Lacustral

Default making glucose syrup from starch

I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody help
me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases - they
use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I
think) used in beer brewing.

I've read that you cook a starch/water mixture, keeping it at 150 F
somehow (what's a good way to keep a constant temperature?) and at pH
about 5.5-5.6. I guess i could lower the pH with cream of tartar if
necessary.

I'm allergic to corn & somewhat fructose intolerant, and syrup
from starch should have very little fructose in it.

laura
muha

You do not need pancreatic enzymes. Amylases are present in germinating
grains - like malted barley. That is how rice syrup is made - there are
no simple sugars in rice, before you add malt to break down the rice
starch.

Please note that complete enzymatic hydrolysis would take ridiculous
quantity of enzyme or time (it would get mouldy faster). So what you
would get is actualy a mix of glucose, maltose and higher oligos,
called maltodextrin.

You can do hydrolysis of starch by heating it with diluted sulfuric
acid. To get the acid out, you neutralise with powdered CaCO3 and
filter.

Lacustral wrote:
> I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody

help
> me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases -

they
> use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
> from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I

> think) used in beer brewing.
>
> I've read that you cook a starch/water mixture, keeping it at 150 F
> somehow (what's a good way to keep a constant temperature?) and at

pH
> about 5.5-5.6. I guess i could lower the pH with cream of tartar if
> necessary.
>
> I'm allergic to corn & somewhat fructose intolerant, and syrup
> from starch should have very little fructose in it.
>
> laura

Lacustral

muha ) wrote:
>You do not need pancreatic enzymes. Amylases are present in germinating
>grains - like malted barley. That is how rice syrup is made - there are
>no simple sugars in rice, before you add malt to break down the rice
>starch.

I can't eat grains, so I'm planning to start with a non-grain starch, like
tapioca starch or arrowroot starch. So I need to add some kind of amylase
enzyme.

Does the hydrolysis with sulfuric acid that you mentioned, leave residues
that are inedible?

thanks
Laura

>Lacustral wrote:
>> I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody

>help
>> me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases -

>they
>> use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
>> from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I

>> think) used in beer brewing.
>>
>> I've read that you cook a starch/water mixture, keeping it at 150 F
>> somehow (what's a good way to keep a constant temperature?) and at

>pH
>> about 5.5-5.6. I guess i could lower the pH with cream of tartar if
>> necessary.
>>
>> I'm allergic to corn & somewhat fructose intolerant, and syrup
>> from starch should have very little fructose in it.
>>
>> laura

Scott L

Lacustral wrote:
> Does the hydrolysis with sulfuric acid that you mentioned, leave

residues
> that are inedible?

It would leave behind some calcium sulfate, i.e. gypsum.

Joel

Lacustral > wrote:
>I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody help
>me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases - they
>use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
>from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I
>think) used in beer brewing.

I can't help with your problem, but in brewing beer
we use the naturally-occuring enzymes that are present
in malted barley (and wheat). No added enzymes are
typically used.
--
Joel Plutchak "I'm in beer class / Every Thursday night"
- "Sinister Foxx", _Title TK_, The Breeders

Lacustral

muha ) wrote:

>You can do hydrolysis of starch by heating it with diluted sulfuric
>acid. To get the acid out, you neutralise with powdered CaCO3 and
>filter.

How does this exactly work, like how hot, what concentration sulfuric
acid, etc.? And can one get sulfuric acid, CaCO3 (calcium carbonate?)
that one would be OK with eating the end product? (no carcinogenic
contaminants etc.?

Laura

Wayne

Lacustral wrote:
> I can't eat grains, so I'm planning to start with a non-grain starch, like
> tapioca starch or arrowroot starch. So I need to add some kind of amylase
> enzyme.
>
> Does the hydrolysis with sulfuric acid that you mentioned, leave residues
> that are inedible?
>
> thanks
> Laura

Is your problem with grains the gluten, i.e., celiac disease? If so,
there are a number of resources out there about brewing gluten free
beers. Generally these involve using malted white sorgum, malted
buckwheat, and sometimes rice syrup. You might try this site:
http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/gf/

Hope this helps.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
muha

I cannot recommend doing this for a human consumption as a sweetener on
your own. It is not worth the effort and risks. And you would need
food-grade chemicals.

Also, you can buy glucose cheaply.

Please note that glucose is very weak sweetener - several times less
sweet than sucrose. What is wrong with using sugar, anyway? It tastes
better, too. Or you can buy fructose or use honey.

zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:
> Lacustral wrote:
>
>> I can't eat grains, so I'm planning to start with a non-grain starch,
>> like
>> tapioca starch or arrowroot starch. So I need to add some kind of
>> amylase
>> enzyme.
>> Does the hydrolysis with sulfuric acid that you mentioned, leave residues
>> that are inedible?
>>
>> thanks
>> Laura
>>

> Is your problem with grains the gluten, i.e., celiac disease? If so,
> there are a number of resources out there about brewing gluten free
> beers. Generally these involve using malted white sorgum, malted
> buckwheat, and sometimes rice syrup. You might try this site:
> http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/gf/
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Wayne
> Bugeater Brewing Company

Malted sorghum? I thought that contained lethal amounts of cyanic
glucosides. The levels of cyanide might be reduced to safe levels during
fermentation (I don't know, this is the first time I've heard of using
malted sorghum to make beer), but the original poster is not planning to
ferment it but instead to make syrup. It could be extremely dangerous.

Best regards,
Bob
Wazza

:
: I can't help with your problem, but in brewing beer
: we use the naturally-occuring enzymes that are present
: in malted barley (and wheat). No added enzymes are
: typically used.
: --
but don't you heat in acidic conditions to make your wort?
cheers
Wazza

Derric

> Malted sorghum? I thought that contained lethal amounts of cyanic
> glucosides. The levels of cyanide might be reduced to safe levels during
> fermentation (I don't know, this is the first time I've heard of using
> malted sorghum to make beer), but the original poster is not planning to
> ferment it but instead to make syrup. It could be extremely dangerous.

For almost 100% malted sorghum beer, check out:
http://www.bardsbeer.com/

zxcvbob

Derric wrote:
>>Malted sorghum? I thought that contained lethal amounts of cyanic
>>glucosides. The levels of cyanide might be reduced to safe levels during
>>fermentation (I don't know, this is the first time I've heard of using
>>malted sorghum to make beer), but the original poster is not planning to
>>ferment it but instead to make syrup. It could be extremely dangerous.

> For almost 100% malted sorghum beer, check out:
> http://www.bardsbeer.com/

Thanks. If I can find it, I'll have to try it. But that doesn't reduce
the danger in trying to make syrup from sprouted sorghum.

Best regards,
Bob
Joel

Wazza > wrote:
>"Joel" > wrote in message:
>: Lacustral > wrote:
>: >I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody help
>: >me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases - they
>: >use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
>: >from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I
>: >think) used in beer brewing.
>:
>: I can't help with your problem, but in brewing beer
>: we use the naturally-occuring enzymes that are present
>: in malted barley (and wheat). No added enzymes are
>: typically used.
>
>but don't you heat in acidic conditions to make your wort?

We heat, and many of us don't do explicit acidification--
we simply heat the grains in water and let the chips fall
where they may wrt pH.
--
Joel Plutchak "I'm in beer class / Every Thursday night"
- "Sinister Foxx", _Title TK_, The Breeders
Arri London

Lacustral wrote:

> I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody help
> me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases - they
> use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
> from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I
> think) used in beer brewing.

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy the liquid glucose? Or else buy powder
glucose and make your own liquid?
Robert Hinterding

The problem here seems to food intollerances - corn and fructose.
You say you can't eat grains - does that mean all grains or just some of
them?

Mashing a starch with enzymes (need both alpha and beta amylases), is
not a very good solution as there are some problems.

First - a mixture of sugars will be produced, including fructose and
fructans.

Second - And you need to consider the gelatinisation temperature of the
starch and this varies with its source. Rice has a high gelatinisation
temperature, tapioca and potato have low gelatinisation temperatures.
The starch needs to be gelatinised before the enzymes can easily convert
the starches to sugars.

Glucose syrup is mainly produced by acid hydrolysis of corn or wheat
starch, but can use any starch. You can find information about the
process on the web.

Some sugars in Europe are produced from sugar beet, so it may be
possible to locate a glucose syrup made from this.

Making glucose syrup yourself is not going to be easy.

Lacustral wrote:

> I can't eat grains, so I'm planning to start with a non-grain starch, like
> tapioca starch or arrowroot starch. So I need to add some kind of amylase
> enzyme.
>
> Does the hydrolysis with sulfuric acid that you mentioned, leave residues
> that are inedible?
>
> thanks
> Laura
>

>>Lacustral wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody

>>help
>>>me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases -

>>they
>>>use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
>>>from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I
>>>think) used in beer brewing.
>>>
>>>I've read that you cook a starch/water mixture, keeping it at 150 F
>>>somehow (what's a good way to keep a constant temperature?) and at

>>pH
>>
>>>about 5.5-5.6. I guess i could lower the pH with cream of tartar if
>>>necessary.
>>>
>>>I'm allergic to corn & somewhat fructose intolerant, and syrup
>>>from starch should have very little fructose in it.
>>>
>>>laura

Seismo Malm

In article >, Lacustral wrote:
> I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody help
> me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases - they
> use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
> from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I
> think) used in beer brewing.
>
> I've read that you cook a starch/water mixture, keeping it at 150 F
> somehow (what's a good way to keep a constant temperature?) and at pH
> about 5.5-5.6. I guess i could lower the pH with cream of tartar if
> necessary.
>
> I'm allergic to corn & somewhat fructose intolerant, and syrup
> from starch should have very little fructose in it.
>
> laura

Only thing that I think is even remotely possible is using koji to convert
starces to glucose. Search web with words amazake (sweet sake), sake, koji
and 'Aspergillus oryzae'.

for example http://olen.eng.ohio-state.edu/sake/Ch5.htm But I would
incubate in a lower temperature (35-40 C ?) for something like 1 day
first and then increase to 65 C for 12 hours.

seismo malm
Chad Gould

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:00:31 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:
>Malted sorghum? I thought that contained lethal amounts of cyanic
>glucosides. The levels of cyanide might be reduced to safe levels during
>fermentation (I don't know, this is the first time I've heard of using
>malted sorghum to make beer), but the original poster is not planning to
>ferment it but instead to make syrup. It could be extremely dangerous.

Through Googling, I don't think this is a problem. I have found
references that during malting, the cyanide-problem areas -- the new
shoots -- are removed. This seems to solve most of the problem. As an
example, per one set of scientists, HCN content is reduced by more
than 90% just by removing the shoots. Fermentation furthermore reduces
it by 70%. Since I don't have access to a bunch of university library
scientific papers or time, I can't look up how much cyanide is reduced
by additional malt kilning, or the one hour boil that you would
normally do during brewing.

Given that the cassava root, a plant that contains a bit more cyanide
ppm when mature, is consumed just fine via simple techniques like
toasting or fermentation, I'd speculate that the levels of cyanide one
is talking about in sorghum beer are so minimal as to actually be a
nutrient.

zxcvbob

Chad Gould wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:00:31 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>>Malted sorghum? I thought that contained lethal amounts of cyanic
>>glucosides. The levels of cyanide might be reduced to safe levels during
>>fermentation (I don't know, this is the first time I've heard of using
>>malted sorghum to make beer), but the original poster is not planning to
>>ferment it but instead to make syrup. It could be extremely dangerous.

> Through Googling, I don't think this is a problem. I have found
> references that during malting, the cyanide-problem areas -- the new
> shoots -- are removed. This seems to solve most of the problem. As an
> example, per one set of scientists, HCN content is reduced by more
> than 90% just by removing the shoots. Fermentation furthermore reduces
> it by 70%. Since I don't have access to a bunch of university library
> scientific papers or time, I can't look up how much cyanide is reduced
> by additional malt kilning, or the one hour boil that you would
> normally do during brewing.
>
> Given that the cassava root, a plant that contains a bit more cyanide
> ppm when mature, is consumed just fine via simple techniques like
> toasting or fermentation, I'd speculate that the levels of cyanide one
> is talking about in sorghum beer are so minimal as to actually be a
> nutrient.

The original poster might not have known that sorghum sprouts are
poisonous. (notice how wide his crossposting net was cast)

BTW, about a month ago there was a news story about a bunch of kids who
died from HCN poisoning after eating improperly prepared fried cassava
chips that one of them brought to school for a snack -- purchased from a
street vendor, IIRC.

Best regards,
Bob
Bob

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:19:36 -0400, Chad Gould
> wrote:

>Given that the cassava root, a plant that contains a bit more cyanide
>ppm when mature, is consumed just fine via simple techniques like
>toasting or fermentation, I'd speculate that the levels of cyanide one
>is talking about in sorghum beer are so minimal as to actually be a
>nutrient.

You are giving advice that could kill someone.

A knowledgeable user (and that includes those who have routinely
handled, say, cassava over generations and learned how) will deal with
it. A naive user may or may not; advising them that it is not a
problem is unwise, and dangerous.

bob

Bob wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:19:36 -0400, Chad Gould
> > wrote:
> >Given that the cassava root, a plant that contains a bit more

cyanide
> >ppm when mature, is consumed just fine via simple techniques like
> >toasting or fermentation, I'd speculate that the levels of cyanide

one
> >is talking about in sorghum beer are so minimal as to actually be a
> >nutrient.

> You are giving advice that could kill someone.
> A knowledgeable user (and that includes those who have routinely
> handled, say, cassava over generations and learned how) will deal

with
> it. A naive user may or may not; advising them that it is not a
> problem is unwise, and dangerous.

If one makes a post like "you can preserve foods by canning at home,
the risk of botulism can be minimalized with proper techniques such as
a boiling water bath, etc.", I suppose that too is advice that could
kill someone? *shrug*

I guess that's good, because if you are stupid enough *not* to look up
the basic techniques of throughly cooking / soaking / sun-drying /
fermenting / etc. cassava, and/or knowing what types of food can be
canned with a water bath and what needs pressure cooker canning... you
deserve that painful / deadly lesson. Darwinism works, right?

Methinks the multiple amount of newsgroups, anyways, are causing many
people to go way off topic. The original poster did not mention malted
sorghum at all, however because this was posted in a beer-brewing
newsgroup along with a chemistry newsgroup and a cooking newsgroup, it
somewhat strayed towards gluten-free brewing substances. The main point
was that the cyanide in malted sorghum is insignificant especially
after doing all you do with malted sorghum for brewing purposes.
Cyanide is also insignificant in properly prepared cassava (as plenty
of tapioca pudding lovers can attest). Raw sorghum shoots and raw
cassava tubers, of course, can poison you. No duh.

As far as the original request, I'll be damned why you actually want to
make glucose syrup via enzyme action, except maybe for your own
chemistry amusement. For consumption, the original poster just should
by a huge jug of corn syrup for cheap, since corn syrup is nearly 100%
glucose syrup to begin with.

Bob

On 20 May 2005 06:43:27 -0700, wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:19:36 -0400, Chad Gould
>> > wrote:
>> >Given that the cassava root, a plant that contains a bit more

>cyanide
>> >ppm when mature, is consumed just fine via simple techniques like
>> >toasting or fermentation, I'd speculate that the levels of cyanide

>one
>> >is talking about in sorghum beer are so minimal as to actually be a
>> >nutrient.

>> You are giving advice that could kill someone.
>> A knowledgeable user (and that includes those who have routinely
>> handled, say, cassava over generations and learned how) will deal

>with
>> it. A naive user may or may not; advising them that it is not a
>> problem is unwise, and dangerous.

>If one makes a post like "you can preserve foods by canning at home,
>the risk of botulism can be minimalized with proper techniques such as
>a boiling water bath, etc.", I suppose that too is advice that could
>kill someone? *shrug*

Your point is well taken. It is a judgment call. Proper techniques for
canning are commonly available in our society. Proper techniques for
dealing with cyanide in plants not commonly handled at home are not so
common. And I must say that I read the post I replied to more as
saying "don't worry about it" than "be sure you know how".

>As far as the original request, I'll be damned why you actually want to
>make glucose syrup via enzyme action, except maybe for your own
>chemistry amusement. For consumption, the original poster just should
>by a huge jug of corn syrup for cheap, since corn syrup is nearly 100%
>glucose syrup to begin with.

Agreed. Or just buy some dextrose and dissolve it.

bob

Robert Hinterding

The original request was about how to make glucose syrup as the person
had food intollerances/allergies. These are to corn and fructose.

Making glucose syrup by either enzymes or acid hydrolsis will leave
protein fragments which a person who is very sensitive to those protein
fragments will still react to.

Then there is the problem of testing to see the level of protein
fragments left behind. As the production of glucose syrup will simplify
the proteins, current commercialy available tests tend to give false
negatives, while the human immune system which can still recognise these
protein fragments and react.

An example is glucose derived from wheat starch, this tests (down to
5ppm) as gluten free, but a significant proportion of coeliacs (people
who react to gluten fragments from wheat and some other grains) still
react to it and it makes them sick.

Bob wrote:
> On 20 May 2005 06:43:27 -0700, wrote:

[snip]

>>As far as the original request, I'll be damned why you actually want to
>>make glucose syrup via enzyme action, except maybe for your own
>>chemistry amusement. For consumption, the original poster just should
>>by a huge jug of corn syrup for cheap, since corn syrup is nearly 100%
>>glucose syrup to begin with.

> Agreed. Or just buy some dextrose and dissolve it.
>
> bob

Caligula

Robert Hinterding > writes:

> Making glucose syrup by either enzymes or acid hydrolsis will leave
> protein fragments which a person who is very sensitive to those
> protein fragments will still react to.

Sounds like this person is an imaginative nutter.
Lacustral

yes, I have many food intolerances (celiac and that causes other food
intolerances); including corn. So that's why I'm asking about how to
make glucose syrup from, say, tapioca starch or arrowroot starch.

I read on the net that acid hydrolysis of starch isn't done much any more
because the enzyme hydrolysis is more complete - results in more glucose.

I'm asking in beer brewing newsgroups because added amylases are used to
hydrolyse starch sometimes in brewing. The local brewing company sells
amylase enzyme. I don't know what exact situation you would use it in.

For example - how would you keep a solution at 150 F at home, which is the
right temperature for the enzymes to work? I figured home brewers might
do such things?

Somebody said something about hydrolysis producing fructose and fructans
as well. I'm pretty sure it doesn't, from what I've read, starch is a
*glucose* polymer - and when you hydrolyse starch you get glucose,
maltose, dextrins.

Laura
Lacustral

Also, does anybody know where to get the bacterial & fungal alpha and beta
amylase enzymes that are used to make glucose out of starch? I can get
amylase that's extracted from pancreas but I'd rather use the bacterial
and fungal enzymes, they are less likely to cause allergy problems.

Laura

Robert Hinterding

Lacustral wrote:
> yes, I have many food intolerances (celiac and that causes other food
> intolerances); including corn. So that's why I'm asking about how to
> make glucose syrup from, say, tapioca starch or arrowroot starch.

Of course it can be done, its really a matter of how to do it with
simple equipment, and how difficult the process is.

The other question is - do you need glucose syrup, would sucrose from
sugar cane or sugar beet do?

> I read on the net that acid hydrolysis of starch isn't done much any more
> because the enzyme hydrolysis is more complete - results in more glucose.

My understanding is the reverse to what you say, but I have not looked
into it very deeply.

> I'm asking in beer brewing newsgroups because added amylases are used to
> hydrolyse starch sometimes in brewing. The local brewing company sells
> amylase enzyme. I don't know what exact situation you would use it in.

The thing here is that you need a mixture of enzmymes, each enzyme does
a quite specific job (breaking a certain bond), so to break all the
starch done to monosaccharides you will need a mixture of at least three
enzymes.

> For example - how would you keep a solution at 150 F at home, which is the
> right temperature for the enzymes to work? I figured home brewers might
> do such things?

The other thing is that each enzyme has a temperature at which it works
best, so holding it at just one temperature is probably not the best way
to do it.

> Somebody said something about hydrolysis producing fructose and fructans
> as well. I'm pretty sure it doesn't, from what I've read, starch is a
> *glucose* polymer - and when you hydrolyse starch you get glucose,
> maltose, dextrins.

No, I said that mashing (as in brewing) will produce a mixture of
sugars. Also starch you can buy is not pure starch, it contains starch,
cell walls, gums, and some protein. Complete hydrolysis will produce
mainly glucose, but also some other sugars, amino acids, and protein
fragments. Which is why some coeliacs do not tolerate glucose syrup
derived from wheat starch because some protein fragments are still present.

And of course why you want to avoid glucose syrup made from corn.

Robert

Lacustral wrote:
> I'm asking in beer brewing newsgroups because added amylases are used

> hydrolyse starch sometimes in brewing. The local brewing company

sells
> amylase enzyme. I don't know what exact situation you would use it

in.

Alpha amylase is the one of the two "critical" enzymes for brewing.
Naturally present in grain, this enzyme at certain temperatures cuts
down the large protein and startch molecules present. These simpler
forms can be digested by the yeast easier. (The other enzyme is beta
amylase.)

In brewing, you typically do a "mash" that hits both enzyme's naturally
active temperature at least part of the time. A typical all-grain
homebrewer might heat the mash (usually via infusions of hot water) to
around 154F -- a temperature in which both enzymes are moderately
active -- and let it soak for an hour. More thorough yields are
obtained by resting at both the beta and the alpha amyl

The only time I've heard alpha amylase being used in homebrewing is
when you overshoot your mash temperature, deactivating the alpha
amylase enzyme. You really need both alpha and beta enzymes working
together, either through the compromise temperature above or via
multi-stage temperature rests.

Just FYI: I Googled and found this book:
http://www.fao.org/icatalog/search/d...?aries_id=7490 -- from the
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations which details
how to make maltose syrup from cassava starch using cottage methods and
cereal grain enzymes (which the two above are). Hey, it might be more
what you are looking for. It's not glucose syrup. (Though maltase is a
possible enzyme for converting maltase to glucose -- but again, I don't
know what the active ranges are for that.) Either way, such procedures
in this book may be a better way of producing an allergy-free sugar
syrup (which is your purpose, right?) from cassava starch at home.

Further comments: Maybe some of the more scientific folks can comment
on amyloglucosidase aka Beano. This enzyme has been used to make "light
beer", it's very good supposedly at breaking down complex carbs, and
has a better active temperature range (40C or below).

Lacustral

>Just FYI: I Googled and found this book:

http://www.fao.org/icatalog/search/d...?aries_id=7490 -- from the
>Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations which details
>how to make maltose syrup from cassava starch using cottage methods and
>cereal grain enzymes (which the two above are).

I'm gluten intolerant, so I can't use the cereal grain enzymes. A lot
of saccharification enzymes are from bacteria and fungus which would
probably be OK.

>Either way, such procedures
>in this book may be a better way of producing an allergy-free sugar
>syrup (which is your purpose, right?)

yup - from cassava (tapioca) or arrowroot starch. I have a pretty intense
corn allergy by the way - 1/16 of a grain of corn made me severely ill for
several days, and 2 tbsp. of fructose - which has about the same amount of
corn protein - also made me quite sick. Fructose is made from corn syrup,
so I'm quite sure that corn syrup is not OK.

>Further comments: Maybe some of the more scientific folks can comment
>on amyloglucosidase aka Beano. This enzyme has been used to make "light
>beer", it's very good supposedly at breaking down complex carbs, and
>has a better active temperature range (40C or below).

That's interesting! I was wondering about Beano Easy to get it
I have the impression that amylglucosidase is used together with other
amylases, it's the final step after other amylases have been at the
starch.

Laura
Lacustral

Robert Hinterding ) wrote:
>> I read on the net that acid hydrolysis of starch isn't done much any more
>> because the enzyme hydrolysis is more complete - results in more glucose.
>>

>My understanding is the reverse to what you say, but I have not looked
>into it very deeply.

What's the source of your understanding? I read something about the acid
hydrolysis being the older process - not used much anymore because it's
less complete; also not very clean results, high saltash content. Maybe
this was about hydrolysis of corn starch. Corn starch has a high protein
content, I think the tapioca starch is purer - so maybe the acid method
would work OK on tapioca starch. Where does one get sulfuric acid and
lime (that's what CaCO3 is?) that one would be confident in eating the end
products of the reaction?

Laura

>The other thing is that each enzyme has a temperature at which it works
>best, so holding it at just one temperature is probably not the best way
>to do it.

The alpha and beta amylases work at similar temperatures. 150 F is a
compromise.

Scott L

Lacustral wrote:
> Where does one get sulfuric acid and lime (that's what CaCO3
> is?) that one would be confident in eating the end products
> of the reaction?

Chemists are just as concerned with purity as the rest of us. They
don't want contaminants in their reactions any more than you want them
in your food. All chemical reagents come with an assay of the residual
contaminants as well as a material safety sheet.

> The alpha and beta amylases work at similar temperatures. 150 F is a

> compromise.

Why compromise? We have to compromise when brewing because the enzymes
come from the grain itself. But if you're ADDING enzymes, I don't see
why you don't just rest at the alpha amylase temperature and add the
enzymes, then let it cool off down to beta temperatures and add some
more enzymes.

Scott

Lacustral

Robert Hinterding ) wrote:

>The other question is - do you need glucose syrup, would sucrose from
>sugar cane or sugar beet do?

Is it easy to convert sucrose/fructose into glucose?

Laura
Scott L

Lacustral wrote:
> Is it easy to convert sucrose/fructose into glucose?

A sucrose is a disaccharide molecule consisting of a fructose and a
glucose bonded together.

Scott

Robert Hinterding

Lacustral wrote:
> Robert Hinterding ) wrote:
>
>>>I read on the net that acid hydrolysis of starch isn't done much any more
>>>because the enzyme hydrolysis is more complete - results in more glucose.

>>My understanding is the reverse to what you say, but I have not looked
>>into it very deeply.

> What's the source of your understanding? I read something about the acid
> hydrolysis being the older process - not used much anymore because it's
> less complete; also not very clean results, high saltash content. Maybe
> this was about hydrolysis of corn starch. Corn starch has a high protein
> content, I think the tapioca starch is purer - so maybe the acid method
> would work OK on tapioca starch. Where does one get sulfuric acid and
> lime (that's what CaCO3 is?) that one would be confident in eating the end
> products of the reaction?

Sorry, you were right. I found the article and re-read it. Have a look
at the following link which explain the process, the enzymes used and at
what temperatures they are used.
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/biology/enztech/starch.html

>>The other thing is that each enzyme has a temperature at which it works
>>best, so holding it at just one temperature is probably not the best way
>>to do it.

> The alpha and beta amylases work at similar temperatures. 150 F is a
> compromise.

In brewing this compromise is used to get a specific result in terms of
the ratio
fermentable and unfermentable sugars. You want all glucose, so the
compromise is not what you want.

Also the optimal temperature of the enzyme depends on where the enzymes
comes from, which grain or organism. Some of the bacterial
alpha-amylase will tolerate 100C.

To find the chemicals and enzymes, you will need to find enzyme
suppliers and chemical suppliers in your country. Also you will
want quantities very much smaller than they are used to supply.

Robert

Derric

>> Is it easy to convert sucrose/fructose into glucose?

> A sucrose is a disaccharide molecule consisting of a fructose and a
> glucose bonded together.

Cooks split the sucrose molecule all the time to make "invert sugar."
Basically heat sugar water with some acid (lemon juice). That breaks
the bond. Don't know if it's possible to then easily get the fructose
to glucose.

Also, glucose is the same as dextrose (which is what corn sugar is).

dug88

yes, but as far as boring goes, it reminds me of the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
as far as dull goes almost anything can create beer, if it is processed
properly.
even the opium poppy contains sugar which will ferment.
i doubt is so lethally inclined to poison their friends.
cassava is not available in canada
some places on this planet, this is their only chance for food.

your experiments will likely lead to death.
feeding that to a canuck in canada will give you lifetime imprisonment, with
no chance of parole.
OOPS is not good enough.

go to kill me if ya want newsgroups

death is a handy subject til ya have to lift up a cold lifeless best buddy.
because someday you will have to do it.
and you just won't joke about it ever again.

tell the prison warden ya want the view of the golf course.

oups.com...