottle. And i just wont pay
>> > that much for a vinaigrette that i can make a reasonable facsimile
>> > of for less than a dollar.

> I prefer their "Italian" vinaigrette, though the "champagne" and
> "French" vinaigrettes are good they are not quite as robust as the
> "Italian" the Caesar, a cream dressing i have not tried and they market
> an "spinach" vinaigrette that is nothing more than the Italian with a
> different name. I do not like there raspberry vinaigrette either.
>
> And to be accurate the bottle can be had for 3 dollars or less,
> depending on where one shops. For myself i make a dressing, a
> vinaigrette, though i am fond of the hard boiled egg yolk mayo, when i
> make a salad. But because of a certain responsibility for an "elderly
> relative" i shop for a number of commercial food products that i would
> not buy for myself. Cost is not so much an issue as taste and
> convenience.

I don't think I've seen any of the Garrards dressings for under $4.xx (near
$5) a bottle. That's one of the reasons why I haven't tried one yet. It
does seem rather high to me, especially if I find I don't like it. I'm the
only salad eater in the house, so it could be a not too cheap throw away.

Actually, I rarely buy salad dressings and make most of my own in small
quantities. I do, however, buy the refrigerated Litehouse Chunky Blue
Cheese Dressing. I don't seem to be able to buy the ingredients and make
one any better myself for the money.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/19/2005 2:50:25 PM

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 19 Jun 2005 01:16:23p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
> > And to be accurate the bottle can be had for 3 dollars or less,
> > depending on where one shops.

> I don't think I've seen any of the Garrards dressings for under $4.xx
> (near
> $5) a bottle. That's one of the reasons why I haven't tried one yet.
> It
> does seem rather high to me, especially if I find I don't like it.
> I'm the
> only salad eater in the house, so it could be a not too cheap throw
> away.

I originally preferred the garrards French vinaigrette, but the person i
buy it for likes the slightly sweeter Italian. It is a decent
vinaigrette. But i can make a very good one. I base mine on the
instructions Julia Child gives in "Mastering the art of French cooking"
and always try to make it at least an hour in advance of serving it.

I first bought garrards on sale expecting it to be the abomination every
other bottled salad dressing, with the exception of Marie's, i had ever
tried. Avocado oil and lime juice with a bit of freshly crumbled blue
cheese is standard for me

>Actually, I rarely buy salad dressings and make most of my own in small

> quantities. I do, however, buy the refrigerated Litehouse Chunky Blue
>
> Cheese Dressing. I don't seem to be able to buy the ingredients and
> make
> one any better myself for the money.

Have you tried buttermilk, yoghurt, garlic and blue cheese? I do not
have a precise recipe i do it from memory and to taste going heavy on
the garlic and blue cheese. Though the "Marie's" brand of roquefort
salad dressing is acceptable i much prefer to make my own, which though
rare these days i do at least every other month or so, in limited
quantities as i have a tendency to eat the blue cheese with a spoon
before it ever gets any where near a recipe.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 09:19:28p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I originally preferred the garrards French vinaigrette, but the person i
> buy it for likes the slightly sweeter Italian. It is a decent
> vinaigrette. But i can make a very good one. I base mine on the
> instructions Julia Child gives in "Mastering the art of French cooking"
> and always try to make it at least an hour in advance of serving it.

I often use that recipe from Julia Child. It's a favorite, along with my
own variations.

> I first bought garrards on sale expecting it to be the abomination every
> other bottled salad dressing, with the exception of Marie's, i had ever
> tried. Avocado oil and lime juice with a bit of freshly crumbled blue
> cheese is standard for me

Now that sounds like an interesting combination!

> Have you tried buttermilk, yoghurt, garlic and blue cheese? I do not
> have a precise recipe i do it from memory and to taste going heavy on
> the garlic and blue cheese. Though the "Marie's" brand of roquefort
> salad dressing is acceptable i much prefer to make my own, which though
> rare these days i do at least every other month or so, in limited
> quantities as i have a tendency to eat the blue cheese with a spoon
> before it ever gets any where near a recipe.

I've never tried that particular combination. Now that you've suggested
it, I will surely try it. Mine, too, would be heavy on the garlic and blue
cheese!

Have you ever tried crumbled blue cheese and fresh sliced sauteed garlic on
pizza? It's wonderful!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/19/2005 9:53:36 PM

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 19 Jun 2005 09:19:28p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I originally preferred the garrards French vinaigrette, but the

> person i
> > buy it for likes the slightly sweeter Italian. It is a decent
> > vinaigrette. But i can make a very good one. I base mine on the
> > instructions Julia Child gives in "Mastering the art of French

> cooking"
> > and always try to make it at least an hour in advance of serving it.

> I often use that recipe from Julia Child. It's a favorite, along with
> my
> own variations.
>
> > I first bought garrards on sale expecting it to be the abomination

> every
> > other bottled salad dressing, with the exception of Marie's, i had

> ever
> > tried. Avocado oil and lime juice with a bit of freshly crumbled

> blue
> > cheese is standard for me

> Now that sounds like an interesting combination!

A friend turned me on to it and i now buy avocado oil just for salad
dressing. Heretical as it is i do not like olive oil. Freshly squeezed
lemon or even orange juice is quite good with it. The person who first
served it me spends a lot of time in south America and i seem to recall
him telling me that it is very common there.

> > Have you tried buttermilk, yoghurt, garlic and blue cheese? I do

> not
> > have a precise recipe i do it from memory and to taste going heavy

> on
> > the garlic and blue cheese. Though the "Marie's" brand of roquefort

> > salad dressing is acceptable i much prefer to make my own, which

> though
> > rare these days i do at least every other month or so, in limited
> > quantities as i have a tendency to eat the blue cheese with a spoon

> > before it ever gets any where near a recipe.

> I've never tried that particular combination. Now that you've
> suggested
> it, I will surely try it. Mine, too, would be heavy on the garlic and
> blue
> cheese!
>
> Have you ever tried crumbled blue cheese and fresh sliced sauteed
> garlic on
> pizza? It's wonderful!

I make the occasional quiche but i do not think i have ever actually
made a pizza. But i do love thinly sliced garlic sautéed in canola oil
till it gets golden brown on the out side and nicely crisp, then i mix
it in to the blue cheese with finely minced raw onion and depending on
how i serve it, i might thin it out a little bit with yoghurt or butter
milk to use as a dip, or, form the blue cheese into a ball and roll it
about in the the crisp fried garlic to coat it, chill and serve with a
knife to slice it for spreading on bread or crackers.

Some times when i have some pancette i make little pancetta "bags" full
of blue cheese and tied with a green onion stalk, sautéed in canola oil
till the panacea i nicely browned and the cheese is melty. I saw either
Julia Child or Lydia Bianicci do it with parmesan on one of the t.v.
shows. As long as the pancette "bags" are firmly tied its very easy to
make and very, very good. Of course one rubs the pancetta with garlic,
and a thin sliver or two in each bag is a nice addition though the
garlic can be sautéed in the oil with the bags and a roux & sauce then
made from the garlic flavoured oil, or just drizzle some of the cooked
garlic & oil over the bags
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 10:49:34p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> A friend turned me on to it and i now buy avocado oil just for salad
> dressing. Heretical as it is i do not like olive oil. Freshly squeezed
> lemon or even orange juice is quite good with it. The person who first
> served it me spends a lot of time in south America and i seem to recall
> him telling me that it is very common there.

I've never used avocado oil before, but having read this I intend to try
it. I use a lot of fresh limes as well as lemons.

> I make the occasional quiche but i do not think i have ever actually
> made a pizza. But i do love thinly sliced garlic sautéed in canola oil
> till it gets golden brown on the out side and nicely crisp, then i mix
> it in to the blue cheese with finely minced raw onion and depending on
> how i serve it, i might thin it out a little bit with yoghurt or butter
> milk to use as a dip, or, form the blue cheese into a ball and roll it
> about in the the crisp fried garlic to coat it, chill and serve with a
> knife to slice it for spreading on bread or crackers.

That sounds really good as well. I've clipped the description for future
use. I also like to sauté sliced garlic to toss with hot pasta, snipped
parsley and unsalted butter. I can easily make a meal on that!

> Some times when i have some pancette i make little pancetta "bags" full
> of blue cheese and tied with a green onion stalk, sautéed in canola oil
> till the panacea i nicely browned and the cheese is melty. I saw either
> Julia Child or Lydia Bianicci do it with parmesan on one of the t.v.
> shows. As long as the pancette "bags" are firmly tied its very easy to
> make and very, very good. Of course one rubs the pancetta with garlic,
> and a thin sliver or two in each bag is a nice addition though the
> garlic can be sautéed in the oil with the bags and a roux & sauce then
> made from the garlic flavoured oil, or just drizzle some of the cooked
> garlic & oil over the bags

Now that sounds delightful, but I know I don't have the patience to
assemble something like that.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 19 Jun 2005 10:49:34p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > A friend turned me on to it and i now buy avocado oil just for salad

> > dressing. Heretical as it is i do not like olive oil. Freshly

> squeezed
> > lemon or even orange juice is quite good with it. The person who

> first
> > served it me spends a lot of time in south America and i seem to

> recall
> > him telling me that it is very common there.

> I've never used avocado oil before, but having read this I intend to
> try
> it. I use a lot of fresh limes as well as lemons.
>
> > I make the occasional quiche but i do not think i have ever actually

> > made a pizza. But i do love thinly sliced garlic sautéed in canola

> oil
> > till it gets golden brown on the out side and nicely crisp, then i

> mix
> > it in to the blue cheese with finely minced raw onion and depending

> on
> > how i serve it, i might thin it out a little bit with yoghurt or

> butter
> > milk to use as a dip, or, form the blue cheese into a ball and roll

> it
> > about in the the crisp fried garlic to coat it, chill and serve

> with a
> > knife to slice it for spreading on bread or crackers.

> That sounds really good as well. I've clipped the description for
> future
> use. I also like to sauté sliced garlic to toss with hot pasta,
> snipped
> parsley and unsalted butter. I can easily make a meal on that!

I am very fond of the garlic pasta. After plating the pasta and the
sautéed garlic with a bit of the cooking oil i then sprinkle it with
apple cider vinegar or sometimes a white wine vinegar or a vinigrette.
I am very fond of a vinaigrette as a pasta sauce.

One time i was out of cooking oil and used the Garrards we have spoken
of to sauté ground turkey with. It was very good.

> > Some times when i have some pancette i make little pancetta "bags"

> full
> > of blue cheese and tied with a green onion stalk, sautéed in canola

> oil
> > till the panacea i nicely browned and the cheese is melty. I saw

> either
> > Julia Child or Lydia Bianicci do it with parmesan on one of the t.v.

> > shows. As long as the pancette "bags" are firmly tied its very easy

> > make and very, very good. Of course one rubs the pancetta with

> garlic,
> > and a thin sliver or two in each bag is a nice addition though the
> > garlic can be sautéed in the oil with the bags and a roux & sauce

> then
> > made from the garlic flavoured oil, or just drizzle some of the

> cooked
> > garlic & oil over the bags

> Now that sounds delightful, but I know I don't have the patience to
> assemble something like that.

Once i saw it demonstrated i just had to try it, and with my addiction
to blue cheese there was no way i was going to use parmesan, it took me
a couple of tries to get the bag correctly sealed but it was not at all
difficult and they can cook up on a back burner with little supervision
and make a very nice appetizer.

It is important to gather up the sides of the pancetta and tie the top
shut and try not to cook the green onion stem as it gets weak and falls
off, i tried making little Asian type square boxes rather than bag like
containers and tying the green onion all the way around it but it falls
apart if the green onion stalk gets cooked.

I have done this with sharp cheddar and garlic and oregano which is very
good but i still like the blue cheese filling best. I am tempted to try
it with brie but have not done so yet.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 03:14:46p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I am very fond of the garlic pasta. After plating the pasta and the
> sautéed garlic with a bit of the cooking oil i then sprinkle it with
> apple cider vinegar or sometimes a white wine vinegar or a vinigrette.
> I am very fond of a vinaigrette as a pasta sauce.

I'll have to try a sprinkling of vinegar. Sounds interesting.

> One time i was out of cooking oil and used the Garrards we have spoken
> of to sauté ground turkey with. It was very good.

You lost me on that one. I detest turkey, especially ground turkey. No
one could disguise it well enough for me to eat it. :-)

> Once i saw it demonstrated i just had to try it, and with my addiction
> to blue cheese there was no way i was going to use parmesan, it took me
> a couple of tries to get the bag correctly sealed but it was not at all
> difficult and they can cook up on a back burner with little supervision
> and make a very nice appetizer.
>
> It is important to gather up the sides of the pancetta and tie the top
> shut and try not to cook the green onion stem as it gets weak and falls
> off, i tried making little Asian type square boxes rather than bag like
> containers and tying the green onion all the way around it but it falls
> apart if the green onion stalk gets cooked.
>
> I have done this with sharp cheddar and garlic and oregano which is very
> good but i still like the blue cheese filling best. I am tempted to try
> it with brie but have not done so yet.

I would love any of the variations you mentioned, and I'm sure I'd like the
brie as well. I would certainly eat any of them! However, I fear that
would never go through the tedium of making them.

It's funny, I don't mind spending hours on certain cooking projects, for
example, several times a year I make a Melton Mowbry Pie, but others strike
me in a way that I don't want to bother.

> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0525-0, 06/20/2005
> Tested on: 6/20/2005 7:53:03 PM

Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-0, 06/20/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 8:18:06 PM

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 20 Jun 2005 03:14:46p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I am very fond of the garlic pasta. After plating the pasta and the

> > sautéed garlic with a bit of the cooking oil i then sprinkle it with

> > apple cider vinegar or sometimes a white wine vinegar or a

> vinigrette.
> > I am very fond of a vinaigrette as a pasta sauce.
> >

> I'll have to try a sprinkling of vinegar. Sounds interesting.

I tried a balsamic vinegar once but did not care for it, seemed to
obsfucate the garlic.

> > One time i was out of cooking oil and used the Garrards we have

> spoken
> > of to sauté ground turkey with. It was very good.

> You lost me on that one. I detest turkey, especially ground turkey.
> No
> one could disguise it well enough for me to eat it. :-)

I do not routinely use "ground meat" for myself, but, as previously
mentioned, i cook for another person who prefers ground turkey to ground
beef. Who finds it difficult to eat non ground animal flesh. Who uses
a food processor to mince the salad to make it more "toothsome" for
themselves. Bad teeth.

> > Once i saw it demonstrated i just had to try it, and with my

> addiction
> > to blue cheese there was no way i was going to use parmesan, it took

> me
> > a couple of tries to get the bag correctly sealed but it was not at

> all
> > difficult and they can cook up on a back burner with little

> supervision
> > and make a very nice appetizer.
> >
> > It is important to gather up the sides of the pancetta and tie the

> top
> > shut and try not to cook the green onion stem as it gets weak and

> falls
> > off, i tried making little Asian type square boxes rather than bag

> like
> > containers and tying the green onion all the way around it but it

> falls
> > apart if the green onion stalk gets cooked.
> >
> > I have done this with sharp cheddar and garlic and oregano which is

> very
> > good but i still like the blue cheese filling best. I am tempted to

> try
> > it with brie but have not done so yet.

> I would love any of the variations you mentioned, and I'm sure I'd
> like the
> brie as well. I would certainly eat any of them! However, I fear
> that
> would never go through the tedium of making them.

I seriously dis like prep works, but the above recipe is simplicity
itself.

> It's funny, I don't mind spending hours on certain cooking projects,
> for
> example, several times a year I make a Melton Mowbry Pie, but others
> strike
> me in a way that I don't want to bother.

There is a new one for me "Melton Mowbry Pie" never 'erd of such a
thing.

Recipe please?

> > ---
> > Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 10:13:05p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> There is a new one for me "Melton Mowbry Pie" never 'erd of such a
> thing.
>
> Recipe please?

'ere ya go... The Melton Mowbray Pie goes back hundreds of years in
English history, and is still very popular today in the UK, but most people
buy them ready to eat from shops that specialize in them.

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

Stock
1 pound Meaty pork bones
1 pound Meaty veal bones
1 each Large onion, quartered
1 each Large bay leaf
6 cups Water

Simmer together slowly for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until liquid is reduced to
3 cups. Cool, degrease, and refrigerate until it starts to jell.

Filling
1 pound lean pork shoulder, cut in ¼" dice
1 pound Veal shoulder, cut in ¼" dice
½ pound Ham, uncooked, cut in ¼" dice
3 each Rashers bacon, finely diced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Fresh sage, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Fresh marjoram, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Anchovy paste
½ teaspoon Dry mustard
½ teaspoon Ground mace
½ teaspoon Ground allspice

Combine all ingredients and moisten with ½ cup jellied stock.

Raised Pastry
1 pound Plain flour
½ pound Leaf lard
1 teaspoon Salt
1 each Egg yolk
½ cup Rich milk

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Rub 2 ounces of the lard
into the flour mixture until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs. Make a
well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg yolk. Gently heat
the remaining lard in the milk until it is melted. Pour lard mixture into
the well while stirring with a wooden spoon. Work into a soft, pliable but
not sticky ball of dough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead
until it is smooth and elastic. Cover and leave to rest in a warm place
for 20-30 minutes.

Assembly

To make the casing or "coffin", roll out three-quarters of the dough into a
circle ¾" thick. Flour the outside of a straight-sided tin and stand it in
the center of the dough. Work the dough up the sides of the tin, place on
a rimmed baking sheet, and gently remove the tin leaving a raised pie
casing.

Fill the casing immediately with the meat mixture as it is likely to
collapse otherwise. Roll out the remaining dough into a circle slightly
larger than the diameter of the casing , to form the lid.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Dampen the top edge of the pie and gently press on
the lid. Crimp the edge. Make a hole in the center of the lid and
decorate it with pastry leaves. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes,
then reduce the heat to 300°F and bake for an additional 2-1/4 hours.
Remove from oven, brush top and sides of casing with beaten egg and return
to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until well browned. Remove from oven and
leave until almost cold.

Heat the remaining stock in a saucepan, then allow to cool slightly. Pour
liquid through the hold in the pastry lid. It may not take all the stock.
Leave in a cool place overnight. (Do not refrigerate). Serve cut in thick
slices.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 20 Jun 2005 10:13:05p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
>> There is a new one for me "Melton Mowbry Pie" never 'erd of such a
>> thing.
>>
>> Recipe please?
>>

> 'ere ya go... The Melton Mowbray Pie goes back hundreds of years in
> English history, and is still very popular today in the UK, but most
> people
> buy them ready to eat from shops that specialize in them.
>
> Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

It is years since I made one Wayne You have go me enthused again I
have to confess... I buy mine ready made

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 21 Jun 2005 09:21:03a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Mon 20 Jun 2005 10:13:05p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> There is a new one for me "Melton Mowbry Pie" never 'erd of such a
>>> thing.
>>>
>>> Recipe please?
>>>

>> 'ere ya go... The Melton Mowbray Pie goes back hundreds of years in
>> English history, and is still very popular today in the UK, but most
>> people buy them ready to eat from shops that specialize in them.
>>
>> Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

> It is years since I made one Wayne You have go me enthused again I
> have to confess... I buy mine ready made

LOL! Trust me, Ophelia, if I could buy one ready made, I would. As you
well know from making them, it's a bit of work. :-) But there's really
nothing quite like a MMPP. How does this particular recipe sound to you?
A friend from Leichestershire gave it to me years ago.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 21 Jun 2005 09:21:03a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon 20 Jun 2005 10:13:05p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
>>> rec.food.cooking:

>>> 'ere ya go... The Melton Mowbray Pie goes back hundreds of years in
>>> English history, and is still very popular today in the UK, but most
>>> people buy them ready to eat from shops that specialize in them.
>>>
>>> Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

>> It is years since I made one Wayne You have go me enthused again
>> have to confess... I buy mine ready made

> LOL! Trust me, Ophelia, if I could buy one ready made, I would. As
> you
> well know from making them, it's a bit of work. :-) But there's
> really
> nothing quite like a MMPP. How does this particular recipe sound to
> you?
> A friend from Leichestershire gave it to me years ago.

Sounds great to me I did save your recipe and one of these
days........................)

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 20 Jun 2005 10:13:05p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > There is a new one for me "Melton Mowbry Pie" never 'erd of such a
> > thing.
> >
> > Recipe please?
> >

> 'ere ya go... The Melton Mowbray Pie goes back hundreds of years in
> English history, and is still very popular today in the UK, but most
> people
> buy them ready to eat from shops that specialize in them.

Reminds me of an Italian recipe i cant recall the name of (torte
Milinase?), in which thinly sliced meat is layered with sliced cheeses &
the other ingredients & flavourings in a pie case that use a spring form
pan rather than a pie pan.

I will ask our local gourmet shop if they can get the premade Melton
Mowbray. Does it come in a metal tin? I know i have seen imported
English meat pies in metal tins over here, the demon barber of fleet
street not withstanding.

I am tempted to adapted your recipe to the American "meat loaf" using
ground rather than diced meat.

Here's a version of an English pork pie i occasionally make.

Pork Pie
-----------

Completely cover the bottom and sides of a pie dish with thin slices of
raw ham and prepare, for a medium sized dish 1 lb. 5 oz small thickish
slices of fresh pork, seasoned with salt and pepper and sprinkled with 2
oz dried duxelle and a pinch of chopped parsley and sage, 1 lb. 2 oz
raw, sliced potatoes and 7 oz chopped onion.

Fill the prepared pie dish with alternate layers of the pork, potatoes
and chopped onion finishing with pork. Add 5 fluid oz of good meat
stock, cover with a layer of short paste or puff paste and seal to the
edges of the dish. Brush with beaten egg , decorate by lightly scoring
with a fork, bake in a moderate oven for approximately 2 hours.
-------

Sometimes i add paper thin slices of pancetta with the slcied potatoes
for potatoes anna.
---
JL

> [...]
> minutes,
> then reduce the heat to 300°F and bake for an additional 2-1/4 hours.
> Remove from oven, brush top and sides of casing with beaten egg and
> return
> to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until well browned. Remove from oven
> and
> leave until almost cold.
>
> Heat the remaining stock in a saucepan, then allow to cool slightly.
> Pour
> liquid through the hold in the pastry lid. It may not take all the
> stock.
> Leave in a cool place overnight. (Do not refrigerate). Serve cut in
> thick
> slices.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.

Arri London

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > On Mon 20 Jun 2005 10:13:05p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> > rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > There is a new one for me "Melton Mowbry Pie" never 'erd of such a
> > > thing.
> > >
> > > Recipe please?
> > >

> > 'ere ya go... The Melton Mowbray Pie goes back hundreds of years in
> > English history, and is still very popular today in the UK, but most
> > people
> > buy them ready to eat from shops that specialize in them.

> Reminds me of an Italian recipe i cant recall the name of (torte
> Milinase?), in which thinly sliced meat is layered with sliced cheeses &
> the other ingredients & flavourings in a pie case that use a spring form
> pan rather than a pie pan.
>
> I will ask our local gourmet shop if they can get the premade Melton
> Mowbray. Does it come in a metal tin? I know i have seen imported
> English meat pies in metal tins over here, the demon barber of fleet
> street not withstanding.

No. A real Melton Mowbray pork pie is a stand alone item. It's a
hand-raised pie, which means it isn't formed in a pie dish.

> [...]
> > minutes,
> > then reduce the heat to 300°F and bake for an additional 2-1/4 hours.
> > Remove from oven, brush top and sides of casing with beaten egg and
> > return
> > to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until well browned. Remove from oven
> > and
> > leave until almost cold.
> >
> > Heat the remaining stock in a saucepan, then allow to cool slightly.
> > Pour
> > liquid through the hold in the pastry lid. It may not take all the
> > stock.
> > Leave in a cool place overnight. (Do not refrigerate). Serve cut in
> > thick
> > slices.
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
> >
> > Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 22 Jun 2005 03:19:19p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Reminds me of an Italian recipe i cant recall the name of (torte
> Milinase?), in which thinly sliced meat is layered with sliced cheeses &
> the other ingredients & flavourings in a pie case that use a spring form
> pan rather than a pie pan.
>
> I will ask our local gourmet shop if they can get the premade Melton
> Mowbray. Does it come in a metal tin? I know i have seen imported
> English meat pies in metal tins over here, the demon barber of fleet
> street not withstanding.

I've never purchased a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie in the US; however, when
they're sold in shops in the UK they are not in a tin. The pastry is
called a raised pastry because it's formed and shaped by hand, often over a
mold which is removed before filling and baking. "Raised pastry" has
nothing to do with leavining or yeast. Also, it is never baked in any kind
of container, only on a baking sheet.

I suppose if there are any exports available, they might have to be put in
a sealed tin. I've never seen one.

> I am tempted to adapted your recipe to the American "meat loaf" using
> ground rather than diced meat.

With all due respect, if I wanted "hamburger" or "meatloaf", that's what
I'd make and eat. You either want a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie or you want
something else. It ceases to be that when you meddle with it too much.

> Here's a version of an English pork pie i occasionally make.
>
> Pork Pie
> -----------
>
> Completely cover the bottom and sides of a pie dish with thin slices of
> raw ham and prepare, for a medium sized dish 1 lb. 5 oz small thickish
> slices of fresh pork, seasoned with salt and pepper and sprinkled with 2
> oz dried duxelle and a pinch of chopped parsley and sage, 1 lb. 2 oz
> raw, sliced potatoes and 7 oz chopped onion.
>
> Fill the prepared pie dish with alternate layers of the pork, potatoes
> and chopped onion finishing with pork. Add 5 fluid oz of good meat
> stock, cover with a layer of short paste or puff paste and seal to the
> edges of the dish. Brush with beaten egg , decorate by lightly scoring
> with a fork, bake in a moderate oven for approximately 2 hours.
> -------

That sounds rather good. There are countless recipes for English pork pies
around, most good, but some not so good. I've tried quite a few over the
years and I've never made one I didn't like.

> Sometimes i add paper thin slices of pancetta with the slcied potatoes
> for potatoes anna.
> ---

I love potatoes anna, in fact, even, made a special effort to buy a
beautiful copper potatoes anna pan years ago. The pancetta is probably a
very nice addition.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-2, 06/22/2005
Tested on: 6/22/2005 7:33:47 PM

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 22 Jun 2005 03:19:19p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I am tempted to adapted your recipe to the American "meat loaf"

> using
> > ground rather than diced meat.

> With all due respect, if I wanted "hamburger" or "meatloaf", that's
> what
> I'd make and eat. You either want a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie or you
> want
> something else. It ceases to be that when you meddle with it too
> much.

I just liked the combinaton of meats and spices you posted, IMO it looks
like it would be good as a meat loaf. I would grind my own meats rather
than buy "hamburger".
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 22 Jun 2005 11:22:51p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Wed 22 Jun 2005 03:19:19p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > I am tempted to adapted your recipe to the American "meat loaf"
>> > using ground rather than diced meat.

>> With all due respect, if I wanted "hamburger" or "meatloaf", that's
>> what I'd make and eat. You either want a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie or
>> you want something else. It ceases to be that when you meddle with it
>> too much.

> I just liked the combinaton of meats and spices you posted, IMO it looks
> like it would be good as a meat loaf. I would grind my own meats rather
> than buy "hamburger".
> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes

Joseph, I guess I misunderstood. I would agree that the combination of
meats and spices could make a good meatloaf. I thought you meant to put
ground mixture into a pie casing. I wouldn't be tempted to do that. Now
that you mention, I think I might give a meatloaf like that a try as well!

Thanks for the idea, and sorry that I misunderstood.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-2, 06/22/2005
Tested on: 6/22/2005 11:49:28 PM

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 22 Jun 2005 11:22:51p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed 22 Jun 2005 03:19:19p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> >> rec.food.cooking:

> >> With all due respect, if I wanted "hamburger" or "meatloaf", that's

> >> what I'd make and eat. You either want a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

> or
> >> you want something else. It ceases to be that when you meddle with

> it
> >> too much.

> > I just liked the combinaton of meats and spices you posted, IMO it

> looks
> > like it would be good as a meat loaf. I would grind my own meats

> rather
> > than buy "hamburger".
> > ---
> > Joseph Littleshoes

> Joseph, I guess I misunderstood. I would agree that the combination
> of
> meats and spices could make a good meatloaf. I thought you meant to
> put
> ground mixture into a pie casing. I wouldn't be tempted to do that.
> Now
> that you mention, I think I might give a meatloaf like that a try as
> well!
>
> Thanks for the idea, and sorry that I misunderstood.

Not a problem Wayne, an honest misunderstanding can usually be cleared
up.

Ever sense finding Leah Wolf's meat loaf recipe in her "Jewish Cookery"
years ago, i have been a convert to meat loaf. There is a rather
extensive thread in the alt.cooking-chat group that can be found with a
google group search on joseph+littleshoes+meatloaf, the thread should
include my ratatouille meat loaf recipe made with big slices of egg
plant.

6 - 8 months ago i had to replace my gas stove and had to use the
microwave for a few days for all my cooking, i made a meat loaf in it
that was very interesting as the microwave does not produce the, iirc,
malliard reaction, the "browning" of the meat. I can not claim it was
better than oven baked but it is just different enough to make it into
my repertoire.
---
JL

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 23 Jun 2005 12:55:01a, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Wed 22 Jun 2005 11:22:51p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:

>> > I just liked the combinaton of meats and spices you posted, IMO it
>> > looks like it would be good as a meat loaf. I would grind my own
>> > meats rather than buy "hamburger".
>> > ---
>> > Joseph Littleshoes

>> Joseph, I guess I misunderstood. I would agree that the combination
>> of meats and spices could make a good meatloaf. I thought you meant
>> to put ground mixture into a pie casing. I wouldn't be tempted to do
>> that. Now
>> that you mention, I think I might give a meatloaf like that a try as
>> well!
>>
>> Thanks for the idea, and sorry that I misunderstood.

> Not a problem Wayne, an honest misunderstanding can usually be cleared
> up.
>
> Ever sense finding Leah Wolf's meat loaf recipe in her "Jewish Cookery"
> years ago, i have been a convert to meat loaf. There is a rather
> extensive thread in the alt.cooking-chat group that can be found with a
> google group search on joseph+littleshoes+meatloaf, the thread should
> include my ratatouille meat loaf recipe made with big slices of egg
> plant.

I'll take a look. I love eggplant, but don't seem to have it as often as
I'd like.

> 6 - 8 months ago i had to replace my gas stove and had to use the
> microwave for a few days for all my cooking, i made a meat loaf in it
> that was very interesting as the microwave does not produce the, iirc,
> malliard reaction, the "browning" of the meat. I can not claim it was
> better than oven baked but it is just different enough to make it into
> my repertoire.
> ---

You're right, at least not in the usual sense. I had to make a meatloaf in
the microwave once and laid rashers of bacon over the top. The high fat
content does achieve a browning effect, even on the surface of the loaf.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-3, 06/23/2005
Tested on: 6/23/2005 9:43:33 AM

Joseph Littleshoes

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 23 Jun 2005 12:55:01a, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed 22 Jun 2005 11:22:51p, Joseph Littleshoes wrote in
> >> rec.food.cooking:

> loaf"

> that's

> Pie

> meddle

> it

> >> Joseph, I guess I misunderstood. I would agree that the

> combination
> >> of meats and spices could make a good meatloaf. I thought you

> meant
> >> to put ground mixture into a pie casing. I wouldn't be tempted to

> do
> >> that. Now
> >> that you mention, I think I might give a meatloaf like that a try

> as
> >> well!
> >>
> >> Thanks for the idea, and sorry that I misunderstood.

> > Not a problem Wayne, an honest misunderstanding can usually be

> cleared
> > up.
> >
> > Ever sense finding Leah Wolf's meat loaf recipe in her "Jewish

> Cookery"
> > years ago, i have been a convert to meat loaf. There is a rather
> > extensive thread in the alt.cooking-chat group that can be found

> with a
> > google group search on joseph+littleshoes+meatloaf, the thread

> should
> > include my ratatouille meat loaf recipe made with big slices of egg
> > plant.

> I'll take a look. I love eggplant, but don't seem to have it as often
> as
> I'd like.
>
> > 6 - 8 months ago i had to replace my gas stove and had to use the
> > microwave for a few days for all my cooking, i made a meat loaf in

> it
> > that was very interesting as the microwave does not produce the,

> iirc,
> > malliard reaction, the "browning" of the meat. I can not claim it

> was
> > better than oven baked but it is just different enough to make it

> into
> > my repertoire.
> > ---

> You're right, at least not in the usual sense. I had to make a
> meatloaf in
> the microwave once and laid rashers of bacon over the top. The high
> fat
> content does achieve a browning effect, even on the surface of the
> loaf.

One time while visiting friends i was asked to make one of my meat
loaves and went to a market and bought a pound or so of "ground beef".
The meat loaf, cooked with bacon over the top in a gas oven was
indescribably delicious. So good we ate the whole thing in one
setting. One of those "just one more bite" things till it was all gone.

It was so good it got me thinking about it. It was a more or less
standard recipe i can make blindfolded and could not figure out why it
was so good, it did not even have any ground veal or pork in it, just
veggies & seasonings. I was stumped until helping to clean up i noticed
the wrapper from the "ground beef" and upon examination found i had made
the meat loaf with ground sirloin.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

sf

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:55:01 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Ever sense finding Leah Wolf's meat loaf recipe in her "Jewish Cookery"
> years ago, i have been a convert to meat loaf. There is a rather
> extensive thread in the alt.cooking-chat group that can be found with a
> google group search on joseph+littleshoes+meatloaf, the thread should
> include my ratatouille meat loaf recipe made with big slices of egg
> plant.

I just happen to have 3 medium sized eggplants sitting on the
counter and was thinking about ratatouille.... but maybe I'll give
that meatloaf a try instead.

I found the recipe, so I'll post it for you in a new thread.