Larry G

Default Soybean Oil, where to find it

Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
don't wanna know).

Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
built yet.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

Larry G

"Larry G" > wrote in message ...
> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
> doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
> "no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

Duh, alert. A web search yielded this tidbit:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,282,00.html

soybean oil=vegetable oil ?? Yes or no?

Sometimes I wish some of this commonly known info was more commonly known,
so I didn't feel like an idiot. :-|

Larry

Seth Goodman

In article >, on Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:32:44 -0700,
Larry G wrote:

> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
> carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
> substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".
>
> The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
> don't wanna know).
>
> Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
> something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
> built yet.

Soybean oil is extremely common - almost all oils labeled simply as
"vegetable oil" are actually soybean oil. Check labels at the
supermarket - the actual oil used will be in the ingredients list. Plain
Wesson, IIRC, is 100% soybean oil.

That said, I can't believe using any of the common highly refined oils
(canola, corn, peanut, etc.) would make much of a difference - they're
all almost tasteless.

--
Seth Goodman
Peter Aitken

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> "Larry G" > wrote in message ...
>> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
>> doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
>> "no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

> Duh, alert. A web search yielded this tidbit:
> http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,282,00.html
>
> soybean oil=vegetable oil ?? Yes or no?
>
> Sometimes I wish some of this commonly known info was more commonly known,
> so I didn't feel like an idiot. :-|
>
> Larry

Soybean oil is a vegetable oil, but not all vegetable oils are soybean.
Check the ingredients list.

--
Peter Aitken

I found 100% Soybean Oil on Ebay
Item number: 8191658097 Soybean Oil - 32oz. Bottle.. Good Luck....

Puester

Larry G wrote:
> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
> doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
> "no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".
>
> The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
> don't wanna know).
>
> Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What
> about something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but
> it's not built yet.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

Most of the local markets carry soybean oil right next to the olive,
canola, corn and other oils. Wesson is one brand. Try another
grocery store.

gloria p
zxcvbob

Larry G wrote:
> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
> doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
> "no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".
>
> The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
> don't wanna know).
>
> Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What
> about something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but
> it's not built yet.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

You just want refined vegetable oil. If it says "vegetable oil" on the
label instead of saying "corn oil" or "canola oil" or "peanut oil" or
whatever, it is almost certainly soybean oil. You can then verify by
looking at the tiny print on the back label where somewhere it will tell
you the oil content.
Steve Knight

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:32:44 -0700, "Larry G" > wrote:

>Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
>carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
>substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

you mean your using the cheapest chicken you can find and your using flour and
MSG? that's about all there is to their chicken anymore.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Larry G

"Steve Knight" > wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:32:44 -0700, "Larry G" >
> wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
>>doesn't
>>carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
>>substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

> you mean your using the cheapest chicken you can find and your using flour
> and
> MSG? that's about all there is to their chicken anymore.

That and some pepper I think. Whatever's in the recipe. If you have a better
recipe, have at it. I certainly welcome all ideas. I'd simply, like the
hamburger I told you about before, would like to try it for myself.

Larry

Elaine Parrish

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Larry G wrote:

> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
> carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
> substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".
>
> The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
> don't wanna know).
>
> Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
> something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
> built yet.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

Hey Larry,

"vegetable oil". One of the most common veggies for "vegetable oil"
soybean. The cheaper the oil, the more likely it is to be soybean.
Pretty much, soybean oil is whatever is not labeled Corn oil, Safflower
oil, or Canola oil in the oil section of the grocery store.

Elaine, too

Elaine Parrish

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Seth Goodman wrote:

> In article >, on Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:32:44 -0700,
> Larry G wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket doesn't
> > carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
> > substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".
> >
> > The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
> > don't wanna know).
> >
> > Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
> > something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's not
> > built yet.

> Soybean oil is extremely common - almost all oils labeled simply as
> "vegetable oil" are actually soybean oil. Check labels at the
> supermarket - the actual oil used will be in the ingredients list. Plain
> Wesson, IIRC, is 100% soybean oil.
>
> That said, I can't believe using any of the common highly refined oils
> (canola, corn, peanut, etc.) would make much of a difference - they're
> all almost tasteless.
>

> --
> Seth Goodman

Yeah, I agree. I thought maybe the directions were making a distinction
between using oil instead of lard, which would be very different in taste,
and maybe even shortening, which "sets up" as it begins to cool.

I don't know when that recipe was first generated, but it hasn't been so
long ago that many restaurants commonly used lard. Mickey D's fries were
the best on the planet when they did. <g>

Elaine, too

Frogleg

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:45:15 -0700, "Larry G" >
wrote:

>"Larry G" > wrote in message ...
>> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket
>> doesn't carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil
>> "no substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".

>Duh, alert. A web search yielded this tidbit:
>http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,282,00.html
>
>soybean oil=vegetable oil ?? Yes or no?

It is, as your search turned up, one of the most commonly used veg
oils. However, there are other 'vegetable oils' that are also readily
available -- corn, cottonseed, peanut, olive, etc. Just check the
label and it will tell you. I just looked and one of my big bottles of
oil is labeled 'Vegetable Oil' and is soybean, while the peanut oil is
labeled 'peanut' and I think corn oil also is usually called that.
Szeyung Yu

check your local Asian grocery. They might have it.

Larry G > wrote in message
> Does anybody know where I can find soybean oil? My local supermarket

doesn't
> carry it. I have a KFC clone recipe and it calls for soybean oil "no
> substitutions", says it makes it taste more "authentic".
>
> The main result for search engines is veterinary supply stores (??? - I
> don't wanna know).
>
> Would a health foods (like Henry's Marketplace) store carry it? What about
> something like Smart & Final? We're getting a Sam's Club here, but it's

not
> built yet.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

Soybean paste vs Miso.. Attn Steve Wertz??!! Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 6 24-11-2013 09:43 PM
More than 80 percent of the corn, soybean and cotton grown in theUnited States is genetically engineered. ImStillMags General Cooking 52 16-04-2010 10:19 PM
SoyBean Pasta - tried it - liked it - a lot!! Barbara H Diabetic 2 20-04-2008 01:23 AM
buy soybean blackdog General Cooking 1 17-02-2006 01:33 AM
Soybean hummus? zxcvbob General Cooking 5 07-05-2004 04:20 AM