Terry Davis

Default Vegetable garden

I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?

How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?

Terry

sarah bennett

Terry Davis wrote:
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?
>
> Terry

you won't save any money, but home grown veggies are generally worth the
effort. (particularly with tomatoes and other fruit bearing vines)

--

saerah

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Bubba

Terry Davis wrote:

> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
>small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
>the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
>would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
>How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?
>
>Terry

I'll say that you can...but you probably won't. It pretty much depends
on how much effort you're willing to put into it, what sort of things
you grow, and where you live. My "original" garden plot has saved me a
bundle, but the only outlay I had was $60 worth of mushroom compost when
I first dug it, and seed money...it's never seen any "store-bought"
fertilizer or pests treatment. But....I have a compost pile, a leaf
mold pile, and a burn pit for ash, and readily available manure. I also
tend to raise those items which costs the most....and....I live in an
area where I get 3 growing seasons a year.
On the other hand....last year I bought 600 concrete blocks to build
raised beds in which I'm playing with square-foot gardening. There's no
way that I'm going to save money there.
What you will get, is a superior product and probably a great sense of
satisfaction!
In a nutshell: if you spend $500 on a tiller to plant radishes....you're
not saving money....but you will have some damn tasty radishes!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

David Hare-Scott

"Terry Davis" > wrote in message
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?
>
> Terry

You will gain a great deal in the quality and freshness of your veges, and
thus flavour and nutrition. You might also gain in variety depending on
your local suppliers, your skill and climate. You may save money but only
if you don't count your labour at a very high rate and you can get manure,
mulchable organics, etc cheaply or free. OTOH if you all work the garden
instead of paying for the gym your veges might be free. Your gain in
satisfaction will probably be huge.

Where you will lose is in not having varieties out of season, exotics that
you just cannot grow and in gluts at certain times of the year. With
attention to the cultivars that you grow and successive plantings these
problems can be reduced to some extent.

Yes I grow my own.

David

Shaun aRe

"Terry Davis" > wrote in message
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?

We do, but not all of them - just some/what we can. Save money? *Maybe*, as
others have said (the more you want to save, the more effort you will have
to put in, and it's pretty much an exponential thing up to a point), but
what you will do is have a great time, much better than store bought produce
(if you get it right!), and if you're like me, you'll cry when a whole bunch
of your seedlings suddenly up and die for some reason and there's no time to
plant more for the season, heheheheheh!

I plant a seed etc. - soon as it has sprouted, it's one of my babies - you
won't believe how much they can drag you right in, how much love, care and
attention they inspire you to give them. I love to go round to our plot,
tend to things, then just sit back and chill with a cold one, take in the
vibe of it all - excellent. 'Life', heheheh...

Cheers!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Dwayne

Good morning Terry. I pretty much agree with the rest of the posters on
saving money, but the object lessons for your daughter (if she is pretty
young) will be invaluable. Most kids love to plant and watch things grow.

Watch your property for a couple of says and find out where your property
stays sunny all day, where you get 6 to 8 hours of sun, and where you get 4
or less of sun. Then decide what you love to eat that is expensive to buy.

You don't say where you live, so lets assume strawberries, garlic,
artichokes, grapes, raspberries, blackberries, asparagus, and fruit trees
will grow there, and live through the winter. Locate these in full sun (6
to 8 hours a day). If these are what you like to eat, plan on making a
permanent bed for them. Have a pH test run on different areas of your
property. Most gardens require a soil pH of between 5.5 and 7. Blueberries
like 5 or maybe even a little less.

I had a 7 acres in Arkansas once, and found that 17 blackberry plants would
produce more than 15 gallons per year. Forty ever-bearing strawberries fed
two of us all we wanted, and the slugs got the rest. I had an 80 ft long
asparagus bed and had to pick it every other day. We had all we wanted to
eat, and I put it in the freezer. The blueberries, grapes, and fruit trees
were just getting old enough to start producing really well, when we decided
to move.

Get a pressure and a hot water bath canner and jars, a freezer and a space
saver machine that sucks the air out of the bags before you freeze it, and
if you like dried fruit, and dehydrator. Learn how to use them correctly.
People on rec.food.preserving can help you with that. Then you can store
the extra that you grow, or you can give it away or even sell it.

Learn how to pull weeds. Learn how to hoe weeds. Learn how to remove
weeds. Did I put enough emphasis on weed removal?

Have fun.

Dwayne

"Terry Davis" > wrote in message
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?
>
> Terry

cathyxyz

Shaun aRe wrote:

>....... and if you're like me, you'll cry when a whole bunch
> of your seedlings suddenly up and die for some reason and there's no time to
> plant more for the season, heheheheheh!

Or the birds get to the seedlings, as was the case with us. We have
enclosed our veggie garden with very fine shade-cloth over a framework
- keeps birds out and lets the sun in.

> I plant a seed etc. - soon as it has sprouted, it's one of my babies - you
> won't believe how much they can drag you right in, how much love, care and
> attention they inspire you to give them. I love to go round to our plot,
> tend to things, then just sit back and chill with a cold one, take in the
> vibe of it all - excellent. 'Life', heheheh...

It is so great to have fresh veggies. We had a whole lot of onions and
sweet potatoes (still eating them) and don't forget the chillies!. I
didn't have to buy onions for about 3 months, so it does save you money
sometimes. But as another person pointed out, you still have to buy the
"out of season" veggies. We have had cabbage, carrots, lettuce, and
leeks too. And green beans. I think it's worth it if you have the time
and people-power to tend to them.

Cheers
Cathy
--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Fresh garden veggies are a whole lot better than those shipped in to
stores.My wife canned 40 qts.of tomatoes last year.As soon as corn is
picked,the sugar starts turning to starch and by the time it arrives at
the outlet,it has lost taste.Few people know this,because not many have
tasted fresh picked corn.Some SE (sugar enhanced) varieties will hold
their sugar for up to a day after picking,but the seed is expensive and
few commercial growers plant it.Good luck in your efforts

Gardens don't save money? Store bought tomatoes are $3.00-4.00 a
pound here,depending on what variety you buy.

Shaun aRe

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> >....... and if you're like me, you'll cry when a whole bunch
> > of your seedlings suddenly up and die for some reason and there's no

time to
> > plant more for the season, heheheheheh!

> Or the birds get to the seedlings, as was the case with us. We have
> enclosed our veggie garden with very fine shade-cloth over a framework
> - keeps birds out and lets the sun in.

Not with ours usually - we grow them in greenhouses until large enough to be
fairly if not totally safe from birds. We've just erected a 12 x 22 foot
polytunnel as well now, fo things like my chiles, the tomatoes and whatever
else we dream up to put in there ',;~}~

> > I plant a seed etc. - soon as it has sprouted, it's one of my babies -

you
> > won't believe how much they can drag you right in, how much love, care

and
> > attention they inspire you to give them. I love to go round to our plot,
> > tend to things, then just sit back and chill with a cold one, take in

the
> > vibe of it all - excellent. 'Life', heheheh...

> It is so great to have fresh veggies. We had a whole lot of onions and
> sweet potatoes (still eating them) and don't forget the chillies!.

Forget chiles? - NEVER! That's what I'm a bit sad about this year - very
poor germination with mine, then over half of the seedlings died. The rest
aren't looking great either - they've not grown at all so you'd notice, in
over 2 weeks. I hope they survive and have a good growth spurt!

A while ago we managed to over-winter 2 chile plants in the house and they
did superbly in their second season (last year) with such a head start, and
produced heavily from very early to very late, but they got too big to bring
into the house, and try though I did, no way to keep them warm enough to
survive in a greenhouse here over winter - we had a parafin greenhouse
heater going non-stop and a calor gas heater too for a while, as an
experiment (expensive one too!), but they died regardless.

For next season I plan on getting a much larger heated propagator and
planting many, many more seeds than I did this year - if we have to many
seedlings to plant out in the polytunnel in the end, we can sell some on
easily enough.

> didn't have to buy onions for about 3 months, so it does save you money
> sometimes.

Yup! Innitial layout for tools, greenhouses, manure, all sorts of things
eats into it though, and people often forget about that money when working
out how much they've saved. - Will our polytunnel ever pay for itself?
Maybe, but not by savings alone - we intend to sell some fresh produce
(already have takers for a lot of excess), as well as make finished products
to sell on too - Kath is a multiple first prize winning preserve maker -
she's taken 1st in every event she's entered (bloody show of LOL!) - so
she's been making some already and selling it from a table set out at the
edge of the plot, money into a tin to pay for things like new seeds and
plants etc. I will be making chile sauces too - I make excellent ones by all
accounts. We also plan on making tomato/oinion and herb sauces to sell on.
That's the only way we'll ever have a chance to see the plot pay for
itself - to have fun turning this into a little business.

We grow onions each year too, usually corn as well (like this year),
rhubarb, strawberries (we did have current bushes and raspberries too, but
they became diseased so we dug them out - we'll have more again, in a
different part of the plot we are preparing) squash types of some sort (last
year we grew courgette/marrows though - had heaps of lovely little
courgettes, left some that I tended carefully to grow to marrow size -
biggest one was about 10lb in weight, and totally unblemished! It never made
it into food though in the end, because we had so much, even after making
gallons of marrow wine, ginger marrow jam, giving all takers some - all
sorts, we still had loads left. We have some pumpkin to go in this year,
might do some melon in one of the greenhouses too.

> But as another person pointed out, you still have to buy the
> "out of season" veggies. We have had cabbage, carrots, lettuce, and
> leeks too. And green beans. I think it's worth it if you have the time
> and people-power to tend to them.

Yup! We both work full time and have busy lives generally, but have help all
the time from Kath's dad - he's retired, and the plot is one of his
pass-times (I just wish he didn't love concrete so much! He's not a
'gardener's gardener', IYKWIM...)

I have to go round tonight to check on things actually - see if my chiles
are doing any better, poor things...

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"T" > wrote in message
> Fresh garden veggies are a whole lot better than those shipped in to
> stores.My wife canned 40 qts.of tomatoes last year.As soon as corn is
> picked,the sugar starts turning to starch and by the time it arrives at
> the outlet,it has lost taste.Few people know this,because not many have
> tasted fresh picked corn.

Heheh, so true! We have a corn BBQ on the plot itself at least once a year
around corn harvest time, just to taste it at its very best - delicious! A
real eye opener for me the first time that was...

Shaun aRe

Dog3

sarah bennett > wrote in
:

> Terry Davis wrote:
>> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
>> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
>> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
>> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>>
>> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?
>>
>> Terry
>>

> you won't save any money, but home grown veggies are generally worth the
> effort. (particularly with tomatoes and other fruit bearing vines)

I'll agree with the tomatoes. My neighbor lets me pick and eat his
tomatoes when ripe. They are better than anything I've gotten at the
supermarket and better than most farmer's markets.

Michael
Shaun aRe

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...

> This really doesn't count but I grow chiles. I'm doing them in pots this
> year.

Great stuff! What varieties have you got in this season? Do you grow from
seed each year, or do you try to overwinter any? Hope they do well for you
',;~}~

This year I've not done well so far, but if they all survive I have 1, 2 or
so each Jamaica Red Hot, Fatali, Orange Habanero, Chocolate Habanero, Yellow
Scotch Bonnet, (all chinense) one seedling has just sprouted of my Hot Lemon
(IIRC) and that is all.

I have put some Bolivian Rainbow seeds in late to *try* and make up for the
losses, but no sign of any shoots yet. Also got some seeds from pods we
bought that aren't sprouting yet - just some grown in Zimbabwe - 'red' ones,
as well as some from Scotch Bonnets.

Also have a Chiltepin plant that Katra sent me from Texas last year - it
survived winter since they are a hardier plant, but it still took a hard
knock and is taking its time coming back...

Guess next year will have to be my first major chile grow season when we are
better organised - I plan on planting as many chinense/chinensis varieties
as I can next year, including one that chileseeds.co.uk has that's been bred
by a university horticulture department to have lots of that tropical,
fruity habanero type flavour but almost no heat at all - figure that one
will go down REALLY well with the hard-core mild-heads ',;~}~

> I have herbs in pots too. I also have cilantro and creeping oregano
> growing (in ground) as they make terrific ground covers and smell

terrific.

Herb gardens are great aren't they? I love the smell too. We've just planted
a small one up at our plot, and Kath is busy designing and building a big
raised bed for more, too.

> I am very sun challenged here.

Where is that then Michael?

> While 3 have been taken down, I still have
> a bunch of huge pin oaks so sun is not something I have an abundance of.

> may put a small greenhouse on the west side of the house and try to grow
> some tomato plants. I do get sun on that side of the house. <shrug> I
> could always till up the entire front lawn. The front part of the house
> gets full sun most of the day.

Yes - we lack a bit of sun on our plot, since they built tall properties
nearly all along the southern edge of it, and now with the big polytunnel,
we have one greenhouse that is quite shaded most of the time - guess we will
have to use it to suit.

Till up the *front lawn*? Isn't there someone at your house that would
seriously object to such a move then?

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Dimitri

"Terry Davis" > wrote in message
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?

<Snip>

I grow herbs not veggies.

IMHO

In determining the economy of growing your own veggies you must factor in the
cost of your labor at the going rate for a garden attendant. What if you had to
outsource that labor? Or factor in the cost of your rate of pay. If you spend
several hours a week in the garden you would probably be way ahead of the game
taking a part time job at Starbucks and buying your vegetables.

Do it because you LIKE to garden. Do it because of the better flavor of home
grown vs commercial grown. If you think of it as labor - do not start its hard
work and requires attention constantly to be successful.

Dimitri

Sheldon

cathyxyz wrote:
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> >....... and if you're like me, you'll cry when a whole bunch
> > of your seedlings suddenly up and die for some reason and there's no time to
> > plant more for the season, heheheheheh!

> Or the birds get to the seedlings, as was the case with us. We have
> enclosed our veggie garden with very fine shade-cloth over a framework
> - keeps birds out and lets the sun in.

That's too much like work and wasted dollars... put up a few decoy owls
and whirligigs... they look really k-ewl and they keep the mauraders
well at bay. Cabelas.com has the best deal on owls and there are many
websites selling very nicely made whiligigs at good prices, or there
may be local craftsmen selling them close to where you live. Birds are
deathly afraid of owls and the sudden noise and motion of whiligigs
keeps birds and small animals far away. For deer there's no getting
around it, you'll need a fence. Unless I had a very small garden or
wanted to protect a few individual plants but covering an entire garden
with netting is something I wouldn't consider.

Sheldon

Dee Randall

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cathyxyz wrote:
>> Shaun aRe wrote:
>>
>> >....... and if you're like me, you'll cry when a whole bunch
>> > of your seedlings suddenly up and die for some reason and there's no
>> > time to
>> > plant more for the season, heheheheheh!

>> Or the birds get to the seedlings, as was the case with us. We have
>> enclosed our veggie garden with very fine shade-cloth over a framework
>> - keeps birds out and lets the sun in.

> That's too much like work and wasted dollars... put up a few decoy owls
> and whirligigs... they look really k-ewl and they keep the mauraders
> well at bay. Cabelas.com has the best deal on owls and there are many
> websites selling very nicely made whiligigs at good prices, or there
> may be local craftsmen selling them close to where you live. Birds are
> deathly afraid of owls and the sudden noise and motion of whiligigs
> keeps birds and small animals far away. For deer there's no getting
> around it, you'll need a fence. Unless I had a very small garden or
> wanted to protect a few individual plants but covering an entire garden
> with netting is something I wouldn't consider.
>
> Sheldon

<snip>For deer there's no getting
around it, you'll need a fence. <snip>

6' high - minimum
Speaking from experience.
Dee

Sheldon

Terry Davis wrote:
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?

Economically... Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

You've already answered your question, "a *small* garden".

Start off SMALL! A 10' x 10' plot is a good sized beginning. All
you'll need to start off is about a $50 investment; a spade, a garden
fork, a long handled cultivator, a roll of weed block... and a strong
back. I'll assume you already own a watering hose. Don't even think
about gardening to save money... it's a HOBBY.. all hobbies are
expensive. I have a 2,500 square foot vegetable garden... I bet I have
more start-up costs invested in it than you do in your family
automobile, and I spend more on it each year than you do running and
maintaining your family automobile. And you're not going to feed your
family, the best you can hope for is "supplimenting"... even
professional farmers need to buy most of their family's produce.

Economics is the least criteria to consider, if you don't really,
really enjoy hard physical labor and for many long hours don't do it...
if you do decide to garden you will not need any stupid gym membership,
so you will save money there... I mean I never could see the sense in a
bunch of retards getting together like so so many hamsters in squirrel
cages, and then paying for the privlidge yet... the most important
benefit from gardening is that it's the best hobby for maintaining
physical (and mental/intellectual) fitness... there are only two kinds
of people, those who grow turnips and those who are turnips.

Sheldon

The Joneses

Terry Davis wrote:

> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?
>
> Terry

Good for you, Terry. I don't think one *saves* a lot of money, but picking
my own lettuce an hour before I eat it means alot. The nice thing about
gardening is that you can pick and choose crops you like best. I grow
mostly herbs (& tomatoes!), my lettuce in window boxes I can move to the
shade, and desert hardy plants. I would definitely spend some time
planning. Plan various types with the eat fresh (oh, the sugar snap peas!)
or preserving method in mind. Check out the growing/harvesting days, when
best to plant (I plant dill in February and September), and soil
conditions. Maybe plant things that like acider soils on one side, etc.
Although if you use good compost this may not be as important as spacing &
trellising, etc. Rhubarb & horseradish need a lot of space. Check out your
local agent or free USDA pamphlets if in USA for amount of crops needed for
family. The _Ball Blue Book_ (a canning bible) can be bought in most
Walmarts for about $7 has a short table on how much to plant common garden
items for how much yield in various forms. _Stocking Up_, another
preserving gospel, has some charts on how best to preserve various crops.
These books ought to be in your local liberry as well. And stop in to
rec.food.preserving and check out people putting up the groceries. Good
Luck!
Edrena

cathyxyz

Sheldon wrote:

> cathyxyz wrote:

>>Or the birds get to the seedlings, as was the case with us. We have
>>enclosed our veggie garden with very fine shade-cloth over a framework
>>- keeps birds out and lets the sun in.

<snipping>

> That's too much like work and wasted dollars... put up a few decoy owls
> and whirligigs... they look really k-ewl and they keep the mauraders
> well at bay.

<snip some more>
We have real owls. They are obviously not "union members" cos they did
NOTHING.... Maybe some "Sheldon-puppets" would do the trick heh
heh heh

For deer there's no getting
> around it, you'll need a fence.

We have an electric one... that seems to keep deer out (or bokke as they
are known here...

Unless I had a very small garden or
> wanted to protect a few individual plants but covering an entire garden
> with netting is something I wouldn't consider.

We only covered 12 x 30 feet... just to give the seedlings a chance...
before moving them onto the 25 acre plot (that we use the
trimmer-from-h*ll on) ....

Cheers
Cathy - who is still researching her family trees, or is that roots?
Sarah

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> cathyxyz wrote:

>>>Or the birds get to the seedlings, as was the case with us. We have
>>>enclosed our veggie garden with very fine shade-cloth over a framework
>>>- keeps birds out and lets the sun in.

> <snipping>
>
>> That's too much like work and wasted dollars... put up a few decoy owls
>> and whirligigs... they look really k-ewl and they keep the mauraders
>> well at bay.

> <snip some more>
> We have real owls. They are obviously not "union members" cos they did
> NOTHING.... Maybe some "Sheldon-puppets" would do the trick heh heh heh
>

> For deer there's no getting
>> around it, you'll need a fence.

> We have an electric one... that seems to keep deer out (or bokke as they are
> known here...
>

> Unless I had a very small garden or
>> wanted to protect a few individual plants but covering an entire garden
>> with netting is something I wouldn't consider.

> We only covered 12 x 30 feet... just to give the seedlings a chance... before
> moving them onto the 25 acre plot (that we use the trimmer-from-h*ll on) ....
>

> Cheers
> Cathy - who is still researching her family trees, or is that roots?

WOW! The most we have to contend with are green fly and squirels! Definitly not
exotic!

Sarah

Puester

Terry Davis wrote:
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?
>
> Terry

We've been married almost 39 years and have always had a veg garden.
When we lived on the east coast, we grew everything from asparagus to
zucchini in a 40x120 ft. garden. Potatoes, four or five kinds of
tomatoes, strawberries, summer and winter squash, many kinds of peppers,
cantaloupe, three kinds of corn, etc.

Now that we are in Colorado with its iffy climate for gardening (with
snow possibly as late as June 8 and as early as Sept 2.) our garden is
tiny--tomatoes, golden zucchini, and flowers. Oh, and a whiskey barrel
full of herbs.

It's worth having a garden if you enjoy puttering around and picking
things you grew yourself. If it's just another dreaded yard chore,
forget it.

gloria p
Ken

> > Sheldon

> <snip>For deer there's no getting
> around it, you'll need a fence. <snip>
>
> 6' high - minimum
> Speaking from experience.
> Dee

We've discovered that deer don't like to jump into small, enclosed
spaces. So a 5' fence will keep them out of a 10'X10' garden. A
friend had a big garden about 8'X50', but the deer wouldn't jump in
because they didn't like the skinny, enclosed area. Maybe we're just
lucky, or there's plenty of other forage, but so far so good for the
last several years. (Okay, blast away, but that's what we've
discovered with our deer.) I was out on my deck last night and saw the
first buck of the season munching next door. I went out and set up a
temporary fence around my tomatoes, the real fence is one chore for
this weekend.

On the subject of saving money, if you figure in your time, you're
probably buying expensive vegies. But I'd say you can save money on
herbs. A small bunch of basil is $1.50 or more in the market. Just
plant it and leave it. The deer won't touch the herbs, so that's not a
problem. Just before dinner, go out and pick what you need for that
dish. Rosemary takes care of itself, mints do fine with some water,
oregeno needs water, but not much else, and fresh herbs cost an arm and
a leg in the stores. And fresh herbs are never very fresh in the store.
So if you don't have much space, or even just some containers, herbs
might be the best bang for the buck.

Ken

Dave Smith

Terry Davis wrote:

> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?

It depends on how big your garden is, how much work you want to put into it
and how much you can put up for use later. When I was a kid we used to get
enough beans out of our garden that we could freeze them and have enough
beans for dinners several times per week for the rest of the year. Corn is
cheap and easy to grow and has become absurdly expensive around here over
the last few years. Tomatoes also tend to provide a real bounty.

The best thing about growing your own vegetables is the access to garden
fresh produce. Some things, like root vegetables are sometimes better after
a period of storage, but most things are a lot better fresh out of the
garden. Asparagus is right at the top of the list for me, followed by peas,
beans, tomatoes, strawberries and raspberries. Sometimes it is more about
the freshness and quality than savings.

If you have to buy a rototiller, you might as well get a good one and make
the garden bigger. It will save you countless hours of heavy digging.

aem

Terry Davis wrote:
> I just purchased a home in the country and I am thinking of starting a
> small garden to grow my own veggies. I have a wife and a daughter so
> the garden will feed 3 people. Is this idea economically feasible or
> would I be better off just buying my veggies at the market?
>
> How many in this group grow your own veggies for cooking?

Add us to the list of those who grow their own. As is clear from the
lot of work or a little, and the varieties grown are limited only by
your climate. (don't bother trying to fight that, by the way) My
advice is to start small and see whether you like it. It's fairly
simple to get started and doesn't have to be a lot of work. There are
endless resources of information out there. You'll know soon enough
whether it becomes a chore or a pleasure. If the former, then say the
hell with it, if the latter, you'll still be doing it when the mortgage
is finally paid off. -aem

Our garden consist of just 1.5 acres,but not that much work,because
we still have the four tractors/ implements from when we planted a whole
lot more.We don't use weed killers or chemical pesticides and like
knowing our produce is 'clean'.

Dave Smith

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> Our yard is short on sunny spots, so we grow herbs instead of
> vegetables. i have parsley, mint, thyme, and chives in a large
> windowbox, a large pot of oregano, and a rosemary bush that we
> inherited. Later on I'll plant some basil seedlings.

Good luck with the basil. It needs lots of light, especially of it is the
purple ruffled variety.

Dave Smith

Puester wrote:

> It's worth having a garden if you enjoy puttering around and picking
> things you grew yourself. If it's just another dreaded yard chore,
> forget it.

I used to like getting stuff fresh from the garden, but never much
appreciated the work involved. I used to spend at least an hour every night
weeding and cultivating. The soil here is very rich. After all that work
through the week I would go away for the weekend and when I got back the
garden was overgrown with weeds again.

I once asked my wife to hoe the weeds in the garden while I was at work. I
came home to find nice straight rows of weeds. She didn't know the
difference between weeds and bean plants. She was so out of touch with
gardening that she would go out to the fruit and vegetable garden and buy the
same stuff that we were growing in the garden. Then the black walnut trees
got big enough that they ruined the garden in that spot.

My vegetable garden is now restricted to a corner of the flower garden where
I grow herbs and a few tomato plants. In one corner of the yard I have a
bunch of raspberry canes, and last weekend I planted to rhubarb plants. I
think my wife has the right answer. When the stuff is ripe in the garden it
is dirt cheap at the neighbours' vegetable stands.

Sheldon

T wrote:
> Our garden consist of just 1.5 acres.

*Just* 1.5 acres, why that's some 65,000 square feet, enough space to
grow a multitude of crops for about 20 large families... what do you do
with it all... I'm serious... because I have a hard time using all I
grow on *just* 2,500 square feet, and I give away about half to
neighbors.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Dave Smith wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>
> > It's worth having a garden if you enjoy puttering around and picking
> > things you grew yourself. If it's just another dreaded yard chore,
> > forget it.
> >

> I used to like getting stuff fresh from the garden, but never much
> appreciated the work involved. I used to spend at least an hour every night
> weeding and cultivating. The soil here is very rich. After all that work
> through the week I would go away for the weekend and when I got back the
> garden was overgrown with weeds again.
>
> I once asked my wife to hoe the weeds in the garden while I was at work. I
> came home to find nice straight rows of weeds. She didn't know the
> difference between weeds and bean plants.

You need to become familiar with "weed block"... Leevalley.com has the
best, BEST quality by far. I carpet my entire garden with weed block,
virtually zero weeding. I also use weed block over the entire surface
of all my shrub and flower beds, and around every recently planted
tree. It may at first seem costly but it lasts a long, looong, loooong
time, and saves innumerable hours of boring weeding. I'm not even
careful with preserving, I leave my veggie weed block down all winter
and then roll it up for tilling come spring, and then put it back...
and still it's very serviceable 10, 12, 15 years.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2300,33272

Sheldon

chula

On the other hand....last year I bought 600 concrete blocks to build raised
beds in which I'm playing with square-foot gardening. There's no way that
I'm going to save money there.

Maybe not that year, Bubba, but it is a one-time expense. After the beds
are constructed all you have to buy is seeds! The first year you might have
spent $600+ but if you only spend $10 a year on subsequent years over a ten
year period that averages out to only $70 per year. I'm sure that most
people spend more than that on produce annually.

chula

cathyxyz

Sarah wrote:

<snipping>

> WOW! The most we have to contend with are green fly and squirels! Definitly not
> exotic!
>
> Sarah

Never a dull moment around here... We don't have any lions though...
(well I haven't seen any yet)....
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Elaine Parrish

All the posters have given you great advice. I want to toss my half-penny
in too. From your post, it sounds like you have not gardened before. If
this is true, my advice would be to start very, very small. There is quite
a trick to making things grow and to being prepared for all that can go
wrong. Engage these folks here in in-depth suggestions and ideas. Read
every thing you can and check out the Web.

Look around your yard. See a rabbit? No. Well, you will see an army of
them once you plant something. Got birds, snakes, grasshoppers, crickets?
Live in fire ant country? Ever see Bambi around? Got beautiful
butterflies? Like escargot? Wildlife is a wonderful thing unless you have
a garden.

What kind of soil do you have? What do you need to add to it? Got
nitrogen? Different veggies and fruits need different things. Melons need
hills of sandy loam. Blackberries need a high water table. Can you drain
your garden if you get too much rain? Can you water it if you dont get
enough?

What kind of a dad are you? Can you tell the difference between your brand
new green babies and a killer weed when they pop their little heads out of
the soil? Do you know which babies need to be staked and which ones need
lots of space to crawl along the ground?

How much do you plant? One stalk of corn will give you 3 4 ears. 1
cucumber vine will give you a ton of cukes. Well, not a ton, maybe, but it
sure seems like it!

Ahhhhh, yes, the joys of gardening! Im not trying to discourage you, but
there is a lot more to it than tossing a few seeds in the ground. Thats
why I say, if you are new to this, start small. Fresh fruits and veggies
are without compare and it would be a great family hobby and wonderful for
your child to see and learn.

Elaine, too

Elaine Parrish

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Shaun aRe wrote:

> "T" > wrote in message
> > Fresh garden veggies are a whole lot better than those shipped in to
> > stores.My wife canned 40 qts.of tomatoes last year.As soon as corn is
> > picked,the sugar starts turning to starch and by the time it arrives at
> > the outlet,it has lost taste.Few people know this,because not many have
> > tasted fresh picked corn.

> Heheh, so true! We have a corn BBQ on the plot itself at least once a year
> around corn harvest time, just to taste it at its very best - delicious! A
> real eye opener for me the first time that was...
> >

> Shaun aRe

I totally agree! When I was a kid, my grandfather would say, "put the
water on to boil. I'm going to pull some corn." My grandmother would put
the pot on and we would head to the back porch ready to shuck the minute
he got back. There was nothing like it. There still isn't. Oh, and those
tomatoes! One year we had "tommy toes". My friends and I would eat them
right off the vine. My grand mother said there wouldn't be enough for a
"mess" if we didn't stay out of them. I must have been 6 or 7 when my
friends and I started taking a butcher knife to the garden, pulled a
watermellon off the vine, sat down right there and cut it open, sliced it
up, and ate it. All my grandmother said was, "you kids be sure to bring
that butcher knife back, ya hear? ... and watch for snakes!" Geez, times
have changed!

What wonderful memories!

Elaine, too.

-L.

T wrote:
> Fresh garden veggies are a whole lot better than those shipped in to
> stores.My wife canned 40 qts.of tomatoes last year.As soon as corn is
> picked,the sugar starts turning to starch and by the time it arrives at
> the outlet,it has lost taste.Few people know this,because not many have
> tasted fresh picked corn.

I used to work for Pioneer HiBred International - the largest corn
producting entity in the world. Every Friday in season, the guys would
go to the sweet corn field and pick a pick-up load and then we'd meet
at the local park and BBQ corn. Nothing better! And they grew DeKalb
sweet corn because it was better than own own! Then we'd all take
grocery sacks of left-overs home for the weekend. Nothing better than
fresh Iowa-grown sweet corn.

-L.

Good question,Sheldon.We used to sell fresh veggies to a friend who
owned a restaurant on Cape Cod,he loved our tomatoes & corn(we grow the
SE type that retains its sugar long after being picked).We also had
local people who liked organic produce AND,with five kids and their
families,we have no trouble getting rid of our veggies.Also have 40
blueberry bushes,which we share with the birdsAh,good o'l blueberry
pie.Also some fruit trees,like apple,cherry,peach plus American black
walnut trees.Wife still cans and vacuum packs some veggies for
freezing.Remember,tomatoes are sun lovers,won't well in shady
locations.

Yes,Elaine,times have changed,not for the better in many cases.We
enjoy living out in the 'country' and we feel our kids grew up better
because of it,not afraid of hard work.Are they successful,well their all
working,one makes $106,000 a year.No poblem with drugs,one smokes,one
has a beer once in awhile.My wife and i don't drink or smoke,never have.

vegetable garden started U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 42 17-02-2017 08:41 PM
White House vegetable garden modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 8 01-01-2009 03:25 AM
Pasta of the vegetable garden, pics Pandora General Cooking 6 24-07-2006 02:48 PM
Garden Vegetable Chili MrFalafel Vegan 1 13-06-2004 02:16 PM
Mary's Garden Vegetable Casserole MrFalafel Vegan 0 11-10-2003 01:42 PM