Default Bread yeast

Anyone have an idea for what to use 10#(yes 10 pounds) of dried bread
yeast for?

Besides making a LOT of bread.

Dad was at restaurant GOB sale yesterday. He bought a bunch of stock
racks and some came with food still on them. Some is stale, most is
still usable.

Not sure what to do with 10# of yeast though. Considering one uses
about 1TB in a standard recipe. This is in 1# packages.

Dad thought I could use it in my homebrewing, but he didn't realize
that not all yeasts are the same. Beer yeasts are cultured for very
specific traits, that are pretty much counter to what bread yeast is
cultured for, but in any case...

Any ideas? I am not much of a baker, but I do love good bread. Maybe
it's time to learn.

JW

I agree with sharing. I have successfully kep a 1 lb package fropm
Costo for well over a year in a tightly sealed plastic container in the
fridge. I would only take it out and open it when the need arose. It
may well have lasted 2 years.

OK, who wants some? I don't know anyone that bakes(or even cooks much
for that matter). My Mom would be the only one, and she already has
her allottment. Post me offline and I will send some to whoever
responds first (and covers postage).

But, the septic system idea isn't bad. But I am not sure it will
actually work. Septic systems are pretty anerobic, and yeast likes an
aerobic environment. Reminds me that I need to get the pumped, it's
been a little while.

JW

No Yeast Bread Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-06-2007 01:56 AM
bread yeast Marc Winemaking 3 30-12-2004 08:11 PM
bread yeast Marc Winemaking 0 30-12-2004 05:31 PM
Non Yeast Bread Jerry Reed Baking 1 05-02-2004 07:59 PM
Chocolate bread, with yeast? Nexis General Cooking 7 06-01-2004 03:23 AM