jmcquown

Default Yucca's

This is something my friends on the BBQ team who participate in the annual
Memphis in May Q cooking contest make. Those who like to imbibe might
appreciate the recipe for those hot summer days ahead.

Yucca's

1 sun-tea jar with a spout (about 2 quarts)
5 lemons (hand rolled to soften) cut in half
Squeeze out as much juice as possible into the tea jar. Add lemon halves to
the jar
1 cup white sugar
1/5 vodka
Fill jug with crushed ice

Shake the jug for 17 minutes. If you put in the sugar and vodka first, the
vodka will dissolve the sugar and make the mix time faster. They do this as
a team effort (well heck, it *is* a BBQ cooking team) passing the jug around
from person to person to shake it. By the 2nd jug, as you can imagine, they
are usually dancing as they shake shake shake the jug

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> This is something my friends on the BBQ team who participate in the annual
> Memphis in May Q cooking contest make. Those who like to imbibe might
> appreciate the recipe for those hot summer days ahead.
>
> Yucca's
>
> 1 sun-tea jar with a spout (about 2 quarts)
> 5 lemons (hand rolled to soften) cut in half
> Squeeze out as much juice as possible into the tea jar. Add lemon halves to
> the jar
> 1 cup white sugar
> 1/5 vodka
> Fill jug with crushed ice
>
> Shake the jug for 17 minutes. If you put in the sugar and vodka first, the
> vodka will dissolve the sugar and make the mix time faster. They do this as
> a team effort (well heck, it *is* a BBQ cooking team) passing the jug around
> from person to person to shake it. By the 2nd jug, as you can imagine, they
> are usually dancing as they shake shake shake the jug
>
> Jill

What does this have to do wit Yucca's? ;-o

Here I was hoping for a yucca root recipe......
They are available at our local grocery store and
I've no 'clu what to do with them. Dad bought some
and they are sitting in a bag in the bottom of the 'frige.
As soon as they get moldy, I'll toss them to the chooks!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Pierre

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > This is something my friends on the BBQ team who participate in the annual
> > Memphis in May Q cooking contest make. Those who like to imbibe might
> > appreciate the recipe for those hot summer days ahead.
> >
> > Yucca's
> >
> > 1 sun-tea jar with a spout (about 2 quarts)
> > 5 lemons (hand rolled to soften) cut in half
> > Squeeze out as much juice as possible into the tea jar. Add lemon halves to
> > the jar
> > 1 cup white sugar
> > 1/5 vodka
> > Fill jug with crushed ice
> >
> > Shake the jug for 17 minutes. If you put in the sugar and vodka first, the
> > vodka will dissolve the sugar and make the mix time faster. They do this as
> > a team effort (well heck, it *is* a BBQ cooking team) passing the jug around
> > from person to person to shake it. By the 2nd jug, as you can imagine, they
> > are usually dancing as they shake shake shake the jug
> >
> > Jill

> What does this have to do wit Yucca's? ;-o
>
> Here I was hoping for a yucca root recipe......
> They are available at our local grocery store and
> I've no 'clu what to do with them. Dad bought some
> and they are sitting in a bag in the bottom of the 'frige.
> As soon as they get moldy, I'll toss them to the chooks!
> --
> K.

Katra:
Peel them.
Cut into chunks, boil until tender. The fibrous membrane in the center
will have to be removed. do not mash them, or it will be good for
nothing but wallpaper paste. serve with butter. S/P.

For other more elaborate preps; check out any Cuban or Carribbean
cookbook.

Pierre

Katra

In article .com>,
"Pierre" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> > > This is something my friends on the BBQ team who participate in the
> > > annual
> > > Memphis in May Q cooking contest make. Those who like to imbibe might
> > > appreciate the recipe for those hot summer days ahead.
> > >
> > > Yucca's
> > >
> > > 1 sun-tea jar with a spout (about 2 quarts)
> > > 5 lemons (hand rolled to soften) cut in half
> > > Squeeze out as much juice as possible into the tea jar. Add lemon halves
> > > the jar
> > > 1 cup white sugar
> > > 1/5 vodka
> > > Fill jug with crushed ice
> > >
> > > Shake the jug for 17 minutes. If you put in the sugar and vodka first,
> > > the
> > > vodka will dissolve the sugar and make the mix time faster. They do this
> > > as
> > > a team effort (well heck, it *is* a BBQ cooking team) passing the jug
> > > around
> > > from person to person to shake it. By the 2nd jug, as you can imagine,
> > > they
> > > are usually dancing as they shake shake shake the jug
> > >
> > > Jill

> > What does this have to do wit Yucca's? ;-o
> >
> > Here I was hoping for a yucca root recipe......
> > They are available at our local grocery store and
> > I've no 'clu what to do with them. Dad bought some
> > and they are sitting in a bag in the bottom of the 'frige.
> > As soon as they get moldy, I'll toss them to the chooks!
> > --
> > K.
> >

> Katra:
> Peel them.
> Cut into chunks, boil until tender. The fibrous membrane in the center
> will have to be removed. do not mash them, or it will be good for
> nothing but wallpaper paste. serve with butter. S/P.
>
> For other more elaborate preps; check out any Cuban or Carribbean
> cookbook.
>
> Pierre

Ok, I'll check that out and do some googling.
I hate to waste them! They are very large and nearly as fat as a small
yam.

They will _have_ to be peeled as they are covered with wax.

Thank you!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
-L.

jmcquown wrote:
> This is something my friends on the BBQ team who participate in the annual
> Memphis in May Q cooking contest make. Those who like to imbibe might
> appreciate the recipe for those hot summer days ahead.
>
> Yucca's
>
> 1 sun-tea jar with a spout (about 2 quarts)
> 5 lemons (hand rolled to soften) cut in half
> Squeeze out as much juice as possible into the tea jar. Add lemon halves to
> the jar
> 1 cup white sugar
> 1/5 vodka
> Fill jug with crushed ice

AKA lemon Mojito sans mint.

Just gimme a Mojito.

-L.

Andy

"-L." > wrote in news:1118392630.933307.250330
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Just gimme a Mojito.
>
> -L.

-L.,

A bunch of us went to Cuba Libre (fine Cuban cuisine) in Philly for
dinner. I tried a mojito for the first time. Delicious. I had a second
one. Later I stood up and walked a few feet and the room started to tilt
and I damn near fell on my ass! Delicious but it must've been 151 rum. A
dangerous cocktail. I forget what I had for dinner, but there's no
forgetting the mojito.

Andy
-L.

Andy wrote:
> -L.,
>
> A bunch of us went to Cuba Libre (fine Cuban cuisine) in Philly for
> dinner. I tried a mojito for the first time. Delicious. I had a second
> one. Later I stood up and walked a few feet and the room started to tilt
> and I damn near fell on my ass! Delicious but it must've been 151 rum. A
> dangerous cocktail. I forget what I had for dinner, but there's no
> forgetting the mojito.
>
> Andy

The first time I had one was at our girls' reunion - 5 of us from high
school get together every year to get drunk and act naughty, san DHs
and kids. It's one of my favorites now. One killer hangover if you
let it, though.

-L.

jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> This is something my friends on the BBQ team who participate in the
>> annual Memphis in May Q cooking contest make. Those who like to
>> imbibe might appreciate the recipe for those hot summer days ahead.
>>

> What does this have to do wit Yucca's? ;-o
>
> Here I was hoping for a yucca root recipe......

Sorry, that's just what her team calls this particular drink

Rich McCormack

Katra wrote:

> What does this have to do wit Yucca's? ;-o
>
> Here I was hoping for a yucca root recipe......
> They are available at our local grocery store and
> I've no 'clu what to do with them. Dad bought some
> and they are sitting in a bag in the bottom of the 'frige.
> As soon as they get moldy, I'll toss them to the chooks!

Use to make Bolitas de Yuca (Yucca Puffs). I posted
the recipe to the newsgroup as a new message rather
than as a reply to this message.

Rich

Katra

In article >,
Rich McCormack > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > What does this have to do wit Yucca's? ;-o
> >
> > Here I was hoping for a yucca root recipe......
> > They are available at our local grocery store and
> > I've no 'clu what to do with them. Dad bought some
> > and they are sitting in a bag in the bottom of the 'frige.
> > As soon as they get moldy, I'll toss them to the chooks!

> Use to make Bolitas de Yuca (Yucca Puffs). I posted
> the recipe to the newsgroup as a new message rather
> than as a reply to this message.
>
> Rich

I'll have to look for that post, thanks! :-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Sheryl Rosen

Andy at n wrote on 6/10/05 5:32 AM:

> "-L." > wrote in news:1118392630.933307.250330
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Just gimme a Mojito.
>>
>> -L.

> -L.,
>
> A bunch of us went to Cuba Libre (fine Cuban cuisine) in Philly for
> dinner. I tried a mojito for the first time. Delicious. I had a second
> one. Later I stood up and walked a few feet and the room started to tilt
> and I damn near fell on my ass! Delicious but it must've been 151 rum. A
> dangerous cocktail. I forget what I had for dinner, but there's no
> forgetting the mojito.
>
> Andy

Ooh Ohh I've been there!!! Just about a year ago!
My heart got broken there, actually, but that's an entirely other story.

We only went for drinks. I had 3 mojitos. I think they offered me 151 rum,
but I declined. 80 proof rum is strong enough for me, thanks!

It's a gorgeous place. We were at the upstairs bar. The food looked awesome
but we had a Phillies game to go to so we didn't stay for dinner. If I ever
get back down to Phila I would like to go there for dinner, memories of
"some of you know who" not withstanding.

Sheryl
(Who absolutely _had_ to correct the spelling in the subject line. Plurals
are formed without the apostrophe. Nothing irks me more than seeing plurals
formed with apostrophe+s. Grrrrr

Andy

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
:

> Andy at n wrote on 6/10/05 5:32 AM:
>
>> "-L." > wrote in
>> news:1118392630.933307.250330 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Just gimme a Mojito.
>>>
>>> -L.

>> -L.,
>>
>> A bunch of us went to Cuba Libre (fine Cuban cuisine) in Philly for
>> dinner. I tried a mojito for the first time. Delicious. I had a
>> second one. Later I stood up and walked a few feet and the room
>> started to tilt and I damn near fell on my ass! Delicious but it
>> must've been 151 rum. A dangerous cocktail. I forget what I had for
>> dinner, but there's no forgetting the mojito.
>>
>> Andy

> Ooh Ohh I've been there!!! Just about a year ago!
> My heart got broken there, actually, but that's an entirely other
> story.
>
> We only went for drinks. I had 3 mojitos. I think they offered me 151
> rum, but I declined. 80 proof rum is strong enough for me, thanks!
>
> It's a gorgeous place. We were at the upstairs bar. The food looked
> awesome but we had a Phillies game to go to so we didn't stay for
> dinner. If I ever get back down to Phila I would like to go there for
> dinner, memories of "some of you know who" not withstanding.
>
> Sheryl

Sheryl,

Three mojitos??? WOW!

We had to make reservations a month ahead of time. We did get the power
table upstairs in a corner by the windows looking out on the room.

http://cubalibrerestaurant.com/

See the recipe section for their award-winning mojito recipe.

All the best,

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Sharon Chilson

I've only ever cooked with frozen yucca. I boil the frozen pieces till
tender, drain thoroughly, then slice into sort of chunky fingers. Then I
fry them in a skillet with a little vegetable oil until they've browned.
While hot, I sprinkle them with salt. We eat them as a snack.

jmcquown

-L. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> This is something my friends on the BBQ team who participate in the
>> annual Memphis in May Q cooking contest make. Those who like to
>> imbibe might appreciate the recipe for those hot summer days ahead.
>>
>> Yucca's
>>
>> 1 sun-tea jar with a spout (about 2 quarts)
>> 5 lemons (hand rolled to soften) cut in half
>> Squeeze out as much juice as possible into the tea jar. Add lemon
>> halves to the jar
>> 1 cup white sugar
>> 1/5 vodka
>> Fill jug with crushed ice

> AKA lemon Mojito sans mint.
>
> Just gimme a Mojito.
>
> -L.

Except Mojitos are made with rum, not vodka. This is more like
vodka-lemonade. And if you used Jack Daniel's rather than rum or vodka
you'd have a Lynchburg Lemonade

Sheryl Rosen

Andy at n wrote on 6/12/05 9:34 AM:

> Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
> :
>
>> Andy at n wrote on 6/10/05 5:32 AM:
>>
>>> "-L." > wrote in
>>> news:1118392630.933307.250330 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>> -L.,
>>>
>>> A bunch of us went to Cuba Libre (fine Cuban cuisine) in Philly for
>>> dinner. I tried a mojito for the first time. Delicious. I had a
>>> second one. Later I stood up and walked a few feet and the room
>>> started to tilt and I damn near fell on my ass! Delicious but it
>>> must've been 151 rum. A dangerous cocktail. I forget what I had for
>>> dinner, but there's no forgetting the mojito.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Ooh Ohh I've been there!!! Just about a year ago!
>> My heart got broken there, actually, but that's an entirely other
>> story.
>>
>> We only went for drinks. I had 3 mojitos. I think they offered me 151
>> rum, but I declined. 80 proof rum is strong enough for me, thanks!
>>
>> It's a gorgeous place. We were at the upstairs bar. The food looked
>> awesome but we had a Phillies game to go to so we didn't stay for
>> dinner. If I ever get back down to Phila I would like to go there for
>> dinner, memories of "some of you know who" not withstanding.
>>
>> Sheryl

> Sheryl,
>
> Three mojitos??? WOW!

Did I say my heart got broken there?
A girl has to drown her sorrows somehow.....!
Seriously, It was hotter than hell that day and I don't think they really
hit me until after we got to Citizen Bank Park (need I state the obvious
that someone else was driving?).

Yeah, I had 3.

Don't remember much of the next couple hours though. :-)

> We had to make reservations a month ahead of time. We did get the power
> table upstairs in a corner by the windows looking out on the room.
>
> http://cubalibrerestaurant.com/
>
> See the recipe section for their award-winning mojito recipe.
>
> All the best,
>
> Andy

Shaun aRe

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "Pierre" > wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:

might

halves

first,

this

jug

imagine,

> > > What does this have to do wit Yucca's? ;-o
> > >
> > > Here I was hoping for a yucca root recipe......
> > > They are available at our local grocery store and
> > > I've no 'clu what to do with them. Dad bought some
> > > and they are sitting in a bag in the bottom of the 'frige.
> > > As soon as they get moldy, I'll toss them to the chooks!
> > > --
> > > K.
> > >

> > Katra:
> > Peel them.
> > Cut into chunks, boil until tender. The fibrous membrane in the center
> > will have to be removed. do not mash them, or it will be good for
> > nothing but wallpaper paste. serve with butter. S/P.
> >
> > For other more elaborate preps; check out any Cuban or Carribbean
> > cookbook.
> >
> > Pierre
> >

> Ok, I'll check that out and do some googling.
> I hate to waste them! They are very large and nearly as fat as a small
> yam.
>
> They will _have_ to be peeled as they are covered with wax.
>
> Thank you!

Yup!

Only cooked about 4 of 'em, all the same/similar way - peel, split
lengthwise to remove the fibrous fibre fibres, cut cross wise into thick
'chips' and shallow fry in flavoured oil (garlic, chile, pepper, cumin -
whatever). I enjoyed them, Kath even more.

Shaun aRe

Yuca vs. Yucca Steve Pope General Cooking 6 10-02-2006 08:52 PM
Oven-Fried Yucca Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:36 PM
What can I do with yucca? krusty kritter Mexican Cooking 5 01-12-2004 05:53 AM
Simple Yucca Simmer Duckie ® Recipes 0 02-07-2004 03:53 PM