Default Ma's American Chop Suey

MA'S FAMOUS AMERICAN CHOP SUEY (ACS)

My sister agrees, this is Ma's recipe kicked up a few notches to
perfection, about as chunky and hearty as ACS gets!

INGREDIENTS:
I box Mueller's "radiatore" pasta (We've tried several
different types, but the little "radiator" shaped pasta seems to
hold the sauce best!)
3 large green bell peppers, cut into medium large chunks (or, go to
town and make one of them red, for color!)
3 medium large onions, also cut into chunks
2 lbs ground beef (We've tried less and more; this is about the
right amount to make it chunky. I prefer the 75% stuff.)
2 medium cans (16oz?) Hunts tomato sauce (Why Hunt's works best, I
don't know. But it does.)
one healthy palmful of garlic salt, add a bit more to taste
one palmful of salt
one palmful of pepper

Pour radiatore pasta in large pan of boiling water, set timer for 10
minutes.

In a large frying pan/chicken cooker, saut=E9 chopped pepper in a pat of
butter. Immediately begin dropping in small chunks of ground beef
(about the size of small meatballs). Then drop in chopped onions. DO
NOT STIR WITH SPOON, AS IT WILL BREAK UP BEEF. USE SPATULA TO
"FOLD" IT. (Most cooks would recommend draining the fat before
proceeding, but I leave it in for flavor and to make the pasta a bit
more sticky.)

When beef is fully browned and veggies are softened, add both cans of
tomato sauce. Add garlic salt, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about
5 minutes, folding occasionally.

Drain pasta (NEVER rinse pasta!) Combine pasta with sauce mixture,
gently fold with spatula. Simmer on low heat for at least 10 minutes,
folding occasionally.

This stuff tastes great at this point, but seems to taste better if
left for the flavors and textures to marry, perhaps 30 minutes on low.
And it seems to taste even better re-heated the next day! And this
recipe will feed a small family about 3 or 4 meals!

Feeling daring in the morning? Re-heat a bowl for breakfast!

Sheldon

> MA'S FAMOUS AMERICAN CHOP SUEY (ACS)
>
> My sister agrees, this is Ma's recipe kicked up a few notches to
> perfection, about as chunky and hearty as ACS gets!
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> I box Mueller's "radiatore" pasta (We've tried several
> different types, but the little "radiator" shaped pasta seems to
> hold the sauce best!)
> 3 large green bell peppers, cut into medium large chunks (or, go to
> town and make one of them red, for color!)
> 3 medium large onions, also cut into chunks
> 2 lbs ground beef (We've tried less and more; this is about the
> right amount to make it chunky. I prefer the 75% stuff.)
> 2 medium cans (16oz?) Hunts tomato sauce (Why Hunt's works best, I
> don't know. But it does.)
> one healthy palmful of garlic salt, add a bit more to taste
> one palmful of salt
> one palmful of pepper
>
> Pour radiatore pasta in large pan of boiling water, set timer for 10
> minutes.
>
> In a large frying pan/chicken cooker, saut=E9 chopped pepper in a pat of
> butter. Immediately begin dropping in small chunks of ground beef
> (about the size of small meatballs). Then drop in chopped onions. DO
> NOT STIR WITH SPOON, AS IT WILL BREAK UP BEEF. USE SPATULA TO
> "FOLD" IT. (Most cooks would recommend draining the fat before
> proceeding, but I leave it in for flavor and to make the pasta a bit
> more sticky.)
>
> When beef is fully browned and veggies are softened, add both cans of
> tomato sauce. Add garlic salt, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about
> 5 minutes, folding occasionally.
>
> Drain pasta (NEVER rinse pasta!) Combine pasta with sauce mixture,
> gently fold with spatula. Simmer on low heat for at least 10 minutes,
> folding occasionally.
>
> This stuff tastes great at this point, but seems to taste better if
> left for the flavors and textures to marry, perhaps 30 minutes on low.
> And it seems to taste even better re-heated the next day! And this
> recipe will feed a small family about 3 or 4 meals!
>
> Feeling daring in the morning? Re-heat a bowl for breakfast!

Whaddaya mean "Re-heat"... wuss!

Sheldon (some LOs are just better-breakfast cold and congealed, Chinese
take-out, pizza, beef-barly soup are others)

American Chop Suey Janet Bostwick General Cooking 87 08-10-2014 07:22 PM
Chop suey/chapchae Timo General Cooking 0 01-03-2014 04:12 PM
Chicken Chop Suey hotshot1986 Recipes 4 11-08-2011 05:57 AM
Chicken Chop Suey Serendipity General Cooking 37 15-03-2005 06:46 PM
American Chop Suey and Goulash... Alf Christophersen Historic 5 06-10-2003 12:41 AM