Dave Boland

Default Potpie recipe with biscuit crust top and bottom?

Does anyone have a recipe like this? Normally this is done with a pie
crust, but I would like to use biscuit mix top and bottom if possible.
My efforts so far have been disappointing.

Thanks,

jmcquown

Dave Boland wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe like this? Normally this is done with a pie
> crust, but I would like to use biscuit mix top and bottom if possible.
> My efforts so far have been disappointing.
>
> Thanks,

Not difficult. Prepare your biscuit dough (enough for 10 biscuits) and then
roll half of it out and line the bottom of a pie pan with it. NOTE: It will
rise and be "thick" when it's baked. Then add your pot pie filling, and top
with the other half of the dough. You can roll it out and top it like a pie
crust or just drop the dough on top like drop biscuits.

I've done this with a burgundy beef & veggie pie and it works just fine.
Not a recipe for no or low-carbers

Jill

Dave Boland

jmcquown wrote:
> Dave Boland wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a recipe like this? Normally this is done with a pie
>>crust, but I would like to use biscuit mix top and bottom if possible.
>>My efforts so far have been disappointing.
>>
>>Thanks,

> Not difficult. Prepare your biscuit dough (enough for 10 biscuits) and then
> roll half of it out and line the bottom of a pie pan with it. NOTE: It will
> rise and be "thick" when it's baked. Then add your pot pie filling, and top
> with the other half of the dough. You can roll it out and top it like a pie
> crust or just drop the dough on top like drop biscuits.
>
> I've done this with a burgundy beef & veggie pie and it works just fine.
> Not a recipe for no or low-carbers
>
> Jill

Thanks Jill.

Dave,

DJS0302

> Not difficult. Prepare your biscuit dough (enough for 10 biscuits) and then
>> roll half of it out and line the bottom of a pie pan with it. NOTE: It

>will
>> rise and be "thick" when it's baked. Then add your pot pie filling, and

>top
>> with the other half of the dough. You can roll it out and top it like a

>pie
>> crust or just drop the dough on top like drop biscuits.
>>
>> I've done this with a burgundy beef & veggie pie and it works just fine.
>> Not a recipe for no or low-carbers
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Thanks Jill.
>
>Dave,

I thought I would add in my two cents worth. I've made chicken pot pies using
homemade biscuit dough and I've learned two things. The first is make sure you
have plenty of gravy or broth in your filling, especially if you have both a
top and bottom crust. I've made a pot pie in a 9X13 pan and I've used between
5 and 6 cups of gravy. The biscuit dough will absorb quite a bit of the juice
and if you don't have enough your pot pie will be dry. The second thing I've
learned is if your pot pie does have a bottom crust you may want to partially
bake it before adding in your filling and your top crust.
Puester

Dave Boland wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe like this? Normally this is done with a pie
> crust, but I would like to use biscuit mix top and bottom if possible.
> My efforts so far have been disappointing.
>
> Thanks,

I have done this as a top crust but I can't imagine using
biscuit dough as a bottom crust. It will absorb much of
the liquid and become very soggy. The only way I can imagine
to get around that is to make the "pie" without crust and
serve it over biscuits.

gloria p

DJS0302

>I have done this as a top crust but I can't imagine using
>biscuit dough as a bottom crust. It will absorb much of
>the liquid and become very soggy. The only way I can imagine
>to get around that is to make the "pie" without crust and
>serve it over biscuits.
>
>gloria p

I make my pot pies with a top and bottom biscuit dough crust all the time and
they're never soggy. In fact, if you don't use enough liquid the pot pie will
come out rather dry.
jmcquown

DJS0302 wrote:
>> Not difficult. Prepare your biscuit dough (enough for 10 biscuits)
>> and then
>>> roll half of it out and line the bottom of a pie pan with it.
>>> NOTE: It will rise and be "thick" when it's baked. Then add your
>>> pot pie filling, and top with the other half of the dough. You can
>>> roll it out and top it like a pie crust or just drop the dough on
>>> top like drop biscuits.
>>>
>>> I've done this with a burgundy beef & veggie pie and it works just
>>> fine. Not a recipe for no or low-carbers
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Thanks Jill.
>>
>> Dave,

> I thought I would add in my two cents worth. I've made chicken pot
> pies using homemade biscuit dough and I've learned two things. The
> first is make sure you have plenty of gravy or broth in your filling,
> especially if you have both a top and bottom crust. I've made a pot
> pie in a 9X13 pan and I've used between 5 and 6 cups of gravy. The
> biscuit dough will absorb quite a bit of the juice and if you don't
> have enough your pot pie will be dry. The second thing I've learned
> is if your pot pie does have a bottom crust you may want to partially
> bake it before adding in your filling and your top crust.

I never partially baked mine; I do agree there should be plenty of gravy in
the filling. I'll have to dig out my recipe for burgundy beef pie; been
years since I made it.

Oh, and a note: Bisquick has a recipe for Impossible Cheeseburger Pie which
calls for the biscuit mix to be used as a bottom crust. I think that's
where I got the idea, since I'm lousy with regular pastry/pie crusts

Jill

Tara

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:38:57 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Oh, and a note: Bisquick has a recipe for Impossible Cheeseburger Pie which
>calls for the biscuit mix to be used as a bottom crust. I think that's
>where I got the idea, since I'm lousy with regular pastry/pie crusts

Bisquick's Impossible Pies don't end up with a bottom crust. The
batter rises to the top and forms a sort-of top crust.

Tara
jmcquown

Tara wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:38:57 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Oh, and a note: Bisquick has a recipe for Impossible Cheeseburger
>> Pie which calls for the biscuit mix to be used as a bottom crust. I
>> think that's where I got the idea, since I'm lousy with regular
>> pastry/pie crusts

> Bisquick's Impossible Pies don't end up with a bottom crust. The
> batter rises to the top and forms a sort-of top crust.
>
> Tara

Perhaps now that's true, but back when my mom first made the recipe
(probably around 1977) it had a bottom crust. You stirred in a little
(about 2 Tbs.) of the Bisquick mix to the hamburger filling before topping
with cheese.

Jill