jmcquown

Default I wish I'd been hungry!

I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My friend,
my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the tables they have
in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was using it to sop up a
concoction made with ground lamb (small patties, almost meatball-like but
flat), onion, red and yellow bell peppers in some sort of thick
reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there was lots more in there but I don't know
what it was. His cousin's wife made it so he couldn't give me instructions.

I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread. You're
just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL

Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived right in!
Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of him to invite me to
"break bread".

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Lynne A

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My

friend,
> my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the tables they

have
> in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was using it to sop up a
> concoction made with ground lamb (small patties, almost meatball-like but
> flat), onion, red and yellow bell peppers in some sort of thick
> reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there was lots more in there but I don't

know
> what it was. His cousin's wife made it so he couldn't give me

instructions.

> I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread. You're
> just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL
>
> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived right in!
> Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of him to invite me

> "break bread".
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

I think I would have made room for at least a little, that sounds wonderful!
But then again, maybe that's why I could stand to lose a few pounds?GGG

Lynne A

kilikini

jmcquown wrote:
> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My
> friend, my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the
> tables they have in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was
> using it to sop up a concoction made with ground lamb (small patties,
> almost meatball-like but flat), onion, red and yellow bell peppers in
> some sort of thick reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there was lots more
> in there but I don't know what it was. His cousin's wife made it so
> he couldn't give me instructions.
>
> I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread.
> You're just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL
>
> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived
> right in! Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of him
> to invite me to "break bread".
>
> Jill

Do you know what it was, though? Sounds interesting!

kili

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My
>> friend, my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the
>> tables they have in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was
>> using it to sop up a concoction made with ground lamb (small patties,
>> almost meatball-like but flat), onion, red and yellow bell peppers in
>> some sort of thick reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there was lots more
>> in there but I don't know what it was. His cousin's wife made it so
>> he couldn't give me instructions.
>>
>> I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread.
>> You're just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL
>>
>> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived
>> right in! Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of him
>> to invite me to "break bread".
>>
>> Jill

> Do you know what it was, though? Sounds interesting!
>
> kili

I don't know the name of it. He was too busy making yum-yum sounds; I'm not
sure he knew what it was either. It looked GREAT! If I can hook up with
his cousin's wife later in the week maybe she can give me more info.

Jill

jmcquown

Lynne A wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My
>> friend, my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the
>> tables they have in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was
>> using it to sop up a concoction made with ground lamb (small
>> patties, almost meatball-like but flat), onion, red and yellow bell
>> peppers in some sort of thick reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there
>> was lots more in there but I don't know what it was. His cousin's
>> wife made it so he couldn't give me instructions.
>>
>> I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread.
>> You're just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL
>>
>> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived
>> right in! Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of
>> him to invite me to "break bread".
>>
>> Jill
>> --
>> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
>>

> I think I would have made room for at least a little, that sounds
> wonderful! But then again, maybe that's why I could stand to lose a
> few pounds?GGG
>
> Lynne A

LOL! I was already full. Upon reflexion, it would have been polite to eat
a bite but then I'd have probably gone overboard and eaten all his dinner!
It smelled and looked that good!

Jill

Lynne A

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Lynne A wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My
> >> friend, my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the
> >> tables they have in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was
> >> using it to sop up a concoction made with ground lamb (small
> >> patties, almost meatball-like but flat), onion, red and yellow bell
> >> peppers in some sort of thick reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there
> >> was lots more in there but I don't know what it was. His cousin's
> >> wife made it so he couldn't give me instructions.
> >>
> >> I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread.
> >> You're just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived
> >> right in! Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of
> >> him to invite me to "break bread".
> >>
> >> Jill
> >> --
> >> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
> >>

> > I think I would have made room for at least a little, that sounds
> > wonderful! But then again, maybe that's why I could stand to lose a
> > few pounds?GGG
> >
> > Lynne A
> >

> LOL! I was already full. Upon reflexion, it would have been polite to

eat
> a bite but then I'd have probably gone overboard and eaten all his dinner!
> It smelled and looked that good!
>
> Jill

Sounded lovely, that's for sure. Do let us know if you find out what it
was!

Lynne A

Damsel

"Lynne A" > said:

>> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived right in!
>> Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of him to invite me
>> to "break bread".

Sorry Jill, I had already deleted your post when I thought of this. You
should have asked for a doggie bag! Then you'd be able to come back and
compliment him on his food. And if you hated it, he wouldn't have been
able to see your face and get his feelings hurt.

Always go shopping with a little storage container from now on.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> "Lynne A" > said:
>
>>> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived
>>> right in! Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of
>>> him to invite me to "break bread".

> Sorry Jill, I had already deleted your post when I thought of this.
> You should have asked for a doggie bag! Then you'd be able to come
> back and compliment him on his food. And if you hated it, he
> wouldn't have been
> able to see your face and get his feelings hurt.
>
> Always go shopping with a little storage container from now on.
>
> Carol

He had a plate and a stack of pitas, but not THAT much! Doggie bag... he
was just being polite! He didn't cook it, it was Ali's wife who cooked it
and she wasn't there. I'll find out the ingredients later in the week. She
works in the "deli" during the day with Yvonne.

Jill

jmcquown

Lynne A wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
>> Lynne A wrote:

>>> I think I would have made room for at least a little, that sounds
>>> wonderful! But then again, maybe that's why I could stand to lose a
>>> few pounds?GGG
>>>
>>> Lynne A
>>>

>> LOL! I was already full. Upon reflexion, it would have been polite
>> to eat a bite but then I'd have probably gone overboard and eaten
>> all his dinner! It smelled and looked that good!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Sounded lovely, that's for sure. Do let us know if you find out what
> it was!
>
> Lynne A

Oh I will! I love lamb and this looked like a very yummy way to use ground
lamb.

Jill

Andy

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:OmOie.3658$%R1.993
@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

> Very nice of him to invite me to "break bread".

Jill,

That's nice and all but it didn't sound exactly sanitary. If he was
sopping from a private dish, and offered you a clean one, that's
different.

That's just my take on that. YMMV.

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)

Damsel

wrote:

>> Sorry Jill, I had already deleted your post when I thought of this. You
>> should have asked for a doggie bag! Then you'd be able to come back and
>> compliment him on his food. And if you hated it, he wouldn't have been
>> able to see your face and get his feelings hurt.
>>
>> Always go shopping with a little storage container from now on.

>Tell me you're joshing, Dams. "Sorry, dude, I don't have time to eat
>with you, but I'd be glad to take some home with me for a little nosh
>later." Might as well slap him in the face.

Have I ever NOT been joshing? I'm amazed that anyone thought that was a
serious comment.

Carol
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Chris Neidecker

"Damsel" > wrote in message

> Have I ever NOT been joshing? I'm amazed that anyone thought that was
> serious comment.

Don't worry, I caught the subtle humor and implied wink. Amused, not
shocked.

Damsel

"Chris Neidecker" > said:

>"Damsel" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Have I ever NOT been joshing? I'm amazed that anyone thought that was
>> a serious comment.

>Don't worry, I caught the subtle humor and implied wink. Amused, not
>shocked.

Whew! I'm still kinda blown away. I'm glad someone got it.

Carol
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
jmcquown

Andy wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:OmOie.3658$%R1.993
> @bignews5.bellsouth.net:
>
>> Very nice of him to invite me to "break bread".

> Jill,
>
> That's nice and all but it didn't sound exactly sanitary. If he was
> sopping from a private dish, and offered you a clean one, that's
> different.
>
> That's just my take on that. YMMV.
>
> Andy

It was a paper plate; he owns the store, I think he would have gotten me a
fresh one had I accepted LOL

Jill

Denise~*

jmcquown wrote:
> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My friend,
> my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the tables they have
> in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was using it to sop up a
> concoction made with ground lamb (small patties, almost meatball-like but
> flat), onion, red and yellow bell peppers in some sort of thick
> reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there was lots more in there but I don't know
> what it was. His cousin's wife made it so he couldn't give me instructions.
>
> I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread. You're
> just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL
>
> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived right in!
> Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of him to invite me to
> "break bread".
>
> Jill

The thick stuff wasn't Hummis, was it?
cathyxyz

Damsel wrote:

>>>Have I ever NOT been joshing? I'm amazed that anyone thought that was
>>>a serious comment.

<snip>

> Whew! I'm still kinda blown away. I'm glad someone got it.
>
> Carol

I know how you feel. I've started re-reading everything I post about 5
times before I send it... Cos once or twice I've thought, "Oh, boy, did
I type that? Someone is gonna take it the wrong way..." The risks we
take, I am afraid.. Also, just started ignoring stuff that annoys me, or
that I don't know enough about to comment on (well mostly)

Hope you feeling better today and say hi to Crash
Cheers
Cathy
--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Cathyxyz

jmcquown wrote:
<snip>

> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived

right in!
> Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of him to invite

me to
> "break bread".
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

I know that feeling! We had friends once and the wife was one of the
best cooks I have ever come across. No matter when you went over, she
always brought out all these wonderful home-made eats... I learned
never to eat before going over!!
Cheers
Cathy

jmcquown

Denise~* wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My
>> friend, my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the
>> tables they have in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was
>> using it to sop up a concoction made with ground lamb (small
>> patties, almost meatball-like but flat), onion, red and yellow bell
>> peppers in some sort of thick reddish-brown sauce. >> Jill

> The thick stuff wasn't Hummis, was it?

No, it was a sauce.

Shaun aRe

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Lynne A wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >> I went to the little store down the street. Abdul called to me, "My
> >> friend, my friend, come eat with me!" He was sitting at one of the
> >> tables they have in the place. He had a stack of pita bread and was
> >> using it to sop up a concoction made with ground lamb (small
> >> patties, almost meatball-like but flat), onion, red and yellow bell
> >> peppers in some sort of thick reddish-brown sauce. I'm sure there
> >> was lots more in there but I don't know what it was. His cousin's
> >> wife made it so he couldn't give me instructions.
> >>
> >> I was teasing him - you're supposed to put this IN the pita bread.
> >> You're just lazy! He laughed, "You know me!" LOL
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I had a very late lunch, otherwise I'd have dived
> >> right in! Man that stuff looked and smelled good Very nice of
> >> him to invite me to "break bread".
> >>
> >> Jill
> >> --
> >> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
> >>

> > I think I would have made room for at least a little, that sounds
> > wonderful! But then again, maybe that's why I could stand to lose a
> > few pounds?GGG
> >
> > Lynne A
> >

> LOL! I was already full. Upon reflexion, it would have been polite to

eat
> a bite but then I'd have probably gone overboard and eaten all his dinner!
> It smelled and looked that good!
>
> Jill

I have a friend here at work called Abdul, and he's always bringing in the
most delicious Indian food - always invites me to take a piece of chapatti
and have a dip-in. Wunnerful! I must say though the food is not quite as
good as when his mother was still alive and always made it, but his sisters
are learning fast, and will no doubt catch up with momma's skills in the not
too distant future. I'm getting *hungry just thinking about it now - the
quite hot and juicy chicken keema dishes... the gorgeous lamb... hmmmm...

I've brought in some of my Indian ('style') dishes for him to try and/or
take home for the family, and admit to being somewhat worried as to what
kind of feedback I'd get! However, it seems I've done alright, as they all
thoroughly enjoyed the food and keep asking for more (His sisters sat eating
and discussing what they thought I'd put into it etc. LOL! Also poppa has a
thing for my chile sauces too - he's had about 4 bottles from me so far, and
keeps stealing the ones I make for Abdul!) - I was taught a certain general
way to make some Indian foods by my dear departed Nan, who was taught by a
Sikh family she helped settle in England back before I was born, so even
though I've not even got my Nan's abilities, it may have done me some good,
heheheh...

Shaun aRe - *Guess I'll need a large lunch again now...

Cindy Hamilton

Andy wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:OmOie.3658$%R1.993
> @bignews5.bellsouth.net:
>
> > Very nice of him to invite me to "break bread".

> Jill,
>
> That's nice and all but it didn't sound exactly sanitary. If he was
> sopping from a private dish, and offered you a clean one, that's
> different.

How sanitary does it have to be? Jeez, people act like other people
(and raw food, for that matter) are plutonium. Whenever the guy in
the next cubicle offers me a taste of his lunch, I'm right there with
my spoon.So what if a milligram of his spit is in the dish? It's not
going to kill me, and it's probably not even going to give me a head
cold.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:OmOie.3658$%R1.993
>> @bignews5.bellsouth.net:
>>
>>> Very nice of him to invite me to "break bread".

>> Jill,
>>
>> That's nice and all but it didn't sound exactly sanitary. If he was
>> sopping from a private dish, and offered you a clean one, that's
>> different.
>>

> How sanitary does it have to be? Jeez, people act like other people
> (and raw food, for that matter) are plutonium. Whenever the guy in
> the next cubicle offers me a taste of his lunch, I'm right there with
> my spoon.So what if a milligram of his spit is in the dish? It's not
> going to kill me, and it's probably not even going to give me a head
> cold.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Not to mention fhe fact that he was sopping up the lamb dish with piecies of
pita bread means he wasn't swapping spit with the food.

Jill

When you're really hungry John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 24 05-11-2014 05:37 PM
I'm hungry. I'm always hungry. chomp chomp chomp Vegan 2 19-08-2008 06:02 PM
I'm so hungry squeeze your button General Cooking 1 19-05-2007 10:08 PM
Hungry? waterwater General Cooking 0 19-03-2007 09:14 AM
Hungry Hungry Hippos A Man General 4 25-06-2004 01:18 AM