L. Raymond

Default Falling cheesecake

I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
cheesecake from falling. When it bakes (12 mins. at 450 degrees
followed by 55 mins. at 300), it expands to almost a half inch above
the rim of the pan, but I've never been able to cool it without having
it fall about 1/4 inch below the rim. Actually, if I could keep it
from expanding so much to begin with, I suspect that would help, but I
don't know what to adjust. It still tastes fine, and everyone who's
eaten some always takes several pieces home, but I think it's too
dense at the end.
Besides vanilla and lemon extract, the ingredients include 40 oz.
cream cheese, 3 T flour, 1.75 C sugar, 4-5 eggs + 2 yolks and 1/4 C
cream.

--

L. Raymond
Curly Sue

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:38:49 GMT, L. Raymond
> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
>cheesecake from falling. When it bakes (12 mins. at 450 degrees
>followed by 55 mins. at 300), it expands to almost a half inch above
>the rim of the pan, but I've never been able to cool it without having
>it fall about 1/4 inch below the rim. Actually, if I could keep it
>from expanding so much to begin with, I suspect that would help, but I
>don't know what to adjust. It still tastes fine, and everyone who's
>eaten some always takes several pieces home, but I think it's too
>dense at the end.
> Besides vanilla and lemon extract, the ingredients include 40 oz.
>cream cheese, 3 T flour, 1.75 C sugar, 4-5 eggs + 2 yolks and 1/4 C
>cream.

Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake undisturbed for another
hour.

Sue(tm)
Levelwave©

L. Raymond wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
> cheesecake from falling.

Did you let it cool in the oven?

~john
L. Raymond

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Levelwave=A9?= > wrote:

>L. Raymond wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
>> cheesecake from falling.

>Did you let it cool in the oven?

I've turned the oven off and let it sit for an hour. I've dropped
the temperature to 100 degrees and let it sit. I've taken it out and
immediately put it under a dome to keep the heat in. It always tastes
excellent, but I'm just not happy with the look.
--

L. Raymond

L. Raymond

Steve Ritter > wrote:

> This time, the cheesecake is still chilling and came out great. And did
>not fall. The taste was fantastic, just licking the bowl told me that. It
>looks great.
>
> The difference: The recipe calls to bake the crust of graham crackers at
>350F for 10 minutes and add the filling to the cooled pan and bake it at
>250 for 1 hour. Let the heat out, and leave the cheesecake in there for
>another hour, then chill.

Similar to my recipe, except I don't like gragham cracker crusts so
I use a lemon pastry. It gets baked at 400 for about 8 minutes,
cooled, then the filling is added.

> The big difference I see is the temperatures. I'll repost his recipe here
>so you can see what I mean. The fact is, that it is baked well, and did not
>fall at all.

I'll have to try these lower temps. I'm going to be making several
cheesecakes soon for a little glaze-tasting party, so I'll have plenty
of chances to experiment with different settings.

>Lower oven temperature to 250 degrees F. Place cheesecake into a preheated
>water bath, in the oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and open the door for
>one minute. Close the door for one more hour. Remove the cheesecake from
>the water bath and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours to completely cool
>before serving.

This is an idea a guest and I were just discussing, whether I should
put the pan into a larger pan of water. Also I see he suggests here
opening the oven for just a minute. I've tried not opening the door
at all, or opening it for about 3-4 minutes. I'll have to try this
shorter time, I guess.

Thanks for these ideas; several things I'll have to try now.
--

L. Raymond
Curly Sue

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:56:10 GMT, L. Raymond

(Curly Sue) wrote:

>>Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake undisturbed for another
>>hour.

> Thanks, but I've done this without any effect on the falling.

Try adding a couple more tbsp of flour. You might not have enough to
stabilize the structure.

Sue(tm)
hahabogus

L. Raymond > wrote in
:

> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Levelwave=A9?= > wrote:
>
>>L. Raymond wrote:
>>
>>> I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
>>> cheesecake from falling.

>>Did you let it cool in the oven?

> I've turned the oven off and let it sit for an hour. I've dropped
> the temperature to 100 degrees and let it sit. I've taken it out and
> immediately put it under a dome to keep the heat in. It always tastes
> excellent, but I'm just not happy with the look.
> --
>
> L. Raymond

I had this last night and I'll admit it fell a little but not much and was
very tasty and nicely browned. It was originally a kraft recipe but I
talked her into modifing the Graham crust by removing 1/4 c crumbs and
adding 1/4 cup chopped nuts. I think coconut in the crumbs would work too.

It was dessert after a fine meal (roast beast) and it had only cooled about
1.75 or 2 hours before we ate it....First time I had ever eaten a warmish
Cheese Cake. But it won't be the last time as it was glorious and melted in
your mouth more than a refridgerated cheesecake does.

Orange Lime CheeseCake

1 cup Graham Waffer Crumbs
1/4 cup Chopped Nuts (Hazelnuts or
Pecans)
1/4 cup Melted Butter
3 pkg (8oz/250gr each) Cream Cheese Room temp.
1 cup Sugar
1 ts Vanilla
1 TB (each) Lemon, Lime, & Orange Juice
1 TB (each) Lemon, Lime, & Orange Peel
3 Eggs

Combine Crumbs, nuuts and Melted Butter and Press into a 9 inch Spring Form
Pan.

Beat Cream Cheese, Sugar and Vanilla on Med Speed till well Blended.
Blend in Juices and Peels.
Add eggs 1 at a time mixing well in between.

Pour over the crust.

Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes or untill center is almost set.

Cool completely on a rack and refridgerate 4 hours or over night before
serving.

Quite enjoyable eaten after barely cooled (almost room temp)
Serve with whipped Cream.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
telmgren

"L. Raymond" > wrote in message
> Steve Ritter > wrote:
>

> This is an idea a guest and I were just discussing, whether I should
> put the pan into a larger pan of water. Also I see he suggests here
> opening the oven for just a minute. I've tried not opening the door
> at all, or opening it for about 3-4 minutes. I'll have to try this
> shorter time, I guess.
>
> Thanks for these ideas; several things I'll have to try now.

I think the pan of water is a must. I make cheesecakes fairly often and
always do this, and have always had perfect (well nearly ;o) cakes.

Steve Knight

set it in a sheet pan with water in it when you cook it.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Wayne Boatwright

Steve Knight > wrote in
:

> set it in a sheet pan with water in it when you cook it.

Be sure and seal the exterior of the springform pan with foil when setting
it in a pan of water.

Wayne
Vox Humana

"L. Raymond" > wrote in message
> I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
> cheesecake from falling. When it bakes (12 mins. at 450 degrees
> followed by 55 mins. at 300), it expands to almost a half inch above
> the rim of the pan, but I've never been able to cool it without having
> it fall about 1/4 inch below the rim. Actually, if I could keep it
> from expanding so much to begin with, I suspect that would help, but I
> don't know what to adjust. It still tastes fine, and everyone who's
> eaten some always takes several pieces home, but I think it's too
> dense at the end.
> Besides vanilla and lemon extract, the ingredients include 40 oz.
> cream cheese, 3 T flour, 1.75 C sugar, 4-5 eggs + 2 yolks and 1/4 C
> cream.

Here is a slightly different view of the problem. It's not that you have a
problem with your cheesecake falling. Your problem is that it expanded.
While there will be some expansion, you want to minimize it. The most
common error it to over-beat the mixture. This incorporates too much air
and expansion follows. As others have mentioned, moderating the temperature
with a water bath will help. You will not only avoid over-expansion, but
the texture will be better. Follow the advice about slow cooling. Also,
when you do remove the cake from the oven, release it from the sides of the
pan before letting it come to room temperature.

Tracey

"L. Raymond" > wrote in message
It always tastes
> excellent, but I'm just not happy with the look.

Well, to save the look of it, just put some strawberries on top, and no-one
will notice :-)

L. Raymond

"Vox Humana" > wrote:

>Here is a slightly different view of the problem. It's not that you have a
>problem with your cheesecake falling. Your problem is that it expanded.
>While there will be some expansion, you want to minimize it. The most
>common error it to over-beat the mixture.

That sounds likely. Once the batter reaches a pudding-like
consistency there's still beating for each egg and the yolks, and I
probably get carried away.

> This incorporates too much air
>and expansion follows. As others have mentioned, moderating the temperature
>with a water bath will help. You will not only avoid over-expansion, but
>the texture will be better. Follow the advice about slow cooling. Also,
>when you do remove the cake from the oven, release it from the sides of the
>pan before letting it come to room temperature.

Thanks; I'll try these ideas for the next one.

--

L. Raymond
Vox Humana

"L. Raymond" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> >Here is a slightly different view of the problem. It's not that you have

> >problem with your cheesecake falling. Your problem is that it expanded.
> >While there will be some expansion, you want to minimize it. The most
> >common error it to over-beat the mixture.

> That sounds likely. Once the batter reaches a pudding-like
> consistency there's still beating for each egg and the yolks, and I
> probably get carried away.

Here is what works for me. I put about half of the cheese and all of the
sugar and flour or cornstarch in the mixer and combine them on low (speed 2
on the kitchenaid). When that is all combined, I add the rest of the
cheese, one package at a time. After all the sugar, starch, and cheese is
combined, I increase the speed slightly and add the eggs, one at a time,
until they are incorporated. At that point I turn off the mixer and stir in
any cream or sour cream by hand. I never go above speed 4 and I only beat
until the eggs disappear.

Ranee Mueller

In article >, L. Raymond
> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
> cheesecake from falling. When it bakes (12 mins. at 450 degrees
> followed by 55 mins. at 300), it expands to almost a half inch above
> the rim of the pan, but I've never been able to cool it without having
> it fall about 1/4 inch below the rim. Actually, if I could keep it
> from expanding so much to begin with, I suspect that would help, but I
> don't know what to adjust. It still tastes fine, and everyone who's
> eaten some always takes several pieces home, but I think it's too
> dense at the end.

I wouldn't start it at such a high temperature. I think I bake mine
at 375 for about 50-60 minutes.

Regards.
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Steve Ritter
> wrote:

> The difference: The recipe calls to bake the crust of graham crackers at
> 350F for 10 minutes...

Oh, that is something else I do, I bake the crust 10 minutes in
advance, then pour the filling in.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Goomba38

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> Oh, that is something else I do, I bake the crust 10 minutes in
> advance, then pour the filling in.

I must be very odd. I can't stand any crusts on my cheesecake. I just like the
solid dense cheesecake itself without anything else.
Goomba

scGram

> > I'm wondering if anyone can offer hints as to how to prevent a
> > cheesecake from falling. When it bakes (12 mins. at 450 degrees
> > followed by 55 mins. at 300), it expands to almost a half inch above
> > the rim of the pan, but I've never been able to cool it without having
> > it fall about 1/4 inch below the rim. Actually, if I could keep it
> > from expanding so much to begin with, I suspect that would help, but I
> > don't know what to adjust. It still tastes fine, and everyone who's
> > eaten some always takes several pieces home, but I think it's too
> > dense at the end.

I always bake mine at a very low temperature for the whole time. If you think
yours is too dense, you might not like the following recipe, but it is a
wonderful new york style cheesecake ... It took me about 3 years to perfect this
recipe. It tastes best after it sits and chills in the fridge for a few days. It
also freezes well after it has had a couple of days to compact and settle.
My oven temperature reads a little higher than it actually is so I think I'm
baking this at about 275 degrees for the three hours.

WHITE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE - My own recipe (Dori)
one of the best cheesecakes I've ever eaten - (just my opinion)
565 Calories per slice
CRUST:
1/4 cup grated pecans
1 cup shortbread cookie crumbs (use more if you want thicker crust)
1/2 stick butter
CHEESECAKE
3 - 8 oz packages Cream Cheese
2 - cups sour cream
1 - package white chocolate chips (12 oz)
3 - eggs
1 - cup sugar
3 - Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 - tsp vanilla extract
1 - tsp Almond extract
POUR into a springform pan
BAKE in Waterbath in 300 degree oven until set (about 3 hours)
COOL in oven - yields 16 slices
DECORATE with drizzles of melted milk chocolate diluted with cream.

Nutrition Facts per serving:
Total:
carbohydrates (from Sugar 64 grams) 70 grams (280 Calories)
Protein 6 grams (24 Calories)
Fat 29 grams (261 Calories)

Total Calories per slice: (16 slices for this recipe) = 565

---------------

WHITE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
(not as good as the recipe above - but much less fattening)
My recipe (Dori Lamer Neu) ) adapted for the Diabetic diet

CRUST
chopped nuts (just dust bottom of greased pan)
CHEESECAKE
3 - 8 oz packages low-fat Cream Cheese
2 - cups nonfat sour cream
6 oz white chocolate chips
3 - eggs
1 - cup splenda
2 - Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 - tsp vanilla extract
1 - tsp Almond extract
BAKE in Waterbath in 300 degree oven until set (about 3 hours)
COOL in oven

16 SERVINGS @ 220 calories per serving
EXCHANGES: 2 fat 1 starch - high fat meat