FoodBanter.com

-   -   Wood for smoking (in Toronto Area)? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/60891-wood-smoking-toronto-area.html)

Daniel 17-05-2005 11:07 PM

Wood for smoking (in Toronto Area)?

Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood chunks
like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area

I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.

Maybe there are some farms or firewood places around Toronto that might sell
in bulk.

Any help you be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel.

Del Cecchi 18-05-2005 04:51 AM

"Daniel" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood chunks
> like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area
>
> I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.
>
> Maybe there are some farms or firewood places around Toronto that might
> sell in bulk.
>
> Any help you be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Daniel.

Some kinds of cherry grow wild, (choke, pin, sand). There is also Alder.
If there are orchards, go negotiate for trimmings.

del cecchi

Shaun aRe 18-05-2005 12:37 PM

"Daniel" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood chunks
> like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area
>
> I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.
>
> Maybe there are some farms or firewood places around Toronto that might

sell
> in bulk.
>
> Any help you be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Daniel.

Try seeking out a place that works with hardwoods/fruit woods etc. (oak and
cherry together I've had great success with - lovely flavour), maybe a
furniture/cabinet maker, and ask if you can have/buy some _clean_ chippings
or sawdust from them - I haven't had to do this myself, but several folk
gave me that tip, and said that's what they did, and most often got it for
free, too.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Graphic Queen 18-05-2005 05:07 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:37:48 +0100, "Shaun aRe"
> wrote:

>"Daniel" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood chunks
>> like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area
>>
>> I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.
>>
>> Maybe there are some farms or firewood places around Toronto that might

>sell
>> in bulk.
>>
>> Any help you be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Daniel.

>Try seeking out a place that works with hardwoods/fruit woods etc. (oak and
>cherry together I've had great success with - lovely flavour), maybe a
>furniture/cabinet maker, and ask if you can have/buy some _clean_ chippings
>or sawdust from them - I haven't had to do this myself, but several folk
>gave me that tip, and said that's what they did, and most often got it for
>free, too.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Shaun aRe

Better watch out or the anti-smoking idiots will be after you.

[email protected] 18-05-2005 08:04 PM

Daniel wrote:
> Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood

chunks
> like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area
>
> I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.

Toronto is awash in crab apple trees. If you don't have one a neighbour
does. The smoke from crab apple is sweet and tasty.

Cam

Shaun aRe 19-05-2005 12:09 PM

"Graphic Queen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:37:48 +0100, "Shaun aRe"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Daniel" > wrote in message
> >> Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood

chunks
> >> like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area
> >>
> >> I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.
> >>
> >> Maybe there are some farms or firewood places around Toronto that might

> >sell
> >> in bulk.
> >>
> >> Any help you be greatly appreciated.
> >> Thanks
> >> Daniel.

> >Try seeking out a place that works with hardwoods/fruit woods etc. (oak

and
> >cherry together I've had great success with - lovely flavour), maybe a
> >furniture/cabinet maker, and ask if you can have/buy some _clean_

chippings
> >or sawdust from them - I haven't had to do this myself, but several folk
> >gave me that tip, and said that's what they did, and most often got it

for
> >free, too.
> >
> >Cheers!
> >
> >Shaun aRe
> >

> Better watch out or the anti-smoking idiots will be after you.

You mean, they may say mean things to me on Usenet? Youch! ',;~}~

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Hairy 19-05-2005 01:15 PM

"Daniel" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood chunks
> like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area
>
> I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.
>
> Maybe there are some farms or firewood places around Toronto that might

sell
> in bulk.
>
> Any help you be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Daniel.

I get all my smoke wood free for the taking from a tree removal company.

Debbie 23-05-2005 11:36 AM

"Daniel" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know where I might to able to buy large amounts of wood chunks
> like Cherry, Apple, Pecan... etc... in the greater Toronto area
>
> I find the prices unreasonable at some of the stores like Sobies.
>
> Maybe there are some farms or firewood places around Toronto that might
> sell in bulk.

Not in the Toronto area, but I have purchased it at a local Canadian Tire
Store. This was a few years ago. Worth a phone call to see.

Debbie