Fudge

Default British Ban Canadian Saskatoon Berry Products

Seems the British have banned Canadian made jams, jellies and syrups
containing Saskatoon berries. They think there is something harmful in the
berries? The Queen and her offspring have gobbled down large quantities of
this prairie delicacy during their time at the trough here in Canada. If
such a product is fit for the Queen of England, surely Saskatoon berries can
be consumed by the peasants. Something is wrong here.

Farmer John

Matt

"Fudge" > wrote in message
.. .
> Seems the British have banned Canadian made jams, jellies and syrups
> containing Saskatoon berries. They think there is something harmful in the
> berries? The Queen and her offspring have gobbled down large quantities of
> this prairie delicacy during their time at the trough here in Canada. If
> such a product is fit for the Queen of England, surely Saskatoon berries

can
> be consumed by the peasants. Something is wrong here.
>
> Farmer John

My understanding was that the ban only existed when they first tried to sell
the Saskatoon berries there because " it [Britain] says there is no history
of the fruit being eaten safely in Europe. " There was a trade meeting last
Thursday and as of today the berries can be imported into Europe but only
with a "Novel" designation attached. Canada is currently working to get
around that, too.

See http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/040422/w042252.html

-Matt

Arri London

Fudge wrote:

> Seems the British have banned Canadian made jams, jellies and syrups
> containing Saskatoon berries. They think there is something harmful in the
> berries? The Queen and her offspring have gobbled down large quantities of
> this prairie delicacy during their time at the trough here in Canada. If
> such a product is fit for the Queen of England, surely Saskatoon berries can
> be consumed by the peasants. Something is wrong here.
>
> Farmer John

And the Canadians have never banned any foods from being imported from
other countries?
Perhaps they are banned because the Queen ate them and didn't consider
them fit for import
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:13:31 -0400, Fudge wrote:

> They think there is something harmful in the
> berries? The Queen and her offspring have gobbled down large quantities of
> this prairie delicacy during their time at the trough here in Canada.

There's the proof that it's harmful.
--
Tim C.
A mukluk wearing troll

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:13:31 -0400, "Fudge" > wrote:

> Seems the British have banned Canadian made jams, jellies and syrups
>containing Saskatoon berries. They think there is something harmful in the
>berries? The Queen and her offspring have gobbled down large quantities of
>this prairie delicacy during their time at the trough here in Canada. If
>such a product is fit for the Queen of England, surely Saskatoon berries can
>be consumed by the peasants. Something is wrong here.

<shrug> Just a new-to-them food having to be passed through a few
hoops. For any Europeans reading the group, run don't walk to your
nearest vendor. They are a yummy, nutriious sour-sweet berry that has
been eaten for tens of thousands of years by the original peoples of
North America. They make excellent jams, are wonderful in crisps and
baked desserts, in muffins, raw, dried, in trail mixes and as fruit
wine(!). I airfreight a twenty pound flat from Lethbridge to Toronto
every August.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario.

Candy Assed Canadian John Kinal Still Spamming US Politics Over Canadian Government - God does tell that Satanic enemies of Life do exist, And Other Lies By John Kinal, Sociopathic Canadian Newsgroup Terrorist First-Post General Cooking 0 04-09-2016 12:10 AM
British Tea Christopher Richards Tea 1 14-12-2005 01:12 PM
Canadian foodie expression as per the Canadian Oxford alsandor General Cooking 0 09-12-2005 03:50 PM
looking for supplier - water purification products: General Ecology Seagull IV model x1f and x1d, rs1sg cartridge, rs2sg cartridge, and other products Edward Bertsch Marketplace 1 04-09-2005 12:34 AM
"Berry, berry good" Mike General Cooking 10 15-03-2004 07:18 PM