jmk

Default Cinco de Mayo

With Cinco de Mayo coming up next week, I have been thinking about doing
at least one Mexican/Southwestern themed meal. We have fajitas and
chili regularly and I was sort of thinking of using this as an excuse to
trying a new recipe -- not that I need an excuse, we've been on a try
something new every week kick for several months now! ;-)

Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?
--
jmk in NC
JimLane

jmk wrote:

> With Cinco de Mayo coming up next week, I have been thinking about doing
> at least one Mexican/Southwestern themed meal. We have fajitas and
> chili regularly and I was sort of thinking of using this as an excuse to
> trying a new recipe -- not that I need an excuse, we've been on a try
> something new every week kick for several months now! ;-)
>
> Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

Staying out of Mexico. The next two weekends will be crowded with gringo
college kids having their final blow-off before finals.

Otherwise, am joining in on a friend's low-keyed carne asada and beer
party on the 5th.

jim
Rich McCormack

jmk wrote:
> With Cinco de Mayo coming up next week, I have been thinking about doing
> at least one Mexican/Southwestern themed meal. We have fajitas and
> chili regularly and I was sort of thinking of using this as an excuse to
> trying a new recipe -- not that I need an excuse, we've been on a try
> something new every week kick for several months now! ;-)
>
> Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

Here's a link to my Cinco de Mayo page included in my collection of
food related web pages. Sorry, the link to Rubio's Fish Tacos doesn't
work and I haven't taken the time to sort it out...but, the link to my
fish taco recipe page does...

http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/may5menu.html

Already got the tequila, Mexican beer and most of the makings for this
year's feast. We'll be having fajitas, per my wife's request, along
with some variation of my famous fish tacos. Please take note of the
historical significance of Cinco de Mayo so you truly understand what
it's really all about...

Rich

Tara

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:43:57 -0400, jmk > wrote:

>Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

We take our first graders on a field trip to a local Mexican
restaurant on Cinco de Mayo. The owner is a lovely lady who visits
our class and talks about growing up in Mexico.

Tara

JimLane

Rich McCormack wrote:

> jmk wrote:
>
>> With Cinco de Mayo coming up next week, I have been thinking about
>> doing at least one Mexican/Southwestern themed meal. We have fajitas
>> and chili regularly and I was sort of thinking of using this as an
>> excuse to trying a new recipe -- not that I need an excuse, we've been
>> on a try something new every week kick for several months now! ;-)
>>
>> Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

> Here's a link to my Cinco de Mayo page included in my collection of
> food related web pages. Sorry, the link to Rubio's Fish Tacos doesn't
> work and I haven't taken the time to sort it out...but, the link to my
> fish taco recipe page does...
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/may5menu.html
>
> Already got the tequila, Mexican beer and most of the makings for this
> year's feast. We'll be having fajitas, per my wife's request, along
> with some variation of my famous fish tacos. Please take note of the
> historical significance of Cinco de Mayo so you truly understand what
> it's really all about...
>
> Rich

Like I said, primarily a military holiday about as significant as Armed
Forces Day is here. And that comes from the Mexicans I know, not some
personal website.

For gringo college students, it is still the best time to have a big
blow-off before finals. If you do not think so, go south of the border
and see who is celebrating the most and the sub-population they belong to.

jim
ScratchMonkey

jmk > wrote in -
berlin.de:

> Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

Filling the sink with my favorite white condiment?
JimLane

Rich McCormack wrote:

> jmk wrote:
>
>> With Cinco de Mayo coming up next week, I have been thinking about
>> doing at least one Mexican/Southwestern themed meal. We have fajitas
>> and chili regularly and I was sort of thinking of using this as an
>> excuse to trying a new recipe -- not that I need an excuse, we've been
>> on a try something new every week kick for several months now! ;-)
>>
>> Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

> Here's a link to my Cinco de Mayo page included in my collection of
> food related web pages. Sorry, the link to Rubio's Fish Tacos doesn't
> work and I haven't taken the time to sort it out...but, the link to my
> fish taco recipe page does...
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/may5menu.html
>
> Already got the tequila, Mexican beer and most of the makings for this
> year's feast. We'll be having fajitas, per my wife's request, along
> with some variation of my famous fish tacos. Please take note of the
> historical significance of Cinco de Mayo so you truly understand what
> it's really all about...
>
> Rich

Try www.rubios.com to get to the corporate site. The problem is with the
/home.htm part. Rubio's is now publicly held and franchises locations,
whereas they were totally operated and owned by the Rubio's family.
Ralph spoke to one of my classes back in 86 or so. Then they used to
beer batter all their fish on location. Today it arrives pre-battered
and frozen. Not even close in quality to the original. Your recipes, on
the other hand, will make a very good fish taco that rivals the best
Rubio's put out - even back then.

jim

jim
Rich and Patti

JimLane wrote:

> Try www.rubios.com to get to the corporate site. The problem is with the
> /home.htm part.

I figured that out by backspacing the URL. You'd think a corporate
entity would keep their website up to date, or at least redirect to
a new URL...oh, well.

> Rubio's is now publicly held and franchises locations,
> whereas they were totally operated and owned by the Rubio's family.
> Ralph spoke to one of my classes back in 86 or so. Then they used to
> beer batter all their fish on location. Today it arrives pre-battered
> and frozen. Not even close in quality to the original.

That's the way of success, I guess. Got a Rubio's "debit" card for
Christmas last year and still haven't used it up as yet. Still like
the food, just find I like my own better. I'll use it up eventually.

> Your recipes, on
> the other hand, will make a very good fish taco that rivals the best
> Rubio's put out - even back then.

Thanks. I've been making fish tacos my way (from deep fried to
grilled as suits my fancy) for years and most everyone seems to like
'em...though I did have a relative from Colorado tell me once there
weren't no way I was gonna put any fish in HER taco. :-)

Rich

sf

On 27 Apr 2004 21:53:51 GMT, (SportKite1)
wrote:

> Peso sized Black bean cakes

Peso sized? <G> How big - 10, 5, 1?

Charles Gifford

"JimLane" > wrote in message

> Like I said, primarily a military holiday about as significant as Armed
> Forces Day is here. And that comes from the Mexicans I know, not some
> personal website.
>
> For gringo college students, it is still the best time to have a big
> blow-off before finals. If you do not think so, go south of the border
> and see who is celebrating the most and the sub-population they belong to.
>

> jim

Jim, I hope you will be able to attend the SD Cook-In in June. If you do you
will be able to meet Rich there! Rich is a really super gentleman. I'm
looking to seeing old friends and making new friends.

Charlie

JimLane

Charles Gifford wrote:

> Jim, I hope you will be able to attend the SD Cook-In in June. If you do you
> will be able to meet Rich there! Rich is a really super gentleman. I'm
> looking to seeing old friends and making new friends.
>
> Charlie

I hope to make it. I have an event that night I usually attend
(Ray@Nite), but may forego it to attend. Looking forward to the final
update on the cook-in.

jim
Charles Gifford

"JimLane" > wrote in message
> Charles Gifford wrote:
>

> > Jim, I hope you will be able to attend the SD Cook-In in June. If you do

you
> > will be able to meet Rich there! Rich is a really super gentleman. I'm
> > looking to seeing old friends and making new friends.
> >
> > Charlie
> >

> I hope to make it. I have an event that night I usually attend
> (Ray@Nite), but may forego it to attend. Looking forward to the final
> update on the cook-in.
>

> jim

We will start at 1:00 p.m. and usually end at about 7-9 p.m. So you could
leave early if you need to. We will have an update before too long.
Everything is going along well as we prepare for the event!

Cheerio!
Charlie

blake murphy

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:05:02 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:43:57 -0400, jmk > wrote:
>
>>Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

>We take our first graders on a field trip to a local Mexican
>restaurant on Cinco de Mayo. The owner is a lovely lady who visits
>our class and talks about growing up in Mexico.
>
>Tara

i thought cinco de mayo was the anniversary of some kind of revolution
or some other kind of anti-government event in mexico? like may day
is a communist holiday.

your pal,
joe
ScratchMonkey

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> i thought cinco de mayo was the anniversary of some kind of revolution
> or some other kind of anti-government event in mexico? like may day
> is a communist holiday.

And July 4th celebrates getting rid of British rule. (Secession is a Good
Thing.)

Default User

blake murphy wrote:

> i thought cinco de mayo was the anniversary of some kind of revolution
> or some other kind of anti-government event in mexico?

The government in question was the French.

Brian Rodenborn
DJS0302

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i thought cinco de mayo was the anniversary of some kind of revolution
>> or some other kind of anti-government event in mexico?

>The government in question was the French.
>

>Brian Rodenborn

But why do some people celebrate it in the United States? Up until a couple
years ago I had never heard of Cinko whatever. They keep trying to push it as
a big holiday when probably only a tiny percentage of the people in the U.S.
even know what it is. The only people who probably celebrate it are the
Mexicans who are here illegally.

JimLane

DJS0302 wrote:
>>blake murphy wrote:
>>

>>>i thought cinco de mayo was the anniversary of some kind of revolution
>>>or some other kind of anti-government event in mexico?

>>The government in question was the French.
>>

>>Brian Rodenborn

> But why do some people celebrate it in the United States? Up until a couple
> years ago I had never heard of Cinko whatever. They keep trying to push it as
> a big holiday when probably only a tiny percentage of the people in the U.S.
> even know what it is. The only people who probably celebrate it are the
> Mexicans who are here illegally.

Wrong. Read the thread. Are you some kind of bigot?

jim
Master Chef Richard Campbell

Hi all

I used Cinco de Mayo as excuse to party and get drunk off my butt.

Chef

PS Once had a earth day party that required all beverages be served off a
body part (i.e. clevage or navel) so that no cups were used to damage the
planet, Wink Wink.

jmk

On 4/30/2004 1:26 AM, DJS0302 wrote:
>>blake murphy wrote:
>>

>>>i thought cinco de mayo was the anniversary of some kind of revolution
>>>or some other kind of anti-government event in mexico?

>>The government in question was the French.
>>

>>Brian Rodenborn

> But why do some people celebrate it in the United States?

Beer

--
jmk in NC

Tony Lew

jmk > wrote in message >...

> >>The government in question was the French.
> >>

> >>Brian Rodenborn

> > But why do some people celebrate it in the United States?

> Beer

Some people even call it "Drinko de Mayo".

DJS0302 wrote:

> But why do some people celebrate it in the United States?

Why not? We have a significant number of people in the country with
Mexican heritage.

> Up until a couple years ago I had never heard of Cinko whatever.

So?

> They keep trying to push it as
> a big holiday when probably only a tiny percentage of the people in the U.S.
> even know what it is.

So? It's an excuse to celebrate, just like St. Patrick's Day. Whoopde
doo.

> The only people who probably celebrate it are the
> Mexicans who are here illegally.

Asshole.

Brian Rodenborn
DJS0302

>> But why do some people celebrate it in the United States?
>
>Why not? We have a significant number of people in the country with
>Mexican heritage.
>
>> Up until a couple years ago I had never heard of Cinko whatever.

>So?
>
>> They keep trying to push it as
>> a big holiday when probably only a tiny percentage of the people in the

>U.S.
>> even know what it is.

>So? It's an excuse to celebrate, just like St. Patrick's Day. Whoopde
>doo.
>
>> The only people who probably celebrate it are the
>> Mexicans who are here illegally.

>Asshole.
>

>Brian Rodenborn

BF

Edwin Pawlowski

"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> >> But why do some people celebrate it in the United States?

> >Why not? We have a significant number of people in the country with
> >Mexican heritage.

Yes, but all the bars use it as an excuse to sell lots of Mexican beer. Here
in New England, the only place you see it mentioned is in the bars. Corona
supplies the banners.
Ed

WitchieWoman

ScratchMonkey > wrote in
:

> jmk > wrote in
> - berlin.de:
>
>> Are any of you doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

> Filling the sink with my favorite white condiment?

OK Scratch that was really bad!!!! argh!!!

Huggies and Magic.

Cinco de Mayo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-05-2013 05:21 PM
Cinco de Mayo Noemi Mexican Cooking 0 30-04-2011 06:27 AM
Why -Cinco de Mayo? Secret_Ingredient[_2_] Mexican Cooking 8 12-05-2009 06:41 AM
Cinco De Mayo Dimitri General Cooking 15 06-05-2009 05:41 PM
Cinco de Mayo Chris Neidecker General Cooking 0 06-05-2005 01:45 PM