Default 'Flaming' BBQs- and how to stop them.

I have problems with my BBQ. ("Don't tell me." I hear you say!)

For several years our daughter and family lived in North Carolina (we
live in England, by the way) and I came to appreciate that, due to the
climate, our American friends were masters of the BBQ. I, therefore,
hope that some of them might come to my rescue.

My problem. Firstly I should say that I like to BBQ on charcoal. I do
it solely for the flavour. So I don't have one of those large
machines like cookers on wheels complete with ceramic blocks.

Also I like my meat, be it beef or lamb, to have a reasonable amount of
fat - also for flavour. But I find that this fat melts, drips into the
charcoal, and bursts into flame. The result is my meat ends up
carbonised in 18" high flams as opposed to being cooked. Yet I don't
see these mounting flames in other people's BBQs, who clearly know
what they are doing more than I do. Nor do I see it in restaurants.

What is the answer? Am I using the wrong type of charcoal? Is there
a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?

I've just cooked a lovely rib-steak on the bone (washed down by a
good bottle of Burgundy = oh the joy of it!) but the outside was
charred to xxxxx, whilst the inside was rare to the extent of being
almost raw. So any help would be most, most, most welcome.

Thanks for ever.

Derek

Cathyxyz

> I have problems with my BBQ. ("Don't tell me." I hear you say!)
>

> For several years our daughter and family lived in North Carolina (we
> live in England, by the way)

snip

> My problem. Firstly I should say that I like to BBQ on charcoal.

snip

Good choice.

> Also I like my meat, be it beef or lamb, to have a reasonable amount of
> fat - also for flavour. But I find that this fat melts, drips into the
> charcoal, and bursts into flame. The result is my meat ends up
> carbonised in 18" high flams as opposed to being cooked. Yet I don't
> see these mounting flames in other people's BBQs, who clearly know
> what they are doing more than I do. Nor do I see it in restaurants.
>
> What is the answer? Am I using the wrong type of charcoal?

Probably not.

> Is there a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?

Yes. It's called water..... An old window-cleaner bottle (spray type)
filled with water works wonders, used wisely (aim for the flames, not
the meat).

Alternatively, in the traditional South-African way, you could use
beer; many purists believe that beer from a glass bottle works best,
however, beer from a can works just as well. Warning: don't use too
much beer for dousing flames, or you might stay sober.

> I've just cooked a lovely rib-steak on the bone (washed down by a
> good bottle of Burgundy = oh the joy of it!) but the outside was
> charred to xxxxx, whilst the inside was rare to the extent of being
> almost raw. So any help would be most, most, most welcome.
>
> Thanks for ever.
>
> Derek

Cathy

Damsel

"Cathyxyz" > said:

wrote:

>> Is there a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?

>Yes. It's called water..... An old window-cleaner bottle (spray type)
>filled with water works wonders, used wisely (aim for the flames, not
>the meat).

I like that idea. Thanks!

>Alternatively, in the traditional South-African way, you could use
>beer; many purists believe that beer from a glass bottle works best,
>however, beer from a can works just as well. Warning: don't use too
>much beer for dousing flames, or you might stay sober.

That was my dad's method. And he never used too much beer when dousing the
flames.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
Cathyxyz

Damsel wrote:
> "Cathyxyz" > said:
>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?

> >Yes. It's called water..... An old window-cleaner bottle (spray type)
> >filled with water works wonders, used wisely (aim for the flames, not
> >the meat).

> I like that idea. Thanks!
>
> >Alternatively, in the traditional South-African way, you could use
> >beer; many purists believe that beer from a glass bottle works best,
> >however, beer from a can works just as well. Warning: don't use too
> >much beer for dousing flames, or you might stay sober.

> That was my dad's method. And he never used too much beer when dousing the
> flames.
>
> Carol

A very wise man!
Cathy

> --
> CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
> United States:
> http://www.stopthehunger.com/
> International:
> http://www.thehungersite.com/

anthonyd

> Also I like my meat, be it beef or lamb, to have a reasonable amount of
> fat - also for flavour. But I find that this fat melts, drips into the
> charcoal, and bursts into flame. The result is my meat ends up
> carbonised in 18" high flams as opposed to being cooked. Yet I don't
> see these mounting flames in other people's BBQs, who clearly know
> what they are doing more than I do. Nor do I see it in restaurants.

You keep saying BBQ, but I assume you mean grill based on the problem
you are describing, so that is how I am going to answer your question.

Have you tried creating a two level fire? Here is how I would do it:
cover half the grill in a layer of two or three pieces deep charcoal
(assuming you are using briquettes or something or a similar size and
shape) and leave the other half charcoal-free. This way, you can sear
your meat on both sides over the hot side of the grill and then move it
to the other side and cover the grill to finish cooking by indirect
heat. ThiI use this method any time when you are cooking a piece of
meat that is too thick to cook through while you are searing it. You
can also move the meat to the side if you have a particularly bad
flair-up while you are searing it.

> What is the answer? Am I using the wrong type of charcoal? Is there
> a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?

You could get a spray bottle of water to go after the flare-ups, but
I've never tried this method. Seems like it would just take the temp
of the fire down or create more steam and that doesn't sound great.

Good luck!

Cathyxyz

anthonyd wrote:

> Have you tried creating a two level fire?

No.

> > What is the answer? Am I using the wrong type of charcoal? Is there
> > a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?

> You could get a spray bottle of water to go after the flare-ups, but
> I've never tried this method.

I can tell.

> Seems like it would just take the temp
> of the fire down

Of course it does. That's the intention.

> or create more steam and that doesn't sound great.

If you use the spray correctly, it works well... never seen any steam
on our "grill" and we do it every other night in summer here in South
Africa....

Cathy

anthonyd

> > You could get a spray bottle of water to go after the flare-ups, but
> > I've never tried this method.

> I can tell.

Right because I just told you...

> > Seems like it would just take the temp
> > of the fire down

> Of course it does. That's the intention.

No, it isn't. The intention is to stop the flare-ups that can turn the
outside of your meat into charcoal before the inside is cooked through,
not to lower the temperature of the fire.

What I was saying is that a possible by-product of this method is that
the temp would go down is a bad thing when it comes to searing when you
want really hot coals. Agian, I didn't say you couldn't do it, just
that it would be a concern. Particularly in the case of something
really drippy.

> > or create more steam and that doesn't sound great.

> If you use the spray correctly, it works well... never seen any steam
> on our "grill" and we do it every other night in summer here in South
> Africa....

Where does the water go then? If you are trying to tell me the method
works and my concerns are unfounded, that's fine. As I said, I hadn't
tried it before due to the above mentioned concerns. And my two level
method has been working for me for many, many summers as well.

Elaine Parrish

Hi,

There could be a number of problems and a number of solutions. Youll need
to see what you are doing now to eliminate the ideas I'm tossing out that
don't apply.

There could be: too much charcoal; charcoal hasnt burned down enough
before adding the meat; grill (sorry. We say grill in my part of the US;
BBQ is an end food product not a vessel for cooking) rack (metal thing
that you put the meat on) could be too close to the coals.

Do you use a grill (bbq) with a lid? If so, close lid and partially close
air vents. It takes air to make fire.

Generally, for steaks, I like a hot fire more so than for chops, chicken,
etc. So, some ideas Divide your coals on each end of grill (bbq) and cook
meat in the middle. Move meat over hot coals to sear and then move to the
middle. If you have a small grill, move all coals to one end or one side
and cook meat on the other side.

Some people recommend spraying the fire flame-ups with water from a spray
bottle. I do not. If you spray water on coals, many times the ash will fly
up and coat the meat. Boo, hiss. If you need to put out a flame, lift the
meat off the grill for a second or two.

Dont do away with that fat. It makes for a juicy piece of meat. And keep
the charcoal, too. It makes for Heaven on a plate.

Good luck.

Elaine, too

Michael Odom

On 1 Jun 2005 12:09:38 -0700, wrote:

>I have problems with my BBQ. ("Don't tell me." I hear you say!)
>

>For several years our daughter and family lived in North Carolina (we
>live in England, by the way) and I came to appreciate that, due to the
>climate, our American friends were masters of the BBQ. I, therefore,
>hope that some of them might come to my rescue.

Let me don my cape and mask, first.

>My problem. Firstly I should say that I like to BBQ on charcoal. I do
>it solely for the flavour. So I don't have one of those large
>machines like cookers on wheels complete with ceramic blocks.

Do you have a lid on your grill? It's grilling you're doing, by the
way, not barbecuing.

>Also I like my meat, be it beef or lamb, to have a reasonable amount of
>fat - also for flavour. But I find that this fat melts, drips into the
>charcoal, and bursts into flame. The result is my meat ends up
>carbonised in 18" high flams as opposed to being cooked. Yet I don't
>see these mounting flames in other people's BBQs, who clearly know
>what they are doing more than I do. Nor do I see it in restaurants.
>
>What is the answer? Am I using the wrong type of charcoal? Is there
>a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?

Beer.

Also move the meat away from the hottest coals as needed. Also raise
the meat higher above the coals. Also arrange the coals so that you
have areas that are hotter and areas that are less hot so moving the
meat has the desired effect. All of which is to say: Know your fire.

And if you have a lid for your grill that fits well enough to the
base, you can smother the flames with it as needed. If your grill has
no such lid, I'd seriously suggest getting one that does. Very
useful. In fact, you might end up actually barbecuing!

Do they sell Webber kettle grills in the UK? They're a good product
for the money in my experience.

>I've just cooked a lovely rib-steak on the bone (washed down by a
>good bottle of Burgundy = oh the joy of it!) but the outside was
>charred to xxxxx, whilst the inside was rare to the extent of being
>almost raw. So any help would be most, most, most welcome.
>
>Thanks for ever.

Aw shucks.

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde

Just a quick note to thank all you kind folks who've come so suddenly
to my rescue. Shooting water at the thing seems to be favourite,
despite a few dissenting voices..

Funny. So simple but I'd never thought of it, myself. Assumed I'd end
up with a sort of volcanic slush.

And as for the fact that we here in the UK (and, I think in most of
Europe) 'barbeque' (I barbeque / thou barbeque-est / he, she and it
barbeques) and you (in the US, I've assumed) 'grill' only goes to show
once more that we are two peoples separated by a common language. Not
that we don't 'grill', of course. It's simply that when we do it
outside and set fire to everything combustable, we 'barbeque'! The
difference is useful in helping friends discover they're doing
something else suddenly.

Never mind, I'll take all your suggestions on board and only good can
come of it.

Thanks everybody.

Derek

Gregory Morrow

Why would you want to "stop" them? Homosexuals generally have the tastiest
*and* most tasteful BBQ's...;-p

--
Best
Greg

cathyxyz

anthonyd wrote:
>>>You could get a spray bottle of water to go after the flare-ups, but
>>>I've never tried this method.

>>I can tell.

> Right because I just told you...

Okay, lets get down off our high horses....

>>>Seems like it would just take the temp
>>>of the fire down

>>Of course it does. That's the intention.

> No, it isn't. The intention is to stop the flare-ups that can turn the
> outside of your meat into charcoal before the inside is cooked through,
> not to lower the temperature of the fire.

What I meant was: It does lower the temp of the fire - temporarily -
when it douses the flames, but if your coals are hot enough in the first
place, a little bit of water won't put out the fire - seriously.

> What I was saying is that a possible by-product of this method is that
> the temp would go down is a bad thing when it comes to searing when you
> want really hot coals. Agian, I didn't say you couldn't do it, just
> that it would be a concern. Particularly in the case of something
> really drippy.

The trick here is not to cook the "really drippy" stuff with the
"non-drippy" stuff. Certain fattier meats are the culprits - they are
the ones that cause thse flare-ups, as you pointed out. For example we
cook something called "boerewors", which is a rather fatty type of
sausage - this stuff is mean, it causes a lot of these flare ups... so
we cook it separately from the lean steak etc. that we grill as well, so
that they don't get burnt. Actually, I wasn't joking about the beer, it
can add interesting flavour to the meat too if you spray the meat by
mistake! This only happens if the cook drinks too much beer, before
the grilling is finished heh heh heh.

>>>or create more steam and that doesn't sound great.

>>If you use the spray correctly, it works well... never seen any steam
>>on our "grill" and we do it every other night in summer here in South
>>Africa....

> Where does the water go then? If you are trying to tell me the method
> works and my concerns are unfounded, that's fine. As I said, I hadn't
> tried it before due to the above mentioned concerns. And my two level
> method has been working for me for many, many summers as well.

If you use a very fine spray of water, and use it very sparingly and in
quick bursts, it just douses the flames and not the coals themselves.
You may get the odd puff of steam, but it goes away so fast, its not
really an issue - promise.

Good luck with your grilling (or whatever its called)
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Shaun aRe

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have problems with my BBQ. ("Don't tell me." I hear you say!)
>

> For several years our daughter and family lived in North Carolina (we
> live in England, by the way) and I came to appreciate that, due to the
> climate, our American friends were masters of the BBQ. I, therefore,
> hope that some of them might come to my rescue.
>
> My problem. Firstly I should say that I like to BBQ on charcoal. I do
> it solely for the flavour. So I don't have one of those large
> machines like cookers on wheels complete with ceramic blocks.
>
> Also I like my meat, be it beef or lamb, to have a reasonable amount of
> fat - also for flavour. But I find that this fat melts, drips into the
> charcoal, and bursts into flame. The result is my meat ends up
> carbonised in 18" high flams as opposed to being cooked. Yet I don't
> see these mounting flames in other people's BBQs, who clearly know
> what they are doing more than I do. Nor do I see it in restaurants.
>
> What is the answer? Am I using the wrong type of charcoal? Is there
> a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?
>
> I've just cooked a lovely rib-steak on the bone (washed down by a
> good bottle of Burgundy = oh the joy of it!) but the outside was
> charred to xxxxx, whilst the inside was rare to the extent of being
> almost raw. So any help would be most, most, most welcome.
>
> Thanks for ever.
>
> Derek

We just use a hand-held squeezy plant misting spray, and pay it lots of
attention. Also reduce air flow to the coals if possible, and keep the meat
a reasonable distance from the coals.

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Michael Odom" > wrote in message

> Do you have a lid on your grill? It's grilling you're doing, by the
> way, not barbecuing.

Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we are
barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
'grill'.

We have different nomenclature - so you are incorrect to say he is grilling
rather than barbequing, just as much as he would have been to tell you that
you were grilling, when you said you were broiling - come on folks - this is
a big world ',;~}~

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

cathyxyz

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "Michael Odom" > wrote in message
>

>>Do you have a lid on your grill? It's grilling you're doing, by the
>>way, not barbecuing.

> Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we are
> barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
> done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
> call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
> 'grill'.
>
> We have different nomenclature - so you are incorrect to say he is grilling
> rather than barbequing, just as much as he would have been to tell you that
> you were grilling, when you said you were broiling - come on folks - this is
> a big world ',;~}~
>
> Cheers!
>
> Shaun aRe

Confused me too.... when we "braai" which is our equivalent of an
outdoor "barbeque" (or so I thought) we have the coals under a grid and
the meat sits on top of said grid. Think we need to get our wires
"untangled" here heh heh heh
Cheers
Cathy
--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
anthonyd

snip
> The trick here is not to cook the "really drippy" stuff with the
> "non-drippy" stuff. Certain fattier meats are the culprits - they are
> the ones that cause thse flare-ups, as you pointed out. For example we
> cook something called "boerewors", which is a rather fatty type of
> sausage - this stuff is mean, it causes a lot of these flare ups... so
> we cook it separately from the lean steak etc. that we grill as well, so
> that they don't get burnt. Actually, I wasn't joking about the beer, it
> can add interesting flavour to the meat too if you spray the meat by
> mistake! This only happens if the cook drinks too much beer, before
> the grilling is finished heh heh heh.

I always have trouble when I butterfly and marinate a chicken. I just
never seem to get it dry enough not to flame up. I do think the beer
idea sounds kind of interesting.

snip

> Good luck with your grilling (or whatever its called)

I am talking about grilling. I was distinguishing it from BBQ because
I wasn't sure if that is what the orginal poster meant or not. I think
of BBQ as long, low heat, slow cooking to make things like pulled pork.
I don't have much experience with that so I don't really have any
advice for anyone who is doing that kind of cooking. I'm not sure how
that made me sound like I was on a high horse, but I assure you, my
feet are on the ground! Good luck with your grilling too!

anthonyd

snip

> Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we are
> barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
> done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
> call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
> 'grill'.

Just speaking for myself, I wasn't meaning to be pointed about his
choice of words as much as I was meaning to clarify whether he was
talking about high heat cooking or low heat, lid-on cooking. I don't
know much about slow, low heat cooking, so if he was having the problem
he described doing that, I wouldn't be sure my advice would be helpful.

Shaun aRe

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> >

> >>Do you have a lid on your grill? It's grilling you're doing, by the
> >>way, not barbecuing.

> > Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we

are
> > barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
> > done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
> > call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
> > 'grill'.
> >
> > We have different nomenclature - so you are incorrect to say he is

grilling
> > rather than barbequing, just as much as he would have been to tell you

that
> > you were grilling, when you said you were broiling - come on folks -

this is
> > a big world ',;~}~
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Confused me too....

Who else was confused? ',;~}~

> when we "braai" which is our equivalent of an
> outdoor "barbeque" (or so I thought) we have the coals under a grid and
> the meat sits on top of said grid.

Yup - in UK at the very least <chuckle> = BBQ'ing!

> Think we need to get our wires
> "untangled" here heh heh heh
> Cheers
> Cathy

Why spoil the fun tangled wires can bring to so many?

> I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Me too - it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Shaun aRe
--
Life is the dream you wake up to.

Rhonda Anderson

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in
eenews.net:

> "cathyxyz" > wrote in message

>> when we "braai" which is our equivalent of an
>> outdoor "barbeque" (or so I thought) we have the coals under a grid
>> and the meat sits on top of said grid.

> Yup - in UK at the very least <chuckle> = BBQ'ing!

That's barbecuing in Australia as well.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

modom

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:51:14 +0100, "Shaun aRe"
> wrote:

>"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Do you have a lid on your grill? It's grilling you're doing, by the
>> way, not barbecuing.

>Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we are
>barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
>done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
>call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
>'grill'.
>
>We have different nomenclature - so you are incorrect to say he is grilling
>rather than barbequing, just as much as he would have been to tell you that
>you were grilling, when you said you were broiling - come on folks - this is
>a big world ',;~}~
>
>Cheers!
>
>Shaun aRe

You're right, of course. The place I rented in Provence a few years
back came with a "barbecue" as one of the amenities. It was an item
I'd call a grill. And as Carol said in another post in this thread,
many if not most Americans use the word "barbecue" as you and the OP
do. Also a barbecue is commonly a gathering of friends and family
where outside cooking provides the fare.

I'm sorry if I sounded pointed or if I gave the impression that I was
suffering from any sort of wardrobe malfunction in the undergarment
area. My usage does have a rationale, however. It is congruent with
numerous (US) experts like Bobby Flay and Alton Brown and Stephen
Raichlen, not to mention the sages over in the barbecue newsgroup.
That Carol, whom I admire and respect, thinks I'm suffering a food
purist attack is understandable given that fact that she's never had
my barbecued pork ribs.

modom
Cathyxyz

anthonyd wrote:

> I always have trouble when I butterfly and marinate a chicken. I just
> never seem to get it dry enough not to flame up. I do think the beer
> idea sounds kind of interesting.

Let me make a suggestion for the chicken.... we don't do much in the
way of whole chickens ourselves, but pieces of chicken are popular....
be careful with too much sugary stuff in the marinade, it feeds those
flare-ups no end, and causes the skin to burn... also, have the spray
bottle right at hand when doing it... lock and load, kiddo!

> > Good luck with your grilling (or whatever its called)

> I am talking about grilling. I was distinguishing it from BBQ because
> I wasn't sure if that is what the orginal poster meant or not. I think
> of BBQ as long, low heat, slow cooking to make things like pulled pork.
> I don't have much experience with that so I don't really have any
> advice for anyone who is doing that kind of cooking. I'm not sure how
> that made me sound like I was on a high horse, but I assure you, my
> feet are on the ground! Good luck with your grilling too!

We don't consider BBQ as "long, low heat, slow cooking" here. Not much
experience with that either. Our barbeque is known as a "braai" which
is done with a grid over hot coals with the meat on top of the grid (as
I was saying to Shaun)And very quickly, I might add!

Anyhoo, we are going into winter here now, so we won't be doing too
much "braai-ing" for a coupla months.... You enjoy your nice weather
over there

Cathy

Damsel

modom > said:

>That Carol, whom I admire and respect, thinks I'm suffering a food
>purist attack is understandable given that fact that she's never had
>my barbecued pork ribs.

Admire and respect? You sure you're talking about me? I make chili with
beans and tomatoes, you know.

No, I haven't had your barbecued pork ribs. So it is imperative that you
attend our cook-in this summer!

Thanks for the nice compliments.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Shaun aRe

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in
> eenews.net:
>

> > "cathyxyz" > wrote in message

> >> when we "braai" which is our equivalent of an
> >> outdoor "barbeque" (or so I thought) we have the coals under a grid
> >> and the meat sits on top of said grid.

> > Yup - in UK at the very least <chuckle> = BBQ'ing!
> >

> That's barbecuing in Australia as well.

Hi Rhonda!

Cheers - I knew us lot wuz reight LOL! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - The world ain't all American... YET! <EG!>

Shaun aRe

"anthonyd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> snip
> >
> > Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we

are
> > barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
> > done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
> > call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
> > 'grill'.

> Just speaking for myself, I wasn't meaning to be pointed about his
> choice of words as much as I was meaning to clarify whether he was
> talking about high heat cooking or low heat, lid-on cooking. I don't
> know much about slow, low heat cooking, so if he was having the problem
> he described doing that, I wouldn't be sure my advice would be helpful.

Fair do's! Was just trying to send out a reminder that the world is a big
place with lots of different people(s) in it is all.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:51:14 +0100, "Shaun aRe"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Michael Odom" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >

> >> Do you have a lid on your grill? It's grilling you're doing, by the
> >> way, not barbecuing.

> >Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we are
> >barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
> >done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
> >call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
> >'grill'.
> >
> >We have different nomenclature - so you are incorrect to say he is

grilling
> >rather than barbequing, just as much as he would have been to tell you

that
> >you were grilling, when you said you were broiling - come on folks - this

is
> >a big world ',;~}~
> >
> >Cheers!
> >
> >Shaun aRe
> >

> You're right, of course.

I nearly snipped the whole of the post but this bit LOL! Cheers ',;~}~

> The place I rented in Provence a few years
> back came with a "barbecue" as one of the amenities. It was an item
> I'd call a grill. And as Carol said in another post in this thread,
> many if not most Americans use the word "barbecue" as you and the OP
> do. Also a barbecue is commonly a gathering of friends and family
> where outside cooking provides the fare.

Aye!

> I'm sorry if I sounded pointed or if I gave the impression that I was
> suffering from any sort of wardrobe malfunction in the undergarment
> area.

Nah - although my reply was to you, it wasn't just about commens in this
thread - I've seen quite a few similar comments about: *that's not a this,
it's a that* concerning all different things, when really it just boils down
to differences in global nomencalture, ITSWIM - sorry if *I* sounded pointed
in my reply LOL!

> My usage does have a rationale, however. It is congruent with
> numerous (US) experts like Bobby Flay and Alton Brown and Stephen
> Raichlen, not to mention the sages over in the barbecue newsgroup.
> That Carol, whom I admire and respect, thinks I'm suffering a food
> purist attack is understandable given that fact that she's never had
> my barbecued pork ribs.

Ach - she wurz teasin' no doubt eh?

Later Michael - I'm off home for food now <G!>

Shaun aRe

Lynne A

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> modom > said:
>
> >That Carol, whom I admire and respect, thinks I'm suffering a food
> >purist attack is understandable given that fact that she's never had
> >my barbecued pork ribs.

> Admire and respect? You sure you're talking about me? I make chili with
> beans and tomatoes, you know.
>
> No, I haven't had your barbecued pork ribs. So it is imperative that you
> attend our cook-in this summer!
>
> Thanks for the nice compliments.
>
> Carol
>
> --
> CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
> United States:
> http://www.stopthehunger.com/
> International:
> http://www.thehungersite.com/

Here, here! I haven't had REAL bbq in so long it's a crime-I NEED some real
BBQ~!

Lynne A

anthonyd

> > I always have trouble when I butterfly and marinate a chicken. I just
> > never seem to get it dry enough not to flame up. I do think the beer
> > idea sounds kind of interesting.
> >

> Let me make a suggestion for the chicken.... we don't do much in the
> way of whole chickens ourselves, but pieces of chicken are popular....
> be careful with too much sugary stuff in the marinade, it feeds those
> flare-ups no end, and causes the skin to burn... also, have the spray
> bottle right at hand when doing it... lock and load, kiddo!

I don't usually use too much sugar in marinades. It's the oil that's
giving me problems. I might just do that with the chicken. Just have
to remember not to toss that next empty spray bottle.

snip
> We don't consider BBQ as "long, low heat, slow cooking" here. Not much
> experience with that either. Our barbeque is known as a "braai" which
> is done with a grid over hot coals with the meat on top of the grid (as
> I was saying to Shaun)And very quickly, I might add!

I wonder if it's probably more of an Americas style of cooking then. I
think of it as originating in the Southern US and possibly certain
Mexican and Central American traditions.

> Anyhoo, we are going into winter here now, so we won't be doing too
> much "braai-ing" for a coupla months.... You enjoy your nice weather
> over there

I will! We've had so much rain here in the northeastern US in the last
month, I am thrilled to see the sun today. Stay warm.

Cathyxyz

anthonyd wrote:

snip

> I don't usually use too much sugar in marinades. It's the oil that's
> giving me problems. I might just do that with the chicken. Just have
> to remember not to toss that next empty spray bottle.

Try this: Memo to self.... "do not toss the next empty spray bottle"..

> snip

> > We don't consider BBQ as "long, low heat, slow cooking" here. Not much
> > experience with that either. Our barbeque is known as a "braai" which
> > is done with a grid over hot coals with the meat on top of the grid (as
> > I was saying to Shaun)And very quickly, I might add!

> I wonder if it's probably more of an Americas style of cooking then. I
> think of it as originating in the Southern US and possibly certain
> Mexican and Central American traditions.

I seem to recall reading about Southern American "barbeque pits"... dig
a hole, put in coals, chuck in meat and cover for hours...think that's
what it might mean??? Sound like it could turn out really good, though.

> > Anyhoo, we are going into winter here now, so we won't be doing too
> > much "braai-ing" for a coupla months.... You enjoy your nice weather
> > over there

> I will! We've had so much rain here in the northeastern US in the last
> month, I am thrilled to see the sun today. Stay warm.

We will certainly try... You be good (at it) now...

Cheers
Cathy

modom

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:41:17 -0500, Damsel >
wrote:

>modom > said:
>
>>That Carol, whom I admire and respect, thinks I'm suffering a food
>>purist attack is understandable given that fact that she's never had
>>my barbecued pork ribs.

>Admire and respect? You sure you're talking about me? I make chili with
>beans and tomatoes, you know.

Minor peccadilloes (they're small and half peccary, half armadillo)
aside, you have many fine qualities, ma'am. I liked the way you tried
my chili recipe, for example. It wasn't your cup of red, but that's
fine. You tried it.

>No, I haven't had your barbecued pork ribs. So it is imperative that you
>attend our cook-in this summer!

Wish I could, but the budget for the summer is spent (mostly), and I
believe your schedule conflicts with my Daughter's return from her BIG
POST-GRADUATION TOUR OF EXOTIC PLACES.

modom
Elaine Parrish

On 2 Jun 2005, anthonyd wrote:

> snip
> >
> > Why are some of you being so pointed about this? Here, in England, we are
> > barbequing when doing this, the device we do it upon, is a barbeque, the
> > done food, is barbequed food. What you refer to as 'broiling' is what we
> > call 'grilling' and food is 'grilled' *under* a heat source known as a
> > 'grill'.

> Just speaking for myself, I wasn't meaning to be pointed about his
> choice of words as much as I was meaning to clarify whether he was
> talking about high heat cooking or low heat, lid-on cooking. I don't
> know much about slow, low heat cooking, so if he was having the problem
> he described doing that, I wouldn't be sure my advice would be helpful.

I, too, made the distinction. I wasn't trying to be pointed, either.
I was trying to clarify, as well.

'Round here (which I learned 10 years
ago on this group are two *very important* words) there is a distinct
difference in grilling and bbqing. It's not important that every one use
the same words, but it is very important that we be on the same page, as
it were.

Not only do different countries use different words, we here in
the US are still debating the correct terminology.

Admittedly, here in the southern US, we don't quite understand why USA
folks seem to be confused by the termimology. There are folks BBQing
(cooking long and slow) from coast to coast and sea to shining sea, while
every back yard has a grill where people are cooking hot and fast (by
comparison).

For the most purist of the pure, one can't really be BBQing if they don't
have a "pit" (a stone and/or masonary configuration with its floor dug
into the ground that can be the size of
a small house). Today's upstarts <g> are using a variety of newfangled
contraptions designed especially for slow cooking.

The common backyard grill is for hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, chops, and
steaks, etc. It can be a "slow cooker", but most people never use it for
that.

Don't even get us started on charcoal vs gas grills! <g>

And, yes, we need to remember that it's a big world.

Elaine, too

Elaine Parrish

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, modom wrote:

> You're right, of course. The place I rented in Provence a few years
> back came with a "barbecue" as one of the amenities. It was an item
> I'd call a grill. And as Carol said in another post in this thread,
> many if not most Americans use the word "barbecue" as you and the OP
> do. Also a barbecue is commonly a gathering of friends and family
> where outside cooking provides the fare.
>
> I'm sorry if I sounded pointed or if I gave the impression that I was
> suffering from any sort of wardrobe malfunction in the undergarment
> area. My usage does have a rationale, however. It is congruent with
> numerous (US) experts like Bobby Flay and Alton Brown and Stephen
> Raichlen, not to mention the sages over in the barbecue newsgroup.
> That Carol, whom I admire and respect, thinks I'm suffering a food
> purist attack is understandable given that fact that she's never had
> my barbecued pork ribs.
>

> modom

Tee hee hee. I can relate. I guess the meaning of BBQ only really becomes
clear when one actually BBQs something.

I well remember the days (long, long ago before the new fangled gadgets)
when we'd dig a pit in the ground, fill it full of hickory with a bit of
wild cherry, pecan, and some scraps of black walnut, build a base around
the pit with concrete blocks, use an industrial metal grate on the
base, and toss on a dozen whole shoulders. Then we'd take turns sitting in
our folding lawn chairs mopping the shoulders with bbq sauce and stoking
the fire throughout the night. The next morning when we had to run to the
grocery store for something we had forgotten, everybody would say, "You
smell like BBQ! When's the party?"

Oh, man, I was a lot younger then! But, that was BBQ!

Elaine, too

Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Rick Rider wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:05:51 -0500, Elaine Parrish > wrote:
>

> >> That Carol, whom I admire and respect, thinks I'm suffering a food
> >> purist attack is understandable given that fact that she's never had
> >> my barbecued pork ribs.
> >>

> >> modom
> >>

> >Tee hee hee. I can relate. I guess the meaning of BBQ only really becomes
> >clear when one actually BBQs something.
> >
> >I well remember the days (long, long ago before the new fangled gadgets)
> >when we'd dig a pit in the ground, fill it full of hickory with a bit of
> >wild cherry, pecan, and some scraps of black walnut, build a base around
> >the pit with concrete blocks, use an industrial metal grate on the
> >base, and toss on a dozen whole shoulders. Then we'd take turns sitting in
> >our folding lawn chairs mopping the shoulders with bbq sauce and stoking
> >the fire throughout the night. The next morning when we had to run to the
> >grocery store for something we had forgotten, everybody would say, "You
> >smell like BBQ! When's the party?"
> >
> >Oh, man, I was a lot younger then! But, that was BBQ!
> >
> >Elaine, too

> Brings back memories (or is it flashbacks?). Peace, Love, and good Q! Essentials on the
> road to world peas, er, peace.
>
> Throw some fresh picked corn soaked in brine into the pit and it's a total blowout feast!
>
> Yum, I'm hungry, and not just for the good ole days.

Aw, man, that was some cookin! We'd wrap big ol' spuds in tin foil (it was
TIN back then for all you young'uns out there) and toss them in the pit,
too. We had a big cast iron pot with handles and we'd fill it full
of pork 'n' beans and dump in all the goodies and some trimmings off the
meat and those beans would simmer for 8 or 10 hours. There wasn't a
thermometer in sight!

What a blast from the past!

Groovy.

Elaine, too

Nathalie Chiva

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:31:54 +0100, "Shaun aRe"
> wrote:

>We just use a hand-held squeezy plant misting spray, and pay it lots of
>attention. Also reduce air flow to the coals if possible, and keep the meat
>a reasonable distance from the coals.
>

>Shaun aRe

Actually, I have the same question about flare-ups - but in a gas
grill. How would I go about it? I don't want to extinguish the
gaslights by dousing them with water!

Nathalie in Switzerland

Dual Fuel BBQs sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 09-02-2014 12:20 AM
Beefeater BBQs [email protected] Barbecue 0 31-01-2011 05:23 PM
Flat Grills v Kettle BBQs - Which IS Best?! Brian Anasta General Cooking 14 22-04-2010 10:22 PM
Google Map of Texas's best BBQs Mark Shaw Barbecue 3 26-05-2008 01:18 PM
Flaming scallops Michael Odom General Cooking 15 02-01-2005 03:11 AM