Andy

Default Glass bowl substitute for Kitchen-aid stand mixers?

Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
Kitchen-aid stand mixers?

I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???

Andy
Sheldon

Andy wrote:
> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
> Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
>
> I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
> glance.

Why? Any glass in a kitchen is dangerous, don't need extra.

That and the glass being "non-reactive"???

Um, the KA bowls are stainless steel, they are non-reactive.

Got anymore pinhead questions?

Sheldon

Andy

"Sheldon" > wrote in news:1118440549.197464.170380
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with

the
>> Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
>>
>> I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
>> glance.

> Why? Any glass in a kitchen is dangerous, don't need extra.
>
> That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
>
> Um, the KA bowls are stainless steel, they are non-reactive.
>
> Got anymore pinhead questions?
>
> Sheldon

Well, OK, yeah, kinda/sorta. The one about the advantage to seeing how
the mixing is progressing (or not) from the outside at a glance...
thingy question. But, don't strain yourself groping for an intelligent
answer.

And stay off the glue!

Andy
jmcquown

n wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in news:1118440549.197464.170380
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Andy wrote:
>>> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with
>>> the Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
>>>
>>> I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at
>>> a glance.

>> Why? Any glass in a kitchen is dangerous, don't need extra.
>>
>> That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
>>
>> Um, the KA bowls are stainless steel, they are non-reactive.
>>
>> Got anymore pinhead questions?
>>
>> Sheldon

> Well, OK, yeah, kinda/sorta. The one about the advantage to seeing how
> the mixing is progressing (or not) from the outside at a glance...
> thingy question. But, don't strain yourself groping for an intelligent
> answer.
>
> And stay off the glue!
>

> Andy

Andy, don't even try. He's absolutely correct. A glass mixing bowl in a KA
could be disastrous. I won't have glass mixing bowls in my kitchen on
general principle; mine are stainless. I don't care for glass baking pans
much, either, although sometimes you can't get around them. I did replace
my glass bread pans (50 years old, inherited) with metal because lo! and
behold! one of them cracked while I was baking a salmon loaf. Glass, other
than for drinking (and even then sometimes heheh) doesn't make a great
kitchen addition.

Jill

Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> n wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in news:1118440549.197464.170380
> > @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> >> Why? Any glass in a kitchen is dangerous, don't need extra.
> >>
> >> That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
> >>
> >> Um, the KA bowls are stainless steel, they are non-reactive.
> >>
> >> Got anymore pinhead questions?
> >>
> >> Sheldon

> > Well, OK, yeah, kinda/sorta. The one about the advantage to seeing how
> > the mixing is progressing (or not) from the outside at a glance...
> > thingy question. But, don't strain yourself groping for an intelligent
> > answer.
> >
> > And stay off the glue!
> >

> > Andy

> Andy, don't even try. He's absolutely correct. A glass mixing bowl in a KA
> could be disastrous. I won't have glass mixing bowls in my kitchen on
> general principle; mine are stainless. I don't care for glass baking pans
> much, either, although sometimes you can't get around them. I did replace
> my glass bread pans (50 years old, inherited) with metal because lo! and
> behold! one of them cracked while I was baking a salmon loaf. Glass, other
> than for drinking (and even then sometimes heheh) doesn't make a great
> kitchen addition.

The old Sunbeam Mixmasters had glass bowls (milky-couldn't see
through)and invariably every one would eventually develop chips... a
lot of glass slivers got swallowed. I recently got rid of all my glass
mixing bowls (bought nice stainless steel ones from Williams-Sonoma)and
I'm not real crazy about the glass lids on my Corningware, some of
those have gotten chipped too, I sanded the chipped area with emery
cloth to a dull matte finish so I can tell if new chips appear... any
more chips and they get shit canned. Why couldn't Corning make the
lids of the same strong material as the bottom portion, but no, they
had to use crappy glass... IDIOTS!

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 10 Jun 2005 12:50:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
> Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
>
> I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
> glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
>
> Andy

No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls, however,
only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been made for decades.
Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on eBay.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Andy

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 12:50:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with
>> the Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
>>
>> I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
>> glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
>>
>> Andy

> No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,
> however, only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been
> made for decades. Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on
> eBay.

OK, so the mixers were lacking precision in the early days. But in the
21st century, with improved precision mechanics, what's wrong with a
glass bowl?

Science and glass have come a long way, imho,

Andy
Lynne A

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 12:50:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
> > Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
> >
> > I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
> > glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
> >
> > Andy

> No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,

however,
> only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been made for

decades.
> Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on eBay.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Yeah, and they WILL break, trust me<G> I love mine, but seldom use it
anymore-I trust the new KA with metal bowl a lot more after having to pay
through the nose to replace the glass bowl when DD broke mine. I won't give
up the old mixer because my grandmother gave it to me, but it's more of a
display piece these days.

Lynne A

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 12:50:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
> > Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
> >
> > I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
> > glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
> >
> > Andy

> No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls, however,
> only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been made for decades.
> Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on eBay.

I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl,
please point to a website depicting one.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Lynne A wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > On Fri 10 Jun 2005 12:50:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
> > > Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
> > >
> > > I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
> > > glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
> > >
> > > Andy

> > No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,

> however,
> > only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been made for

> decades.
> > Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on eBay.
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright *=BF*
> >
> > Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> > Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> Yeah, and they WILL break, trust me<G> I love mine, but seldom use it
> anymore-I trust the new KA with metal bowl a lot more after having to pay
> through the nose to replace the glass bowl when DD broke mine. I won't g=

ive
> up the old mixer because my grandmother gave it to me, but it's more of a
> display piece these days.

I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl, the
old Sunbeam Mixmaster had glass bowls but I don't believe Kitchenaid
did... plese show me one on a website.

Sheldon

pennyaline

Andy wrote:
> Well, OK, yeah, kinda/sorta. The one about the advantage to seeing how
> the mixing is progressing (or not) from the outside at a glance...
> thingy question. But, don't strain yourself groping for an intelligent
> answer.

If you want to see how the mixing is progressing, look down into the bowl
from above. You'll see if things are working or not.

And don't forget to read the KA user's manual, which instructs explicitly to
*scrape the bowl* at regular intervals. It may seem like a primitive
technique, but it's the best there is.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 10 Jun 2005 04:22:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 12:50:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with
>>> the Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
>>>
>>> I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
>>> glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
>>>
>>> Andy

>> No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,
>> however, only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been
>> made for decades. Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on
>> eBay.

> OK, so the mixers were lacking precision in the early days. But in the
> 21st century, with improved precision mechanics, what's wrong with a
> glass bowl?

I don't think there was anything wrong with them. My grandmother had such
a KA mixer with the glass bowl and it was never chipped or broken. IIRC,
she had it more than 40 years.

> Science and glass have come a long way, imho,

Agreed.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 10 Jun 2005 05:46:36p, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Lynne A wrote:

>> > No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,
>> > however, only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been
>> > made for decades. Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on
>> > eBay.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Wayne Boatwright *¿* ____________________________________________
>> >
>> > Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
>> > Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

>> Yeah, and they WILL break, trust me<G> I love mine, but seldom use it
>> anymore-I trust the new KA with metal bowl a lot more after having to
>> pay through the nose to replace the glass bowl when DD broke mine. I
>> won't g ive up the old mixer because my grandmother gave it to me, but
>> it's more of a display piece these days.

> I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl, the
> old Sunbeam Mixmaster had glass bowls but I don't believe Kitchenaid
> did... plese show me one on a website.
>
> Sheldon

http://www.decodan.com/samples.asp

Scroll about 7/8 way down the page. There are 3 models, 3B, 3C, and 4C.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 10 Jun 2005 05:43:16p, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 12:50:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with
>> > the Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
>> >
>> > I think it could help to see stuff in the bowl that's not mixing at a
>> > glance. That and the glass being "non-reactive"???
>> >
>> > Andy

>> No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,
>> however, only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been made
>> for decades. Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on eBay.

> I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl,
> please point to a website depicting one.
>
> Sheldon

http://www.decodan.com/samples.asp

Scroll about 7/8 way down the page. There are 3 models; 3B, 3C, and 4C.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 05:43:16p, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,
> >> however, only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been made
> >> for decades. Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on eBay.

> > I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl,
> > please point to a website depicting one.
> >
> > Sheldon

> http://www.decodan.com/samples.asp
>
> Scroll about 7/8 way down the page. There are 3 models; 3B, 3C, and 4C.

Interesting. But those are not orbital, they're the regular egg beater
type, pretty much a Sunbeam Mixmaster clone. Thanks

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 10 Jun 2005 07:08:32p, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl,
>> > please point to a website depicting one.
>> >
>> > Sheldon

>> http://www.decodan.com/samples.asp
>>
>> Scroll about 7/8 way down the page. There are 3 models; 3B, 3C, and
>> 4C.

> Interesting. But those are not orbital, they're the regular egg beater
> type, pretty much a Sunbeam Mixmaster clone. Thanks
>
> Sheldon

Sorry, Sheldon, but you're mistaken. They are, indeed, orbital. Take a
closer look. I still have my grandmother's model 3C and the beater action
is exactly the same as my K5, but on a smaller scale.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Andy <n>
wrote:

> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
> Kitchen-aid stand mixers?
> Andy

Try rec.food.equipment.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 6/6/05 Sam I Am!
June 25, 1945: Me and Carly Simon. I wonder if she makes jam.
kalanamak

Andy wrote:
> Is there a glass bowl (with a metal "seat?") that can be used with the
> Kitchen-aid stand mixers?

I think it would be dangerous...at least the way I use my KA.
blacksalt
Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 07:08:32p, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> http://www.decodan.com/samples.asp
> >>
> >> Scroll about 7/8 way down the page. There are 3 models; 3B, 3C, and
> >> 4C.

> > Interesting. But those are not orbital, they're the regular egg beater
> > type, pretty much a Sunbeam Mixmaster clone. Thanks
> >
> > Sheldon

> Sorry, Sheldon, but you're mistaken. They are, indeed, orbital. Take a
> closer look. I still have my grandmother's model 3C and the beater action
> is exactly the same as my K5, but on a smaller scale.

I can't tell from those pictures and unfortunately they can't be
enlarged, but I'll take your word for it. Obviously the glass bowls
were not a good idea, hence they were discontinued long ago. I strive
to eliminate as much glass from my kitchen as possible... other than
for display I no longer use porcelainized either.

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 11 Jun 2005 08:30:52a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Interesting. But those are not orbital, they're the regular egg
>> > beater type, pretty much a Sunbeam Mixmaster clone. Thanks
>> >
>> > Sheldon

>> Sorry, Sheldon, but you're mistaken. They are, indeed, orbital. Take
>> a closer look. I still have my grandmother's model 3C and the beater
>> action is exactly the same as my K5, but on a smaller scale.

> I can't tell from those pictures and unfortunately they can't be
> enlarged, but I'll take your word for it. Obviously the glass bowls
> were not a good idea, hence they were discontinued long ago. I strive
> to eliminate as much glass from my kitchen as possible... other than
> for display I no longer use porcelainized either.
>
> Sheldon

The pictures of these mixers on eBay might be better. The first one
actually has a metal bowl, but also came with a glass bowl for the same
model. Both of these are model 3C.

http://tinyurl.com/8y3rt
http://tinyurl.com/cxdqh

I have no doubt that KA moved away from the glass bowls for durability,
but probably also for capacity. The earlier glass bowls were only about 3
qts.

Almost all my cookware is either SS or cast iron, but I do still use a
Pyrex double boiler. I prefer it over my metal one. I have several sets
of nested Pyrex mixing bowls and still prefer using them over metal,
except for the SS bowl on my KA mixer. I also use various other glass
items, baking dishes, measuring cups, etc.

In my 40 years of cooking, I've only broken 2 pieces of kitchen glassware,
a measuring cup which I dropped on a slate floor, and a hot loaf pan which
I accidently set on a cold wet surface. None of the glass pieces I have
are chipped.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 11 Jun 2005 08:30:52a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Sorry, Sheldon, but you're mistaken. They are, indeed, orbital. Take
> >> a closer look. I still have my grandmother's model 3C and the beater
> >> action is exactly the same as my K5, but on a smaller scale.

> > I can't tell from those pictures and unfortunately they can't be
> > enlarged, but I'll take your word for it. Obviously the glass bowls
> > were not a good idea, hence they were discontinued long ago. I strive
> > to eliminate as much glass from my kitchen as possible... other than
> > for display I no longer use porcelainized either.
> >
> > Sheldon

> The pictures of these mixers on eBay might be better. The first one
> actually has a metal bowl, but also came with a glass bowl for the same
> model. Both of these are model 3C.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8y3rt

Hmm, this top one looks like it has the planetary/orbital feature but
it's shown with a metal bowl, says it comes with a metal bowl, doesn't
say anything about utilizing a glass bowl and doesn't appear to me that
it would accomodate a glass bowl.

> http://tinyurl.com/cxdqh

This second one shown with the glass bowl definitely does NOT exhibit
any indication it is configured for planetary/orbital operation...
looks to me like just a single straight rotating shaft beater
mechanism, only odd thing is it indicates a rather large bowl for that
period, says 8 qts.... probably great for huge volumes of whipped cream
but I seriously doubt it would operate well, if at all, with much
denser ingredients in that volume... fill it just half way to mash
potatoes and I bet the motor stalls.

I'm still not convinced that Kitchenaid ever made an orbital/planetary
mixer with a glass bowl, and I can't imagine they would, the bowl would
shatter too easily, especially if fitted with a dough hook. Even with
today's modern Kitchenaids, when mixing heavy ingredients you can
actually see the stainless steel bowl flex.

Anyway, glass bowls were popular and still are with the less costly
mixers because glass bowls are far less expensive than stainless steel
bowls... even with cookware a lot of manufactures have gone to glass
lids, they're much less costly to manufacture than metal.

But thanks for the pics.

Sheldon

sf

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:33:09 -0600, pennyaline wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > Well, OK, yeah, kinda/sorta. The one about the advantage to seeing how
> > the mixing is progressing (or not) from the outside at a glance...
> > thingy question. But, don't strain yourself groping for an intelligent
> > answer.

> If you want to see how the mixing is progressing, look down into the bowl
> from above. You'll see if things are working or not.
>
> And don't forget to read the KA user's manual, which instructs explicitly to
> *scrape the bowl* at regular intervals. It may seem like a primitive
> technique, but it's the best there is.

That's what my mother taught me to do! Put the scraper at an angle on
the inside of the moving bowl to scrape while mixing.

sf

On 10 Jun 2005 17:46:36 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl, the
> old Sunbeam Mixmaster had glass bowls but I don't believe Kitchenaid
> did... plese show me one on a website.

Mom's KA from the '50's has a white bowl.
Sheldon

sf wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > I've never seen a Kitchenaid orbital stand mixer with a glass bowl, the
> > old Sunbeam Mixmaster had glass bowls but I don't believe Kitchenaid
> > did... plese show me one on a website.

> Mom's KA from the '50's has a white bowl.

Um, I really don't care about the color.

Of what material is the bowl made, and is it an orbital/planetary type
mixer? I've already seen a picture of a KA mixer with a glass bowl
(supplied by Bubba) but it was definitely not of the planetary/orbital
variety. I've never seen any brand of orbital/planetary type stand
mixer with a glass bowl (however I have seen plastic, I believe
Kenwood, but I think it was quickly discontinued). Somebody please
supply an URL to a planetary/orbital style stand mixer that's made to
use a glass bowl, doesn't even need to be KA, at this point any brand
will suffice... and any color bowl will be fine... although I am
partial to teal, and I like em in pairs, large, and strapless.... and I
can put that orbital/planetary action to good use. hehe

And I'm really not interested in anymore "but it's on ebay or my momma
has one" and then it turns out to be something else or nothing at all,
I want yoose should prove it definitively, so unless you actually can
quit wasting your time and mine.

Sheldon

sf

On 11 Jun 2005 16:30:40 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> > Mom's KA from the '50's has a white bowl.

> Um, I really don't care about the color.

When I said "white", it was my way of saying "I don't think it's
glass", but I wrote Mom and asked her about it anyway. Maybe I can
also get her to take a digital picture of it for you.... or more
likely, she'll ask my brother to do it. She moved to her new place
years ago, but the majority of her "kitchen stuff" is still sitting in
moving boxes in a storage shed. Obviously she's not in any hurry to
unpack, so if the mixer is in a box - it's not going to see the light
of day anytime soon.

sf

On 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> orbital/planetary

What is orbital/planetary? Mom's rotated. That's all.
Sheldon

sf wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > orbital/planetary

> What is orbital/planetary?

Like our planet rotates about its own axis and simultaneously orbits
about the sun.

>Mom's rotated. That's all.

That's what I thought.

Sheldon

Ken Davey

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:02:40 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> orbital/planetary

>What is orbital/planetary? Mom's rotated. That's all.

The beater rotates and the shaft that the beater is on also rotates
around the main shaft..
Think beater=moon
Main shaft=earth.
Hence the term 'orbital'.
Clear as mud eh?

Ken.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

<snip>

> I'm still not convinced that Kitchenaid ever made an orbital/planetary
> mixer with a glass bowl, and I can't imagine they would, the bowl would
> shatter too easily, especially if fitted with a dough hook. Even with
> today's modern Kitchenaids, when mixing heavy ingredients you can
> actually see the stainless steel bowl flex.
>
> Anyway, glass bowls were popular and still are with the less costly
> mixers because glass bowls are far less expensive than stainless steel
> bowls... even with cookware a lot of manufactures have gone to glass
> lids, they're much less costly to manufacture than metal.
>
> But thanks for the pics.

I know you're not convinced, but I know what I have in my pantry, which is
a KA Model 3C and it does, indeed, have a planetary action beater. If my
digital camera was working (my rechargable batteries completely died) I'd
snap a picture of it. The two mixers I gave URLs for on eBay were both
Model 3C, one with a glass bowl and one with what looked like an aluminum
bowl. Apparently both were available for that model.

As far as a dough hook goes, I don't believe one came with these models.
At least my grandmother's did not. That model does a creditable job on
medium to light batters, egg whites, whipped cream, etc. I wouldn't be
tempted to push it beyond that.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
sf

On 11 Jun 2005 17:46:56 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> >Mom's rotated. That's all.

> That's what I thought.

SO WHAT? The OP didn't mention it, so why does this weird planetal
pattern matter so much to you?

Sheldon

sf wrote:
> On 11 Jun 2005 17:46:56 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > >Mom's rotated. That's all.

> > That's what I thought.

> SO WHAT? The OP didn't mention it, so why does this weird planetal
> pattern matter so much to you?

Actually he did, by mentioning "Kitchen-aid". It matters to me because
I prefer to deal in truths, otherwise I'd subscribe to r.f.f
<rec.food.fairytales> instead. SO WHAT yerself. <G>

Sheldon

sf

On 11 Jun 2005 20:24:29 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > That's what I thought.

> > SO WHAT? The OP didn't mention it, so why does this weird planetal
> > pattern matter so much to you?

> Actually he did, by mentioning "Kitchen-aid". It matters to me because
> I prefer to deal in truths, otherwise I'd subscribe to r.f.f
> <rec.food.fairytales> instead. SO WHAT yerself. <G>

Here is the answer from Mom... I wrote back to ask her if she knows
what model it is.

"Yes, the mixer tilts up (or you can remove it from the stand and use
it separately) but the bowl rotates by the motion of the mixer. The
bowl is white glass -- quite heavy and no, I wasn't extra careful with
it (except not to drop it!) It doesn't have any chips, either. If
modern bowls chip, it's because they are using cheaper, lighter-weight
glass."

Sheldon

sf wrote:
> On 11 Jun 2005 20:24:29 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > SO WHAT? The OP didn't mention it, so why does this weird planetal
> > > pattern matter so much to you?

> > Actually he did, by mentioning "Kitchen-aid". It matters to me because
> > I prefer to deal in truths, otherwise I'd subscribe to r.f.f
> > <rec.food.fairytales> instead. SO WHAT yerself. <G>
> >

> Here is the answer from Mom... I wrote back to ask her if she knows
> what model it is.
>
> "Yes, the mixer tilts up (or you can remove it from the stand and use
> it separately) but the bowl rotates by the motion of the mixer. The
> bowl is white glass -- quite heavy and no, I wasn't extra careful with
> it (except not to drop it!) It doesn't have any chips, either. If
> modern bowls chip, it's because they are using cheaper, lighter-weight
> glass."

So what model is it? Anyway, your description sounds like a Sunbeam
Mixmaster, not a Kitchenaid.

Sheldon

sf

On 12 Jun 2005 14:28:02 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> So what model is it? Anyway, your description sounds like a Sunbeam
> Mixmaster, not a Kitchenaid.

I'm still waiting for that information.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Jun 2005 04:22:56p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> > :

> >> No, but there used to be. Early versions of the KA had glass bowls,
> >> however, only the model with the swing-up head. They haven't been
> >> made for decades. Occasionally you will see a KA with a glass bowl on
> >> eBay.

> > OK, so the mixers were lacking precision in the early days. But in the
> > 21st century, with improved precision mechanics, what's wrong with a
> > glass bowl?

> I don't think there was anything wrong with them. My grandmother had such
> a KA mixer with the glass bowl and it was never chipped or broken. IIRC,
> she had it more than 40 years.
>
> > Science and glass have come a long way, imho,

> Agreed.

My first mixer was a Signature brand from Monkey Ward's - had glass
bowls (the milky kind) - I never broke or chipped one the twenty-five
years I used it.

N.

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Sat 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > I'm still not convinced that Kitchenaid ever made an orbital/planetary
> > mixer with a glass bowl, and I can't imagine they would, the bowl would

> I know you're not convinced, but I know what I have in my pantry, which is
> a KA Model 3C and it does, indeed, have a planetary action beater. If my
> digital camera was working (my rechargable batteries completely died) I'd
> snap a picture of it. The two mixers I gave URLs for on eBay were both

Forget ebay or your camera, here is a link I found
http://www.execulink.com/~philipreed...ages/ka3b.html

Watch for line wrap, but it shows a nice clear picture with
the orbital nature of the machine obvious, and a glass bowl.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 13 Jun 2005 01:30:42p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>> On Sat 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I'm still not convinced that Kitchenaid ever made an
>> > orbital/planetary mixer with a glass bowl, and I can't imagine they
>> > would, the bowl would

>> I know you're not convinced, but I know what I have in my pantry, which
>> is a KA Model 3C and it does, indeed, have a planetary action beater.
>> If my digital camera was working (my rechargable batteries completely
>> died) I'd snap a picture of it. The two mixers I gave URLs for on eBay
>> were both

> Forget ebay or your camera, here is a link I found
> http://www.execulink.com/~philipreed...w.execulink.co
> m/%7Ephilipreed/Pages/Gallerypages/ka3b.html
>
> Watch for line wrap, but it shows a nice clear picture with
> the orbital nature of the machine obvious, and a glass bowl.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Thanks, BIll!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Jean B.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> <snip>
>

>>I'm still not convinced that Kitchenaid ever made an orbital/planetary
>>mixer with a glass bowl, and I can't imagine they would, the bowl would
>>shatter too easily, especially if fitted with a dough hook. Even with
>>today's modern Kitchenaids, when mixing heavy ingredients you can
>>actually see the stainless steel bowl flex.
>>
>>Anyway, glass bowls were popular and still are with the less costly
>>mixers because glass bowls are far less expensive than stainless steel
>>bowls... even with cookware a lot of manufactures have gone to glass
>>lids, they're much less costly to manufacture than metal.
>>
>>But thanks for the pics.

> I know you're not convinced, but I know what I have in my pantry, which is
> a KA Model 3C and it does, indeed, have a planetary action beater. If my
> digital camera was working (my rechargable batteries completely died) I'd
> snap a picture of it. The two mixers I gave URLs for on eBay were both
> Model 3C, one with a glass bowl and one with what looked like an aluminum
> bowl. Apparently both were available for that model.
>
> As far as a dough hook goes, I don't believe one came with these models.
> At least my grandmother's did not. That model does a creditable job on
> medium to light batters, egg whites, whipped cream, etc. I wouldn't be
> tempted to push it beyond that.

FWIW, I agree, Wayne. I had my grandmother's mixer, which was exactly
how you describe it, with glass bowls. Unfortunately, when I was out of
the country, my someone else had custody of the mixer and broke the
bowls. :-( I will say that those glass bowls were a lot heavier than
the current stainless ones.

Jean B.
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 05:29:21p, Jean B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Sat 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>>I'm still not convinced that Kitchenaid ever made an orbital/planetary
>>>mixer with a glass bowl, and I can't imagine they would, the bowl would
>>>shatter too easily, especially if fitted with a dough hook. Even with
>>>today's modern Kitchenaids, when mixing heavy ingredients you can
>>>actually see the stainless steel bowl flex.
>>>
>>>Anyway, glass bowls were popular and still are with the less costly
>>>mixers because glass bowls are far less expensive than stainless steel
>>>bowls... even with cookware a lot of manufactures have gone to glass
>>>lids, they're much less costly to manufacture than metal.
>>>
>>>But thanks for the pics.

>> I know you're not convinced, but I know what I have in my pantry, which
>> is a KA Model 3C and it does, indeed, have a planetary action beater.
>> If my digital camera was working (my rechargable batteries completely
>> died) I'd snap a picture of it. The two mixers I gave URLs for on eBay
>> were both Model 3C, one with a glass bowl and one with what looked like
>> an aluminum bowl. Apparently both were available for that model.
>>
>> As far as a dough hook goes, I don't believe one came with these
>> models. At least my grandmother's did not. That model does a
>> creditable job on medium to light batters, egg whites, whipped cream,
>> etc. I wouldn't be tempted to push it beyond that.
>>

> FWIW, I agree, Wayne. I had my grandmother's mixer, which was exactly
> how you describe it, with glass bowls. Unfortunately, when I was out of
> the country, my someone else had custody of the mixer and broke the
> bowls. :-( I will say that those glass bowls were a lot heavier than
> the current stainless ones.
>
> Jean B.

Yes, Jean, the bowls are quite heavy and really thick. It's a shame that
your bowls were broken. I have seen the bowls on eBay without the mixers.
You might be able to replace it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Jean B.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 14 Jun 2005 05:29:21p, Jean B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat 11 Jun 2005 10:18:58a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>I know you're not convinced, but I know what I have in my pantry, which
>>>is a KA Model 3C and it does, indeed, have a planetary action beater.
>>>If my digital camera was working (my rechargable batteries completely
>>>died) I'd snap a picture of it. The two mixers I gave URLs for on eBay
>>>were both Model 3C, one with a glass bowl and one with what looked like
>>>an aluminum bowl. Apparently both were available for that model.
>>>
>>>As far as a dough hook goes, I don't believe one came with these
>>>models. At least my grandmother's did not. That model does a
>>>creditable job on medium to light batters, egg whites, whipped cream,
>>>etc. I wouldn't be tempted to push it beyond that.
>>>

>>FWIW, I agree, Wayne. I had my grandmother's mixer, which was exactly
>>how you describe it, with glass bowls. Unfortunately, when I was out of
>>the country, my someone else had custody of the mixer and broke the
>>bowls. :-( I will say that those glass bowls were a lot heavier than
>>the current stainless ones.
>>
>>Jean B.
>>

> Yes, Jean, the bowls are quite heavy and really thick. It's a shame that
> your bowls were broken. I have seen the bowls on eBay without the mixers.
> You might be able to replace it.

Unfortunately, I no longer have that mixer.

IIRC, my grandfather had some kind of peripheral relationship with
Hobart. Hence, the mixer. My mom inherited after her mother replaced
it, and then I had it. It worked perfectly all those years. I still
look back on it fondly, even if those bowls WERE heavy. And those
mixers were orbital, just like the one I have today. (I THINK I got my
mixer while Hobart was still manufacturing them. :-) )

--
Jean B.