Old 12-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Andy

Default Fun at the supermarket!

Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
of fried zucchini.

I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
bun with juice. Awesome stuff.

Today at the produce market I decided I'd shop zucchini.

So I go in and don't know zucchini from eggplant from peppers from
whatever.

Two nice ladies are picking through the produce next to me. So, not
being the proud moron afraid to ask for directions without a map, I ask
them, "This is squash? I need zucchini. Is this the same thing?"

They nod yes, then one asks, "What are you making?" I said I wanted to
make fried zucchini.

The plot thickens. One of them asks me how I'm going to prepare the
fried zucchini. I blurted out "cornmeal then fried."

Momma (from here on out) told me to use the green squash, but then more
agony as she asks "How do you slice it?"

Grief, in the form of red blood running from my cheeks, I said, "in
coins"??

She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
bin.

She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them rest
in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in AP
flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."

She said that's the Italian way to do it.

We met up at the checkout. We talked about the procedure again, and what
was I cooking. I said I was making stuffed jumbo shells with 3-cheeses.

They both asked "when is dinner ready?"

I said "Well I was planning on 4pm, but whenever you're ready!"

If you've never seen two sweet Italian women blush...

For a brief moment in time, we were related!!!

Too nice.

Andy

Old 12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Margaret Suran

Andy wrote:
[...]

Nice story. Too bad your new friends didn't really come for dinner
and for another zucchini lesson. )
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Andy

Margaret Suran wrote:

Nice story. Too bad your new friends didn't really come for dinner
and for another zucchini lesson. )

They had shopping carts full of their own dinner plans.

We'll meet again.

Andy
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Dave Smith

Andy wrote:

Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
of fried zucchini.

I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
bun with juice. Awesome stuff.

......snip......

I lived beside a small Italian grocer store for a year when I was first
married. One day I went in to get some lasagne noodles, parmesan, cottage
cheese, tomato sauce, mozzarella. When I got the the checkout the lady asked
if my wife was making Lasagne. I told her I was. She told me I had all the
wrong stuff. She went around the store with me, put everything back, got
DeCecco pasta, a different kind of tomato sauce, had the butcher grate some
fresh mozzarella and Parmesan and she told me to use the recipe on the box.

We had a Bouvier des Flandres at the time and she used to spend a lot of
time in the back yard. At 9 months she already weighed well over 100 lb. I
went next door to do my grocery shopping and after I got the meats I asked
the butch if he had any dog bones. He grabbed huge thigh bone and as he
stood in front of the band saw, and to figure what size pieces to cut, he
asked what kind of dog it was. I told him it was the dog next door. He
turned off the saw, wrapped up the bone and handed it to me.

I still love shopping in the local Italian grocery stores.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Felice Friese

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

[...]

Bet you never had my experience in them, though. When I was poor and
pregnant and living in Greenwich Village I shopped at a Bleeker Street
greengrocer, who used to pat my bulge and then give me a piece of fresh
fruit for the "bambino". He was down the street from the "pork store" where
they would give me leftover ham bones to make soup. I can only hope their
children are now running the same stores and being as user-friendly!

Felice

Old 12-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Chris

Andy wrote in message
.. .
....(snip forward to Momma's zucchini recipe)

She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
bin.

She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them
rest
in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in
AP
flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."

She said that's the Italian way to do it.

You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
really crazy about that recipe.

And I just loved this story!!

Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Dave Smith

Chris wrote:

You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
really crazy about that recipe.

My wife usually slices the zucchini into roughly 1/4 inch rounds, par boils
them and then fries then in butter and adds a sprinkle of freshly grated
Parmesan cheese, a quick, easy and delicious way to do them.

Old 13-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Elaine Parrish

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Dave Smith wrote:

Chris wrote:

You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
really crazy about that recipe.

I peel them, cut them into thin "coins", dust in flour, and pan fry.

I do the same thing with cucumbers, yellow crook-neck (summer) squash,
green tomatoes and dill pickles.

They only have to cook a couple of minutes ( the toms a bit longer). Don't
fry too hot.

You can make a batter, but, usually I just coat in flour.

You can fry them to any degree of "crispy".

Yum.

Elaine, too

Old 13-06-2005, 02:16 AM
limey

Chris wrote:

You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
really crazy about that recipe.

I peel them, cut them into thin "coins", dust in flour, and pan fry.

I do the same thing with cucumbers, yellow crook-neck (summer) squash,
green tomatoes and dill pickles.

They only have to cook a couple of minutes ( the toms a bit longer). Don't
fry too hot.

You can make a batter, but, usually I just coat in flour.

You can fry them to any degree of "crispy".

Yum.

Elaine, too

Sounds good! For variety, I slice the zucchini and/or lengthwise, then cut
into julienne strips and marinate them in Italian salad dressing. I then
grill them. Tasty. (Hmm, must try that with cucumbers - and dill
pickles?).

Dora

Old 13-06-2005, 02:19 AM
modom

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:09:00 -0500, Andy n wrote:

For a brief moment in time, we were related!!!

Too nice.

Andy

Nice! Thanks for the story.

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde

Old 13-06-2005, 02:28 AM
limey

"limey" wrote in message
Sounds good! For variety, I slice the zucchini and/or lengthwise, then
cut

Oops - should've said zucchini and/or yellow squash lengthwise, then cut.

Dora

Old 13-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Pablo

n wrote in message .. .
Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
of fried zucchini.

*
**Good story snipped.**
If you ever have a craving for fried eggplant, do them the same way. (But
you'll probably want to peel them first.) Also, try that strange grated
cheese in the cardboard cylinder on the final product.

Pablo

Old 13-06-2005, 04:47 AM
Elaine Parrish

Chris wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. It sounds good. We see a lot more
yellow crook-neck than zucchini around here, so I don't experiment with it
much, but I'll try this.

The fried cucumbers are really good. They are real sweet. They are better
than crook-neck, even. Put just a little oil in a pan and fry them in a
single layer; turn once. They only take a couple of minutes. This is a
good way to fix those too-big cukes that aren't real good raw.

The fried dill pickles are all the rage now with restaurants as
appetizers in the Southern, US.. They are the little, thin sliced,
"hamburger dills" that
restaurants buy in 5 gallon pails. They are tossed in a little
flour/cornmeal and deep fried for just a couple of minutes. The BBQ joints
are especially fond of offering them. I don't care for dill pickles -
fried or not - but I have family members that do.

Elaine, too

Old 13-06-2005, 03:08 PM
sf

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:09:00 -0500, Andy wrote:

I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago

That's nothing short of weird. How did you manage to glide through
life without touching a zucchini??? Were you a picky eater?

Old 13-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Andy

sf wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:09:00 -0500, Andy wrote:

I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago

That's nothing short of weird. How did you manage to glide through
life without touching a zucchini??? Were you a picky eater?

I certainly WAS!!! I ate bread and butter, chicken and hamburgers
(plain) and milk, oh and spagetti with butter (no cheese!). Mom took me
to the doctor about my eating, doctor looked at me and said, "eh, he's
getting all the right proteins, don't worry."

I'm the tallest one in the family, ever!

Didn't eat my first egg until I was 18. That give you the picture!???

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)

Supermarket for the 99% Mark Thorson General Cooking 5 22-01-2014 09:15 PM
Almost new supermarket Ema Nymton General Cooking 8 30-06-2013 11:49 PM
Off to the supermarket George Shirley Preserving 0 10-11-2005 05:13 PM
Supermarket Tea Rick Chappell Tea 1 27-07-2004 03:04 PM
"SuperMarket Me" - A documentary on my health problems from eating supermarket food mrbog General Cooking 45 20-02-2004 11:06 PM