Gary

Default Pork roast steaks - how to make them taste good?

I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
grilled one the other night.

Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.

Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?
Peter Aitken

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> grilled one the other night.
>
> Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>
> Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

First of all get good pork. The standard supermarket factory pork has been
bred to be low fat and is not particularly tasty. You can get good pork at
Whole Foods or better yet at a local farmers' market. Then brine it. Yuo can
make the Chnese BBQ pork at home - it's called Cha Shu (or Char Shu
sometimes). You can find recipes on the web, or buy a seasoning packet at a
Chinese market.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

> Gary gary_w1 wrote:
>
>I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
>grilled one the other night.
>
>Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>
>Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

Pound the shit outta them... that's right, pound them until they're about 3/16"
thick (cutlets). Then dust with seasoned flour and fry quickly, no more than
one minute per side (great in a sammiche with sauted peppers). Or coat
liberally with fresh cracked pepper, fry as per previous instructions, then
prepare a sauce from pan fond using lots of fresh lemon juice... or bread n'
fry... or prepare em a la parm.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Gary > wrote:

>I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
>grilled one the other night.
>
>Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>
>Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

The easiest but most expensive way is to start with a heritage pig
(I.E. traditional breed) that wanders around rooting. That will take
care of it.

I imagine those Spanish pigs that eat acorns all day to make Serranno
(sp?) ham would probably make a good steak or loin roast as well.

To make modern supermarket pork taste like anything you can use a dry
marinade or rub a day or so before. It will be edible but still not as
good.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer

Brutal dictators are routinely reelected by 90+%
margins. Only in a truly advanced democracy can
one win an election by a negative 600,000 votes.
David Hare-Scott

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> grilled one the other night.
>
> Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>
> Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

For a more occidental flavour try what we had last night, simple but very
good.

Rosemary Pork Steaks
------------------------
Make enough marinade to have about a dessertspoon of liquid for each steak,
this will do two:
- the *fresh* rosemary leaves off about 6-8in of stalk chopped v fine
- big splash olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- grind of fresh black pepper

Mix and coat the steaks, leave for at least half an hour (up to overnight if
in the fridge) then fry or grill. Cook until the pink has just gone from the
centre but not all the juice.

We had it with a full-bodied dry white wine, potato salad, green beans and
baby yellow squash.

David

Katra

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Gary >
> wrote:
>
> >I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> >grilled one the other night.
> >
> >Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
> >
> >Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

> Brine them in a string garlic/onion brine.
>
> -sw

With grated ginger. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
> In rec.food.cooking, Gary > wrote:
> > I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> > grilled one the other night.

> > Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.

> > Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

> What you have there is a boneless loin pork chop. If you are grilling it
> on a gas grill, it is not geting hot enough. Use very hot charcoal.
> Salt and pepper both sides. grill on one side until the fat around the
> edge is nice and crispy, and the surface is golden brown. Flip them
> over, and sprinkle a little bit of some tasty chile powder on the cooked
> side, to melt into the liquid fat. Don't cook it too long - you don't
> want to dry it out.

That last bit of advice is particularly important. Pork is perfectly safe
when there is still a bit of pink in the middle, and it tastes much better
than the overcooked dried out pork that is too often the norm.

--
Peter Aitken

elaine

> wrote:
> > > I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> > > grilled one the other night.

> > > Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast

pork.

> > > Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

I marinate mine for at least 3 hours in:

soy sauce
lots of garlic
oregano, tyme, rosemary
pepper
maple syrup or apple juice
and some oil...........

E.

Scarlet Pimpernel

Gary > wrote in message >. ..
> I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> grilled one the other night.
>
> Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>
> Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

Sprinkle some coarse salt and pepper on it, put it in the fridge in a
ziploc for a few hours. Rinse off, add some fresh salt and black
pepper, and grill on your barbecue(indirect) with hickory chips/chunks
for smoke, at around 350 for 30 minutes or until done.

Poor mans kasseler rib!

/s
Default User

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

> I imagine those Spanish pigs that eat acorns all day to make Serranno
> (sp?) ham would probably make a good steak or loin roast as well.

One of the TV shows featured a hotel/restaurant/farm that served their
own free-range pork. The owner said it was best in the fall when the
pigs fattened up on windfall apples from their orchard.

Brian Rodenborn

Barry Grau

"David Hare-Scott" > wrote in message >...
> "Gary" > wrote in message
> > I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> > grilled one the other night.
> >
> > Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
> >
> > Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

> For a more occidental flavour try what we had last night, simple but very
> good.
>
> Rosemary Pork Steaks

There's a German deli in my neighborhood (Mayer's on Lincoln just
south of Lawrence for those in Chicago) that sells what they call
"Balkan steaks." These are boneless pork loin chops (about .75 inches
thick) in a dry marinade of what seems to be mostly paprika, ground
fennel and black pepper. It's very tasty, but they do use good quality
pork.

-bwg
Curly Sue

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Gary > wrote:

>I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
>grilled one the other night.
>
>Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>
>Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

Garlic, salt and pepper. Pork and turkey need garlic :>

Sue(tm)
Margaret Suran

Here is one of many Chinese Roast Pork recipes from Googles:

Home Cooking Chinese Roast Pork Recipe

Ingredients
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp oyster sauce
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp MSG (optional)
1 Tbsp white or rose wine
1 piece (1 inch) gingerroot, minced
1-1/2 tsp hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp bottled Chinese bean paste
1 clove garlic, minced
2 shallots, diced
1-1/4 pounds pork tenderloin
2 Tbsp honey
2 drops red food color

Instructions
Combine salt, sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, MSG, wine,
gingerroot, hoisin sauce, bean paste, garlic and shallots in large
bowl. Add pork, baste thoroughly and marinate 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Place
pork on rack in roasting pan. Bake at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
Turn meat and bake 7 minutes longer. Remove pork and brush with honey
mixed with food color. Return to oven 10 minutes, or until done. Cut
meat crosswise into thin slices and serve hot or cold.

Yield: 4 servings
--
Margaret Suran
Why is it that inside every older person is a younger person,

Dan Abel

In article >, Gary
> wrote:

> I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
> grilled one the other night.
>
> Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>
> Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

Here's a recipe for char siu (Chinese BBQ pork):

What you need.

1 Pkg. NOH Chinese Barbecue Seasoning Mix, Net wt. 2.5 ounce, 71g.
1/2 Cup water.
1 1/2 pounds pork (pork butt, ribs, chicken, duck, turkey, etc.
Pan to Marinate, Oven.
OPTIONAL-Dry mix can be rubbed directly onto the meat before cooking.

Recipe for Char Siu:

Combine contents of package with 1/2 cup water; blend/stir well. Cut 1 1/2
pound of pork into 2" by 2" by 4" pieces. Marinate in sauce for 2 to 4
hours, or overnight for best results. Preheat oven to 350
degrees F. Place pork on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 20 minutes.
Turn meat and cook 20 minutes longer or until done. Baste occasionally
with marinade. So Easy!

Ingredients:

Sugar, powdered soy sauce (soy beans, starch, caramel color, salt), onion
powder, garlic powder, other spices, red No. 3. No MSG added.
UPC 0 73562 00020 7

I don't know what brand I used, but my brother gave me the packet. It was
very good.

:-)

I tried making my own.

I didn't follow the recipe that I used anyway, but most Chinese cookbooks
have a recipe for char siu, and you can Google on it also.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Blair P. Houghton

Gary > wrote:
>I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
>grilled one the other night.

Pound it thin and flat, season it, bread it, fry it, put
it on a bun with lettuce and pickle (and whatever else
you want), and consider yourself a midwesterner.

--Blair
"Didn't we just go through this?"

Blair P. Houghton

Scarlet Pimpernel > wrote:
>Sprinkle some coarse salt and pepper on it, put it in the fridge in a
>ziploc for a few hours. Rinse off, add some fresh salt and black
>pepper, and grill on your barbecue(indirect) with hickory chips/chunks
>for smoke, at around 350 for 30 minutes or until done.

350 for 30 minutes? They'd better be more than an inch thick.

--Blair
"This is not a sex for money transaction."
blake murphy

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:00:44 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Gary >
>wrote:
>
>>I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
>>grilled one the other night.
>>
>>Very disappointing. Almost tasteless. But I LOVE chinese roast pork.
>>
>>Any recommendations: what to do to enhance the flavor?

>Brine them in a string garlic/onion brine.
>
>-sw

chinese barbecued pork needs more than garlic and onion. need sweet
bean paste, sherry, maybe sugar. red food coloring if you want it to
look the part.

your pal,
blake
PENMART01

>Gary > wrote:
>>I bought a boneless prok loin roast and cut them into steaks. I
>>grilled one the other night.

>Pound it thin and flat, season it, bread it, fry it,
>
>Blair

Quit beating your meat... that was suggested 3 days ago.