jw 111

Default freezing avocado flesh

hi, we have just got a big bag of avocadoes, but many are already a bit too
soft.

since we cannot eat all at once, would it be feasable to scope out the good
flesh and put it in plastic boxes and freeze it?

or would that substantially change the taste? which is important since we
dont want them mainly for cooking, but to put in salads.

many thanks john west

Cathyxyz

jw 111 wrote:
> hi, we have just got a big bag of avocadoes, but many are already a bit too
> soft.
>
> since we cannot eat all at once, would it be feasable to scope out the good
> flesh and put it in plastic boxes and freeze it?
>
> or would that substantially change the taste? which is important since we
> dont want them mainly for cooking, but to put in salads.
>
> many thanks john west

I wouldn't freeze them myself, don't think they would freeze well. I
stand to be corrected here, though. What we have done in the past, is
keep the ones that are a bit too soft (whole) in the fridge. This seems
to slow down the ripening process for a day or two.

As for the ones that are already too soft, try making dips with them.
If you do a bit of googling you will find some good recipes for avo
dip. I just make my own, with a bit of lemon juice, salt, black pepper
and chillies (if you like that sort of thing). Its great with corn
chips or the such like.

Cheers
Cathy

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jw 111"
> wrote:

> hi, we have just got a big bag of avocadoes, but many are already a
> bit too soft.
>
> since we cannot eat all at once, would it be feasable to scope out
> the good flesh and put it in plastic boxes and freeze it?

> or would that substantially change the taste? which is important
> since we dont want them mainly for cooking, but to put in salads.

> many thanks john west

FWIW, at least some commercial guacamole is made with frozen avocado
flesh. If it's not made with avocado-flavor powder. For use in salads,
freezing doesn't sound like a real swell option to me. YMMV. Throw
some in the freezer for a day and then thaw it and see what it's like.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Beth Kevles

Hi --

You might try an avocado soup (basically chicken broth with mashed
avocado blended in). Serve it chilled (it's almost 90 degrees here --
I'm into chilled stuff). You can add some spice, whatever one normally
adds to avocado, and maybe some cooked shrimp on top when you serve
it. The soup should last several days in the fridge.

Guacamole can be made with chopped up tomatoes, minced onions, lemon
juice and mashed avocado. Mix well and serve with your favorite chips.
Again, it will last for a day or two if kept sealed in plastic in the
fridge.

Sliced avocados are also nice on sandwiches, or you can kep the halves
intact and fill with a meat salad (ie tuna salad or curried chicken
salad -- your choice).

Trader Joe sells avocados in the frozen food aisle, I think halved and
bagged, but I've never bought them so don't know how I'd use them. You
might see if they have some suggestions on their web site?

I hope this helps. What a wonderful problem to have!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Elaine Parrish

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "jw 111"
> > wrote:
>
> > hi, we have just got a big bag of avocadoes, but many are already a
> > bit too soft.
> >
> > since we cannot eat all at once, would it be feasable to scope out
> > the good flesh and put it in plastic boxes and freeze it?

> > or would that substantially change the taste? which is important
> > since we dont want them mainly for cooking, but to put in salads.

> > many thanks john west

> FWIW, at least some commercial guacamole is made with frozen avocado
> flesh. If it's not made with avocado-flavor powder. For use in salads,
> freezing doesn't sound like a real swell option to me. YMMV. Throw
> some in the freezer for a day and then thaw it and see what it's like.
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
> "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

I agree with Barb. I bought frozen guacamole all the time in the
restuarants. I don't see frozen pulp in the grocery stores, but I do see
frozen guacamole even mow.

I wouldn't think that frozen pulp would be good for slices on salads, etc,
just like cabbage, bell peppers, apples, etc are not firm after freezing.
But it should be fine for dips, dressings, etc.

Elaine, too

Sheldon

jw 111 wrote:
> we have just got a big bag of avocadoes, but many are already a bit too
> soft.
>
> since we cannot eat all at once, would it be feasable to scope out the good
> flesh and put it in plastic boxes and freeze it?
>
> or would that substantially change the taste? which is important since we
> dont want them mainly for cooking, but to put in salads.

I can't imagine cooked avocado anyway... perhaps slightly warmed chunks
as a garnish. Avocado chunks don't freeze very well but mashed/pureed
avocado freezes beautifully.

To learn all about avocado go he http://www.avocado.org

Sheldon

Dimitri

"jw 111" > wrote in message
> hi, we have just got a big bag of avocadoes, but many are already a bit too
> soft.
>
> since we cannot eat all at once, would it be feasable to scope out the good
> flesh and put it in plastic boxes and freeze it?
>
> or would that substantially change the taste? which is important since we
> dont want them mainly for cooking, but to put in salads.
>
> many thanks john west

Avocado freeze quite well. There are 2 things you need to do to prevent as much
oxidation as possible. First add some acid to the mixture, second purge as much
air as is possible from the mixture.

Dimitri

rmg

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I can't imagine cooked avocado anyway... perhaps slightly warmed chunks
> as a garnish. Avocado chunks don't freeze very well but mashed/pureed
> avocado freezes beautifully.

It's pretty good sliced inside an omelet with cheese and a little salsa.
When it heats up it gets a nutty sublime flavor... I used to have that all
the time and now my mouth is watering :-)

Sheldon

rmg wrote:

> It's pretty good sliced inside an omelet with cheese and a little salsa.

Add some ham and you have a Dr. Seuss... Sam I am!

Fuzzy Fur Feet

Shaun aRe

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > I can't imagine

Ahh, that explains quite a lot...

Shaun aRe

Watermelon: Rind/flesh/weight/percentage? [email protected] General Cooking 7 31-05-2015 10:34 PM
Flesh in general. James[_1_] Sushi 8 12-01-2009 03:30 AM
Filthy Flesh eaters - one for you... [email protected] General Cooking 0 11-07-2006 03:50 PM
Nectarine: Remove flesh from core JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms General Cooking 4 12-01-2005 05:32 AM
Fruit (flesh) of the walnut? Any use? Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. General Cooking 29 07-08-2004 01:07 PM