PENMART01

Default deep fryer

> "John D. Misrahi"
>
>I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?

Define "small"... and used for what?

For occasional deep frying of small batches (couple servings of fries) a heavy
pot with fry basket insert and deep fry thermometer on the stove top is the
most efficient hassle-free choice.

http://store.bowerykitchens.com/fourmesfryer.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Dave Smith

"John D. Misrahi" wrote:

> I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?
>
> thanks in advance,

Forget the small models. Get the regular size. It is critical to have the oil
at the proper temperature to get results. The small models are only good for
a single person cooking small portions because the temperature drops and you
end up with greasy food.

Mark Thorson

"John D. Misrahi" wrote:

> I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?

If you have a stove, a big pot does as good a job and
douvles for other uses. What makes life so much easier
is a long-handled whatchamacallit -- it's like a spoon,
but full of holes and much larger than a spoon, more
like a small colander on the end of a handle. Any
Chinese food store will have a similar device, with
a bamboo handle and a woven wire basket. Don't
get one of those, they're impossible to clean! Get
the whatchamacallit (which also may be found at a
Chinese food store, that's where I got mine).

Curly Sue

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:48:20 -0700, "John D. Misrahi"
> wrote:

>I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>John

The Presto Fry Daddy works fine. Just be careful that you don't put
too much moist food in it at once. It will overflow. I tried curly
fries once and didn't blot off the liquid since I tried a couple of
regular cut fries first. But the curly ones had too much surface
area. The hot oil bubbled up and over. Ooops!

Sue(tm)
elaine

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> "John D. Misrahi" wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any

suggestions?

> If you have a stove, a big pot does as good a job and
> douvles for other uses. What makes life so much easier
> is a long-handled whatchamacallit -- it's like a spoon,
> but full of holes and much larger than a spoon, more
> like a small colander on the end of a handle. Any
> Chinese food store will have a similar device, with
> a bamboo handle and a woven wire basket. Don't
> get one of those, they're impossible to clean! Get
> the whatchamacallit (which also may be found at a
> Chinese food store, that's where I got mine).

I think I have a whatchamacallit - that I got at a Chinese food store.
It's fabulous for making a potato nest - shredded potatoes deep fried. Just
need lots of oil so that it actually covers the whatchamacallit.

Elaine

John D. Misrahi

I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

John

occupant

> I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> John

Two problems, John, small and electric.

I got burned when I purchased a deep fryer - big name brand - (is stored
in my garage). It wasn't the grease, it was the price and temperature.

Most (perhaps all) domestic deep fryers these days don't have a
temperature gauge and for a very good reason. They can't heat the fat
hot enough. I use a restaurant-sized steel wok (they are cheap) and a
themometer. As others have suggested a pot, basket or tongs,
thermometer and attention to details - are all you need, and they are
right.
Kent H.

I have used the Presto cast aluminum dishwasher safe deep fryer. After
25 years the heating element failed. A new one at Walmart was $19.95!!
The Euro Pro next to it is $99.95, and doesn't heat as well and its
capacity is about the same.
Cheers,
Kent

"John D. Misrahi" wrote:

> I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> John

PENMART01

>Okay, what kind of pot is best? Stainless? Cast iron? I'm guessing cheapo
>aluminum is out
>
>john

Heavy guage aluminum is best... commercial deep frying pots are always of
aluminum. Next is carbon steel, the oriental type configuration. Cast iron is
not responsive enough, neither stainless steel.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

John D. Misrahi

> I think I have a whatchamacallit - that I got at a Chinese food store.
>It's fabulous for making a potato nest - shredded potatoes deep fried.

Just
>need lots of oil so that it actually covers the whatchamacallit.
>
> Elaine

Okay, what kind of pot is best? Stainless? Cast iron? I'm guessing cheapo
aluminum is out

john

Bill

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:48:20 -0700, "John D. Misrahi"
> wrote:

>I am looking for a small electric counter top deep fryer. Any suggestions?
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>John

Hey John!
I noticed several people suggested saving your money and using a pot
to deep fry. That will work just fine but if you insist on having a
deep fryer similar to the type they use to fry in restaurants, check
out this link:

http://www.nesco.com/products/produc...subcat=0&id=14

I bought one of these down at Sam's Club last year and it cooks great.
You have a basket that lowers into the hot grease and it's easy to
handle. I have cooked French fries, fried oysters, fried shrimp, deep
fried frozen hash brown potatoes fried frozen fish filets. Do be
careful and pat dry the food with paper towels before submerging in
the grease because it does tend to splatter but even if you do that
with this machine, the lid contains the splattering.

Regards,
Bill

John D. Misrahi

>I bought one of these down at Sam's Club last year and it cooks great.
>You have a basket that lowers into the hot grease and it's easy to
>handle. I have cooked French fries, fried oysters, fried shrimp, deep
>fried frozen hash brown potatoes fried frozen fish filets. Do be
>careful and pat dry the food with paper towels before submerging in
>the grease because it does tend to splatter but even if you do that
>with this machine, the lid contains the splattering.
>
>Regards,
>Bill

Thanks Bill,
I will give that one some thought, it seems to be what I am looking
for..Kind of like the big ones at the restaurant where I work, except
smaller :-)

john

Deep fryer Ben Yap General Cooking 12 28-02-2007 05:57 PM
Looking for a Deep Fryer Bear Cooking Equipment 5 19-07-2006 11:25 PM
t-fal deep fryer linda dumoulin General Cooking 2 13-04-2005 09:27 PM
Deep Fryer Jimbo Cooking Equipment 3 01-12-2004 10:59 AM
Deep Fryer Jimbo Cooking Equipment 0 30-11-2004 01:56 AM