kalanamak

Default focaccia: retry of badly edited post

Len Hockley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for Focatcha bread?
>
> Len Hockley

This was a mutt recipe I made, very very good (from an old post):
I made the dough from 3 cups water, 1 1/2 T salt, 1 1/2 packets yeast, 3
T olive oil, and about 8 cups of 50/50 all purp/bread flour. (This made
two breads)
The topping was
3 red peppers roasted and peeled, whirred in a blender with a tablespoon
of balsamic vinegar and 2 oz of cream cheese, painted on the thinly
rolled dough on a very well greased cookie sheet (half this recipe per
bread). Next, sprinkle on four leeks, cut into strips and sauteed on med
low with a bit of olive oil and garlic until very soft (half of these
per bread). I also popped just a few chopped greek olives on it. Into a
400 degree oven, and in about 5 minutes. Pull out and spread about 3/4 C
of grated Myzithra cheese (per bread) and bake until the crust is done.

Another cut and paste from an old post of mine with a mix of a recipe
for topping by James Beard and the dough from the book I credited:
from Secrets
of a Jewish Baker (...basically 3 cups water: 4 teas yeast: 5 teas salt:
3 T olive oil: 8+ Cups of flour...usual kneading and raising and baked
at 400 F), and put a smear of olive oil on the top of the rolled out
dough, sprinkled with fresh rosemary and romano, and then little
snips in the dough made with a scissors, with fat slivers of garlic
shoved in them, standing up right. Once puffy, I made the usual dents
with happy and child-like jabs with curved fingers, as if ready for the
piano. (The garlic is removed prior to eating).

Hope these help.
blacksalt
Maverick

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> Len Hockley wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone have a recipe for Focatcha bread?
> >
> > Len Hockley

> This was a mutt recipe I made, very very good (from an old post):
> I made the dough from 3 cups water, 1 1/2 T salt, 1 1/2 packets yeast,

Just out of curiosity, how do you measure a half packet of yeast?

Since everything I've heard about baking, I thought the recipes were like
scripture so how do you bake bread with something requiring a "half packet"
of an ingredient?

Not trying to start anything, just curious and eager to learn.

Thanks,
Bret

sf

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:17:26 -0600, "Maverick"
> wrote:

> "kalanamak" > wrote in message
> >
> > This was a mutt recipe I made, very very good (from an old post):
> > I made the dough from 3 cups water, 1 1/2 T salt, 1 1/2 packets yeast,

> Just out of curiosity, how do you measure a half packet of yeast?
>
> Since everything I've heard about baking, I thought the recipes were like
> scripture so how do you bake bread with something requiring a "half packet"
> of an ingredient?
>
> Not trying to start anything, just curious and eager to learn.

You could use just one packet... I think she was "goosing"
the recipe. It was 8 cups of flour, not the usual 4+.

I measure 1/2 a packet by dumping it out and measuring it or
I eyeball it - depending on how recently I've measured a
packet of yeast.

Yeast isn't an absolute commodity like salt, though. You
can use a little more or less and the product will still
turn out just fine. Usually, a little more yeast quickens
rising... but once you're used to the process, you'll enjoy
long rises.

Maverick

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:17:26 -0600, "Maverick"
> > wrote:
>
> > "kalanamak" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > This was a mutt recipe I made, very very good (from an old post):
> > > I made the dough from 3 cups water, 1 1/2 T salt, 1 1/2 packets

yeast,

> > Just out of curiosity, how do you measure a half packet of yeast?
> >
> > Since everything I've heard about baking, I thought the recipes were

like
> > scripture so how do you bake bread with something requiring a "half

packet"
> > of an ingredient?
> >
> > Not trying to start anything, just curious and eager to learn.
> >

> You could use just one packet... I think she was "goosing"
> the recipe. It was 8 cups of flour, not the usual 4+.
>
> I measure 1/2 a packet by dumping it out and measuring it or
> I eyeball it - depending on how recently I've measured a
> packet of yeast.
>
> Yeast isn't an absolute commodity like salt, though. You
> can use a little more or less and the product will still
> turn out just fine. Usually, a little more yeast quickens
> rising... but once you're used to the process, you'll enjoy
> long rises.

Thanks SF! I'm not much into baking so I was curious about it. Now I know.

Thanks,
Bret