cathyxyz

Ophelia wrote:

> Hey Cathy From which bit of Britain does your Mom come?
>
> O in Scotland

Wales... Cardiff. But she will be moving to Lip Hook (sp) soon, I
believe. She wants to go into one of those retirement villages, and is
waiting for the go ahead... She's only recently gone back to UK. We have
family all over the place, in Wales and England, but none in Scotland
AFAIK
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Ophelia

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> Hey Cathy From which bit of Britain does your Mom come?
>>
>> O in Scotland

> Wales... Cardiff. But she will be moving to Lip Hook (sp) soon, I
> believe. She wants to go into one of those retirement villages, and is
> waiting for the go ahead... She's only recently gone back to UK. We
> have family all over the place, in Wales and England, but none in
> Scotland AFAIK

Well I am from Yorkshire I have lived in Scotland though for 20
years

So when will you be visiting UK?

cathyxyz

Ophelia wrote:

> Well I am from Yorkshire I have lived in Scotland though for 20
> years
>
> So when will you be visiting UK?

Haven't the "foggiest" idea! Think Mom would rather come over here for a
visit... after so many years in Africa, she loves the weather out here
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Elaine Parrish

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, cathyxyz wrote:

> Elaine Parrish wrote:
>

> > Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
> > We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried.
> > How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

> We cut them in thick slices, season them with salt/pepper and then fry
> them for a few minutes, turning once or twice... usually in the fat from
> the bacon that we have already fried. Very nice with bacon and eggs for
> breakfast or brunch.
>
> Cathy
> > I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Thanks, Cathy. That sounds good. I'll give it a try.

It's odd that I haven't run into that somewhere along the
way. 'Round here, when we eat tomatoes for breakfast, we make Tomato
Gravy. It's not as popular as Sawmill (sausage) gravy and it is something
that the older folks are more familiar with than the younger folks. It
comes from the days when milk was hard to come by and people were making
water gravy to feed their families.

When we have breakfast for dinner, it is common to serve sliced toms, but
they are cold. I'll try the warmed ones. I bet they'll be a lot better.

Elaine, too

cathyxyz

Elaine Parrish wrote:

That sounds good. I'll give it a try.

> It's odd that I haven't run into that somewhere along the
> way. 'Round here, when we eat tomatoes for breakfast, we make Tomato
> Gravy. It's not as popular as Sawmill (sausage) gravy and it is something
> that the older folks are more familiar with than the younger folks. It
> comes from the days when milk was hard to come by and people were making
> water gravy to feed their families.

Think it's my Mom's Brit influence... fried tom's are great with
breakfast...

> When we have breakfast for dinner, it is common to serve sliced toms, but
> they are cold. I'll try the warmed ones. I bet they'll be a lot better.

Hope you will enjoy them too !

Cathy

> Elaine, too

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 10:16:03a, Elaine Parrish wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, cathyxyz wrote:
>
>> Elaine Parrish wrote:
>>

>> > Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
>> > We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and
>> > fried. How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

>> We cut them in thick slices, season them with salt/pepper and then fry
>> them for a few minutes, turning once or twice... usually in the fat
>> from the bacon that we have already fried. Very nice with bacon and
>> eggs for breakfast or brunch.
>>
>> Cathy
>> > I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

> Thanks, Cathy. That sounds good. I'll give it a try.
>
> It's odd that I haven't run into that somewhere along the
> way. 'Round here, when we eat tomatoes for breakfast, we make Tomato
> Gravy. It's not as popular as Sawmill (sausage) gravy and it is
> something that the older folks are more familiar with than the younger
> folks. It comes from the days when milk was hard to come by and people
> were making water gravy to feed their families.
>
> When we have breakfast for dinner, it is common to serve sliced toms,
> but they are cold. I'll try the warmed ones. I bet they'll be a lot
> better.
>
> Elaine, too

Elain, do you have a recipe for Tomato Gravy? I've eaten many times but
have made it only a couple of times. I can't find the recipe I used.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> My wife usually slices the zucchini into roughly 1/4 inch rounds, par boils
> them and then fries then in butter and adds a sprinkle of freshly grated
> Parmesan cheese, a quick, easy and delicious way to do them.

This sounds so good! I know what I will be doing when the zucchini
starts coming in.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article
Elaine Parrish > wrote:

> Why anyone ever started frying green toms, is a mystery to me. But they
> did and I do. It's the only thing I know of to do with green toms - save
> pickling them in in a variety of relish combos.

Because the plants produce so much and there is only so much green
tomato sauce, green tomato relish, green tomato pickles that any family
can eat.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Elaine, you can also make a green tomato pie. Follow an apple pie recipe.
> They're really quite good.

I make a ripe tomato pie. Slice, drain well, put in a blind baked
crust (I use one with some cornmeal in it), cover with onions that have
been sauteed in olive oil with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper, slice
some fresh mozzarella and layer on top, drizzle with some heavy cream
and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan. Bake for about 15-20
minutes. I serve with a mixed green salad, and some sort of savory egg
custard for a vegetarian lunch or dinner.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 11:11:35a, Ranee Mueller wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Elaine, you can also make a green tomato pie. Follow an apple pie
>> recipe. They're really quite good.

> I make a ripe tomato pie. Slice, drain well, put in a blind baked
> crust (I use one with some cornmeal in it), cover with onions that have
> been sauteed in olive oil with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper, slice
> some fresh mozzarella and layer on top, drizzle with some heavy cream
> and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan. Bake for about 15-20
> minutes. I serve with a mixed green salad, and some sort of savory egg
> custard for a vegetarian lunch or dinner.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

That sounds absolutely delicious, Ranee! I will keep this for future use,
as soon as get some good tomatoes.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Andy

Hi everyone!

My zucchini turned into fried mush. My slices were too thin. Oh well.
First time is always a gamble.

I'm glad to see that the thread morphed so pleasantly into "Fried
tomatoes," only it should have also morphed the subject line to preserve
a great tomato thread for the internet search engines.

Fond regards,

Andy
cathyxyz

Andy wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My zucchini turned into fried mush. My slices were too thin. Oh well.
> First time is always a gamble.

Should have tried fried "tomatoes" instead

> I'm glad to see that the thread morphed so pleasantly into "Fried
> tomatoes," only it should have also morphed the subject line to preserve
> a great tomato thread for the internet search engines.
>
> Fond regards,
>
> Andy

Sorry Andy.... Actually, NOT heh heh heh
Cheers
Cathy

Shaun aRe

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 14 Jun 2005 11:11:35a, Ranee Mueller wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> Elaine, you can also make a green tomato pie. Follow an apple pie
> >> recipe. They're really quite good.

> > I make a ripe tomato pie. Slice, drain well, put in a blind baked
> > crust (I use one with some cornmeal in it), cover with onions that have
> > been sauteed in olive oil with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper, slice
> > some fresh mozzarella and layer on top, drizzle with some heavy cream
> > and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan. Bake for about 15-20
> > minutes. I serve with a mixed green salad, and some sort of savory egg
> > custard for a vegetarian lunch or dinner.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ranee

> That sounds absolutely delicious, Ranee! I will keep this for future use,
> as soon as get some good tomatoes.
>
> Thanks!

Me too! We're gonna have HUNNERDS of tomatoes this year. ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Another one fwd'd to Kath!

Shaun aRe

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Elaine Parrish wrote:
>

> > Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
> > We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and

fried.
> > How do you fix your fried ripe toms?
> >

> My parents used to fry slices of ripe tomato in bacon fat after the bacon

and
> eggs were done.

Mine too, and I still often do - done like that, it's part of a 'full
English' fried breakfast ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"limey" > wrote in message

> "cathyxyz" wrote in message
>
> > Elaine Parrish wrote:

> >> Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
> >> We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and

fried.
> >> How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

> > We cut them in thick slices, season them with salt/pepper and then fry
> > them for a few minutes, turning once or twice... usually in the fat from
> > the bacon that we have already fried. Very nice with bacon and eggs for
> > breakfast or brunch.
> >
> > Cathy

> My thoughts always go back to my mother's splurge breakfasts in the UK -
> bacon, eggs, tomatoes (yes, fried in the bacon fat), mushrooms - probably
> Portabello, veal
> or lamb kidney, bread fried in the bacon fat. Might have forgotten
> something. She called it a "mixed grill", but nowadays it's called a fry
> up. Cholesterol disaster, but oh! so good.

Yup yup yup yup YUP! Good every now and then, especially the morning after
a heavy night, heheheh...

Shaun aRe

limey

"limey" wrote in message >

> bacon, eggs, tomatoes (yes, fried in the bacon fat), mushrooms - probably
> Portabello, veal
> or lamb kidney, bread fried in the bacon fat. Might have forgotten
> something. >

Yes, certainly did forget something. Little chipolata sausages.

Dora

limey

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message

> "limey" wrote in message
>>
>> My thoughts always go back to my mother's splurge breakfasts in the UK -
>> bacon, eggs, tomatoes (yes, fried in the bacon fat), mushrooms - probably
>> Portabello, veal
>> or lamb kidney, bread fried in the bacon fat. Might have forgotten
>> something. She called it a "mixed grill", but nowadays it's called a
>> fry
>> up. Cholesterol disaster, but oh! so good.
>>

> Yup yup yup yup YUP! Good every now and then, especially the morning
> after
> a heavy night, heheheh...
>
> Shaun aRe

Oof. Don't think I could handle it after a night on the town. BTW, I
forgot the chipolata sausages.

Dora

Shaun aRe

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Shaun aRe" wrote in message
> >
> > "limey" wrote in message
> >>
> >> My thoughts always go back to my mother's splurge breakfasts in the

K -
> >> bacon, eggs, tomatoes (yes, fried in the bacon fat), mushrooms -

probably
> >> Portabello, veal
> >> or lamb kidney, bread fried in the bacon fat. Might have forgotten
> >> something. She called it a "mixed grill", but nowadays it's called a
> >> fry
> >> up. Cholesterol disaster, but oh! so good.
> >>

> > Yup yup yup yup YUP! Good every now and then, especially the morning
> > after
> > a heavy night, heheheh...
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Oof. Don't think I could handle it after a night on the town.

To be honest, me either mostly, but just every now and then, I just GOTTA
have it, yaknow?

> BTW, I
> forgot the chipolata sausages.
>
> Dora

No fried black pudd'n either? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

limey

"Shaun aRe" wrote:

> "limey" wrote in message

> K -

> probably
>> >>

>> > Yup yup yup yup YUP! Good every now and then, especially the morning
>> > after
>> > a heavy night, heheheh...
>> >
>> > Shaun aRe

>> Oof. Don't think I could handle it after a night on the town.

> To be honest, me either mostly, but just every now and then, I just GOTTA
> have it, yaknow?
>
>> BTW, I
>> forgot the chipolata sausages.
>>
>> Dora

> No fried black pudd'n either? ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe

Not for me, Shaun (or apparently not me Mum either) knowing how it's made.
Ugh.

Dora

Shaun aRe

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Shaun aRe" wrote:

> > K -

> > probably

> >> Oof. Don't think I could handle it after a night on the town.

> > To be honest, me either mostly, but just every now and then, I just

GOTTA
> > have it, yaknow?
> >
> >> BTW, I
> >> forgot the chipolata sausages.
> >>
> >> Dora

> > No fried black pudd'n either? ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Not for me, Shaun (or apparently not me Mum either) knowing how it's made.
> Ugh.

Such a shame! Sometimes I think it's best folk get to try foods before they
know what it is so they don't miss out on some real delights!

Anyway, if you eat the flesh (with it's traces of blood), what is wrong with
the blood itself?

Cheers Dora - have a good w/e.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

cathyxyz

Shaun aRe wrote:

> Such a shame! Sometimes I think it's best folk get to try foods before they
> know what it is so they don't miss out on some real delights!
>
> Anyway, if you eat the flesh (with it's traces of blood), what is wrong with
> the blood itself?
>
> Cheers Dora - have a good w/e.
>
> ',;~}~
>

> Shaun aRe

I used to love black pudd'n too! Ah, the memories, the memories.... No
one else in the fambly is interested, either... shame...
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
limey

"Shaun aRe" wrote>
> "limey" wrote in message
>>

>> > No fried black pudd'n either? ',;~}~
>> >
>> > Shaun aRe

>> Not for me, Shaun (or apparently not me Mum either) knowing how it's
>> made.
>> Ugh.

> Such a shame! Sometimes I think it's best folk get to try foods before
> they
> know what it is so they don't miss out on some real delights!
>
> Anyway, if you eat the flesh (with it's traces of blood), what is wrong
> with
> the blood itself?
>
> Cheers Dora - have a good w/e.
>
> Shaun aRe

I'm just squeamish, I suppose. Keep at the front of your mind: - Dracula,
Dracula!!

Have a good one yourself, Shaun.

Dora

Shaun aRe

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>

> > Such a shame! Sometimes I think it's best folk get to try foods before

they
> > know what it is so they don't miss out on some real delights!
> >
> > Anyway, if you eat the flesh (with it's traces of blood), what is wrong

with
> > the blood itself?
> >
> > Cheers Dora - have a good w/e.
> >
> > ',;~}~
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> I used to love black pudd'n too! Ah, the memories, the memories.... No
> one else in the fambly is interested, either... shame...
> Cheers
> Cathy

Heh, shame indeed, and now of course, BP has suddenly gotten Restaurant
Class and is sought after all over the place (one of the factories near
here, that makes some rather well known and wonderful ones, has grown about
10X in size in about as many years).

I love the stuff and always have.

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"limey" > wrote in message
newszFse.18371$lb5.13205@trnddc04...

> >> Not for me, Shaun (or apparently not me Mum either) knowing how it's
> >> made.
> >> Ugh.

> > Such a shame! Sometimes I think it's best folk get to try foods before
> > they
> > know what it is so they don't miss out on some real delights!
> >
> > Anyway, if you eat the flesh (with it's traces of blood), what is wrong
> > with
> > the blood itself?
> >
> > Cheers Dora - have a good w/e.
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> I'm just squeamish, I suppose. Keep at the front of your mind: - Dracula,
> Dracula!!

Pah, he don' scare me none ',;~}~

> Have a good one yourself, Shaun.
>
> Dora

Thanks we had a GREAT one! We had a float in a small local carnival, playing
African Djembe/Djundjun pieces for the crowds - it was heaps of fun!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Supermarket for the 99% Mark Thorson General Cooking 5 22-01-2014 09:15 PM
Almost new supermarket Ema Nymton General Cooking 8 30-06-2013 11:49 PM
Off to the supermarket George Shirley Preserving 0 10-11-2005 05:13 PM
Supermarket Tea Rick Chappell Tea 1 27-07-2004 03:04 PM
"SuperMarket Me" - A documentary on my health problems from eating supermarket food mrbog General Cooking 45 20-02-2004 11:06 PM