FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fun at the supermarket! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/62703-fun-supermarket.html)

Andy 12-06-2005 08:09 PM

Fun at the supermarket!

Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
of fried zucchini.

I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
bun with juice. Awesome stuff.

Today at the produce market I decided I'd shop zucchini.

So I go in and don't know zucchini from eggplant from peppers from
whatever.

Two nice ladies are picking through the produce next to me. So, not
being the proud moron afraid to ask for directions without a map, I ask
them, "This is squash? I need zucchini. Is this the same thing?"

They nod yes, then one asks, "What are you making?" I said I wanted to
make fried zucchini.

The plot thickens. One of them asks me how I'm going to prepare the
fried zucchini. I blurted out "cornmeal then fried."

Momma (from here on out) told me to use the green squash, but then more
agony as she asks "How do you slice it?"

Grief, in the form of red blood running from my cheeks, I said, "in
coins"??

She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
bin.

She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them rest
in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in AP
flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."

She said that's the Italian way to do it.

We met up at the checkout. We talked about the procedure again, and what
was I cooking. I said I was making stuffed jumbo shells with 3-cheeses.

They both asked "when is dinner ready?"

I said "Well I was planning on 4pm, but whenever you're ready!"

If you've never seen two sweet Italian women blush...

For a brief moment in time, we were related!!!

Too nice.

Andy

Margaret Suran 12-06-2005 08:45 PM

Andy wrote:
> Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
> of fried zucchini.
>
> I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
> married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
> bun with juice. Awesome stuff.
>
> Today at the produce market I decided I'd shop zucchini.
>
> So I go in and don't know zucchini from eggplant from peppers from
> whatever.
>
> Two nice ladies are picking through the produce next to me. So, not
> being the proud moron afraid to ask for directions without a map, I ask
> them, "This is squash? I need zucchini. Is this the same thing?"
>
> They nod yes, then one asks, "What are you making?" I said I wanted to
> make fried zucchini.
>
> The plot thickens. One of them asks me how I'm going to prepare the
> fried zucchini. I blurted out "cornmeal then fried."
>
> Momma (from here on out) told me to use the green squash, but then more
> agony as she asks "How do you slice it?"
>
> Grief, in the form of red blood running from my cheeks, I said, "in
> coins"??
>
> She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
> lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
> bin.
>
> She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them rest
> in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in AP
> flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."
>
> She said that's the Italian way to do it.
>
> We met up at the checkout. We talked about the procedure again, and what
> was I cooking. I said I was making stuffed jumbo shells with 3-cheeses.
>
> They both asked "when is dinner ready?"
>
> I said "Well I was planning on 4pm, but whenever you're ready!"
>
> If you've never seen two sweet Italian women blush...
>
> For a brief moment in time, we were related!!!
>
> Too nice.
>
> Andy

Nice story. Too bad your new friends didn't really come for dinner
and for another zucchini lesson. :o)

Andy 12-06-2005 09:22 PM

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Nice story. Too bad your new friends didn't really come for dinner
> and for another zucchini lesson. :o)

They had shopping carts full of their own dinner plans.

We'll meet again.

Andy

Dave Smith 12-06-2005 09:26 PM

Andy wrote:

> Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
> of fried zucchini.
>
> I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
> married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
> bun with juice. Awesome stuff.

......snip......

I lived beside a small Italian grocer store for a year when I was first
married. One day I went in to get some lasagne noodles, parmesan, cottage
cheese, tomato sauce, mozzarella. When I got the the checkout the lady asked
if my wife was making Lasagne. I told her I was. She told me I had all the
wrong stuff. She went around the store with me, put everything back, got
DeCecco pasta, a different kind of tomato sauce, had the butcher grate some
fresh mozzarella and Parmesan and she told me to use the recipe on the box.

We had a Bouvier des Flandres at the time and she used to spend a lot of
time in the back yard. At 9 months she already weighed well over 100 lb. I
went next door to do my grocery shopping and after I got the meats I asked
the butch if he had any dog bones. He grabbed huge thigh bone and as he
stood in front of the band saw, and to figure what size pieces to cut, he
asked what kind of dog it was. I told him it was the dog next door. He
turned off the saw, wrapped up the bone and handed it to me.

I still love shopping in the local Italian grocery stores.

Felice Friese 12-06-2005 10:19 PM

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> I lived beside a small Italian grocer store for a year when I was first
> married. One day I went in to get some lasagne noodles, parmesan, cottage
> cheese, tomato sauce, mozzarella. When I got the the checkout the lady
> asked
> if my wife was making Lasagne. I told her I was. She told me I had all the
> wrong stuff. She went around the store with me, put everything back, got
> DeCecco pasta, a different kind of tomato sauce, had the butcher grate
> some
> fresh mozzarella and Parmesan and she told me to use the recipe on the
> box.
>
> We had a Bouvier des Flandres at the time and she used to spend a lot of
> time in the back yard. At 9 months she already weighed well over 100 lb.
> went next door to do my grocery shopping and after I got the meats I asked
> the butch if he had any dog bones. He grabbed huge thigh bone and as he
> stood in front of the band saw, and to figure what size pieces to cut, he
> asked what kind of dog it was. I told him it was the dog next door. He
> turned off the saw, wrapped up the bone and handed it to me.
>
> I still love shopping in the local Italian grocery stores.

Bet you never had my experience in them, though. When I was poor and
pregnant and living in Greenwich Village I shopped at a Bleeker Street
greengrocer, who used to pat my bulge and then give me a piece of fresh
fruit for the "bambino". He was down the street from the "pork store" where
they would give me leftover ham bones to make soup. I can only hope their
children are now running the same stores and being as user-friendly!

Felice

Chris 12-06-2005 10:29 PM

Andy wrote in message
.. .
....(snip forward to Momma's zucchini recipe)

> She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
> lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
> bin.
>
> She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them
> rest
> in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in
> AP
> flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."
>
> She said that's the Italian way to do it.

You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
really crazy about that recipe.

And I just loved this story!!

Dave Smith 12-06-2005 10:34 PM

Chris wrote:

> You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
> once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
> really crazy about that recipe.

My wife usually slices the zucchini into roughly 1/4 inch rounds, par boils
them and then fries then in butter and adds a sprinkle of freshly grated
Parmesan cheese, a quick, easy and delicious way to do them.

Elaine Parrish 13-06-2005 01:31 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Dave Smith wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>

> > You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
> > once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
> > really crazy about that recipe.

I peel them, cut them into thin "coins", dust in flour, and pan fry.

I do the same thing with cucumbers, yellow crook-neck (summer) squash,
green tomatoes and dill pickles.

They only have to cook a couple of minutes ( the toms a bit longer). Don't
fry too hot.

You can make a batter, but, usually I just coat in flour.

You can fry them to any degree of "crispy".

Yum.

Elaine, too

limey 13-06-2005 02:16 AM

"Elaine Parrish" wrote in message

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Chris wrote:
>>

>> > You must let us know how the zucchini turns out. I make it only about
>> > once a year, using Marcella Hazan's flour-and-water batter, but I'm not
>> > really crazy about that recipe.

> I peel them, cut them into thin "coins", dust in flour, and pan fry.
>
> I do the same thing with cucumbers, yellow crook-neck (summer) squash,
> green tomatoes and dill pickles.
>
> They only have to cook a couple of minutes ( the toms a bit longer). Don't
> fry too hot.
>
> You can make a batter, but, usually I just coat in flour.
>
> You can fry them to any degree of "crispy".
>
> Yum.
>
> Elaine, too

Sounds good! For variety, I slice the zucchini and/or lengthwise, then cut
into julienne strips and marinate them in Italian salad dressing. I then
grill them. Tasty. (Hmm, must try that with cucumbers - and dill
pickles?).

Dora

modom 13-06-2005 02:19 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:09:00 -0500, Andy <n> wrote:

>For a brief moment in time, we were related!!!
>
>Too nice.
>
>Andy

Nice! Thanks for the story.

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde

limey 13-06-2005 02:28 AM

"limey" wrote in message >
> Sounds good! For variety, I slice the zucchini and/or lengthwise, then
> cut

Oops - should've said zucchini and/or yellow squash lengthwise, then cut.

Dora

Pablo 13-06-2005 03:21 AM

<n> wrote in message .. .
> Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
> of fried zucchini.

*
**Good story snipped.**
If you ever have a craving for fried eggplant, do them the same way. (But
you'll probably want to peel them first.) Also, try that strange grated
cheese in the cardboard cylinder on the final product.

Pablo

Elaine Parrish 13-06-2005 04:47 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, limey wrote:

> "Elaine Parrish" wrote in message

> > I peel them, cut them into thin "coins", dust in flour, and pan fry.
> >
> > I do the same thing with cucumbers, yellow crook-neck (summer) squash,
> > green tomatoes and dill pickles.
> >
> > They only have to cook a couple of minutes ( the toms a bit longer). Don't
> > fry too hot.
> >
> > You can make a batter, but, usually I just coat in flour.
> >
> > You can fry them to any degree of "crispy".
> >
> > Yum.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> Sounds good! For variety, I slice the zucchini and/or lengthwise, then cut
> into julienne strips and marinate them in Italian salad dressing. I then
> grill them. Tasty. (Hmm, must try that with cucumbers - and dill
> pickles?).
>
> Dora

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. It sounds good. We see a lot more
yellow crook-neck than zucchini around here, so I don't experiment with it
much, but I'll try this.

The fried cucumbers are really good. They are real sweet. They are better
than crook-neck, even. Put just a little oil in a pan and fry them in a
single layer; turn once. They only take a couple of minutes. This is a
good way to fix those too-big cukes that aren't real good raw.

The fried dill pickles are all the rage now with restaurants as
appetizers in the Southern, US.. They are the little, thin sliced,
"hamburger dills" that
restaurants buy in 5 gallon pails. They are tossed in a little
flour/cornmeal and deep fried for just a couple of minutes. The BBQ joints
are especially fond of offering them. I don't care for dill pickles -
fried or not - but I have family members that do.

Elaine, too

sf 13-06-2005 03:08 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:09:00 -0500, Andy wrote:

> I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago

That's nothing short of weird. How did you manage to glide through
life without touching a zucchini??? Were you a picky eater?

Andy 13-06-2005 04:10 PM

sf > wrote in news:sm4ra1pbr6p4sr35lpp8g9bpjqbs3srbd7@
4ax.com:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:09:00 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago

> That's nothing short of weird. How did you manage to glide through
> life without touching a zucchini??? Were you a picky eater?

I certainly WAS!!! I ate bread and butter, chicken and hamburgers
(plain) and milk, oh and spagetti with butter (no cheese!). Mom took me
to the doctor about my eating, doctor looked at me and said, "eh, he's
getting all the right proteins, don't worry."

I'm the tallest one in the family, ever!

Didn't eat my first egg until I was 18. That give you the picture!???

;)

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)

sf 13-06-2005 04:34 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:10:44 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Didn't eat my first egg until I was 18. That give you the picture!???

It most certain does! Kinda ironic that you're participating in a
food related ng after a childhood of hating food, isn't it?

[email protected] 13-06-2005 04:40 PM

Andy wrote:
> Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
> of fried zucchini.
>
> I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
> married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
> bun with juice. Awesome stuff.
>
> Today at the produce market I decided I'd shop zucchini.
>
> So I go in and don't know zucchini from eggplant from peppers from
> whatever.
>
> Two nice ladies are picking through the produce next to me. So, not
> being the proud moron afraid to ask for directions without a map, I ask
> them, "This is squash? I need zucchini. Is this the same thing?"
>
> They nod yes, then one asks, "What are you making?" I said I wanted to
> make fried zucchini.
>
> The plot thickens. One of them asks me how I'm going to prepare the
> fried zucchini. I blurted out "cornmeal then fried."
>
> Momma (from here on out) told me to use the green squash, but then more
> agony as she asks "How do you slice it?"
>
> Grief, in the form of red blood running from my cheeks, I said, "in
> coins"??
>
> She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
> lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
> bin.
>
> She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them rest
> in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in AP
> flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."

I've never seen fried zucchini in lengthwise slices, only rounds. I
like it dipped in egg and then finely-crushed soda cracker crumbs, and
fried flat in a skillet, like fried green tomatoes. It's really good.

N.

Andy 13-06-2005 04:40 PM

sf > wrote in news:dq9ra11ji6bkrk53ckukfu45on38sltm2r@
4ax.com:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:10:44 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> Didn't eat my first egg until I was 18. That give you the

picture!???

> It most certain does! Kinda ironic that you're participating in a
> food related ng after a childhood of hating food, isn't it?

The story goes, when I was two I had eye surgery. After the surgery I
had patches on my eyes and couldn't see what I was eating, so I
basically just stopped eating everything. Prior to the surgery, I ate
anything.

By 25, there wasn't a food on the planet that I wouldn't eat (except
lima beans [I did try them]). But zucchini was never on the menus in my
circles I guess.

It took a visit to Amsterdam and eating some magic mushroom before I'd
eat ordinary mushrooms. I always hope they're magic!

All the best,

Andy
Gourmet chef to the 5 and under crowd

notbob 13-06-2005 05:05 PM

On 2005-06-13, > wrote:

> I've never seen fried zucchini in lengthwise slices, only rounds. I
> like it dipped in egg and then finely-crushed soda cracker crumbs, and
> fried flat in a skillet, like fried green tomatoes. It's really good.

You must not have a tv. You can't watch two cooking shows in a row
without seeing someone taking long-sliced zukes, slapping on a buncha evoo,
and tossing them on the barbie or under a broiler. Frying is passé.

nb

Wayne Boatwright 13-06-2005 05:10 PM

On Mon 13 Jun 2005 08:40:19a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Andy wrote:
>> Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
>> of fried zucchini.
>>
>> I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
>> married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
>> bun with juice. Awesome stuff.
>>
>> Today at the produce market I decided I'd shop zucchini.
>>
>> So I go in and don't know zucchini from eggplant from peppers from
>> whatever.
>>
>> Two nice ladies are picking through the produce next to me. So, not
>> being the proud moron afraid to ask for directions without a map, I ask
>> them, "This is squash? I need zucchini. Is this the same thing?"
>>
>> They nod yes, then one asks, "What are you making?" I said I wanted to
>> make fried zucchini.
>>
>> The plot thickens. One of them asks me how I'm going to prepare the
>> fried zucchini. I blurted out "cornmeal then fried."
>>
>> Momma (from here on out) told me to use the green squash, but then more
>> agony as she asks "How do you slice it?"
>>
>> Grief, in the form of red blood running from my cheeks, I said, "in
>> coins"??
>>
>> She grabs the zucchini out of my hand and tells me to slice it in
>> lengths, not coins. And now we're becoming chums, there at the squash
>> bin.
>>
>> She further tells me to take the slices and salt them and let them rest
>> in a collander for 30 minutes. Then "take the slices and dip them in AP
>> flour, then into egg, then into hot oil."
>>

> I've never seen fried zucchini in lengthwise slices, only rounds. I
> like it dipped in egg and then finely-crushed soda cracker crumbs, and
> fried flat in a skillet, like fried green tomatoes. It's really good.
>
> N.

Most places seems to serve the rounds, but I used to go to a restaurant who
served it in "stick"s. I think I liked those better, but it m ight have
just been that their breading was better.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

cathyxyz 13-06-2005 05:10 PM

wrote:

> I've never seen fried zucchini in lengthwise slices, only rounds. I
> like it dipped in egg and then finely-crushed soda cracker crumbs, and
> fried flat in a skillet, like fried green tomatoes. It's really good.
>
> N.

We eat zucchini often, (only we call them "baby marrows") - great with
stir-frys... in fact we are having them tonight.... but I have never
tried fried green tomatoes... think I should try some. We eat fried
"ripe" tomatoes all the time... Do you find the green ones taste better
than the "ripe" ones? Just curious.
Cathy
--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

maxine in ri 13-06-2005 05:19 PM

Margaret! Such a double-entendre from such an elegant lady!
~;^
maxine in ri

Nancy Young 13-06-2005 05:37 PM

<n> wrote in message .. .
> Have a dinner plan tonite for stuffed jumbo shells and decided on a side
> of fried zucchini.
>
> I never touched zucchini except at a block party a few years ago that
> married whole hog's pulled pork to fried zucchini with provalone on a
> bun with juice. Awesome stuff.

That was such a fun story. I cut the zucchini on the bias so the pieces
won't fall through the grill. Marinate them and grill them.

Also, I make zucchini boats, you halve them then scoop out the middle
and fill it with a sausage mixture and bake them. Nice side dish.

Believe me, I never tasted zucchini until I was maybe ... 30? Not
a big fan of squash. Gotten better about that, it's good. And
versital.

nancy

Margaret Suran 13-06-2005 05:47 PM

maxine in ri wrote:
> Margaret! Such a double-entendre from such an elegant lady!
> ~;^
> maxine in ri

That just shows how respectable and innocent my thoughts are. :o)

limey 13-06-2005 06:03 PM

"cathyxyz" wrote in message >
> We eat zucchini often, (only we call them "baby marrows") - great with
> stir-frys... in fact we are having them tonight.... but I have never tried
> fried green tomatoes... think I should try some. We eat fried "ripe"
> tomatoes all the time... Do you find the green ones taste better than the
> "ripe" ones? Just curious.
> Cathy

Often, when I fix ripe tomatoes, I halve them, season with S&P and sometimes
a little sugar, and then fry them gently. Fried green tomatoes I fix at
the end of the tomato growing season, when it's doubtful they will ripen as
the weather turns. I slice them about 1/2" thick or less, dip in seasoned
flour (or flour mixed with Italian breadcrumbs) and fry. They're
addictive. I don't want to rob the vines for them while we still enjoying
ripe ones.

Dora

Wayne Boatwright 13-06-2005 06:16 PM

On Mon 13 Jun 2005 09:47:54a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> maxine in ri wrote:
>> Margaret! Such a double-entendre from such an elegant lady!
>> ~;^
>> maxine in ri
>>

> That just shows how respectable and innocent my thoughts are. :o)

I know that! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

cathyxyz 13-06-2005 06:32 PM

limey wrote:

> Often, when I fix ripe tomatoes, I halve them, season with S&P and sometimes
> a little sugar, and then fry them gently.

Yes, that's how we do our ripe tomatoes. YUM.

Fried green tomatoes I fix at
> the end of the tomato growing season, when it's doubtful they will ripen as
> the weather turns. I slice them about 1/2" thick or less, dip in seasoned
> flour (or flour mixed with Italian breadcrumbs) and fry. They're
> addictive. I don't want to rob the vines for them while we still enjoying
> ripe ones.
>
> Dora

Addictive.... Sounds great! :) I have to try them now....
Thanks
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Dave Smith 13-06-2005 07:06 PM

Andy wrote:

> I certainly WAS!!! I ate bread and butter, chicken and hamburgers
> (plain) and milk, oh and spagetti with butter (no cheese!). Mom took me
> to the doctor about my eating, doctor looked at me and said, "eh, he's
> getting all the right proteins, don't worry."

The woman next door comes from an Italian family. Her parents live next
door to them. Both women are fantastic cooks. Dinners are their houses are
multi course meals with a wide range of delicious foods, great soups, cold
cuts, cheese, chicken, fish, sausages, ravioli, lasagne, olives, roasted
red peppers..... etc. While everyone enjoys the bounteous feast, their
youngest son eats bread and butter. The poor kid is going to develop a
taste for food one day and will be kicking himself for what he missed over
the years.

Andy 13-06-2005 07:45 PM

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> While everyone enjoys the bounteous feast, their
> youngest son eats bread and butter. The poor kid is going to develop
> a taste for food one day and will be kicking himself for what he
> missed over the years.

Yepper! That's what I did.

Past my teens, I'd taste something and the flavor would trigger a memory
"I remember liking this flavor!!" This happened over and over but at an
accelerated pace! ;)

Andy

sf 13-06-2005 08:59 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:37:30 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Also, I make zucchini boats, you halve them then scoop out the middle
> and fill it with a sausage mixture and bake them. Nice side dish.

The first stuffed zucchini I ever ate was stuffed just with
breadcrumbs (and egg to hold it together). It was delish!

> Believe me, I never tasted zucchini until I was maybe ... 30? Not
> a big fan of squash. Gotten better about that, it's good. And
> versital.

You and I are polar opposites. At one point (early in my marriage), I
was serving squash as a vegetable at least 5 days a week and never
thought twice about it because it was a different kind of squash every
day. It took my husband saying with a sigh, "Oh goody! My favorite
vegetable, squash... AGAIN" to make me realize that some people lump
Acorn squash and zucchini under one umbrella. Odd, but true. ;)

Dave Smith 13-06-2005 09:14 PM

sf wrote:

> > Believe me, I never tasted zucchini until I was maybe ... 30? Not
> > a big fan of squash. Gotten better about that, it's good. And
> > versital.

> You and I are polar opposites. At one point (early in my marriage), I
> was serving squash as a vegetable at least 5 days a week and never
> thought twice about it because it was a different kind of squash every
> day. It took my husband saying with a sigh, "Oh goody! My favorite
> vegetable, squash... AGAIN" to make me realize that some people lump
> Acorn squash and zucchini under one umbrella. Odd, but true. ;)

When I was younger I was not a fan of squash, a sentiment extended to all
orange and yellow coloured vegetables. I will eat cooked carrots if they are
served to me but I don't bother to cook them myself, and I come to enjoy
squash but in small doses only. I never had zucchini until I was almost 30,
and I honestly don't remember seeing it in stores around here. I liked it.

The Ranger 13-06-2005 09:14 PM

sf > wrote in message
> [..] some people lump Acorn squash and zucchini under
> one umbrella.

Hello SWMBO! I, too, went through a squash kick where we were enjoying
squash five out of seven meals during autumn. SWMBO's comment of, "There
are _other_ food groups than squash" was like getting hit in the face
with a bucket of ice water.

Now I'm lucky if I have it once during summer.

The Ranger

ObFriedZuchiniQuestion: How do you plate it after frying it up without
having it go limp and soggy? The slices were beautiful Golden Brown with
the flower-eggwash but within minutes were soggy. I drained them on
cookie racks and then toweled off (with a paper towel) any excess oil
from each slice as they finished.

Elaine Parrish 13-06-2005 10:01 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, cathyxyz wrote:

> We eat zucchini often, (only we call them "baby marrows") - great with
> stir-frys... in fact we are having them tonight.... but I have never
> tried fried green tomatoes... think I should try some. We eat fried
> "ripe" tomatoes all the time... Do you find the green ones taste better
> than the "ripe" ones? Just curious.
> Cathy
> --
> I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried.
How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

Why anyone ever started frying green toms, is a mystery to me. But they
did and I do. It's the only thing I know of to do with green toms - save
pickling them in in a variety of relish combos.

Elaine, too

Wayne Boatwright 13-06-2005 10:50 PM

On Mon 13 Jun 2005 02:01:26p, Elaine Parrish wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, cathyxyz wrote:
>

>> We eat zucchini often, (only we call them "baby marrows") - great with
>> stir-frys... in fact we are having them tonight.... but I have never
>> tried fried green tomatoes... think I should try some. We eat fried
>> "ripe" tomatoes all the time... Do you find the green ones taste better
>> than the "ripe" ones? Just curious.
>> Cathy
>> --
>> I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
>>

> Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
> We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried.
> How do you fix your fried ripe toms?
>

> Why anyone ever started frying green toms, is a mystery to me. But they
> did and I do. It's the only thing I know of to do with green toms - save
> pickling them in in a variety of relish combos.
>
> Elaine, too

Elaine, you can also make a green tomato pie. Follow an apple pie recipe.
They're really quite good.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Dave Smith 13-06-2005 11:23 PM

Elaine Parrish wrote:

> Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
> We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried.
> How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

My parents used to fry slices of ripe tomato in bacon fat after the bacon and
eggs were done.

cathyxyz 14-06-2005 09:12 AM

Elaine Parrish wrote:

> Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
> We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried.
> How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

We cut them in thick slices, season them with salt/pepper and then fry
them for a few minutes, turning once or twice... usually in the fat from
the bacon that we have already fried. Very nice with bacon and eggs for
breakfast or brunch.

Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

cathyxyz 14-06-2005 12:51 PM

Don Gray wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>

>>Elaine Parrish wrote:
>>

>>>Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that. We eat
>>>cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried. How do
>>>you fix your fried ripe toms?
>>>

>>My parents used to fry slices of ripe tomato in bacon fat after the bacon
>>and eggs were done.
>>

> That's the very first time I've heard of anyone but myself doing that! I
> find that with addition of salt and pepper they taste great. If I'm not
> hungry enough to make bacon annd eggs to go with them I just drop a thick
> slice of bread over them and have it as an open sandwich. I always remove
> the seeds first as they can be a pain to remove from between the teeth.

My Mom got me started on the fried tomatoes... and they are usually part
of our breakfast/brunch. I also like to do an open sandwich with layers
of cheese, sliced tomatoes and bacon, with some ground black pepper on
top - then stick it under the grill until the bacon is done and the
cheese has melted nicely... that's great too. :)

> What I can't stand is how cafés and hotels drop ½ a tomato, which has been
> under the grill for about 30 seconds and is still in its raw state, onto the
> breakfast plate. Yuck! They might as well just add a runny, raw egg and a
> couple of slices of uncooked bacon!

They do the same thing here... that's why we like doing them ourselves
at home.

I love eating them uncooked by the way,
> but not for breakfast.

I eat them raw too, with salt .... probably not good for me ;)

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

limey 14-06-2005 02:05 PM

"cathyxyz" wrote in message

> Elaine Parrish wrote:

>> Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
>> We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried.
>> How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

> We cut them in thick slices, season them with salt/pepper and then fry
> them for a few minutes, turning once or twice... usually in the fat from
> the bacon that we have already fried. Very nice with bacon and eggs for
> breakfast or brunch.
>
> Cathy

My thoughts always go back to my mother's splurge breakfasts in the UK -
bacon, eggs, tomatoes (yes, fried in the bacon fat), mushrooms - probably
Portabello, veal
or lamb kidney, bread fried in the bacon fat. Might have forgotten
something. She called it a "mixed grill", but nowadays it's called a fry
up. Cholesterol disaster, but oh! so good.

Dora

cathyxyz 14-06-2005 03:02 PM

limey wrote:

> My thoughts always go back to my mother's splurge breakfasts in the UK -
> bacon, eggs, tomatoes (yes, fried in the bacon fat), mushrooms - probably
> Portabello, veal
> or lamb kidney, bread fried in the bacon fat. Might have forgotten
> something. She called it a "mixed grill", but nowadays it's called a fry
> up. Cholesterol disaster, but oh! so good.
>
> Dora

Oh yes! A mixed grill.... that was also something we would have (even
for supper sometimes). My Mom is British, by the way... guess that's
where it comes from .... Those were the days, haven't had it for ages :)
Only thing is, the DH does not like bacon... but my son and I do, so we
have brunch at weekends...
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Ophelia 14-06-2005 03:15 PM

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
>

>> My thoughts always go back to my mother's splurge breakfasts in the
>> UK - bacon, eggs, tomatoes (yes, fried in the bacon fat),
>> mushrooms - probably Portabello, veal
>> or lamb kidney, bread fried in the bacon fat. Might have forgotten
>> something. She called it a "mixed grill", but nowadays it's called
>> a fry up. Cholesterol disaster, but oh! so good.
>>
>> Dora

> Oh yes! A mixed grill.... that was also something we would have (even
> for supper sometimes). My Mom is British, by the way... guess that's
> where it comes from .... Those were the days, haven't had it for ages
> :) Only thing is, the DH does not like bacon... but my son and I do,
> so we have brunch at weekends...

Hey Cathy:) From which bit of Britain does your Mom come?

O in Scotland