Paul Ciszek

Default Need recipe for "Pub Cheese"

In Massachusetts, "pub cheese" meant a mixture of sharp cheddar
and blue cheese, made soft and spreadable. In Colorado, the only
"pub cheese" I have found is a brand name, and none of their spreads
resemble the chedder and blue cheese variety.

So, does anyone have a recipe for the stuff? How do you go about
mixing hard cheeses, anyway?

--
Please reply to: | "If more of us valued food and cheer and
pciszek at panix dot com | song above hoarded gold, it would be a
Sheldon

Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In Massachusetts, "pub cheese" meant a mixture of sharp cheddar
> and blue cheese, made soft and spreadable.

That combo sounds disgusting.

> In Colorado, the only
> "pub cheese" I have found is a brand name, and none of their spreads
> resemble the chedder and blue cheese variety.

Why would they, blue cheese mixed with any cheese is disgusting.

> So, does anyone have a recipe for the stuff? How do you go about
> mixing hard cheeses, anyway?

Blue cheese is not a hard cheese, it's considered semi-soft. Blending
blue chese with cheddar is like blending salmon with beef liver... hey,
they're both meat.

I've known folks who buy up those cheese ends you see for half price,
they cube them small and blend them with a stand mixer or food
processor with a little cheam cheese and a few drops of milk or wine
and some seasonings, perhaps red pepper flakes, until a nice manageable
consistancy to form a cheese ball/log and then roll in chopped nuts or
minced herbs.... but they use similar cheeses like gouda with
cheddar... not blue.

Sheldon

Gregory Morrow

Sheldon wrote:

> Paul Ciszek wrote:
> > In Massachusetts, "pub cheese" meant a mixture of sharp cheddar
> > and blue cheese, made soft and spreadable.

> That combo sounds disgusting.

I've been to hillybilly bars from West Virginny to Southron Illanoy to
Colorado to Nuevo Mexico to Michigan and Baltimore and back and I've NEVER
heard of such a thing...string cheese, cheeze curds, etc., but I have NOT
heard of this "pub cheese"...and if this thing existed it would have been
around in the corner taverns of Chicawgo here...since about 1893 or
so...along with Paw's growler...I see NO reference to it then or now.

The ghosts of Pa Kettle and Granny Clampett must be a - hidin' back there in
them MA hills ;---p

--
Best
Greg

> > In Colorado, the only
> > "pub cheese" I have found is a brand name, and none of their spreads
> > resemble the chedder and blue cheese variety.

> Why would they, blue cheese mixed with any cheese is disgusting.
>
> > So, does anyone have a recipe for the stuff? How do you go about
> > mixing hard cheeses, anyway?

> Blue cheese is not a hard cheese, it's considered semi-soft. Blending
> blue chese with cheddar is like blending salmon with beef liver... hey,
> they're both meat.
>
> I've known folks who buy up those cheese ends you see for half price,
> they cube them small and blend them with a stand mixer or food
> processor with a little cheam cheese and a few drops of milk or wine
> and some seasonings, perhaps red pepper flakes, until a nice manageable
> consistancy to form a cheese ball/log and then roll in chopped nuts or
> minced herbs.... but they use similar cheeses like gouda with
> cheddar... not blue.
>
> Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 May 2005 05:41:41p, Paul Ciszek wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In Massachusetts, "pub cheese" meant a mixture of sharp cheddar
> and blue cheese, made soft and spreadable. In Colorado, the only
> "pub cheese" I have found is a brand name, and none of their spreads
> resemble the chedder and blue cheese variety.
>
> So, does anyone have a recipe for the stuff? How do you go about
> mixing hard cheeses, anyway?

Try this:

English Pub Cheese

11 oz. cream cheese
4 oz. blue cheese
4 oz. medium cheddar
1 ts. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 ts. Tobasco Sauce

Finely grate cheddar. Allow all cheeses to come to room temperature.
Combine all ingredients in bowl of food processor. Process until mixture is
creamy. Turn into crock and refrigerate for several days before serving.

Note: If you like a little more bite, add grated horseradish to taste.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Shaun aRe

"Paul Ciszek" > wrote in message
> In Massachusetts, "pub cheese" meant a mixture of sharp cheddar
> and blue cheese, made soft and spreadable. In Colorado, the only
> "pub cheese" I have found is a brand name, and none of their spreads
> resemble the chedder and blue cheese variety.
>
> So, does anyone have a recipe for the stuff? How do you go about
> mixing hard cheeses, anyway?

Mature blue Stilton is quite soft, as is Danish blue, and in fact many of
them. If you grate the cheddar, cut/crumble the soft cheese into it to the
best of your ability, you should be able to add such as warm milk, bit at a
time and get it to soften further, blend, and bind together - I'm guessing
here, but it is based on experience, so...

Shaun aRe

Paul Ciszek

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>Try this:
>
>English Pub Cheese

Thank you! Can you cite an origin for this recipe?

> 11 oz. cream cheese
> 4 oz. blue cheese

Would gorgonzola work well for this, do you think?

> 4 oz. medium cheddar
> 1 ts. Worcestershire Sauce
>1/2 ts. Tobasco Sauce
>
>Finely grate cheddar. Allow all cheeses to come to room temperature.
>Combine all ingredients in bowl of food processor. Process until mixture is
>creamy. Turn into crock and refrigerate for several days before serving.
>
>Note: If you like a little more bite, add grated horseradish to taste.

If I had my druthers, it would be horseradish *instead* of tobasco.

--
Please reply to: | "When the press is free and every man
pciszek at panix dot com | able to read, all is safe."
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 29 May 2005 05:47:45p, Paul Ciszek wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>Try this:
>>
>>English Pub Cheese

> Thank you! Can you cite an origin for this recipe?

Funny you should ask. This is based on a "cheese ball" recipe that my mom
made for as long as I can remember. I have no idea where she got the
recipe.

As a cheese ball she also added coarsely chopped pecans, parsley flakes,
and dehydrated onion flakes. The ball of cheese was rolled in a mixture of
chopped pecans and parsley flakes.

I sometimes make the cheeseball, but more often than not I make it as I
originally posted for you and pack it into a crock.

>> 11 oz. cream cheese 4 oz. blue cheese

> Would gorgonzola work well for this, do you think?

It, of course, would be a different taste, but I think it would be
delicioius.

>> 4 oz. medium cheddar
>> 1 ts. Worcestershire Sauce
>>1/2 ts. Tobasco Sauce
>>
>>Finely grate cheddar. Allow all cheeses to come to room temperature.
>>Combine all ingredients in bowl of food processor. Process until
>>mixture is creamy. Turn into crock and refrigerate for several days
>>before serving.
>>
>>Note: If you like a little more bite, add grated horseradish to taste.

> If I had my druthers, it would be horseradish *instead* of tobasco.

Have your druthers and substitute the horseradish for the tobasco. I think
it would be great!

This is really a very flexible recipe. One note, though, as a potted
cheese... If the mixture is a little too firm, add a tablespoon or two of
cream and mix well.

If you make it, let me know how you like the result.

Best regards...

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
FREECYCLEMOM

> Paul Ciszek wrote:
> > In Massachusetts, "pub cheese" meant a mixture of sharp cheddar
> > and blue cheese, made soft and spreadable.

Here are 9 recipes for cheese balls that could be used as "pub cheese"
-= Exported from BigOven =-

Appetizer Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 12
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Cheese
Categories: Appetizer, Parsley, Cheese, Mustard, Garlic, Apple, Cream, Blue Cheese, Cream Cheese, Broccoli, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
8 ounces Cream Cheese; Room Temp.
4 ounces Blue Cheese, Crumbled
4 ounces Cheddar Cheese; Shredded
2 teaspoons Mustard; Dijon-style
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Pecans; Finely Chopped
2/3 cup Currants
3/4 cup Parsley; Chopped
~~ DIPPERS ~~
Assorted Crackers
Apple Wedges

-= Instructions =-
Place the cream cheese, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and salt in a mixer bowl and beat at low speed just until well mixed. Stir in the pecans and currants. Taste and adjust seasoning. Refrigerate the cheese mixture for 30 minutes or until slightly firm, then shape into a ball. Roll in the chopped parsley to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Place on a platter surrounded with crackers and apple wedges. From Geminis MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 19798 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Bacon Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Cheese
Categories: Onion, Cheese, Garlic, Cream, Cream Cheese, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
1 pound Bacon
8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
8 ounces Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
Chopped Nuts

-= Instructions =-
Cook bacon; drain and crumble. Combine with rest of ingredients (except nuts) and form into ball. Roll in nuts. File ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmkah001.zip

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 25955 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Brandy Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 10
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Cheese
Categories: Parsley, Cheese, Garlic, Sesame, Cream, Blue Cheese, Cream Cheese, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
4 ounces BLUE CHEESE,SOFT,CRUMBLED
8 ounces CREAM CHEESE,SOFTENED
2 tablespoons PARSLEY,FRESH,CHOPPED
2 tablespoons BRANDY OR COGNAC
1 GARLIC CLOVE,FINELY CHOPPED
1/3 cup SESAME SEED, TOASTED

-= Instructions =-
BEAT BLUE CHEESE, CREAM CHEESE, PARSLEY, BRANDY AND GARLIC IN SMALL BOWL ON LOW SPEED UNTIL SMOOTH. COVER AND REFRIGERATE ABOUT 6 HOURS OR UNTIL FIRM. JUST BEFORE SERVING, SHAPE CHEESE MIXTURE INTO A BALL; ROLL IN SESAME SEED. GARNISH WITH CHOPPED PARSELY IF DESIRED. From Geminis MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 43436 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Carols Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 3
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Grains
Categories: Red wine, Wine, Cheese, Garlic, Cream, Cream Cheese, Muffins, Breads

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 Cloves garlic
1 Jar Roka
1 Jar Old English Sharp
2 Tubs
8 ounces Cream cheese
2 tablespoons Red wine vinegar
Cracker Barrel cheese

-= Instructions =-
Mash garlic and salt till a paste forms. Blend in all cheeses and beat with a blender. Add the vinegar and blend till smooth. Mold into 3 cheese balls. These can be frozen at this time. Thaw to serve. Before serving, "roll" in chopped nuts. Recipe By : Kathy Molitor From: Western Mexican Cookbook File ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmdja006.zip

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 53200 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Cheddar Blue Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Cheese
Categories: Onion, Cheese, Cream, Blue Cheese, Cream Cheese, Celery, Totest, Holidays, Appetizers, Crs

-= Ingredients =-
1 pk (8oz) cream cheese,
Softened
1 pk (10oz) sharp Cheddar cold
Pack cheese spread
1/4 cup (1oz) blue cheese, crumbled
dash Celery salt
dash Onion salt
1/2 cup (4oz) chopped walnuts

-= Instructions =-
Beat cream cheese, add in Cheddar until well mixed. Stir in blue cheese, celery and onion salts to taste. Roll into a ball then roll in nuts. Chill several hours until firm. Country Accents Christmas Cookies and Holiday Entertaining Ideas 1995 From Geminis MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 56156 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Cheddar Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Cheese

-= Ingredients =-
2 pk (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1/2 pound Cheddar Cheese
2 teaspoons Grated Onion
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 can (2-1/2 oz) Deviled Ham
1 1/2 teaspoons Parsley
2 tablespoons Drained Chopped Pimento

-= Instructions =-
(makes 2 balls) Mix with mixer. Shape into balls. Roll in chopped pecans. Chill in fridge. Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01 Number 427 by on Dec 31, 1997

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 56170 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Cheddar-Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Cheese

-= Ingredients =-
3/4 pound Mild cheddar cheese,
1/2 pk (8 oz) cream cheese
2 tablespoons Butter, softened
2 tablespoons Finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon Low-sodium Worcestershire
1 tablespoon Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey
1 teaspoon Dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
3 tablespoons Finely chopped fresh parsley
Benne-Seed Wafers (optional)

-= Instructions =-
In food processor with chopping blade, process the cheddar and cream cheeses, butter, onion, Worcestershire, bourbon, mustard and paprika until smooth. Refrigerate until firm enough to handle. When cheese mixture is manageable, shape into ball. Roll ball in chopped parsley and place on serving platter. Surround ball with Benne-Seed Wafers, if desired, and serve or refrigerate until ready to serve. 12 servings. Per serving: protein: 8 grams; fat: 15 grams; carbohydrate: 1 gram; fiber: 1 gram; sodium: 225 miligrams; cholesterol: 45 miligrams; calories: 169. *** Dont recall where i got this recipe. Posted to EAT-L Digest 04 Sep 96 From: "Anita M. Cousar" > Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:51:13 -0400

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 56257 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Cheese Ball with Hot Sauce

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Grains
Categories: Onion, Cheese, Garlic, Cream, Cream Cheese, Muffins, Breads, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar
Cheese
18 ounces Cream cheese
2 dr Hot Sauce (Texas Pete or
Better)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Clove garlic -- minced
1 Onion -- minced

-= Instructions =-
Combine all ingredients. Shape into a ball (or 2). Roll in chopped nuts. Recipe By : KTaub From: Western Mexican Cookbook File ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmdja006.zip

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 56396 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Red Cheese Ball

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 3
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Cheese
Categories: Garlic Salt, Sherry, Onion, Cheese, Garlic, Cream, Cream Cheese, Celery, Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 pound Chedder cheese, finely
3 ounces Package cream cheese,
3 tablespoons Sherry
1/4 cup Coarsely chopped, pitted
1/2 teaspoon Worcestersire sauce
1 dash Onion salt
1 dash Garlic salt
1 dash Celery salt
1/2 cup Coarsely snipped dried beef

-= Instructions =-
Several days ahead or day before serving, mix in a large bowl with mixer at medium speed the chedder cheese, cream cheese, sherry, ripe olives, Worcestershire sauce, onion salt, garlic salt and celery salt. Now shape mixture into a ball, wrap in foil, then refirgerate until needed. About 30 minutes before serving, remove foil from cheese ball. Reshape into ball with hands, then roll it in the dried beef until it is thoroughly coated. Makes about a 3-inch ball. From Geminis MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven. BigOven.com ID= 39606 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
READYTORV
2002 FOREST RIVER SUNSEEKER LE