Helen

Default NEW FOOD IDEAS

Hi Folks,

We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new ideas for some
dishes with only these ingredients in them.I have an extremely fussy
family and I need all the help I can get. The ingredients are beef or
chicken, with peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not alot of
green happens in our household!!Please help.
Thanks
Helen

Andy

"Helen" > wrote in news:1118259853.051132.95650
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new ideas for some
> dishes with only these ingredients in them.I have an extremely fussy
> family and I need all the help I can get. The ingredients are beef or
> chicken, with peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not alot of
> green happens in our household!!Please help.
> Thanks
> Helen

Helen,

Here's a link for starters to get you in the recipe "neighborhood."

http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/ingadv.asp

Andy
Elaine Parrish

On 8 Jun 2005, Helen wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new ideas for some
> dishes with only these ingredients in them.I have an extremely fussy
> family and I need all the help I can get. The ingredients are beef or
> chicken, with peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not alot of
> green happens in our household!!Please help.
> Thanks
> Helen

Can you give us an idea of what you are fixing now? It's easier for us to
add to your menu than to start from scratch.

Elaine

Mark Thorson

Helen wrote:

> The ingredients are beef or chicken, with
> peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices.

All of those can be sliced, battered, and deep-fried.
No need to batter the potato or slice the chicken.

You could grind them all up with a food processor
or hand-operated grinder, add salt and spices,
make into balls, and deep-fry. No need to worry
about the proportions, as long as it all holds
together. Beat in a raw egg if you have trouble
getting the raw mash to hold together as a ball.

For a deluxe presentation, you can make a design
with ketchup and mustard on each plate, and serve
the balls placed artisticly on top of the design.

Pete Romfh

Helen wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new
> ideas for some dishes with only these ingredients in
> them.I have an extremely fussy family and I need all the
> help I can get. The ingredients are beef or chicken, with
> peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not alot of
> green happens in our household!!Please help. Thanks
> Helen

Here's a few beef ideas to consider.

* Exported from Mastercook *

Arcadian Shepherd's Pie

Recipe By : Pete Romfh
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
3 tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Eggs; Separated
1/2 cup Butter
8 Potatoes
peeled, boiled, & mashed
2 Onions; Minced
1 tablespoon Tomato catsup
1/2 cup Beef stock
1/2 cup Cream
1/8 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese (grated)

Brown beef and sauté onions in butter until golden. Mix meat with
onions, catsup, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Add a little meat
stock and cook, covered, over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.

Beat egg yolks until light, whites until stiff. Beat yolks, cream,
butter, and garlic powder into mashed potatoes. Gently fold in beaten
egg whites.

Put meat mixture into casserole and top with potatoes. Sprinkle with
Parmesan cheese and bake at 350'. until puffed and browned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from Mastercook *

Beef Carbonnade (beef & beer stew)

Recipe By : Pete Romfh
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

1/4 pound bacon
2 pounds yellow onions, peel &
thinly slice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
3 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
2 cups good dark beer
chopped parsley, garnish

Coarsely dice the bacon and saute it in a large skillet until crisp
and brown. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.

Add the onions to the skillet and cook them in the rendered fat until
tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover the skillet, raise the heat, and
sprinkle the onions with the sugar. Toss and stir them until they are
well browned. Transfer onions to a strainer set over a bowl and let
stand while you prepare the beef.

Stir together on a plate the flour, thyme, salt and pepper, and roll
the cubes of meat around in the mixture until well coated. Shake off
the excess and set the cubes on another plate.

Press the onions gently with the back of a spoon to extract as much of
the cooking fat as possible. Transfer fat to a kettle. Add additional
fat in the form of vegetable oil if it appears you will not have
enough for proper browning of the beef. Be sparing, however, or the
carbonnade will be greasy.

Set the kettle over high heat; when the kettle is very hot, add 6 to 8
beef cubes. Do not crowd them in the kettle or they will not brown
properly. Turn the heat down slightly and continue to cook cubes until
browned on all sides. Transfer them with a slotted soon to a clean
plate and proceed with the browning until all the meat is done.

Preheat oven to 325F.

Pour the beer into the kettle and use a spoon to stir up all the
browned bits on the bottom. Return beef cubes to the kettle along with
the bacon and sauteed onions. Bring to a simmer on the stove. Cover
and set on the middle rack of the oven.

Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until stew is reduced
and thickened and meat is tender. Regulate the oven temperature as
needed to maintain a moderate simmer.

Taste and correct seasoning. Turn stew out into a heated serving dish,
garnish with chopped parsley, and serve immediately.

Serve with egg noodles tossed with butter and poppy seeds, sauteed
apples and black bread. Serve the same beer you used in the stew.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from Mastercook *

Damsel's Cottage Pie

Recipe By : Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon beef base
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup burgundy wine
1 teaspoon thyme
Vegetable Layer
2 cups green beans, (1 can)
Potato Layer
5 medium potatoes, diced
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
-Topping---
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, (1
cup)

1. Brown ground beef - add onion and garlic and saute until onion is
translucent. Add beef base, worcestershire, ketchup, wine, and thyme.
Adjust seasonings as desired. Place meat mixture in an ungreased
9"x13" baking pan.

2. Distribute frozen or canned vegetable(s) of choice over meat
mixture.

3. Boil potatoes until tender. Drain. Add milk and butter. Mash or
whip to desired texture. Cover vegetable layer evenly with mashed
potatoes.

4. Bake at 350" for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese over
potatoes, and return to oven for another 15 minutes.

Cuisine: "British"
Start to Finish Time: "1:30"

Damsel in dis Dress
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from Mastercook *

Deviled Swiss Steak

Recipe By : Pete Romfh
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

3 pounds round steak
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (4-oz) can mushrooms
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1. Cut round steak into serving size pieces. In a small bowl combine
dry mustard, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over the round steak and lb on
both sides with a meat mallet.

2. In a large skillet brown the steak in oil. Pour off the drippings.

3. Drain canned mushrooms reserve the the liquid and enough water to
make 1/2 cup. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and add to the round steak.

4. Cover the skillet tightly and cook slowly for 1-1/2 hours. Add the
reserved mushrooms during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Place the
round steak on a warm serving platter and top with the mushrooms.

Makes 10 servings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from Mastercook *

Dublin Steak With Guinness

Recipe By : www.guinnesscollectorsclub.co.uk/recipes/
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

1 kilogram Rump steak (roast)
2 tablespoons dripping
2 lge. brown onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic,crushed
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup beef stock
1 cup of Guinness
2 large carrots sliced
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme
ground pepper
1/2 cup prunes, halved and pitted
(optional)
Chopped parsley for garnish

Remove any fact from the meat, cut into 1cm cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon
of dripping in a pan and cook onions until pale golden. Add garlic,
cook 1 minute longer, remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper.
Heat remaining dripping in a larger pan, add meat and cook quickly to
brown on all sides. Reduce heat, stir in flour until all meat is
coated. Blend through stock to form a thick smooth sauce. Add Guinness
and stir until mixture comes to simmering point. Add onions, carrots,
herbs and pepper, stir until combined. Simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours,
stirring occasionally to prevent catching. Cook uncovered so that
sauce can reduce and thicken. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Note: If using prunes, add to pan in the final 30 minutes of cooking.
The addition of prunes to this dish adds sweetness and balances the
distinctive bitterness of Guinness.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from Mastercook *

Good Eats Meat Loaf

Recipe By : Alton Brown
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

6 ounces croutons, garlic-flavored
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 egg
-Glaze---
1/2 cup catsup
1 tablespoon ground cumin
dash worcestershire sauce
dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne
pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine
texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion,
carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until
the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable
mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb
mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and
combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the
meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf
out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe
at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the
bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and
honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for
about 10 minutes.

This is very good, but it's even better cooked in a smoker. (There's
nothing quite like smoky meatloaf gravy!)

Source: "http://www.foodtv.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

cathyxyz

Helen wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new ideas for some
> dishes with only these ingredients in them.I have an extremely fussy
> family and I need all the help I can get. The ingredients are beef or
> chicken, with peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not alot of
> green happens in our household!!Please help.
> Thanks
> Helen

You didn't mention if your family like cream or not, but here is a
chicken recipe I came up with:

CHICKEN, CREAM AND MUSHOOM BAKE

4 whole skinless chicken breasts
2 table spoons olive oil
500ml fresh pouring cream
500g sliced mushrooms
4 cloves garlic (minced)
100g butter
salt and black pepper to taste
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon paprika (optional)

Soak chicken breasts in olive oil and 2 table spoons of fresh pouring
cream, season with salt, pepper and paprika (optional). Place in an
oven-proof dish and set aside.

Sauce:

Brown onions, mushrooms and garlic in butter over meidum heat in a wok
or skillet for a few minutes, until the onions are clear to golden
brown. Add the white wine, remainder of the cream, and allow to simmer
until thickened (approximately 10-15 mins).

Once the sauce is done, pour over chicken and bake at 356 degrees F (180
deg C) (uncovered) for approximately 1 hour, or until the chicken is
tender, stirring occcasionally.

Serve with vegetables of your choice.

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Jeffs/Etc.

You don't mention what you already cook, but these ingredients (except
for the potato) are great for stir fry. Here's a basic stir fry
template:

Stir Fry
=====
1 pound meat (beef, chicken, pork), cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced OR 1 tablespoon freh garlic, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 pepper, sliced
Other vegetables (carrots, celery, Chinese cabbage)

Soy sauce (Chinese)
Cooking wine (preferably rice wine)
sugar
corn starch
oil

Mix 2 tablespoons of soy and sugar; add sliced meat and let sit for
half an hour.

Separately, mix any combination of 2 tablespoons of soy sauce with 2
tablespoons of corn starch, and add your choice of 2 tablespoons of
wine, 2 tablespoons of sugar, both, or neither.

Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan (a wok works best); add the
ginger or garlic and let brown, stirring constantly. Add onions and
cook until translucent; add carrots or other hard vegetables and cook
until somewhat tender; add peppers and soft vegetables and cook until
done (again, stir constantly); be careful not to overcook (the
vegetables should be crisp). Remove to a platter.

Add meat and cook. Add vegetables, then add the soy sauce/corn starch
mixture; cook until thickened.

Jeffs

jmcquown

Pete Romfh wrote:
> Helen wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new
>> ideas for some dishes with only these ingredients in
>> them.I have an extremely fussy family and I need all the
>> help I can get. The ingredients are beef or chicken, with
>> peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not alot of
>> green happens in our household!!Please help. Thanks
>> Helen

> Here's a few beef ideas to consider.
>
> * Exported from Mastercook *
>
> Arcadian Shepherd's Pie
>
> Recipe By : Pete Romfh
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beef

> 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef

Pete, Pete, Pete! Surely I don't have to tell you Shepherd's pie is made
with lamb or mutton, not ground beef?!

Jill

jmcquown

Helen wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new ideas for some
> dishes with only these ingredients in them.I have an extremely fussy
> family and I need all the help I can get. The ingredients are beef or
> chicken, with peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not alot
> of green happens in our household!!Please help.
> Thanks
> Helen

Without knowing what you already prepare this is a difficult question.
Maybe try a beef pot pie. Great way to use up some leftover beef pot roast
with onion, carrots, potatoes, peppers and gravy (you may need more gravy.)
Chicken pot pie? You can sneak in "green" in the form of peas if you have
them (heheh). A hamburger soup with onion, potato, peppers, maybe some
canned diced tomatoes if you have them? Season with basil and oregano.

Jill

Pete Romfh

jmcquown wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> Helen wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> We are in a bit of a food rut here and need some new
>>> ideas for some dishes with only these ingredients in
>>> them.I have an extremely fussy family and I need all the
>>> help I can get. The ingredients are beef or chicken,
>>> with peppers,onion,potato and any herbs or spices. Not
>>> alot of green happens in our household!!Please help.
>>> Thanks Helen

>> Here's a few beef ideas to consider.
>>
>> * Exported from Mastercook *
>>
>> Arcadian Shepherd's Pie
>>
>> Recipe By : Pete Romfh
>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Beef
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef

> Pete, Pete, Pete! Surely I don't have to tell you
> Shepherd's pie is made with lamb or mutton, not ground
> beef?!
>
> Jill

I know, but Ranchers Pie didn't sound right.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

FREECYCLE MOM

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Pete Romfh wrote:

>>> Here's a few beef ideas to consider.
>>>
>>> * Exported from Mastercook *
>>>
>>> Arcadian Shepherd's Pie
>>>
>>> Recipe By : Pete Romfh
>>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Beef
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef

>> Pete, Pete, Pete! Surely I don't have to tell you
>> Shepherd's pie is made with lamb or mutton, not ground
>> beef?!
>>
>> Jill

> I know, but Ranchers Pie didn't sound right.
>
> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> promfh at hal dash pc dot org

If it's made with beef, it's called Cottage Pie.

sf

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:52:10 -0400, FREECYCLE MOM wrote:

> If it's made with beef, it's called Cottage Pie.

Is that a British term? I never heard it before RFC.

I grew up on Shepard's Pie made with ground beef. Of course, maybe
that's because ground sheep wasn't easily found and grinding up leg of
lamb would have been akin to grinding up a prime rib.
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

sf wrote on 11 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:52:10 -0400, FREECYCLE MOM wrote:
>
> > If it's made with beef, it's called Cottage Pie.

> Is that a British term? I never heard it before RFC.
>
> I grew up on Shepard's Pie made with ground beef. Of course,
> maybe that's because ground sheep wasn't easily found and grinding
> up leg of lamb would have been akin to grinding up a prime rib.

Well I've been here since 97 or so and I've heard it. I believe I read
it in a Canadian Living Mag. So it might be a Canadian term.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Debbie

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
>> sf wrote on 11 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

>>> Is that a British term? I never heard it before RFC.
>>>
>>> I grew up on Shepard's Pie made with ground beef. Of course,
>>> maybe that's because ground sheep wasn't easily found and grinding
>>> up leg of lamb would have been akin to grinding up a prime rib.

>> Well I've been here since 97 or so and I've heard it. I believe I
>> read it in a Canadian Living Mag. So it might be a Canadian term.

I have known the term as well. I understood Shepherd's pie to made with
lamb and Cottage pie to be made with beef. As my memory can sometimes fail
me, I went a searchin' and found this.

http://www.mitsu4wdclubqld.org/tips/...e_meat_pie.htm

Debbie

sf

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 03:15:18 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> sf wrote on 11 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:52:10 -0400, FREECYCLE MOM wrote:
> >
> > > If it's made with beef, it's called Cottage Pie.

> > Is that a British term? I never heard it before RFC.
> >
> > I grew up on Shepard's Pie made with ground beef. Of course,
> > maybe that's because ground sheep wasn't easily found and grinding
> > up leg of lamb would have been akin to grinding up a prime rib.

> Well I've been here since 97 or so and I've heard it. I believe I read
> it in a Canadian Living Mag. So it might be a Canadian term.

But did you know Shepard's pie is made with ground sheep/lamb BEFORE
you came to rfc? I didn't connect the dots before I read the threads
about Shepard's Pie - sheep/lamb and Cottage = beef. Maybe my mother
got it wrong because she's a product of intermarriage... Scot (via
Canada) & English (via America).

The real story may be that my mother was a very picky eater (even as a
grown up), so she substituted ground beef for the ground sheep/lamb -
but still called it Shepard's Pie because that's what she wanted to
call it. Frankly, I don't know anybody who admits to making Shepard's
Pie - so I have nothing to judge this thread by other than my own
experience.